BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the link

I will be filing several complains about the mess that is the B6.

Good luck on that one. The B6 has been so horrid on Sunday's for years and it won't get better.

My issue is that why don't they utilize the limited to go on Glenwood Road straight to Rockaway and the local down Flatlands while in Canarsie. Or just create another route just for the limited and leave the local as a B6. Same could go for the B41 with the Bergen Beach Branch, and leave B41 Kings Plaza branch.

I hope you folks do realize that bunching is normally the result of bad traffic/weather and not scheduling. The traffic may not be at your present location but somewhere on the line the traffic is backed up.

I hope you folks do realize that bunching is normally the result of bad traffic/weather and not scheduling. The traffic may not be at your present location but somewhere on the line the traffic is backed up.

That is correct. However, you have a few lines who practice bus bunching like its religion and that's the part is truly frustrating.

Yeah and it's also the result of some B/O's NOT adhering the schedule.  One guy leaves late, another one comes early and the mess continues.  Ulmer Park in particular has never had good service on any of its lines (save the express buses at times).  With BusTime now, you can see who does what, and some B/O's certainly admit to leaving their terminal late on purpose to avoid running hot, which means that in some cases, the schedule IS the problem.  The (MTA) needs to use BusTime more effectively along with dispatchers to adjust schedules and turn around buses accordingly.  It is inexcusable at this point for them to keep saying that there is nothing that they can do.  

Last Saturday I got an early BxM2 bus to the city.  The schedule stated that the trip should be done in less than an hour, and yet the trip took almost an hour and a half.  The guy came late, and never got back on schedule and put me 30 minutes behind from making my connection.  Simply inexcusable.  I filed a complaint.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Take a look at this: I'm approaching a stop where the Bx12 local and Select stop together. There are some 40 people waiting at the stop and I'm still a block away. The local comes first with about 5 or 10 people and only one person gets on (Im around the corner and I missed it). Select comes two minutes later with like 80 people on it and everyone packs in. I let that Select go since another one is a block away and the next one was still SRO (still got on though).

Those local 12's surely can't be a figment of my own imagination, can they?

Take a look at this: I'm approaching a stop where the Bx12 local and Select stop together. There are some 40 people waiting at the stop and I'm still a block away. The local comes first with about 5 or 10 people and only one person gets on (Im around the corner and I missed it). Select comes two minutes later with like 80 people on it and everyone packs in. I let that Select go since another one is a block away and the next one was still SRO (still got on though).

Those local 12's surely can't be a figment of my own imagination, can they?

The Bx12 seems to bunch a lot.  Sometimes you can see four Bx12's laid over on Broadway & 207th, and when I'm near Pelham Parkway, there always seems to be two Bx12's running back-to-back.

That is correct. However, you have a few lines who practice bus bunching like its religion and that's the part is truly frustrating.

I see it everyday w/ the B35 local/LTD..... doesn't matter the direction.

----------------

Come to think of it, I'm literally surrounded by 4 bus routes that fit the bill (B12, B35, B46, B8)...

- I'm not bothered by it w/ the B35, b/c buses can come in freakin 4's & 5's, and there'll be another 2 or 3, five mins apart.... and another 1 or 2, two-three mins. behind THOSE....

- I don't take the B8 much (I'm not on that side of the cemetary), but when I do, I get irritated when I miss a bunch of 2 B8's, b/c it'll mean you'll be waiting about 10-15 minutes for a bus.... And that'll be the bus that you highly likely won't be able to get on (if you board west of Utica)....

- With the B12 (as if I haven't made enough rants about this route as of late), I think the damn bunching is being done on purpose with this route.... As to why, I can't quite figure out... But I bet if I go on bustime right now....

KfaJCDv.gif

Look at this shit... Never fails... This is why I stopped taking the B12 coming home (I take the LIRR to atlantic for the brighton instead) Look at the area around Parkside, for one... and two, the area around Pitkin.... 3 buses each... And I guarantee y'all that bus that's showing as being at Alabama (top right of the pic) will go OOS & in to the depot.... And there'll be about 50-75 people waiting for the next bus....

Man, lemme get to the next (and last) route....

- With the B46, it depends where I take it from...

* If it's from WBP, it's somewhat frustrating when 2 buses leave back to back & I end up missing them, because you kinda feel like you're in no man's land, wondering when the hell the next bus is going to depart.... Sometimes I get fed up & take the B44 SBS (which seems to leave like clockwork whenever I'm at WBP) to church instead, because of this....

