BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone knows which XD60 was the first bus to be painted and not wrapped in the new scheme?

I think somewhere around 5412 was the first one. 

Wait...Some of them are painted?

Those are the ones that came in the plain white. The rest will be painted straight from the factory. 

#RantSunday this shit is f**king stressful working on the weekend and using the MTA.

Please tell me why they got three mother f**king b6 bunching on a Sunday; long ass lines first bus packed to shit and the other too just seat there on some long as layover later on down the line to have them zoom past the first bus playing tag

And they wonder why bus ridership is going down

#RantSunday this shit is f**king stressful working on the weekend and using the MTA.

Please tell me why they got three mother f**king b6 bunching on a Sunday; long ass lines first bus packed to shit and the other too just seat there on some long as layover later on down the line to have them zoom past the first bus playing tag

And they wonder why bus ridership is going down

Language...tone it down a notch

That's Ulmer Park for you...the worst when it comes to stuff like that.

The simple problem is that Ulmer Park has the proper headways to create a Sunday like Limited Service on the B6.

The other problem is (MTA) won't bulge to give UP Sunday service like FB, JG and FP which has Sunday service on the following lines.

B41, B46 (FB), B35 (JG), B38 (FP).

So when you see 3-4 buses coming from 1 direction going to East New York, and the lonely bus going to Rockaway Parkway..

Blame Ulmer Park Management not going to MTA brass and asking for Sunday Limited Service.

That's Ulmer Park for you...the worst when it comes to stuff like that.

It seems as if most if not all the over depots have the same issue sadly.

The simple problem is that Ulmer Park has the proper headways to create a Sunday like Limited Service on the B6.

The other problem is (MTA) won't bulge to give UP Sunday service like FB, JG and FP which has Sunday service on the following lines.

B41, B46 (FB), B35 (JG), B38 (FP).

So when you see 3-4 buses coming from 1 direction going to East New York, and the lonely bus going to Rockaway Parkway..

Blame Ulmer Park Management not going to MTA brass and asking for Sunday Limited Service.

I'm fine with no LTD on Sundays as long as the buses  same on schedule; it makes no sense for a 10:04,10:15,10:27 Buses all show up all at once. The 10:04  is going to be packed on the return trip while the other two run light all the way back. Someone  should've reset them from the terminal so they maintain the schedule it's not rocket science just plain common sense.

There's several things wrong with this detour:

Service Change

Posted: 05/31/2016 7:16AM

QM4, QM15, QM16, QM17 and QM18 buses are detoured, due to NYPD activity on 6 Av between 53 St and 54 St.

Detour is as follows:

Eastbound: Via 6 Av, right on 60 St, left on Madison Av, right on 57 St and regular route.

Corresponding stops will be made along Madison Av.

Allow additional travel time.

It seems as if most if not all the over depots have the same issue sadly.

I'm fine with no LTD on Sundays as long as the buses same on schedule; it makes no sense for a 10:04,10:15,10:27 Buses all show up all at once. The 10:04 is going to be packed on the return trip while the other two run light all the way back. Someone should've reset them from the terminal so they maintain the schedule it's not rocket science just plain common sense.

I've made a issue about this a while ago.

However, with all the subway GO's and shuttle buses that are going on, and the inadequate amount of fleet right now. Can't have limited service on Sundays for the B6. Hopefully something changes soon. You have 4 buses trailing down during the AM and 4 during the PM thus having these buses running ???????????? towards ENY. This doesn't makes sense at all.

However, with all the subway GO's and shuttle buses that are going on, and the inadequate amount of fleet right now. Can't have limited service on Sundays for the B6. Hopefully something changes soon. You have 4 buses trailing down during the AM and 4 during the PM thus having these buses running towards ENY. This doesn't makes sense at all.

