BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Yet another example of Jackie Gleason drivers doing whatever the hell they want...

Twice today(in the morning and the afternoon) I've seen Bay Ridge bound buses in service on Bay Ridge Parkway instead of 78 Street turning left on Narrows and stopping in the middle of the intersection to pick up and drop off people. I mean they're screwing over 78 Street and Narrows Av

To be fair, it's only a couple of blocks, and some of those people might be equidistant to 78th Street vs. Bay Ridge Parkway (or might even be closer to Bay Ridge Parkway). The only problem is that it screws whatever few people are waiting at 78th & 4th, coming from the (R) train.

Now the stopping in the middle of the intersection part (if it's what I think you mean) is legitimately dangerous.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There seems to be TONS of newbies all over now.  What exactly is the deal?  As for Manhattanville, they have the SLOWEST drivers on earth.  Take any of the Madison Avenue buses during rush hour, and you'll see how slow they are.  Monday I had to be uptown off of 5th and below 125th.  I usually board in the 50's, but the trip takes so long with the slow driving that I actually jumped on the (4) and just got off at 86th to finish the trip.  Got a local M1 bus.  Boy was that a mistake.  The guy hit every light possible and had conversations with every passenger.  I said dude it's rush hour.  What sort of schedule is this guy on? I had to get off at 96th and just wait for a limited bus to come.

This is a combination of two things.

1. Vision Zero(also, the incident where an express bus mowed down a person that tried to sprint across 5th Avenue)

2. Complaints about buses running hot(some still do).

Bustime has been on their tail. My M3 today was held up at 5th Avenue and 72nd by a bustrek dispatcher for running 5 minutes early.

Edited by Cait Sith

This probie on the B52 Xcelsior 7278 is getting on my last damn nerves!!! He can't drive.... Can't pass cars, doesn't know how to merge and takes 6 years just to turn the damn corner.... Made me miss 2 connecting buses!!!! Ugh.... Someone get his slow ass off the road please!!!

I was finally able to catch one on Warren Av. #14 A couple months ago and it's definitely a step up from that Gillig trash. SMART hates those things!! Lol

Gonna talk DDOT for a bit, pardon me:

--Hmmm, interesting to hear artics on the 14, since that route's headways have been hugely increased over what they used to be.  Caught mine on the 21, but they've got at least 1 if not 2 running on the 53 throughout weekdays, and saw one Downtown going out on the 34.  I remember the old artics running the old 93 (Gratiot-Michigan) and 97 (Woodward-Jefferson) on a regular basis.

--Another surprise in Downtown: They must have resurrected the old #2 Get Around-Green Loop (didn't notice that in anything "official" with the latest schedule changes), saw a bus signed-up as that passing by Griswold/Larned 16 stop.

--SMART is finally getting the 35-40 DDOT New Flyers hitting the roads, tagged as 6xxx-series.  Noticed the first a couple weeks ago on a Woodward at the Fairgrounds, then caught one on the Pontiac 752.  All they did was change the seats out (don't think they messed with the mechanicals at all, because it was the same as the current crop), remove the "Please No Radio" stickers, add the cameras and the LED display.  Asked the operator how he liked the DDOT bus, and he seemed to be impressed.  He asked me a minor question, and I told him it was a long way from the old Gilligs, to which he smiled and nodded.  Once the SMART operators get a taste of those New Flyers, I think they'll be asking for those as the next orders approach (or encourage them to get more used-DDOTs).

Alright ... back to NYC ... haven't experienced Probies in quite awhile, but I'm sure there'll be a new crop rotating in soon enough (SMART's got a huge campaign about hiring operators).  Have to say from the ones I regularly dealt with in years past, ours seem "well-adjusted" and have good command of the bus and the route.  The ones I have a problem with are the older operators, who start routes late, poke along in traffic for no real reason (because they're not running hot), or dawdle noticeably when a wheelchair/scooter customer gets on/off with the restraints and the ramp.  They're also the ones who have their "friends" stand at the line, jawing with them, and not paying attention to driving the doggone bus.

