BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Quite a lot of people use it. Also, i suggest that since half the route is split into fordham and bedford pk. Maybe only bedford pk buses should run limited service. The line suffers, mostly the bedford buses because they pick up so many ppl and the fordham buses literally pick up the valentine avenue ppl and speed off leaving the bedford buses in the dust.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sounds a little stalker-ish

I've studied Rick's excellent depot roster page many, many times.

You make special trips to those depots? Mighty expensive for someone complaining about the fare. lol

I said I could afford it. Read above.

^^^ Lol @ this guy, he will always find the chance to get you no matter what.

Used to it as it's par for the course. Here's someone complaining about the BxM1 going through my neighborhood despite him taking the other one. His comment wasn't the one that caught my attention, anyway. All in good fun, though.

Do u guys think the Bx22 should have limited service during weekday rush hrs and only local service on the ones short turning at fordham?

No. You can't have part-time Limited service on a full-time route.

Edited by lupojohn

It's kinda dicey for you to talk about money considering you have more of it than probably anyone on here and $2.75 doesn't affect you. In any case, some people have been living here their whole lives and the cost of living has gone up to a ridiculous rate, but that's a topic for another day on another website.

You're only feeding his ego....and I'm sure there's people on here with more money who don't like to brag like he does... (not saying me, but I'm just saying that usually the people who brag aren't the big-shots they make themselves out to be. Take a guess who has more money: Bloomberg or Trump. Hint: It's not the one who just ran a whole campaign talking about how rich he is)

The fare is what it is.  Everything costs in the city.  I mean people have to eat, etc., so they have to pay.  They can't go to the market crying about the price of groceries.  Same thing with the fare.  It's funny that people like yourself have such complaints about the fares but likely do nothing about speaking out against them.  $31.00 a week spread across 7 days at 2 rides a day is.... $2.21 per ride assuming you only ride twice a day, with the price decreasing with each ride you take.  At $116.00 a month you pay about $1.16 a ride, assuming you only ride twice a day.  How much cheaper do you want it to be?? 

Not sure how you come up with $1.16 per ride. $116.50 divided by 30 days at 2 rides per day is about $1.94 per ride. And if you only work weekdays (and before you start, let's say you work 10-12 hour days for the 5 days you do work), then it still pays to use Pay-Per-Ride MetroCards. 

Yes you can...

See: Q43

The limiteds originally started as rush hour-only variants. So there's plenty of examples of full-time routes having part-time limited variants. (Off the top of my head, that might still be the majority of routes actually, and if you use the strict definition of full-time, which is 7-day service from 7AM to 10PM that's almost all of them)

I wonder how many people would be pushing for LTD service on more routes if stop spacing was every 3-4 blocks instead of 2 blocks.

Current limited-stop buses stop like what, every 8-10 blocks? So you're still skipping around 2 local stops in between each limited stop. I'd say it's no different from the express/local train setup. Maybe on a route like the B35 or Bx36 where the limited stops are fairly close together, it wouldn't be worth it, but even then, in general limited-stop service is usually only offered on routes that are frequent enough that the local riders wouldn't be waiting too long anyway.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

The Bx7 and Bx22 don't qualify for LTD/Local split service presently. The combined headways have to be 5 minutes or better.

The current Bx6 does qualify for LTD/Local split service during both rush hours, however it will get an SBS/Local combo instead by next summer because of its high ridership.

The old Bx12 Limited started in the mid-90's as a rush hour only service.

Current limited-stop buses stop like what, every 8-10 blocks? So you're still skipping around 2 local stops in between each limited stop. I'd say it's no different from the express/local train setup. Maybe on a route like the B35 or Bx36 where the limited stops are fairly close together, it wouldn't be worth it, but even then, in general limited-stop service is usually only offered on routes that are frequent enough that the local riders wouldn't be waiting too long anyway.

I still stand by the thought that if stops were spaced 3-4 blocks apart, most of these routes would see a 33-50% reduction in stops made, thus runtimes would drop significantly. I doubt too many people will be clamoring for LTD service then since the routes that most warrant such already have it. If you shorten the run of a Bx7 or Bx22 for example, the riders will be more than satisfied.

There are so many high school riders on the Bx22 that goes to bedford, clinton, bx science and lehman college. The traffic around fordham is just sooooo bad, the bus lanes dont even work. Also, gun hill prob doesnt even have enough buses to operate limited stop service, maybe with 40fters, they always have those laying around

You're only feeding his ego....and I'm sure there's people on here with more money who don't like to brag like he does... (not saying me, but I'm just saying that usually the people who brag aren't the big-shots they make themselves out to be. Take a guess who has more money: Bloomberg or Trump. Hint: It's not the one who just ran a whole campaign talking about how rich he is)

Not sure how you come up with $1.16 per ride. $116.50 divided by 30 days at 2 rides per day is about $1.94 per ride. And if you only work weekdays (and before you start, let's say you work 10-12 hour days for the 5 days you do work), then it still pays to use Pay-Per-Ride MetroCards. 

