BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

So that there would be subpar service, and a bunch of inefficient routes serving decreasing demand still running (both local and express)? Yeah, no thanks! The only thing appealing about them were their color schemes in contrast to NYCT buses. Most of these companies though offered such unreliable service.

plus would you rather have a bus with replacement panels and doors with different colors and breaking down buses left and right?

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wondering because I haven't really rode the Q36 LTD, but why was it a mistake?

Yeah I'm just as confused. 

The current set up with the Q1 being local and the Q36/43 being Limited allow a better flow into Jamaica with the Q36 and Q43 targeting people who have to travel far while the Q1 appeals to those traveling a short distance from the subway. 

The LTD portion of the Q36 is only on Hillside Av. It makes all stops everywhere else, including on Jamaica Av.

Not sure how that's a fail. It runs limited where there's alternatives, so that riders further out who have fewer alternatives can get home quicker.

Not sure how keeping it local would've been any better.

Not sure how that's a fail. It runs limited where there's alternatives, so that riders further out who have fewer alternatives can get home quicker.

Not sure how keeping it local would've been any better.

It's not that much quicker by any means really, especially since once you get to the 179th Street Subway Station, you'll be sitting there for a while anyway, which somewhat defeats the purpose of Limited service on hillside. It's one of the shortest limited segments along that corridor, with just a handful of Limited stops. I understand their approach to the idea, but it wasn't implemented properly in my opinion. 

Edited by Cait Sith

It's not that much quicker by any means really, especially since once you get to the 179th Street Subway Station, you'll be sitting there for a while anyway, which somewhat defeats the purpose of Limited service on hillside. It's one of the shortest limited segments along that corridor, with just a handful of Limited stops. I understand their approach to the idea, but it wasn't implemented properly in my opinion. 

Still better than making every stop, what you're saying though, is that it needs to make less stops like a Q36X which I wouldn't mind TBH. Queens is the type of borough where Limited zones could work. 

Still better than making every stop, what you're saying though, is that it needs to make less stops like a Q36X which I wouldn't mind TBH. Queens is the type of borough where Limited zones could work.

That's not what I'm saying.

They could've at the very least expand the LTD stops to Springfield Blvd or Commonwealth Blvd, especially the trips that go into Little Neck Parkway.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

They could've at the very least expand the LTD stops to Springfield Blvd or Commonwealth Blvd, especially the trips that go into Little Neck Parkway.

Interesting...in my plan I have it going local on 212 then make additional stops at 212 and Jamaica then Springfield. Similar to the M4 on 110. I also have possible short turns to Springfield

I don't know if anyone brought this up but several of Ulmer Park's 71xx-series XD40s have speaker grilles on the side of the body opposite from the curb. I best remember 7146 and 7150 on the B6 LTD having them during my commute to college in the past few weeks.

Any word of them being activated for pedestrian turn warning announcements and whether they're being tested or rolled out?

Edited by Neko Boy With Glasse

Had a funny encounter tonight. Some annoying kid was playing with the stop request button before his stop (woke me up b/c the bus driver had to tell him to stop) and the guy blew fast his stop as fast as he could. The kid got mad at him, but in my opinion, he deserved it.

Karma- what comes around goes around

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Had a funny encounter tonight. Some annoying kid was playing with the stop request button before his stop (woke me up b/c the bus driver had to tell him to stop) and the guy blew fast his stop as fast as he could. The kid got mad at him, but in my opinion, he deserved it. 

If I was the driver, I would have kick him off the bus.

Asking for a friend...what's the best bus tracking app for iPhone? I use bus tracker+ because I like to see the location of each bus in real time, but I'm an android user. He couldn't find in in the app store. Thanks in advance

Edited by Blitz

There are some great billboards on Manhattan Division buses.

I wonder why not so great ones in Brooklyn. (Brooklyn Division boring).

Almost every bus I saw today in Manhattan has either a 30x215 with an L shape long. 30x240 stretch towards the lower part-battery, and 30x240 long without the battery covering.

The B9 is one of those lines where you wait over 30 minutes just to see 3 busses in a row. :l It's an open road unlike Manhattan.

I wonder what would happen if the B9 had a limited service B9...

Edited by Tonyboy515

The issue I see with that, is that where it's currently limited there is a local alternative, since all rush buses are limited it makes sense that as soon as it branches off, it becomes local. if the Q1 mirrored the Q36 all the way to springfield I'm pretty sure that the Q36 woudl run LTD to Springfield. 

The B9 is one of those lines where you wait over 30 minutes just to see 3 busses in a row. :l It's an open road unlike Manhattan.

I wonder what would happen if the B9 had a limited service B9...

I feel like it the traffic around the (Q) has some part in why it runs behind.

I feel like it the traffic around the (Q) has some part in why it runs behind.

Ehh... The (Q) doesn't really affect service. The bus stops, and lets passengers on and off the same time it takes at other stops regardless of if there is a (Q) coming... however, the area between Ocean Avenue and Coney Island avenue on Avenue M has traffic at times.

Borough Park is what kills the B9.

That is very true. There are a lot of people that may not be mindful of what they are doing, like crossing the road on red.

One other thing that causes this problem is because when there is a 30 minute interval between busses, and then there are busses that are 10 minutes behind that bus, and can easily catch up due to the accumulating amount of riders waiting at each stop, and then all three stay clustered because one bus gets one stop, the other gets another, and etcetera. The thing is, I don't understand why the second bus is leaving the terminal 30 minutes after the first one.

Edited by Tonyboy515

Ehh... The (Q) doesn't really affect service. The bus stops, and lets passengers on and off the same time it takes at other stops regardless of if there is a (Q) coming... however, the area between Ocean Avenue and Coney Island avenue on Avenue M has traffic at times.

That is very true. There are a lot of people that may not be mindful of what they are doing, like crossing the road on red.

One other thing that causes this problem is because when there is a 30 minute interval between busses, and then there are busses that are 10 minutes behind that bus, and can easily catch up due to the accumulating amount of riders waiting at each stop, and then all three stay clustered because one bus gets one stop, the other gets another, and etcetera. The thing is, I don't understand why the second bus is leaving the terminal 30 minutes after the first one.

That's what he's saying: The general area around the (Q) station causes the problem. Not the train itself, but all the traffic from the stores, etc.

For the buses leaving the terminal 30 minutes late, if there was a heavy delay in one direction it can often affect service in the other direction. Of course, there's some other factors that could be at play (bus drivers are humans too. If they see another bus or two pulling in behind them, they might just say screw it and take their layover together).