Edited by DetSMART45

1. Vision Zero(also, the incident where an express bus mowed down a person that tried to sprint across 5th Avenue)

Bustime has been on their tail. My M3 today was held up at 5th Avenue and 72nd by a bustrek dispatcher for running 5 minutes early.

Had a good snicker at that.  The Gestapo gets after an M3 that, even though it's the Local, has three additional routes doing Limited, and at maximum, someone would have to go two whole blocks in either direction to get a M1/M2/M4 if they missed the M3.  But routes across the city that have no such overlap, those are permitted to have bunching or not start on time to begin with (which just leads to bunching as well).

Don't get me wrong:  I like to see things run on time.  But on any M-routes where there's overlap, that's hardly the place to break out the stopwatch.  Any of those runs which could *possibly* be running a bit hot could have that lost in no time further down the road.

Watching BusTime across the city, there are plenty of examples where significant gaps crop up.  Those are where the Gestapo should be concentrating their efforts.  Stop playing in Tourist-Central, and get out elsewhere.

Oh yes, definitely still a problem...

Had a good snicker at that.  The Gestapo gets after an M3 that, even though it's the Local, has three additional routes doing Limited, and at maximum, someone would have to go two whole blocks in either direction to get a M1/M2/M4 if they missed the M3.  But routes across the city that have no such overlap, those are permitted to have bunching or not start on time to begin with (which just leads to bunching as well).

Don't get me wrong:  I like to see things run on time.  But on any M-routes where there's overlap, that's hardly the place to break out the stopwatch.  Any of those runs which could *possibly* be running a bit hot could have that lost in no time further down the road.

Watching BusTime across the city, there are plenty of examples where significant gaps crop up.  Those are where the Gestapo should be concentrating their efforts.  Stop playing in Tourist-Central, and get out elsewhere.

Actually I disagree.  You have no idea how bad bus bunching is along Madison Avenue and 5th Avenue, and even with all of these buses overlapping, the waits can be quite bad.  Last night I waited almost 30 minutes for an M1 bus.  The bus was late, and the main reason appeared to be because the B/O was too busy trying to eat and drink.  I get on and see him eating some sort of nuts in a shell, which he would de-shell as he drove.  I was in a good mood so I didn't report him, but it was rather ridiculous.  I'm sure he got plenty of layover time too.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Oh yes, definitely still a problem...

Actually I disagree.  You have no idea how bad bus bunching is along Madison Avenue and 5th Avenue, and even with all of these buses overlapping, the waits can be quite bad.  Last night I waited almost 30 minutes for an M1 bus.  The bus was late, and the main reason appeared to be because the B/O was too busy trying to eat and drink.  I get on and see him eating some sort of nuts in a shell, which he would de-shell as he drove.  I was in a good mood so I didn't report him, but it was rather ridiculous.  I'm sure he got plenty of layover time too.

Yeah, I know what you're saying.  I can see tagging operators running hot during non-Peak times, or when headways adjust upward, when choices become more limited.  It's not a perfect world, but on overlap areas, scheduled service is running on 20 minutes even during evening (M1/2/3/4), with staggered arrivals.  Not trying to provoke anything, but anytime there's moaning here about those sort of waits, at least you have more choices.  Try getting around from BFE on 60 headways, transfers that don't line up without a 20-30 minute wait (some up to 40 or 50) -- and I'm talking weekday daytime, not 9 or 10pm -- and significant walking to attempt any secondary alternatives.