I'm bragging because I pay my fare? Now that's funny.  My point was that we all have needs and wants and I prioritize those accordingly.  Since we're talking about people with so much money because they actually pay their fare (lol), I'm sure most of the fare beaters are wearing more expensive clothing than a lot of folks who do pay their fare, yet they cry poverty.  Please.  Whatever the per day cost is for that monthly card, it's still under $2.00.  I can't think of anything I purchase during the cost of the day that is that cheap.  Even my espresso is more expensive than that at $3 - 4 depending on the location.  I think that's a damn good deal.  

I'd also like to address your Trump comment.  I'm sorry if the man irks you because he's rich and brags (he should because he's an example of the American dream), but I don't know of too many poor people living on 5th Avenue in their own building, not to mention his numerous properties elsewhere.  Who cares about Bloomberg?  Old fart... 

I said I could afford it. Read above.

Used to it as it's par for the course. Here's someone complaining about the BxM1 going through my neighborhood despite him taking the other one. His comment wasn't the one that caught my attention, anyway. All in good fun, though.

Hmm... That's not what I read before.  Seems like you're not sure what you're saying, but anyway I'm happy you're paying your fare. As for the BxM1 going via Inwood, it's been a hassle, and yes I would love to have them stop running via Inwood as much as possible.  The trips take far too long with all of these people getting on who don't know which Metrocard they need.  Here they are with a regular unlimited card arguing with the driver about they can use that for the express bus. Just last week we had a guy get on at 96th street twice feigning ignorance about where he was going and how to pay.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I'm bragging because I pay my fare? Now that's funny.  My point was that we all have needs and wants and I prioritize those accordingly.  Since we're talking about people with so much money because they actually pay their fare (lol), I'm sure most of the fare beaters are wearing more expensive clothing than a lot of folks who do pay their fare, yet they cry poverty.  Please.  Whatever the per day cost is for that monthly card, it's still under $2.00.  I can't think of anything I purchase during the cost of the day that is that cheap.  Even my espresso is more expensive than that at $3 - 4 depending on the location.  I think that's a damn good deal.  

I'd also like to address your Trump comment.  I'm sorry if the man irks you because he's rich and brags (he should because he's an example of the American dream), but I don't know of too many poor people living on 5th Avenue in their own building, not to mention his numerous properties elsewhere.  Who cares about Bloomberg?  Old fart...... 

Hmm... That's not what I read before.  Seems like you're not sure what you're saying, but anyway I'm happy you're paying your fare. As for the BxM1 going via Inwood, it's been a hassle, and yes I would love to have them stop running via Inwood as much as possible.  The trips take far too long with all of these people getting on who don't know which Metrocard they need.  Here they are with a regular unlimited card arguing with the driver about they can use that for the express bus. Just last week we had a guy get on at 96th street twice feigning ignorance about where he was going and how to pay.

Since you asked a question with the word, i'll answer it: No, you're bragging about stuff when you mention espressos, Whole Foods anything else that is strictly for the 1%. Your complaining about buses going through Inwood is coming off as whining because you're delayed a few extra minutes that make no difference in your commute. OK, people should realize which card to use, but that's the job of the driver to explain it. The example you cited was extreme. Without getting too political, Trump is rich due to his businesses, not the American dream. Let's just put it out there: his father gave him a $1 million dollar loan. We should all be so lucky. Finally, you say "I don't purchase anything during the cost of the day that is cheap". That's correct because you have close to seven figures, which is fine as you earned that money. However, most people are not in that category and yes $2.75 is a hassle to them. The (MTA) wants to raise the fare crying they have no money when we have piss-poor service, broken-down and dirty stations, overcrowded trains and buses and people within the agency pocketing money (and yes, I stand by that claim 100% as I did the first time I said it), but hey it's all good, right?

Seriously, let's end the discussion on this. Let's stop quoting each other on the matter. We're all from different financial backgrounds, different viewpoints and arguing on the matter only clogs up the thread unnecessarily.

I am baffled as to why the Pelham Parkway/Stillwell Av stop was added to the Bx12 SBS. For all this time as a local only stop ridership there didn't stand out really and it's in the least dense section of the route. The homes lining Pelham Parkway North over there are rather large for urban area and the families have high incomes as well. Not only that, there was no real news around the neighborhood of such an addition coming down the pipe. What on earth happened to lead the MTA to make this change given the lack of demand currently for such?

How does that work? Was the lift broken?

The ramps on modern low floor buses come with the ability of them to be manually deployed (there's a strap on the floor, or there used to be one lol) if for whenever it can't be done automatically. Just lift it and push it over.