BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does that work? Was the lift broken?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

The ramps on modern low floor buses come with the ability of them to be manually deployed (there's a strap on the floor, or there used to be one lol) if for whenever it can't be done automatically. Just lift it and push it over.

I am baffled as to why the Pelham Parkway/Stillwell Av stop was added to the Bx12 SBS. For all this time as a local only stop ridership there didn't stand out really and it's in the least dense section of the route. The homes lining Pelham Parkway North over there are rather large for urban area and the families have high incomes as well. Not only that, there was no real news around the neighborhood of such an addition coming down the pipe. What on earth happened to lead the MTA to make this change given the lack of demand currently for such?

Maybe something related to the Hutchinson Metro Center. Is there a pedestrian connection to Pelham Parkway from there?

The ramps on modern low floor buses come with the ability of them to be manually deployed (there's a strap on the floor, or there used to be one lol) if for whenever it can't be done automatically. Just lift it and push it over.

Right, and sometimes it's almost faster if you just hook it and give it a good push (operator's gotta get up out of the seat anyways to raise the seats and get the Q-Straints ready).

Just the right amount of debris getting stuck can make the ramp not deploy.

Edited by DetSMART45

However, the LTD would be somewhat faster than the local. In a certain amount of time, you could possibly save a bus or so running all the buses limited.

Yet I still wonder why M7 LTD service was still not restored even when the MTA had a budget surplus a couple of years ago. Perhaps some people who previously used M7 local service would rather use parallel (1), (2), and (3) train service instead of waiting for a bus... Edited by Q44SBS

The M7 used to have LTD service from 1992 until 1993, and since then it has been a local-only route. Why did the MTA eliminate it so soon?

Yet I still wonder why M7 LTD service was still not restored even when the MTA had a budget surplus a couple of years ago. Perhaps some people who previously used M7 local service would rather use parallel (1), (2), and (3) train service instead of waiting for a bus...

For w/e the reasons, the M7 LTD was one of the rare instances with LTD service that never really caught on... Especially up along the UWS (the ones with voices/clout.. go figure).... I could never understand why so many (riders) on the UWS were bypassing LTD's for locals.... I'd have to say that folks utilizing it south of 59th benefited from (or should I say, utilized) it the most... The LTD in Harlem was rather immaterial, as most of those riders don't ride south of 110th (I should really say 116th) anyway.....

The problem I have with the M7 is that it was cut back from Union Sq.... That, along with the whole (what I call) "Europeanizing" of Broadway did that route in....

The days where M6/M7 were more sought after along 6th av; the infamous M5 was actually secondary....

Now the M5 has been forced down riders' throats & the M7 is more or less an afterthought south of 59th.... Worse than that, it's (the M5) actually set to be split....

Never fails with this agency.....

Makes me wonder will this M55 be shoved down 5/6 Av riders throats. Or will everyone just jump to the M7?

To be honest, I think a lot of the problems with the M5, and M7 stem from changing demographics and the appalling traffic along 6th.  The M5 and to some extent the M7 are both used more by tourists than anyone else.  I'm tutoring a kid on the Upper West Side and the family is from BC.  They all use the subway or walk.  The bus is an afterthought unless there are no options, then the M86 may be used.  There are so many transplants moving here and they all gravitate to the subway or they take taxis.  I think they somehow believe that it makes them fit in.  The Upper East Side along Madison & 5th hasn't changed, so there you still have monied folks that will use the local bus over the subway.  It wasn't that long ago that you have more New Yorkers using the M5 and M7.  They still exist but less so.  It's something the (MTA) will need to look at because outside of the lines where people have no choice, they will flock to the subway.  

Makes me wonder will this M55 be shoved down 5/6 Av riders throats. Or will everyone just jump to the M7?

That's a good question & something worth pondering IMO....

I really think this M55 is going to be a fail;..... So basically, by default, folks will simply take the M7.

It's the M20/M7 dynamic along 7th av all over again!