* If it's from Eastern pkwy, I (for one) expect it (the bunching), and not really bothered by it... the only real worry I have is actually getting on either/any of the buses w/o having to a] fight my way on the bus, b] fight my way to the back of the bus, c] fight someone, literally (or curse someone out, if it's one of these dried up, senile, teeth-kissing, attitudinal ass geriatic *itches)....

* If it's from anywhere south of Flatlands (heading back towards Church), I worry somewhat, because these'll be the buses coming from KP in droves of like 4 or 5 w/i 2 or 3 mins of each other.... Being fair, it's not 4 LTD's to every local anymore (which was a problem in the past)... Miss those bunches, and even for as heralded as the B46 is, you're going to have a bit of a wait on your hands.... You don't want to wait for a NB bus after having missed a bunched setting of buses at Av H! Turnover b/w the B6/B103 WB & the B46 NB is serious.......

Edited by B35 via Church

The Bx12 seems to bunch a lot.  Sometimes you can see four Bx12's laid over on Broadway & 207th, and when I'm near Pelham Parkway, there always seems to be two Bx12's running back-to-back.

At this point we have to call bunching a systemwide problem. To add another route here, I was on Fordham Road about to get on the Bx12 and walking towards Webster I see three NB Bx41 SBS buses pass within a one minute span. I was thinking to myself that traffic on Webster is never that backed up to where an 8 BPH service should have three buses bunched up. At this point I think there is some practice going on where bunching is encouraged.

At this point we have to call bunching a systemwide problem. To add another route here, I was on Fordham Road about to get on the Bx12 and walking towards Webster I see three NB Bx41 SBS buses pass within a one minute span. I was thinking to myself that traffic on Webster is never that backed up to where an 8 BPH service should have three buses bunched up. At this point I think there is some practice going on where bunching is encouraged.

I agree.  It is a systemwide problem caused in part by management, as well as (MTA) drivers.  There's one guy out of Yonkers Depot that purposely leaves his terminal at least 30 minutes late regularly, and I think it's done so that he can run empty.  I got him the other night on one of the lines I use.  He wasn't even at the correct pick-up stop, and had I not walked over to ask what bus he was, I would've been waiting another 30 minutes for the next one.  He either didn't know what time he was supposed to be leaving, or pretended he didn't know because I was the only one on that bus, and he dropped me off after turning off of the regular route and went off somewhere to BS some more, which he has done on a number of occasions when I've had him going towards Manhattan.  He's a nice guy, but very sneaky.  He also threw a huge stink when BusTime first came out.  You can guess why... 

BTW, why were the Orion VI's retired from the MTA? It looked short-lived. :/

Awful bus, a/c was horrible, heat was horrible and worst turning point ever. I remember on school trippers those horrible kids use to throw the seat cushions out the windows.

For the next set of fare hikes, they should honestly consider leaving single ride local bus fares alone, while hiking only the SBS single ride and subway fares. Local bus service sucks and the quality of service does not warrant a fare increase and there is too much demand and not enough supply for SBS and subway services. For this purpose, there would be a local bus fare, a rapid transit fare (SBS/Subway/SIR), and an express bus fare.

Example:
$2.75 local bus

$3.00 rapid transit

$6.75 express bus

There would probably need to be a few more tweaks to implement this successfully, but this is what I would more or less do.

For the next set of fare hikes, they should honestly consider leaving single ride local bus fares alone, while hiking only the SBS single ride and subway fares. Local bus service sucks and the quality of service does not warrant a fare increase and there is too much demand and not enough supply for SBS and subway services. For this purpose, there would be a local bus fare, a rapid transit fare (SBS/Subway/SIR), and an express bus fare.

Example:

$2.75 local bus

$3.00 rapid transit

$6.75 express bus

There would probably need to be a few more tweaks to implement this successfully, but this is what I would more or less do.

I'm sure the express bus fare will go up to $7.00, and quite frankly, unless you only ride a few days a week, a weekly pass makes the most sense.  Anytime that I've bought a pay-per-ride, I just sit there and say to myself, I just put money on this damn card a few days ago and there's practically nothing left on it already!  A trip to and from work for just two days is basically $26.00... What equals a good lunch for myself (delivery or pick-up or sit down in some places)... Service has been a tad better of late, but it is the summertime after all.  I'm just wondering how much more the (MTA) thinks it can raise the fare with such sh*tty service.  The only thing that is fairly reliable is Metro-North, but that's already almost four times the cost of a subway ride in most cases when paying for a peak ticket.  I definitely agree that the fares at this point are HIGHLY inflated for what you get.

Awful bus, a/c was horrible, heat was horrible and worst turning point ever. I remember on school trippers those horrible kids use to throw the seat cushions out the windows.

Not to mention the hybrid drive system was a bust.

...plus there was only 10 of them