BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Two things in Staten Island: 

One thought on how the S79 Select Bus Service  doesn't have the updated signs like all the other SBS routes and also boarding the S89 to N.J, there was only 5 passengers throughout the whole ride. 

Edited by CH3348

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two things in Staten Island: 

One thought on how the S79 Select Bus Service doesn't have the updated signs like all the other SBS routes and also boarding the S89 to N.J, there was only 5 passengers throughout the whole ride. 

I've literally never been to Staten Island in my life but AFAIK most of the buses on the S79 don't have multicolored signs.

As for the S89, I'm surprised it even ran today. I guess it was just Metro-North that ran on a weekend schedule today...

I've literally never been to Staten Island in my life but AFAIK most of the buses on the S79 don't have multicolored signs.

As for the S89, I'm surprised it even ran today. I guess it was just Metro-North that ran on a weekend schedule today...

They got multicolored signs, just not updated.

Either that, or they're trying to prevent another controversy with the flashing blue signs. Those islanders are the reason the blue beacons are gone.

Edited by Cait Sith

Either that, or they're trying to prevent another controversy with the flashing blue signs. Those islanders are the reason the blue beacons are gone.

Ive been told the islanders didnt want flashing blue signs either. 

Basically a waste of money lol

I've got to check again, but I thought the S79 did have some sort of coloring on the sign itself that distinguishes it from the regular local/limited buses.

Ive been told the islanders didnt want flashing blue signs either. 

Basically a waste of money lol

I'm an "islander" and while I don't like the flashing blue signs (too strong, and I'd be worried about people who are prone to seizures), I do like the signs with the blue background that they're using now.

Orion VII NG's actually does have flashing blue signs I thought they didn't have. Do most other bus models have those signs also?

The NGs that the 79 uses (except for 4019) has the newer Luminator Spectrum multicolored sign...the same sign in (except the LGA batch) the 7000s XD40s

I've got to check again, but I thought the S79 did have some sort of coloring on the sign itself that distinguishes it from the regular local/limited buses.

I'm an "islander" and while I don't like the flashing blue signs (too strong, and I'd be worried about people who are prone to seizures), I do like the signs with the blue background that they're using now.

Nope, just how the sign color looks. See above.

Well to be fair, they were right with the flashing blue lights. It was one of those things no one really cared about, so they got away with it.

Blue flashing lights are reserved for emergency vehicles.

I'm on the Q67 and there are 22 people onboard. I have never seen this many people on the bus at this time to LIC before (11 got on at 48 Street & 55 Avenue). This must happen during the holiday season (and it seems like they came from the UPS facility).

Which bus broke down now.....

The farebeating in Staten Island is getting ridiculous. And Staten Island is neglected all the time nothing gets done. Its literally became a free shuttle on 60% of the routes. I know people who are bus drivers and literally at every stop F5 is pressed 2-3 times. At most you would get to press it 7 times. Its getting bad to the point where paying customers don't wanna pay anymore because theres no point of paying if someone can ride for free and not get in trouble. The routes that see this problem the most are the S40, S46, S40, S46, S52, S46, S76, S46, S46, S40 and S46, oh and S46. Obviously there are more routes on the island that have these problems, but it wouldn't be any different from farebeating across the city. The routes I mentioned are getting out of control, and what ever happened to going through the back door? They walk on the bus right through the front door as if the farebox is broken. Sad sad sad.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

The farebeating in Staten Island is getting ridiculous. And Staten Island is neglected all the time nothing gets done. Its literally became a free shuttle on 60% of the routes. I know people who are bus drivers and literally at every stop F5 is pressed 2-3 times. At most you would get to press it 7 times. Its getting bad to the point where paying customers don't wanna pay anymore because theres no point of paying if someone can ride for free and not get in trouble. The routes that see this problem the most are the S40, S46, S40, S46, S52, S46, S76, S46, S46, S40 and S46, oh and S46. Obviously there are more routes on the island that have these problems, but it wouldn't be any different from farebeating across the city. The routes I mentioned are getting out of control, and what ever happened to going through the back door? They walk on the bus right through the front door as if the farebox is broken. Sad sad sad.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Some things never change... lol... What's funny is that the fare beating problem may be worse on Staten Island than it is in most of the Bronx. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8