To be honest, I think a lot of the problems with the M5, and M7 stem from changing demographics and the appalling traffic along 6th.  The M5 and to some extent the M7 are both used more by tourists than anyone else.  I'm tutoring a kid on the Upper West Side and the family is from BC.  They all use the subway or walk.  The bus is an afterthought unless there are no options, then the M86 may be used.  There are so many transplants moving here and they all gravitate to the subway or they take taxis.  I think they somehow believe that it makes them fit in.  The Upper East Side along Madison & 5th hasn't changed, so there you still have monied folks that will use the local bus over the subway.  It wasn't that long ago that you have more New Yorkers using the M5 and M7.  They still exist but less so.  It's something the (MTA) will need to look at because outside of the lines where people have no choice, they will flock to the subway.  

Valid points.... I mean, the old M6 was a tourist (and shopper) laced route from 34th due southward anyway, but the M5 is definitely riddled with tourists these days (esp. south of Houston)..... South of CC (Columbus Circle), I find that the M7 is simply a route that people take because "it's there", not that folks specifically need the M7.... I have to say that this is because folks in Harlem & the UWS aren't taking M7's that deep (that southerly) into Manhattan.... This was exactly the rationale that did the M10 in (and look where that route ends)....

To add to your post (I guess), I'm inclined to believe that (unless it's not an SBS bus) they want people in Manhattan using the subway for short distances; which I personally find to be disgusting.... It's the bastardization of local (and to an extent, express) buses is what's going on here....

The MTA is attempting to fit 10....100 lbs of shit into a 5 lb. bag when it comes to the subways.... For the excess that simply won't fit, oh, here's SBS for ya..... I truly feel sorry for this younger generation getting around & about in this city; as they're going to be the ones that's going to endure/put up with this crap in their prime years of life - as even less of them in this city will be able to afford as many cars as you currently see on the road here in 2016.... Taking taxi's is a short term solution & isn't (or, shouldn't) be a part of anyone's 5-day-a-week commute.... Give me the person that has a work history of over 10 years that's taken cabs almost everyday of that time period that wasn't/isn't being significantly hit in the pocket... T'hell with the blue collar worker, that shit isn't sustainable long term for your average white collar worker either... When you hear uppity ass Manhattanites bitch about (yellow) cab fares (not being funny, but these complaints are coming from women - the main ones patronizing yellow cabs to begin with), it says enough - At the same time, I'm not exactly crying rivers for them either, because these are the same ones that frown & look down upon those that utilize public transportation....

I don't want to know what the bus network would look like 40-50 years from now.... Sadly, I don't see much of the younger folks caring about bus service (like those of us in this generation & in BrooklynBus/Trainmaster5's generation)..... While all that dam biking & walking is good for your health while you're virile, that shit will catch up to you as you age...

I'm living proof of it.

That's a good question & something worth pondering IMO....

I really think this M55 is going to be a fail;..... So basically, by default, folks will simply take the M7.

It's the M20/M7 dynamic along 7th av all over again!

Valid points.... I mean, the old M6 was a tourist (and shopper) laced route from 34th due southward anyway, but the M5 is definitely riddled with tourists these days (esp. south of Houston)..... South of CC (Columbus Circle), I find that the M7 is simply a route that people take because "it's there", not that folks specifically need the M7.... I have to say that this is because folks in Harlem & the UWS aren't taking M7's that deep (that southerly) into Manhattan.... This was exactly the rationale that did the M10 in (and look where that route ends)....

To add to your post (I guess), I'm inclined to believe that (unless it's not an SBS bus) they want people in Manhattan using the subway for short distances; which I personally find to be disgusting.... It's the bastardization of local (and to an extent, express) buses is what's going on here....

The MTA is attempting to fit 10....100 lbs of shit into a 5 lb. bag when it comes to the subways.... For the excess that simply won't fit, oh, here's SBS for ya..... I truly feel sorry for this younger generation getting around & about in this city; as they're going to be the ones that's going to endure/put up with this crap in their prime years of life - as even less of them in this city will be able to afford as many cars as you currently see on the road here in 2016.... Taking taxi's is a short term solution & isn't (or, shouldn't) be a part of anyone's 5-day-a-week commute.... Give me the person that has a work history of over 10 years that's taken cabs almost everyday of that time period that wasn't/isn't being significantly hit in the pocket... T'hell with the blue collar worker, that shit isn't sustainable long term for your average white collar worker either... When you hear uppity ass Manhattanites bitch about (yellow) cab fares (not being funny, but these complaints are coming from women - the main ones patronizing yellow cabs to begin with), it says enough - At the same time, I'm not exactly crying rivers for them either, because these are the same ones that frown & look down upon those that utilize public transportation....

