BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still it's not the TA's fault for the every-day traffic that New York is known for.....

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Traffic is a common thing on Nostrand Ave all day long until atleast 9-10pm. The buses were probably delayed way before you got there. 

Not that traffic don't play apart in bus delays citywide which is not the MTA'S fault However it doesn't explain one bus run near empty while the other two half a seated load all arriving at the junction at the same time.

Not that traffic don't play apart in bus delays citywide which is not the MTA'S fault However it doesn't explain one bus run near empty while the other two half a seated load all arriving at the junction at the same time.

You have to realize the B44 hits several bottlenecks aswell as the high ridership. If the slow boarding of bus No.1 slows the bus down enough, bus No.2 will be able to gain a few minutes on its leader. Then when you factor in the traffic delays (several of them both North and South with Church Ave, Linden Blvd and Fulton St's being some bottlenecks) its a recipe for disaster. Then you also need to consider varried passenger loading aswell as bus travel speeds. Some drivers drive slow enough their followers catch up to them and even bypass them (seen it countless times). 

Edited by Jdog14

You have to realize the B44 hits several bottlenecks aswell as the high ridership. If the slow boarding of bus No.1 slows the bus down enough, bus No.2 will be able to gain a few minutes on its leader. Then when you factor in the traffic delays (several of them both North and South with Church Ave, Linden Blvd and Fulton St's being some bottlenecks) its a recipe for disaster. Then you also need to consider varried passenger loading aswell as bus travel speeds. Some drivers drive slow enough their followers catch up to them and even bypass them (seen it countless times). 

I have traveled north of the junction many times I think i have pretty good understand of what causes delays up north however, south of the Junction(Flatbush & Nostrand) the traffic might seem heavy but it's not and passenger load is not has heavy especially when the SBS is running on time for three Local bus to show up at the junction at the same time.

I was not blaming the MTA for traffic conditions I'm only point out lack of reliable on the b44 lcl and the MTA's inability to assess the problems with the route.whether it be the drivers or the road condition, bus bunching on this level should not be a normal feature of a route that carries people daily what's the point of the schedule if this mess is going to occur everyday short turn  some bus at the junction if "traffic is so terrible up north" that it causes bus bunching south of the junction. 

I have traveled north of the junction many times I think i have pretty good understand of what causes delays up north however, south of the Junction(Flatbush & Nostrand) the traffic might seem heavy but it's not and passenger load is not has heavy especially when the SBS is running on time for three Local bus to show up at the junction at the same time.

I was not blaming the MTA for traffic conditions I'm only point out lack of reliable on the b44 lcl and the MTA's inability to assess the problems with the route.whether it be the drivers or the road condition, bus bunching on this level should not be a normal feature of a route that carries people daily what's the point of the schedule if this mess is going to occur everyday short turn some bus at the junction if "traffic is so terrible up north" that it causes bus bunching south of the junction.

I'm going to be honest with you. The B44 Local will suffer tons of bottleneck delays. Whether you are on the Junction southbound or heading north. You have to account the delays due to construction along Nostrand. I can point you to some projects going on in Crown Heights alone that are clogging up Nostrand.

Also, you have to account the rush hour bottleneck as cars are going thru the bus lane. I've seen it with my two eyes and that's not great b/c the bus lanes on Nostrand are not heavily enforced from Crown Heights to Junction.

I'm going to be honest with you. The B44 Local will suffer tons of bottleneck delays. Whether you are on the Junction southbound or heading north. You have to account the delays due to construction along Nostrand. I can point you to some projects going on in Crown Heights alone that are clogging up Nostrand.

Also, you have to account the rush hour bottleneck as cars are going thru the bus lane. I've seen it with my two eyes and that's not great b/c the bus lanes on Nostrand are not heavily enforced from Crown Heights to Junction.

So let me get this straight all B44 Lcl riders should be fully aware of construction along Nostrand Ave that may or may not delay service, OK so how come the B44 SBS is not affected by these neighborhood projects like the B44Lcl. <_<

At the time of my original post  it would be a midday trip not a Rush Hour trip so bus bunching wouldn't be so shocking at that point because all routes tend to bunch during rush hours. 

Ultimately i'm sorry for the daily riders on the B44 Lcl because its bad enough you have the MTA decreasing service on the line  claiming people ain't riding the buses and now I have transit fans tell me its the traffic and construction fault service is so bad and you got to just get use to it, ain't that some sh*t... I will be drinking my tea or cool ice coffee the next time i pass through the areas i guess i should've taken that SBS and walked my ass to new york ave instead who knows...lol B-)

6476 and 6429 have broke down on Main St and Union Tpk causing a 10 minute delay on Q46 bus heading towards LIJ Hopsital/ Glen Oaks. Wonder why the MTA didn't put it up on the delays page....

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Thats not that much of a delay to say that service is delayed. 10 minutes is still frequent, despite that the buses broke down. The MTA doesnt even post the 20+ minute delays because of rush hour traffic in Manhattan for all the local and express bus routes in which it is applicable to, so 10 minutes is nothing. If a bus on 30 minute headways broke down though, then they might post that.

Either an Ulmer Park or Staten Island express bus caught fire on the BQE/Gowanus Expwy earlier on Friday.

Check out the video below on the bus fire.

http://abc7ny.com/news/mta-bus-consumed-by-fire-on-gowanus-expressway/1400986/

Oh shit that Prevost got roasted! I wonder what happened...thank god the drivers good.

Either an Ulmer Park or Staten Island express bus caught fire on the BQE/Gowanus Expwy earlier on Friday.

Check out the video below on the bus fire.

http://abc7ny.com/news/mta-bus-consumed-by-fire-on-gowanus-expressway/1400986/

Bus number was 2755...probably a goner.

That bus is so new though, hopefully there isn't a recall because of this.