BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Is there an option order for the new Prevost? I thought they were supposed to retire all of the old MCIs. I still see about 20 or so running around in S.I & wasn't UP supposed to get all the 2011 2400s? Meredith still has about 20. I feel like they are about 35-40 short.

I believe there is no option order for this Prevost order.

(MTA) decided to switch things up between Ulmer Park and Meredith Avenue Depot when it came down to the 2400's.

Side note: Spotted 5410 and 5411 at the paint facility.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is SBS just an excuse to get bus lanes approved?

And it's not going over the Willamsburg Bridge?

And the Willy B shuttle buses are operating on local streets to Bedford Av instead of the BQE to Lorimer and the (G)?

Not well thought out MTA.

The BQE is a parking lot all day, and if the WB bridge ramps to the BQE are used, then the closest entrance/exit is McGuinness Blvd/Humboldt Street.

And the Willy B shuttle buses are operating on local streets to Bedford Av instead of the BQE to Lorimer and the  (G)?

The M14 SBS might go north (away from the bridge) when it reaches the East Side unlike the local M14 buses that go south towards the bridge...

I'd take plan one any day. Shuttle buses over the Willy B, the M14, M23, and M34A all having SBS and meeting at 20th Street/FDR Drive to a special ferry? Plan #1 is definitely much more thorough.

Plan two has no shuttle bus over the bridge, no dedicated ferry out of 20th Street, and (L) trains in Manhattan running on 12-15 minute headways all day.

And the Willy B shuttle buses are operating on local streets to Bedford Av instead of the BQE to Lorimer and the  (G)?

The M14 SBS might go north (away from the bridge) when it reaches the East Side unlike the local M14 buses that go south towards the bridge...

And the Willy B shuttle buses are operating on local streets to Bedford Av instead of the BQE to Lorimer and the (G)?

No point in sending an already congested route over an already congested bridge. And the distance from Bedford to Lorimer is short(you can literally walk it), no point in taking the BQE.

Is SBS just an excuse to get bus lanes approved?

The BQE is a parking lot all day, and if the WB bridge ramps to the BQE are used, then the closest entrance/exit is McGuinness Blvd/Humboldt Street.

This is more like an attempt to appease L riders than to get Bus Lanes approved.

Edited by Cait Sith

M14 SBS confirmed:05-l-canarsie-tunnel-map-2.nocrop.w1366.05-l-canarsie-tunnel-map-1.nocrop.w1366.

M23 SBS in the first map, but not the second map. Is there something I missed?

Where will the shuttle buses come from? 

Most likely either Grand Av or Quill. Those are the two closest depots to the shuttle bus.

Now, this M14 to 23rd street, Would this become a M14B (as in bus to Brooklyn I mean the Williamsburg ferry) or just make an M14a/d branch?)

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Most likely either Grand Av or Quill. Those are the two closest depots to the shuttle bus.

Now, this M14 to 23rd street, Would this become a M14B (as in bus to Brooklyn I mean the Williamsburg ferry) or just make an M14a/d branch?)

Doesn't matter which one is the closest, it all depends on the demand. Pretty sure it's mostly going to be covered by Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Edited by Cait Sith

I wouldn't want an inconsistent depot like Grand Avenue to be covering an SBS. Especially if it's the M14. Hopefully most of the workload can go to Quill since they have the capacity. Not too certain with GA and plus they house the CMF at the depot.

Hopefully TA makes the right decision with this one.

Of course. How'd you think they covered the A shuttle when Sandy destroyed it? There's always a spare factor.

True, although I'll be intrigued to see if we get a Bus Company / NYCB split like the A shuttle had. Of course, there've been more of those recently (1 shuttle comes to mind), so maybe that's less controversial than it used to be.

I wouldn't want an inconsistent depot like Grand Avenue to be covering an SBS. Especially if it's the M14. Hopefully most of the workload can go to Quill since they have the capacity. Not too certain with GA and plus they house the CMF at the depot.

Hopefully TA makes the right decision with this one.

The CMF at Grand Av on the 2nd floor has nothing to do with the actual depot operations on the 1st floor. Its just convenient that they share a building.

Wait a second...

In that map they have the (J) making all stops from Myrtle to Broadway Junction and the (Z) only stops at Myrtle, Gates and Chauncey. Are they really gonna do that?

Which could only mean more trains on the (J).

But also extra service on the (M) and (G) becomes full length during the construction as indicated on the proposal.

What I'd assume is that depending on the option they choose if there is no service at all, then they would expedite SBS to be on both the M23 ann M14 and create a new ferry between williamsburg and 23rd st

In the second option that ferry doesn't exist so either the M23 would be irrelevant for the map, or put on hold to complete the M14 SBS first.  

Wait a second...

In that map they have the (J) making all stops from Myrtle to Broadway Junction and the (Z) only stops at Myrtle, Gates and Chauncey. Are they really gonna do that?

Remember the (J) make those stops during off peak hours 

From Marcy to Myrtle:

idk if 3 lines could even be handled on one track 

Edited by IAlam

Remember the (J) make those stops during off peak hours 

From Marcy to Myrtle:

idk if 3 lines could even be handled on one track 

Yeah, but the point is to alternate with the (Z). If you have a full express run on the (Z) and nothing on the (J), then there will be uneven spacing (either on the Queens end or Manhattan end)

And all 3 lines go over the Willy B already. All you're doing is moving the merge point.

Yeah, but the point is to alternate with the (Z). If you have a full express run on the (Z) and nothing on the (J), then there will be uneven spacing (either on the Queens end or Manhattan end)

it listed in the thin text cause when the (Z) runs the (J) doesn't stop there when the (Z) isn't running, which is all other times outside of rush hour the (J) makes all stops