I don't want to know what the bus network would look like 40-50 years from now.... Sadly, I don't see much of the younger folks caring about bus service (like those of us in this generation & in BrooklynBus/Trainmaster5's generation)..... While all that dam biking & walking is good for your health while you're virile, that shit will catch up to you as you age...

I'm living proof of it.

There are times when I just don't want to take the subway and want to take the bus, and the nonsense I see on the M101, M102, M103 line is amazing.  Other times I simply refuse to deal with it and get a cab... 5 minute ride via cab versus what can be a 20-30 minute ride via bus.  Yesterday after a stop at Whole Foods, I checked BusTime... No M101 at all coming, so just one M102 and a M103, the latter being even rarer to get these days given the games the M103 drivers will play.  After I got off of the M103 a barrage of M103s came (at least 4 buses).  Just disgusting how they bunch up.  There have been times that I've seen six buses come at once at along 3rd and 61st and 3rd and 86th.  

I feel that the M98 should be eliminated. After it was cut back from Midtown I feel like the routes become even more useless than I was before. I'm actually surprised it was never cut in 2010 because the M101 LTD, M4, the (6) and any crosstown route to the (A)(B)(C)(D) trains serves as the alternatives. I don't see any way that route can generate any type of ridership of its own besides maybe that nonstop portion past Harlem.

I feel that the M98 should be eliminated. After it was cut back from Midtown I feel like the routes become even more useless than I was before. I'm actually surprised it was never cut in 2010 because the M101 LTD, M4, the (6) and any crosstown route to the (A)(B)(C)(D) trains serves as the alternatives. I don't see any way that route can generate any type of ridership of its own besides maybe that nonstop portion past Harlem.

The M98 is not going anywhere.  It has a purpose, which is to give East Side access to those who live in Washington Heights area and further north.  You forget that those areas only have the (1) or (A), (not to mention the extremely hilly topography) and the only way to transfer is to take one of those to 42nd street, which can mean a lot of backtracking.  I see the bus in the morning.  Never packed to the rafters, but certainly enough people to sustain the bus.  It at least brings people over to the (4)(5)(6). It should kept for that reason alone to take some of the burden off of the Lex line.  

If Washington Heights didn't have the M98, I'm sure they would've fought for some bus to the East Side arguing that they have no East Side access and face a two-fare zone, similar to the way Inwood pushed the (MTA) to extend the BxM1 with select trips running via Inwood.  

Upper Manhattan overall may look great on paper, but the residents have some of the most terrible commutes IMO.  The hills are insane and literally cut you off from other areas at times; the (1) and (A) can be a pain on weekends, since one is usually knocked out, and those stupid elevators always seems like they're going to break down at any moment.  It's one reason I opted again moving to Inwood years ago when I considered moving to Upper Manhattan.  Always loved the area by the Cloisters, but the commute... They can keep it.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I've definitely seen the M98 packed to the brim going peak rush hour direction. It definitely serves a purpose and i would say MTA definitely hit the nail. For a part time route, it definitely serves its purpose of getting people from washington heights to midtown in the morning FAST. The buses going uptown during the mornings see a moderate amount of ridership.

I've definitely seen the M98 packed to the brim going peak rush hour direction. It definitely serves a purpose and i would say MTA definitely hit the nail. For a part time route, it definitely serves its purpose of getting people from washington heights to midtown in the morning FAST. The buses going uptown during the mornings see a moderate amount of ridership.

It's really a no-brainer when you think about it.  With no East Side subway, something has to bring folks from Upper Manhattan to the East Side.  It runs like an express bus, but it's a cheaper commuter version.  The reason it was cut back to 68th street is I don't think the (MTA) wants to "overserve" the Upper East Side with Limited stop service since that isn't what the M98 is there for, even though the M101, M102 and M103 run like crap.  They seem to have no problem forcing people onto the already overburdened (4)(5)(6) line.  With two minute headways, the (6) train is already packed before 7 in the morning, and of course we know about the (4) and (5)...