I don't see why they can't have Limited-Stop service Sundays on the B6.  This is one thing that annoys me with the (MTA).  I am tired of them scaling back service on Sundays.  I mean it's 2016 not 1976. People work in the city 7 days a week in some cases or are out and about and I don't understand why they don't get this.  They may argue that fewer people use transit on Sundays, but part of that is because the (MTA) runs crap service.  I know quite a few people don't go out on Sunday because they don't want to deal with long waits.  It's time for them to provide similar levels of service on Sunday as they do on Saturday throughout the system.  They are getting all of these new buses.  What's the point if they aren't going to improve service?  The other thing that can't happen soon enough... Them getting rid of those old nasty artics.  Those buses are so incredibly filthy.  They shouldn't even charge for the ride.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I don't see why they can't have Limited-Stop service Sundays on the B6.  This is one thing that annoys me with the (MTA).  I am tired of them scaling back service on Sundays.  I mean it's 2016 not 1976. People work in the city 7 days a week in some cases or are out and about and I don't understand why they don't get this.  They may argue that fewer people use transit on Sundays, but part of that is because the (MTA) runs crap service.  I know quite a few people don't go out on Sunday because they don't want to deal with long waits.  It's time for them to provide similar levels of service on Sunday as they do on Saturday throughout the system.  They are getting all of these new buses.  What's the point if they aren't going to improve service?  The other thing that can't happen soon enough... Them getting rid of those old nasty artics.  Those buses are so incredibly filthy.  They shouldn't even charge for the ride.

Your point about Sunday service is definitely valid as well, but this (emboldened) is the very thing that's annoying me about this agency as of late.... I'm tired of hearing how cash strapped the MTA is, when they're threatening to raise fares again, this & this, and that, but there are these new buses all over the place.... Nobody's saying you have to ride the older buses til the wheels fall off, but this is too much too soon.... IDK what they're trying to prove here....

I've always said this, you only hear people cry broke when it's something they don't want to come out of pocket for.....

I've got a few questions for my Surface folks, especially those familiar with Brooklyn. Every weekday morning about 5:30 or so there's a B41 on Bustime heading n/b for Empire Blvd. where it terminates. It vanishes from Bustime so for a few days I tried to find this bus. One morning, on Bustime, there was a notation that the next stop was Eastern Parkway and Nostrand Avenue which is on the B44 route. Two questions here. Why Eastern Parkway and Nostrand instead of Empire Blvd and Nostrand? What route does it take to get to Eastern Parkway? I know there aren't many posters up and about at that time but I'm just curious. My other question pertains to what appears to be small deviations on some Brooklyn routes that may be special (school) trips. Again, from Bustime, B6 e/b stop at Flatlands and Elton, with a B20 stop too, B12 at old Wingate HS at Kingston and Rutland, , B6 at East 45th St and Glenwood Rd., and a B41 stop at Fillmore and Stuart St among others. Last question pertains to all of these routings and those I haven't mentioned like the B46 at East 68th and Avenue N. Are these just starting points for these runs or are they also destination points with special signage?  Before I forget the obvious question about my B41 to Empire. Why not run it to the Junction as a B41 and turn it into a B44 there ,n/b or s/b ?Thanks in advance people.

However, with all the subway GO's and shuttle buses that are going on, and the inadequate amount of fleet right now. Can't have limited service on Sundays for the B6. Hopefully something changes soon. You have 4 buses trailing down during the AM and 4 during the PM thus having these buses running towards ENY. This doesn't makes sense at all.

Why not? You simply slap a "LIMITED" sign on the existing buses running to/from ENY and call it a day. So the buses run every 14-15 minutes instead of every 12 minutes, big deal. Better than waiting a half hour and having 4 show up at once.

As far as the fleet, that is the worst excuse I've ever heard. If they have enough buses to run Saturday service, they have enough for Sunday service. GOs are generally the whole weekend, not Sunday only. Not increasing frequencies is purely about not wanting to pay the B/Os for the extra runs (and an increase in frequency from 7 minute headways to 6 minute headways would require a whopping 17% more B/Os for that particular route, going off the lazy assumption that the running time and layover time remains the same, which is obviously unlikely as the limiteds will be able to move through the route quicker)

Labor costs are the main issue with the MTA financially speaking. I personally feel that the unions will always complain about the finances as a way to gain (or cry for) more funding for the agency which will in turn use it to bloat salaries each time contracts are negotiated. I'm usually a fan of labor unions but the unions behind labor in NYCT are a little too strong for their own good.