Yeah, I know what you're saying.  I can see tagging operators running hot during non-Peak times, or when headways adjust upward, when choices become more limited.  It's not a perfect world, but on overlap areas, scheduled service is running on 20 minutes even during evening (M1/2/3/4), with staggered arrivals.  Not trying to provoke anything, but anytime there's moaning here about those sort of waits, at least you have more choices.  Try getting around from BFE on 60 headways, transfers that don't line up without a 20-30 minute wait (some up to 40 or 50) -- and I'm talking weekday daytime, not 9 or 10pm -- and significant walking to attempt any secondary alternatives.

The problem is that even with the headways, the bunching can be so bad that you can have a pack of buses come all together and then a long wait.  You'd be surprised at how it works out.

The problem is that even with the headways, the bunching can be so bad that you can have a pack of buses come all together and then a long wait.  You'd be surprised at how it works out.

I'll go back to the fact that the MTA has been running these routes for oodles of time, and those thoroughfares are quite notorious for congestion anyways, so with all of their celebrated "professionals," something could have been done a long time ago to help mitigate those bunching problems.  Short-turns are used as band-aids on high traffic (vehicular and customer) routes when things get so bogged down, instead of being incorporated as part of a solution.  Nothing is going to be fool-proof, but there's much more thought that could be put into the dilemma instead of just throwing up the hands day after day.  Being proactive is less costly than constantly being reactive.

The problem is that some passengers are going to the non-overlapping portions of the route. Say somebody is at 96th & Madison and looking to travel to St. Nicholas & 135th in the evening, when frequencies are lower (so it makes it that much harder to take say, the M1 or M2, and it's after dark, so the person may feel uncomfortable walking longer distances).

Also, depending on the time of day, the bus may end up running early for the rest of the route, including any standalone portion. I was on an M101 a couple of weeks ago that was flooring it down Amsterdam Avenue, and the dispatchers called him and said he was 5 minutes early. At that point of the route, the bus has already made it through the delays of Midtown, and the crowds boarding and disembarking along 125th, so it's a straight run. If the dispatchers hadn't called him, he might've arrived at the terminal even more than 5 minutes early. (On a side note, props to that B/O being able to floor it like that. The stop I got off at was the one he was holding at). 

To be fair, it's only a couple of blocks, and some of those people might be equidistant to 78th Street vs. Bay Ridge Parkway (or might even be closer to Bay Ridge Parkway). The only problem is that it screws whatever few people are waiting at 78th & 4th, coming from the (R) train.

Now the stopping in the middle of the intersection part (if it's what I think you mean) is legitimately dangerous.

Yup he made the left and stopped with the front door in the crosswalk.

Alright, I'll admit it ......... TOTES sold on the Xcelsiors.  What a difference, no wait, what a F*cking difference, than the old (yeah, OLD) Gilligs I've dealt with.  And as icing on the cake, DDOT (the city) is outshining the suburbs (SMART).

God Almighty, I can't see how they've kept getting sold on Gillig cheapness over New Flyer performance.  I knew NF was good in the 90s, but they've kept it going, and even the "old" DDOT buses are impressing the current SMART drivers (after all they've been through already), when they're only 2 years "younger" than the 2002-3 fleet.

Soooo wishing we'd get some Xcelsiors instead of the CRAP "BRT"-Gilligs they've got ordered, methinks purely because of the "sleekness" factor, to "impress" the suburban crowd (who don't care/ride them anyways).

THANKS, you guys.  This little old website has exposed much (with your comments of course).  And a little more THANKS to ENY, since a little "hometown" carries a little more impact, with knowledge of the field.

(P.S. New Flyer ......... I'm open for an endorsement deal ............ [not holding my breath, OFC] ........... )

Alright, I'll admit it ......... TOTES sold on the Xcelsiors.  What a difference, no wait, what a F*cking difference, than the old (yeah, OLD) Gilligs I've dealt with.  And as icing on the cake, DDOT (the city) is outshining the suburbs (SMART).

God Almighty, I can't see how they've kept getting sold on Gillig cheapness over New Flyer performance.  I knew NF was good in the 90s, but they've kept it going, and even the "old" DDOT buses are impressing the current SMART drivers (after all they've been through already), when they're only 2 years "younger" than the 2002-3 fleet.