Along 5th/6th Avenues, the M7 & M1/2/3 are more frequent north of 14th/8th Streets respectively, so by default, the M55 will just be another bus for those riders. Heading northbound along 6th, the M7 should be a bit more reliable than the M55 (since its terminal is right there at 14th Street), and it actually goes all the way to Columbus Circle & the UWS, so in that area, the M55 will just be a supplementary route. Heading southbound, the M55 starts at 44th Street, and goes further south than the M1/2/3, so it might get a bit more ridership there.

I actually agree with the split, and think it'll work out. The frequency will probably be cut a bit compared to the current M5, but hopefully there should be fewer of those 30 minute gaps with 3 buses bunched right afterwards. I just wonder what the short-turn points will be on both routes. (Obviously 135th will be a short-turn point on the M5 because of the depot, I doubt they'll use 42nd anymore, maybe they'll add 59th as a short-turn point. The M55....maybe 14th Street or something, but maybe they'll leave it without any short-turn points since it's a relatively short route). 

And speaking of splitting up routes to prevent bunching, just my luck I missed a pair of X10s by a couple of minutes, and the next one was about 40 minutes away, with two X17s bunching heading uptown and nothing heading downtown. Typical Sunday...

If Washington Heights didn't have the M98, I'm sure they would've fought for some bus to the East Side arguing that they have no East Side access and face a two-fare zone, similar to the way Inwood pushed the (MTA) to extend the BxM1 with select trips running via Inwood.  

The M4 & M101 do (eventually) get to the East Side. 

The M98 is not going anywhere.  It has a purpose, which is to give East Side access to those who live in Washington Heights area and further north.  You forget that those areas only have the  (1) or  (A), (not to mention the extremely hilly topography) and the only way to transfer is to take one of those to 42nd street, which can mean a lot of backtracking.  I see the bus in the morning.  Never packed to the rafters, but certainly enough people to sustain the bus.  It at least brings people over to the  (4)  (5)  (6). It should kept for that reason alone to take some of the burden off of the Lex line.  

If Washington Heights didn't have the M98, I'm sure they would've fought for some bus to the East Side arguing that they have no East Side access and face a two-fare zone, similar to the way Inwood pushed the  (MTA) to extend the BxM1 with select trips running via Inwood.  

Upper Manhattan overall may look great on paper, but the residents have some of the most terrible commutes IMO.  The hills are insane and literally cut you off from other areas at times; the  (1) and  (A) can be a pain on weekends, since one is usually knocked out, and those stupid elevators always seems like they're going to break down at any moment.  It's one reason I opted again moving to Inwood years ago when I considered moving to Upper Manhattan.  Always loved the area by the Cloisters, but the commute... They can keep it.

The M4 & M101 do (eventually) get to the East Side. 

Of course they do... I didn't mention them because they're excruciatingly slow.  Someone trying to get to work in a reasonable amount of time would likely backtrack with the subway.  I've taken the M4 from by up the Cloisters to Midtown plenty of times years ago and even then it was a slow ride. 

The M98 is not going anywhere.  It has a purpose, which is to give East Side access to those who live in Washington Heights area and further north.  You forget that those areas only have the (1) or (A), (not to mention the extremely hilly topography) and the only way to transfer is to take one of those to 42nd street, which can mean a lot of backtracking.  I see the bus in the morning.  Never packed to the rafters, but certainly enough people to sustain the bus.  It at least brings people over to the (4)(5)(6). It should kept for that reason alone to take some of the burden off of the Lex line.  

Upper Manhattan overall may look great on paper, but the residents have some of the most terrible commutes IMO.  The hills are insane and literally cut you off from other areas at times; the (1) and (A) can be a pain on weekends, since one is usually knocked out, and those stupid elevators always seems like they're going to break down at any moment.  It's one reason I opted again moving to Inwood years ago when I considered moving to Upper Manhattan.  Always loved the area by the Cloisters, but the commute... They can keep it.

