BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I try to get the Q10, I'm usually at either Kew Gardens or Liberty Av. If possible, I would try JFK airport as well.

I usually just walk the whole line (or at least from Queens Blvd to Rockaway Blvd as it's only 3 miles). I'd say the Queens Blvd to Rockaway is pretty good if you're waiting for it, but the best places are probably Kew Gardens, Metropolitan Ave, Jamaica Ave, Atlantic Avenue, and Rockaway Ave. JFK's pretty good to, you might wanna look out for any a**hole-type security folks if you decide to fan there...

Take the road less traveled, go for the areas that weren't already covered...like Kew Gardens lol

...I usually go along the local line around the backdoor entrance to JFK for photos, no one goes out there.

Thanks. I have no idea about the areas along that route as I've only see it through photos here and on Youtube. I'm probably going to take the Lefferts (A) and start from there (I really don't want to do (R) to the (E)(F) again-that was waaay too long)

Okay so today, I went to the movies to see London Has Fallen and it was great. I left my apartment around 3:10pm to catch my 4:30pm movie but the Q113 LTD didn't come until 3:40pm. I did saw two Q114 LTD buses came like 6 or 8 minutes apart. I was going to take it but I didn't bother and decide to wait for the Q113 LTD for nearly 30 minutes. I usually take the Q114 LTD on weekends if I don't see the Q113 LTD at the layover. When the Q113 LTD bus came, I didn't reach to Jamaica until 4:36pm and I end up catching the 5:00pm movie instead. I normally go to the movies on Saturdays. I don't really pay attention to bus schedules but when my movie finished around 6:46pm, I walked towards Archer Av/160th Street for my bus. There were like 4 or 5 people ahead of me and 6 others behind me at the bus stop. When I saw the Q114 local, I didn't bother to get on and I step aside to let others board the bus and I was the only one at the bus stop waiting for the Q113 LTD. However, one of the last passengers that got on the bus told me if I was waiting for the Q113 LTD and I said "yeah" and he told me that the Q113 LTD was not running. So I had no choice but to take the local. I don't really know the bus schedule by hard, which is ashame but why have the Q113 LTD end so early? I just looked online for the schedule and the last one leaves at 6:10pm on Sundays compare to 9:30pm on Saturdays.

The frequency drops off on Sunday evenings. Once the headway gets to 20 minutes, that means if they run the limited service, the local stops will get served every 40 minutes. When they first started it, they had it where the Q114 LTD ran for most of the evening (while the Q113 ended early), but people complained about overcrowded locals, so they had it run the current pattern.

Here's one for ya: Do MTA customers ring the bell for the terminal stop?  Don't see it on DDOT, but on SMART, we could have a relatively full bus ending the route to transfer to DDOT, and some bonehead rings the bell for the terminal.  We also have routes that pass-through a transfer center, where the bus stops at all times (sometimes for a small layover), and people ring the bell for those as well.  On those, more than one operator has told people, "You don't need to ring the bell, I have to stop here anyways."  Almost as irritating as people trying to re-ring the bell when the stop-request has already been made and flashing on the ceiling sign.

Here's one for ya: Do MTA customers ring the bell for the terminal stop?  Don't see it on DDOT, but on SMART, we could have a relatively full bus ending the route to transfer to DDOT, and some bonehead rings the bell for the terminal.  We also have routes that pass-through a transfer center, where the bus stops at all times (sometimes for a small layover), and people ring the bell for those as well.  On those, more than one operator has told people, "You don't need to ring the bell, I have to stop here anyways."  Almost as irritating as people trying to re-ring the bell when the stop-request has already been made and flashing on the ceiling sign.

Yes, it happen sometimes on my route approaching the last stop. Also it happens a lot when approaching to Jamaica Center(transportation hub). It is obvious that the bus will have to stop there anyways since it's a major transfer point to other buses and subways before making a few couple of stops.

A white middle school kid who was wearing a black hoodie and had his pants "down" and a snapback hat cocked at an angle on his head.

Speaks volumes about the American culture (a topic for another time); I thought it was a senior that said that about the RTS  given the fact most prefer the low floor for their easy access.

I remember when BP got the Orion V ex-Bee, those buses sounded horrible. It took awhile for them to fix the problem. The last time I rode it was 2 years ago. How are they holding up(whatever depot it is)?

I remember catching Orion V's on the Q112 every weekend on Saturday. Hybrids on that line were few and this was back in 2012.

In my opinion they sounded good for the first two years at MTA bus. Afterwards they sounded bad. I remember 102 and a few others sounding horrible.

Is the X21 closest to Yukon or Castelton?

Much closer to Yukon. It basically has to pass by Yukon on its way to Castleton. (Yukon is a few blocks off from Richmond Avenue, but you get the point).

I don't know how familiar you are with SI, but the Yukon Depot is basically the S44 & S61 terminal, while Castleton is basically the X10 & 14 terminal. Look at where the X21 terminates and you have your answer.