Soooo wishing we'd get some Xcelsiors instead of the CRAP "BRT"-Gilligs they've got ordered, methinks purely because of the "sleekness" factor, to "impress" the suburban crowd (who don't care/ride them anyways).

THANKS, you guys.  This little old website has exposed much (with your comments of course).  And a little more THANKS to ENY, since a little "hometown" carries a little more impact, with knowledge of the field.

(P.S. New Flyer ......... I'm open for an endorsement deal ............ [not holding my breath, OFC] ........... )

New Flyer is maintaining those Xcelsiors themselves, so they're in a whole other league with maintenance.

Edited by Cait Sith

Gonna talk DDOT for a bit, pardon me:

--Hmmm, interesting to hear artics on the 14, since that route's headways have been hugely increased over what they used to be.  Caught mine on the 21, but they've got at least 1 if not 2 running on the 53 throughout weekdays, and saw one Downtown going out on the 34.  I remember the old artics running the old 93 (Gratiot-Michigan) and 97 (Woodward-Jefferson) on a regular basis.

--Another surprise in Downtown: They must have resurrected the old #2 Get Around-Green Loop (didn't notice that in anything "official" with the latest schedule changes), saw a bus signed-up as that passing by Griswold/Larned 16 stop.

--SMART is finally getting the 35-40 DDOT New Flyers hitting the roads, tagged as 6xxx-series.  Noticed the first a couple weeks ago on a Woodward at the Fairgrounds, then caught one on the Pontiac 752.  All they did was change the seats out (don't think they messed with the mechanicals at all, because it was the same as the current crop), remove the "Please No Radio" stickers, add the cameras and the LED display.  Asked the operator how he liked the DDOT bus, and he seemed to be impressed.  He asked me a minor question, and I told him it was a long way from the old Gilligs, to which he smiled and nodded.  Once the SMART operators get a taste of those New Flyers, I think they'll be asking for those as the next orders approach (or encourage them to get more used-DDOTs).

Alright ... back to NYC ... haven't experienced Probies in quite awhile, but I'm sure there'll be a new crop rotating in soon enough (SMART's got a huge campaign about hiring operators).  Have to say from the ones I regularly dealt with in years past, ours seem "well-adjusted" and have good command of the bus and the route.  The ones I have a problem with are the older operators, who start routes late, poke along in traffic for no real reason (because they're not running hot), or dawdle noticeably when a wheelchair/scooter customer gets on/off with the restraints and the ramp.  They're also the ones who have their "friends" stand at the line, jawing with them, and not paying attention to driving the doggone bus.

Wow! I learned something new. Had no idea SMART was getting Flyers from DDOT. Reminds me of when the higher 9500's went over to DDOT back in the day. DDOT fell in love with the RTS all over again, and the rest was history! I haven't been keeping up as much as I used to and usually only get updates when I go home.

Just made a phone call took a look into it, and those are buses that were leased, and are now being resold to SMART.

My last day in Detroit I actually saw 2 artics on the Crosstown. I actually like them better than the newer 7000 series buses here in NYC. The takeoff is way too slow, and DDOT's buses take off like rockets. 

See I told you! lol. And again, to add on what to Shane (Cait Sith) mentioned. The 1000, and 4000 series D40LF's are all leased from New Flyer, and maintained by them as well. I'm not sure of all the contract details on the Xcelsiors, however I would imagine that maintenance is still contracted out to New Flyer. I know engine work is performed off Cass in Southwest Detroit by Cummins.

SMART never really wanted Gilligs after the disaster they had with the 9200 series Phantoms. However, they had never had New Flyer products, and Gillig was always the lowest bidder. Not sure if you are old enough to remember when the 9200's were brand new but SMART was so disgusted they said they would never order another Phantom.  Since they have had the Advantage, they have experienced frame cracking, front end pillar separations, suspension and break issues, as well as electrical problems and window and roof leaks. Unfortunately they haven't really been able to afford anything else. One of them even caught fire inside the Oakland terminal last spring while it was turned off.