You make a good selling point for the route, but I'm here to state that in terms of its prior utilization, the M98 was two things:

1] an "express" between Washington Hgts. & East Harlem...

2] another LTD bus along 3rd/Lex (for those that didn't need it north of East Harlem)

Those that lived south of East Harlem took it, as a means of not having to put up with the M101 (which of course, serves Amsterdam & also 125th).....

I mean, the M98 was never a juggernaut when it came down its usage, but regardless, the MTA should have left that route alone.... There was a significant amt. of usage (for its standards anyway) the route had b/w 34th & Hunter College (area).... As is, the route is bastardized, it's as if they cut it back to have it avoid the heavy traffic that's caused by those coming off/going on to the Queensboro Bridge.... They might as well cut it & dedicate those resources to some other MHV route, if it's not going to run back down to 34th... That's the way I see it.... Let them continue to feed (Washington Hgts. riders) cake with the M101 for the minimal purpose you mention of dropping off pax for the Lex line - and in saying that, I'm a bit surprised they didn't cut the thing outright either..... All I ever hear from about CB12 is either something regarding liquor licensing or something regarding noise complaints.... Never hear shit about any concerns about buses or trains....

Even before they f***ed with the route, it had latent ridership the MTA never bothered to tap into.... The Inwood folks.

Even though buses were scheduled to end at Cabrini, you had more than a fair share of M98's stopping dead at GWB....

Edited by B35 via Church

As is, they might as well eliminate it..... However, you're taking the point too far though; any crosstown route to the A/B/C/D....

Also, the M4 isn't really an alternative (hence the M98 [being scheduled] to end with the M4)....

The route has riderbases still.... My problem with the MTA's tinkering of the M98 is that they pretty much decimated one of them.....

They didn't hit any nail, they bent it....

The problem isn't the (core) route itself & how fast it is (of course its faster, now that it only has to deal with running up from 65th or whatever), the problem is that the route is stunted....

Edited by B35 via Church

You make a good selling point for the route, but I'm here to state that in terms of its prior utilization, the M98 was two things:

1] an "express" between Washington Hgts. & East Harlem...

2] another LTD bus along 3rd/Lex (for those that didn't need it north of East Harlem)

Those that lived south of East Harlem took it, as a means of not having to put up with the M101 (which of course, serves Amsterdam & also 125th).....

I mean, the M98 was never a juggernaut when it came down its usage, but regardless, the MTA should have left that route alone.... There was a significant amt. of usage (for its standards anyway) the route had b/w 34th & Hunter College (area).... As is, the route is bastardized, it's as if they cut it back to have it avoid the heavy traffic that's caused by those coming off/going on to the Queensboro Bridge.... They might as well cut it & dedicate those resources to some other MHV route, if it's not going to run back down to 34th... That's the way I see it.... Let them continue to feed (Washington Hgts. riders) cake with the M101 for the minimal purpose you mention of dropping off pax for the Lex line - and in saying that, I'm a bit surprised they didn't cut the thing outright either..... All I ever hear from about CB12 is either something regarding liquor licensing or something regarding noise complaints.... Never hear shit about any concerns about buses or trains....

Even before they f***ed with the route, it had latent ridership the MTA never bothered to tap into.... The Inwood folks.

Even though buses were scheduled to end at Cabrini, you had more than a fair share of M98's stopping dead at GWB....

But yeah, my stance is a simple one... Either restore it back to Murray Hill or dedicate those buses to some other route.....

I'm not so sure I would restore it back to 34th street just yet.  Have you seen how horrendous Lex has become?  Below 96th street it's basically a parking lot most days, with delivery trucks galore all over Lex.  I'm getting so sick of it that I rarely use the BxM1 now unless I don't care what time I'll be in the office or it's a weekend and I can't get the BxM2 in time.  I'd rather opt for the BxM2 or Metro-North.  There's not much the (MTA) can do I suppose, but they need to look into seeing what the DOT can do about the magnitude of trucks just camped out all over Lex. from FedEx trucks, UPS trucks and of course your lovely Fresh Direct trucks.  How could we forget those?   <_< It becomes an obstacle course to maneuver around them and the other trucks and cars double parked.  You're not getting to 34th street unless you give yourself 1.5 to 2 hours, and that isn't a joke either.  They would definitely have to add more time to the M98 and it would be more delayed, so whatever ridership you get from it would likely cancel itself out.  I don't know how those folks along Lex wait as long they do for any of those local buses in the morning, but it isn't like it's much better with the subway. 

