BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SO they were repairing on the Q44sbs machines and I kid you not, it was running on windows 95, WHY???

I think it's a version of Windows CE/2000, not 95. Most of the machines and the FIND displays on the R160s work with Windows CE/2000. I think it's some kind of corporate version, forgot the story.

In January yea.

Oh wow that soon. The Q64 could really benefit from articulated buses during the rush hours. I use that route just about everyday and I can tell you that buses are usually packed before it finishes picking up before before the Grand Central and Van Wyck. Artics running every 4 to 5 minutes should do the trick.

I think it's a version of Windows CE/2000, not 95. Most of the machines and the FIND displays on the R160s work with Windows CE/2000. I think it's some kind of corporate version, forgot the story.

would a version that old even be secure?

What does BP get back for giving up the Q64

That's losing runs right there... I'm sure those senior BO's won't be too happy about that

With the artics coming in, I think they'll sleep a night; considering the small raise in driving the artics....

Losing a short route like Q64 ain't gonna kill them.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

With the artics coming in, I think they'll sleep a night; considering the small raise in driving the artics....

Losing a short route like Q64 ain't gonna kill them.

You probably have a good 18-20 rush hour runs on that route. It's short, but it's frequent.

You probably have a good 18-20 rush hour runs on that route. It's short, but it's frequent.

Frequent, yeah! Some of us are aware of the routes frequency, of course. I was speaking about the fact that with the artics coming at BP, the depot's capacity might, umm.... shift(?) slightly which can result in the Q64 to move CP unless something has change. I mean, it's a possibility but not really set in stone, right?

Meh. Screw it, who am I to know....

I still cannot figure out why the Q69 bunches on Sundays, when there are about 3 or 4 buses at a time on the entire line.

Weekend service has been "addressed" over the past few years of schedule 'adjustments' yet somehow there are still issues.  How'd that happen?

Frequent, yeah! Some of us are aware of the routes frequency, of course. I was speaking about the fact that with the artics coming at BP, the depot's capacity might, umm.... shift(?) slightly which can result in the Q64 to move CP unless something has change. I mean, it's a possibility but not really set in stone, right?

Meh. Screw it, who am I to know....

I spoke to a couple of good sources that work in BP... They aren't losing the Q64...

So we can kill this for now

It's not frequent enough to be worth it (since if you miss a bus while fumbling for a a MetroCard, you have to wait for the next one), and dwell time isn't as big of an issue as other routes.

Ohh that's the reason? Well now I agree with that. Thought it was because of worrying about fare beaters which makes no sense. Yeah 6+ headways is long if you miss your bus for trying to pay at a machine.

I spoke to a couple of good sources that work in BP... They aren't losing the Q64...

So we can kill this for now

Problem is, it's too early for them to know. Details for the system pick usually come out by the fall.

Man, I waited almost 30 minutes for the Q113 LTD this morning. I lost count on how many Q22's came and went. I arrived at the bus stop at 9:15am and the bus came around 9:42am. The bus stop was crowded and the Q113 LTD came and dropped of the last passengers before changing the sign to "Not In Service". Another bus arrived at the layover and stayed there for like a good 6 minutes. Another came and and everyone was saying that the two buses got a lot of nerve to sit at the layover and wait, knowing that they were late.

What is it with the BM2 bunching during the late evening hours? There's two BM2's bunched together on the Prospect Expwy (they're not BM1 or BM3 buses). This is the second time I've seen this within a week. 

EDIT: And there's also two BM1's bunching now. This is the nerve. No wonder ridership is dropping on these lines faster than the other expresses. Service is so unreliable.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Man, I waited almost 30 minutes for the Q113 LTD this morning. I lost count on how many Q22's came and went. I arrived at the bus stop at 9:15am and the bus came around 9:42am. The bus stop was crowded and the Q113 LTD came and dropped of the last passengers before changing the sign to "Not In Service". Another bus arrived at the layover and stayed there for like a good 6 minutes. Another came and and everyone was saying that the two buses got a lot of nerve to sit at the layover and wait, knowing that they were late.

Where was this ?

Parsons or Seagirt ?

I want it to be clear: I am NOT personally against Fresh Pond (nor any other Moderator here), but am only reacting to the comment made.  Common-sense overrules everything, and is the cheapest thing out there (which too many, once they get "promoted", seem to disregard, irregardless of place).

DDOT almost purposely pulls ALL of their 2015 Xcelsiors from weekend service to maintain them (whether that be their own policy or in conjunction with New Flyer).  And because of that, when they're out doing the heavy loads of weekday work, they're in the best shape possible -- and that affects not only the customers, but also the Operators, in the way the service, overall, is perceived.

Cleanliness is very important, otherwise why would the NYC government have restaurants post their grades at the entry (as an example)?

It was very out of the ordinary -- but VERY much a "+1" -- when I saw a DDOT operator cleaning a new XD40 while on layover (yes, couldn't believe it).  Smelled the cleaner residue (and noticed the shiny stainless steel/up-front panels when boarding) soon afterwards.  No trash on the floor or on the seats, and we had a full load (with standees) by the end of the trip.  Walked through on the way to the back door at the end, and everything was remarkably clean.  Similar experience on an artic earlier in the week as well.

Set the bar high, and people will meet or exceed it -- on their own.  Set it low, they'll lower their standards.  A proper gatekeeper is all that's necessary.

I was going to leave this comment alone, and VG8's response because I was out of town dealing with some important business at the time. I've gone back and re-read what you and VG8 were trying to get across. Unfortunately it seemed to go over many people's heads. The cleanliness or lack of it falls on the ridership and the (MTA) IMO. Let's face it many New Yorkers are nasty pigs and I'll state that no matter how many get offended by it. I challenge anyone to travel through JFK, or LGA airport and compare those places to the airports at Charlotte or Orlando. Ride the DC Metro and compare it to the NYC subway. I've never been to Detroit but I've read your posts so I feel I have a sense of how the equipment out there is taken care of. I was a M/M on the subway for many years and I saw the condition of those cars from the yard to the terminals. If I was at my terminal and the cleaner assigned to my location wasn't available for some reason I would mop out my cab and the first car. It wasn't my job but there was no way I would make a 90 minute trip with the smell of food, soda, beer, or urine wafting through my nostrils. I've seen other TA employees take it upon themselves to do the same when the situation arose. In all my years no supervisor or union rep questioned me about "doing someone else job" or working " out of title ". I'll point out that when the R62 and R62A subway cars were brand new we, the train crew, were empowered to take a train out of service for cleanliness as well as for graffiti . It ultimately falls on the ridership, as well as the front-line (MTA) employee, bus or subway, on how clean the ride will be. I'd advocate giving the B/O the power to remove a bus from service if it becomes a nasty health problem. Instead of bragging about new buses or trains or proposing hiring more cleaners maybe some people should look in the mirror or around the bus they're on and realize the problem is all around you. Why waste money on new vehicles when it's obvious some folks don't appreciate what they already have. Just my rant. Maybe some people should take the time to re-read what you and VG8 were trying to say. I worked for the (MTA) and I'm a union man but I don't need any apologists for how I carried myself. It's how I was raised. Carry on.