New Flyer is maintaining those Xcelsiors themselves, so they're in a whole other league with maintenance.

OK, how new are you talking?  I know part of the newest 40s were "gifts" (more like "trade" material IMO) on an order that a Massachusetts TA had in with NF -- part of one of the "pity-parties" DDOT threw IIRC right after bankruptcy.  The delivery that had the artics (just in time for Biden's visit) was the newest of the new.  Or is Flyer doing all of the X's?  Asking just because I'm sure DDOT could have tried some weaseling with the D-low floors already in inventory as part of a "deal".  (Plus the fact that the SMART "sale" ones weren't only running on three wheels with half the chassis missing.  They actually appear to have had little done to them, outside of getting the seat trade-outs.)

Wow! I learned something new. Had no idea SMART was getting Flyers from DDOT. Reminds me of when the higher 9500's went over to DDOT back in the day. DDOT fell in love with the RTS all over again, and the rest was history! I haven't been keeping up as much as I used to and usually only get updates when I go home.

Just made a phone call took a look into it, and those are buses that were leased, and are now being resold to SMART.

My last day in Detroit I actually saw 2 artics on the Crosstown. I actually like them better than the newer 7000 series buses here in NYC. The takeoff is way too slow, and DDOT's buses take off like rockets. 

See I told you! lol. And again, to add on what to Shane (Cait Sith) mentioned. The 1000, and 4000 series D40LF's are all leased from New Flyer, and maintained by them as well. I'm not sure of all the contract details on the Xcelsiors, however I would imagine that maintenance is still contracted out to New Flyer. I know engine work is performed off Cass in Southwest Detroit by Cummins.

SMART never really wanted Gilligs after the disaster they had with the 9200 series Phantoms. However, they had never had New Flyer products, and Gillig was always the lowest bidder. Not sure if you are old enough to remember when the 9200's were brand new but SMART was so disgusted they said they would never order another Phantom.  Since they have had the Advantage, they have experienced frame cracking, front end pillar separations, suspension and break issues, as well as electrical problems and window and roof leaks. Unfortunately they haven't really been able to afford anything else. One of them even caught fire inside the Oakland terminal last spring while it was turned off.

Only reason I knew it was because moseying through the RFPs.  BUT --- thought it fell through, because nothing was apparently happening.  New Hybrids were replacing the 2001s (3007 I believe and above), and even the RFP had a "tentative" quality to it.  Sounded like a fishing expedition looking for a guesstimate of refurbing DDOT stock, which one could extrapolate meant some serious work could be necessary, so if price was too high, nix the whole idea.  And that's what I thought happened.  Just as a guess, I'd say RFP went out around Mar/Apr 2015, with a target of 35-40 Flyers (natch, of their discretion).  Saw three Oaklands IRL, one on Macomb via our "BusTime" -- 6012 I think was the first (green scheme), last week on 752 was a blue scheme (didn't catch the number), and just today 6002 was NIS and turned into a 415 at the Fairgrounds in blue.

I thought those Phantoms were the bridge between the last TMC RTSes (the 90s ones were still 'mandatory' front-door only at first and then no backdoor) and the first lowfloors, which replaced the last Pontiac-generated GMCs.  Lowfloors came about after the millage first started IIRC, and began the stupidity of getting 29s and 35s for "appearance" sake.