I'm not so sure I would restore it back to 34th street just yet.  Have seen how horrendous Lex has become?  Below 96th street it's basically a parking lot most days, with delivery trucks galore all over Lex.  I'm getting so sick of it that I rarely use the BxM1 now unless I don't care what time I'll be in the office or it's a weekend and I can't get the BxM2 in time.  I'd rather opt for the BxM2 or Metro-North.  There's not much the (MTA) can do I suppose, but they need to look into seeing what the DOT can do about the magnitude of trucks just camped out all over Lex. from FedEx trucks, UPS trucks and of course your lovely Fresh Direct trucks.  How could we forget those?   <_< It becomes an obstacle course to maneuver around them and the other trucks and cars double parked.  You're not getting to 34th street unless you give yourself 1.5 to 2 hours, and that isn't a joke either.  They would definitely have to add more time to the M98 and it would be more delayed, so whatever ridership you get from it would likely cancel itself out.  I don't know how those folks along Lex wait as they do for any of those local buses in the morning, but it isn't like it's much better with the subway. 

You're not wrong with any of this, but I'd be willing to take my chances - as I said before, the M98 is that huge of an alternative to the M101 & the god awful 2 hour long (speaking of scheduled 2 hour long routes) M3....

I mention avoiding Queensboro bridge traffic, but I seriously doubt any of that (or what you're saying in this post) had squat to do with why the route was cut back.... If that was the case, the M20 wouldn't run south of 14th & the M11 wouldn't run south of the UWS.....

I don't think it's necessarily a case of their hands being tied (although all those f**** trucks aren't helping matters).... I think it's a matter of frugality.

You're not wrong with any of this, but I'd be willing to take my chances - as I said before, the M98 is that huge of an alternative to the M101 & the god awful 2 hour long (speaking of scheduled 2 hour long routes) M3....

I mention avoiding Queensboro bridge traffic, but I seriously doubt any of that (or what you're saying in this post) had squat to do with why the route was cut back.... If that was the case, the M20 wouldn't run south of 14th & the M11 wouldn't run south of the UWS.....

I don't think it's necessarily a case of their hands being tied (although all those f**** trucks aren't helping matters).... I think it's a matter of frugality.

Oh it most certainly is. They don't want two limited buses running like that down Lex either, so yes it is frugality.  If you look at what the (MTA) has done with local bus service when questioned, they've stated that they're addressing the unreliability... They aren't... What they're doing is cutting back routes and claiming they're more reliable even though they screw over riders leaving fewer alternatives, and turning as many buses into SBS as possible.  Yes boarding is faster on SBS lines but the buses overall still are slow.  I've been on a fair share of M86 buses that took forever to get crosstown. 

Oh it most certainly is. They don't want two limited buses running like that down Lex either, so yes it is frugality.  If you look at what the (MTA) has done with local bus service when questioned, they've stated that they're addressing the unreliability... They aren't... What they're doing is cutting back routes and claiming they're more reliable even though they screw over riders leaving fewer alternatives, and turning as many buses into SBS as possible.  Yes boarding is faster on SBS lines but the buses overall still are slow.  I've been on a fair share of M86 buses that took forever to get crosstown. 

...but yet running 2 LTD's (set to be SBS' themselves) is perfectly okay along Woodhaven.... Beautiful double standard.

The guise that's in full motion here, is this notion that SBS is & has cut down on commuting times significantly.... None of this considers (the sheer amount of) other vehicles on the road.... That's been my gripe with how great SBS isn't from day one.... These buses are not flying over existing traffic George Jetson style, and it should be an insult to the intelligence of every single local/LTD/SBS bus rider in this city....

You know how they're addressing unreliability? Budget cuts.....

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there, does it still make a sound?

Putting it another way, ignoring the elephant in the room doesn't make it go away....