BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I lucky if I say that I took the M35 one time to not pay the express fare the X80, and didn't witness any issues on the bus? 

That happened last summer when I got on the M35 to the station, majority of passengers paid a quarter or a penny to get on 

Edited by CH3348

So I'm playing around with Bustime a few hours ago and I decided to track the Q24 and Q56 routes for fun. Something started bugging me with the Q24 but I couldn't put my hands on it. I run a few errands and go back to Bustime again on my tablet. I think I found the cause of my confusion. Where does this route terminate in Brooklyn? I've always thought it was at Lafayette Avenue. Bustime shows an abbreviation of Lafayette Street. which I'm unfamiliar with over there. Someone help me out here. What are the buses signed up for as to the destination? Just curious. Carry on.

So I'm playing around with Bustime a few hours ago and I decided to track the Q24 and Q56 routes for fun. Something started bugging me with the Q24 but I couldn't put my hands on it. I run a few errands and go back to Bustime again on my tablet. I think I found the cause of my confusion. Where does this route terminate in Brooklyn? I've always thought it was at Lafayette Avenue. Bustime shows an abbreviation of Lafayette Street. which I'm unfamiliar with over there. Someone help me out here. What are the buses signed up for as to the destination? Just curious. Carry on.

They are signed up as:

LAFAYETTE AV

PATCHEN AV

I have a curious question.

Are there other bus routes like the X80?

There was the X81 which ran from Woodside LIRR (7) station to Randall's Island via the Grand Central Parkway and Triboro RFK Bridge. It hasn't ran for a while so it's most likely gone and if I'm not mistaken LGA depot ran the route.

There was the X81 which ran from Woodside LIRR (7) station to Randall's Island via the Grand Central Parkway and Triboro RFK Bridge. It hasn't ran for a while so it's most likely gone and if I'm not mistaken LGA depot ran the route.

The X81 was discontinued

X80 Lex-125th to Randall's Island

X81 Woodside to Randall's Island

X82 Inwood-Dyckman Street to Randall's Island

X83 Yankee Stadium to Randall's Island

X84 Shea Stadium to Randall's Island

X85 George Washington Bridge (A) to Randall's Island

X86 Broadway-145th Street (1) to Randall's Island

Only the X80 survives, and the X81 was indeed out of LaGuardia. I saw it only once in my life, an RTS coming down the Triboro about 10 years ago.

Edited by GojiMet86

X80 Lex-125th to Randall's Island

X81 Woodside to Randall's Island

X82 Inwood-Dyckman Street to Randall's Island

X83 Yankee Stadium to Randall's Island

X84 Shea Stadium to Randall's Island

X85 George Washington Bridge (A) to Randall's Island

X86 Broadway-145th Street (1) to Randall's Island

Only the X80 survives, and the X81 was indeed out of LaGuardia. I saw it only once in my life, an RTS coming down the Triboro about 10 years ago.

So basically all the the X80s are Randall's Island lines?

Today was a funny day for me on the Bx3...

So today my little brother had practice for his baseball team. To get there I have to take the  :bus_bullet_bx3: to Bailey Place, When we get to the bus station, #4396 literally PASSED me right when I got to the station. Luckily #8376 was right behind it, so we took it there. Later, the SAME thing happened! #4348's driver saw me WAVE to him, and passed me & my brother. Then again an LFS came to the rescue. #8369 took me home after that.  LOL

So today my little brother had practice for his baseball team. To get there I have to take the :bus_bullet_bx3: to Bailey Place, When we get to the bus station, #4396 literally PASSED me right when I got to the station. Luckily #8376 was right behind it, so we took it there. Later, the SAME thing happened! #4348's driver saw me WAVE to him, and passed me & my brother. Then again an LFS came to the rescue. #8369 took me home after that. LOL

NGs: No Gangsters

LFS: Love F***ing Savages

Buses go to your stop depending on how hood you are lol.

In all serious, wow, that is some odd luck you had there. Only thing I wonder is how long the LFS took to pick you up.

Edited by ShadeJay

NGs: No Gangsters

LFS: Love F***ing Savages

Buses go to your stop depending on how hood you are lol.

In all serious, wow, that is some odd luck you had there. Only thing I wonder is how long the LFS took to pick you up.

It was right behind the NG's.

the other day i saw a long line of people waiting for the q24 and q56 bus on supthin blvd and jamaica ave. that q24 bus needs to have more buses during the rush. it was like more than 30 minutes people waiting for that bus.

More like it needs better dispatching. Those buses always seem to run in bunches. 

So today my little brother had practice for his baseball team. To get there I have to take the  :bus_bullet_bx3: to Bailey Place, When we get to the bus station, #4396 literally PASSED me right when I got to the station. Luckily #8376 was right behind it, so we took it there. Later, the SAME thing happened! #4348's driver saw me WAVE to him, and passed me & my brother. Then again an LFS came to the rescue. #8369 took me home after that.  LOL

It was right behind the NG's.

That's probably why the B/Os passed you: They saw another bus was directly behind them, and they saw no point in delaying their own passengers to pick you up.

That's how you know you on a ENY route they all bunch in pairs with long wait times in between. My favorite one is B15 known offender of this practice

Thats a general MTA problem. The B8, B7, and B47 are also known offenders for bunching from my experience (Gleason, Fresh Pond, and Grand Ave respectively). 

Edited by Jdog14

Thats a general MTA problem. The B8, B7, and B47 are also known offenders for bunching from my experience (Gleason, Fresh Pond, and Grand Ave respectively).

Definitely Grand Avenue. Not only the B47. But most of Grand Avenue routes are like this. Sometimes it bothers me to why have a 6th depot in the Brooklyn Division and they can't keep up with the scheduling. The other 5 depots do very well when it tackles the problem of bus bunching.

Couple months or so ago, I used to take the Q24 from Alabama (and walk to the B46 after getting off at the last stop) when I would really get fed up with the crowds (the waits) for the B12.... Great to see that portion of the Q24 getting more riders, b/c before it used to come real close (sometimes even actually) carrying air.....

But to answer your question:

1] The Q24 terminal (last stop WB is the first stop EB btw) on that end, is physically on Patchen st, at Lafayette av...

Heading back towards Jamaica, buses turn right onto Lafayette av, then right onto Broadway.....

2] As for the "Lafayette's"....... Street is in Manhattan & Avenue is in Brooklyn.

That would be one long ass bus route if the Q24 went to Lafayette st... Lmao :lol:

the other day i saw a long line of people waiting for the q24 and q56 bus on supthin blvd and jamaica ave. that q24 bus needs to have more buses during the rush. it was like more than 30 minutes people waiting for that bus.

Common during the PM rush.... Problem is, those buses are so delayed (for different reasons) heading towards Jamaica during the PM rush, that you get a large accumulation of folks at Sutphin for both of those routes.... It's usually more ppl. waiting for the Q24 than the Q56.

More like it needs better dispatching. Those buses always seem to run in bunches. 

For the Q24, I'd say it would make more of a difference IMO.... With the Q56, I'm not so sure it would....

(You can take that with a grain of salt, being that I'm of the ilk that believes buses running under el's will be slowed no matter what/by default)