TBH, the Gilligs were OK with about 5 years on the clock.  The 2001s were more than ready for the knackers yard when they got put out to pasture at the beginning of 2015.  Now, you can tell they're not even making an attempt at keeping the 2002/3s up.  Mechanically, yeah ... but the windows are rattling badly, back partitions are mostly broken off the floor securement (35s/40s), lots of issues with the pullcords, roof leaks around the back vents, and the seat inserts are just about ready for a Park-and-Ride quilting bee.  The 2003 29s are in very good shape, with the only thing needing attention being the windows (latches on some) and the step flooring.  On the ENTIRE fleet, annunciators/LED/GPS work depending on whatever day they decide to -- operators could obviously care less.  And about the only thing good with new buses is that someone actually found a way to make the destination signs work faster than every 5 seconds.  Obviously that person must be keeping that secret a secret, since no 2002/3s -- flipdot or LED -- have been updated.

It's sad, but the fleets have completely reversed.  Gone are the days of snickering while passing a DDOT bus with a broken kneeler tooling up Van Dyke or onboard a 38 going down the Lodge sounding like the engine was mere moments from completely falling out by the noise it was making (true stories, both).  Now it's the shake, rattle and roll of the suburban buses.

I want some old DDOT Flyers, or even retired Nova RTSes.  It's gotten that shitty.  So much for that millage increase.

So I'm riding an old MCI right now and I realized that if you put one seat all the way forward and the other reclined all the way back, you can sit on the reclined seat and use the forward seat as a pillow. Great for naps

So I'm riding an old MCI right now and I realized that if you put one seat all the way forward and the other reclined all the way back, you can sit on the reclined seat and use the forward seat as a pillow. Great for naps

LOL .... I'd like to say something more, but being that the PC-Police may be lurking, or someone might have their feelings hurt, I'll refrain.

On a side note, do MTA artics allow the operator to just open the back door or are the mid- and back-door connected for stop requests?  DDOT artics (Xcelsiors) open both, whether someone wants out in back or at the middle.  I know you guys are a bit different in that both doors are probably going to be used anyway, but I thought the door-release would be "notched" to allow for separate back- and mid-door control, similar to the way any other bus would be (i.e. open back door only vs both front and back on 40s and others so equipped with a secondary door).

LOL .... I'd like to say something more, but being that the PC-Police may be lurking, or someone might have their feelings hurt, I'll refrain.

On a side note, do MTA artics allow the operator to just open the back door or are the mid- and back-door connected for stop requests? DDOT artics (Xcelsiors) open both, whether someone wants out in back or at the middle. I know you guys are a bit different in that both doors are probably going to be used anyway, but I thought the door-release would be "notched" to allow for separate back- and mid-door control, similar to the way any other bus would be (i.e. open back door only vs both front and back on 40s and others so equipped with a secondary door).

The middle door is wired with the back door. If you turn the handle to "rear", both the middle & back doors would open

The middle door is wired with the back door. If you turn the handle to "rear", both the middle & back doors would open

Heh, that explains some of your problems with farebeating.  At least the Detroit folks are a bit more honest.  Then again, the operators I've encountered on DDOT artics have eyes in the backs of their heads, because not much gets missed.  Just today, operator almost kicked off someone at the back (verrry back), for what she must've caught in the mirror while we were stopped with about 5 boarding.  Didn't catch her whole convo, but she was definitely not playing.  And it wasn't a full house, either.

So if the NJ Strike occurs, there's a possibility of the SI express via NJ running via Brooklyn instead. If that happens, I hope they do that. Going through the Lincoln Tunnel would be straight suicide.

They're going to do that.

But this strike is going to divert traffic to so many places. West Street and the BB Tunnel and such will get slammed harder than normal. The Holland Tunnel is going to have traffic for blocks and blocks.

Edited by Cait Sith

So if the NJ Strike occurs, there's a possibility of the SI express via NJ running via Brooklyn instead. If that happens, I hope they do that. Going through the Lincoln Tunnel would be straight suicide.

chances are they will take the X31 AM route to go to and from the city 

But something will need to be done about the X1, X10, and X17 going on 6th ave during PM rush the Holland Tunnel will be beyond f****** and it will definitely overflow to 6th ave.

Edited by IAlam