BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

This.

The bus crawls along 60th, and worse, it makes almost every stop along the stretch....

If you have time to kill, joyride the B9 :lol:

I took the B9 earlier on in the month, and it was relatively light in Sunset Park (our bus was also late, and there wasn't another bus to Kings Plaza for a while after). Although, it was the same day of the Marathon, so there was probably less ridership than anticipated (the B9 ran from 5 Avenue to Kings Plaza, and from Shore Road to 3 Avenue). I don't doubt that it is horrendous during the week, though.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

plus would you rather have a bus with replacement panels and doors with different colors and breaking down buses left and right?

Those CNG's with Queens Surface, Triboro and Command had a nice moan to them. They were fun to ride.  The old GMC's of Green Lines and Triboro had the great roar from the engine.  Also lets not forget the great MCI Classics, those babies were speeding bullets.  Those private lines were fun to ride, and they sounded like real buses unlike these fancy low floor hybrid neon orange signs that sound like powerless paper shredders

Also worse is that the bus doesn't even warrant limited service. That's one bus in the JG route scheme that has issues.

Even worse than that, you can't really do anything to the route that wouldn't have its usage drastically affected on either end....

I took the B9 earlier on in the month, and it was relatively light in Sunset Park (our bus was also late, and there wasn't another bus to Kings Plaza for a while after). Although, it was the same day of the Marathon, so there was probably less ridership than anticipated (the B9 ran from 5 Avenue to Kings Plaza, and from Shore Road to 3 Avenue). I don't doubt that it is horrendous during the week, though.

This is all that has to be considered.....

Why does brooklyn have so few artics (one artic route) compared to every other borough except for staten island?

It depends on a route's needs aswell as operating conditions. Brooklyn has the most subway stations outside of Manhattan, so more people will be on the trains rather than the buses. The heaviest usage of buses tend to be (from my observation) areas without subways. Just cause the route serves 10k/day doesn't mean it warrants artics. During the midday those buses may not be so full but during the rush hours they become packed to the rafters, requiring 2-3 buses to ease crowds. (B46 SBS comes to mind). 

They eliminated the two busiest stops: 5th Avenue and Lexington Avenue and I feel SBS service could be better served on longer routes rather than crosstowns with the exception of the 34/A and 14A/D (if it ever gets it).

Imagine that... People have to walk over to Broadway or Park Avenue South to get on... <_< The M23 suffers from boarding times that are beyond ridiculous, and far too many stops.  I ALWAYS walk along 23rd because I can usually out walk the bus, given how slow it is. Eliminating stops, and improving boarding times was sorely needed on that line.  Now if they could enforce the bus lanes, perhaps that line would be useful for other people besides the elderly, those too lazy to walk, and those who have no other options but the M23.  

Paulrivera and I have mentioned numerous times that SBS Bx12 buses are more often than not packed while locals are far from packed. Well today I was out there on Fordham and both locals and SBS buses were packed from around 5:30 to 6:30 pm. My thought was where did all these people taking the local come from all of a sudden. 

Also, I rode 1217 on the Eastbound Bx12 local today and the driver had the nerve to use the service road of Pelham Parkway rather than the main road when traffic was flowing on the main road. I should really report the dude for this but since I'm rather uninformed of the protocol in which to do this I'll let it slide.

EDIT: I'm really going to have to get on the MTA's case with the Bx12 SBS because for a low headway route buses go MIA way too frequently. If I had a dime for every time I've seen a 15+ minute gap during periods where headways are 6 minutes or lower on this route I would be a wealthy man. 

Edited by JubaionBx12+SBS

Paulrivera and I have mentioned numerous times that SBS Bx12 buses are more often than not packed while locals are far from packed. Well today I was out there on Fordham and both locals and SBS buses were packed from around 5:30 to 6:30 pm. My thought was where did all these people taking the local come from all of a sudden. 

Well one good thing about SBS is that it's great for overcrowded, buses practically turn into subway cars and people can pack in every door when necessary. Routes Like the Q44 pretty much got a buff in service, and they are still topped of leaving and entering Flushing. The difference between now and before is that now all the space is actually used. 

Well one good thing about SBS is that it's great for overcrowded, buses practically turn into subway cars and people can pack in every door when necessary. Routes Like the Q44 pretty much got a buff in service, and they are still topped of leaving and entering Flushing. The difference between now and before is that now all the space is actually used. 

When did that happen? Q44 has the same headways since when artics took over full time.