BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

...but yet running 2 LTD's (set to be SBS' themselves) is perfectly okay along Woodhaven.... Beautiful double standard.

During rush hour, you have the M1, M2, and M4 all running limited down 5th/Madison Avenue, so I don't think it's an issue of having two limiteds on one corridor. (Heck, I can name you a bunch of SI corridors that fit that description lol)

And the way I see it, the Q52 is basically a short-turn Q53. I don't really see the M98 as a short-turn M101 (whether we're talking about the old version to 34th Street or the present version to 68th Street)

On a different note, I have a proposal to adjust the loading guidelines for local bus service. Instead of having a set guideline scheme to use, each route has it's own particular guideline load structure that takes into account it's particular ridership patterns and allows room for growth to take place without overcrowding. 

They have different guidelines for grid vs. feeder routes. Are you referring to changing the guidelines based on whether ridership is increasing or decreasing.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's really a no-brainer when you think about it. With no East Side subway, something has to bring folks from Upper Manhattan to the East Side. It runs like an express bus, but it's a cheaper commuter version. The reason it was cut back to 68th street is I don't think the (MTA) wants to "overserve" the Upper East Side with Limited stop service since that isn't what the M98 is there for, even though the M101, M102 and M103 run like crap. They seem to have no problem forcing people onto the already overburdened (4)(5)(6) line. With two minute headways, the (6) train is already packed before 7 in the morning, and of course we know about the (4) and (5)...

If it does get used the way you guys says it does I would at least extend it back down to Midtown 42nd because I think running only to 68th street does nothing for the route.

For those of you who use the late evening/Night buses, do many customers use the Request-A-Stop or does pretty much everyone just use the established stops?  Even though it's been awhile since I used the real late buses, around here some Detroit routes could use that program because of abandoned structures and low illuminated stops.

For those of you who use the late evening/Night buses, do many customers use the Request-A-Stop or does pretty much everyone just use the established stops?  Even though it's been awhile since I used the real late buses, around here some Detroit routes could use that program because of abandoned structures and low illuminated stops.

On the BxM2 late nights, there are some people that will request a stop.  I usually don't bother with it unless the driver offers or I know the driver and don't feel like walking.

If it does get used the way you guys says it does I would at least extend it back down to Midtown 42nd because I think running only to 68th street does nothing for the route.

68th street gets people to Hunter College so it isn't bad of a terminus but I get your point.  It seems as if a large amount of people use it for stops before that anyway.  

I have never been on a bus where someone has used the Request-A-Stop, but then again in my area buses stop every two blocks, so it wouldn't really make a difference (since a block is a total of two minutes of walking, if that)

As someone who actually lives near the M98 and takes it on occasion when not on an express bus, i'll make a few points:

You can't comment on the route when you don't live in the borough or ride the route (see the avatar with a B in it)

The M101 is not easy to get to. There's Fort George Hill by the first stop and Yeshiva University along Amsterdam Avenue. Taking the M98 away would only overcrowd the M4 even more and likely make some M101's (those that choose to take it) even worse.

The M98 should experimentally be full-time. If it doesn't work, cut it back to part-time. It sees enough ridership to warrant this and definitely has no business being eliminated. It really gets crowded along 178th.

To those who rode 1240, 4268, 7342, or any other bus with the new screens, what was your experience on them? Do they have automated announcements working? We're there any glitches on the screens?

The screens work perfectly fine. It tracks your bus in real time on the screen with a map overlay.

To be honest, I think a lot of the problems with the M5, and M7 stem from changing demographics and the appalling traffic along 6th.  The M5 and to some extent the M7 are both used more by tourists than anyone else.  I'm tutoring a kid on the Upper West Side and the family is from BC.  They all use the subway or walk.  The bus is an afterthought unless there are no options, then the M86 may be used.  There are so many transplants moving here and they all gravitate to the subway or they take taxis.  I think they somehow believe that it makes them fit in.  The Upper East Side along Madison & 5th hasn't changed, so there you still have monied folks that will use the local bus over the subway.  It wasn't that long ago that you have more New Yorkers using the M5 and M7.  They still exist but less so.  It's something the (MTA) will need to look at because outside of the lines where people have no choice, they will flock to the subway.  

That was one thing that irked me when I was dorming last year. I must've been the only student in my dorm that used the bus, I think one other student did but not as regularly as I did. 

That's my main gripe with these transplants that move to New York from other parts of the country. They seem to have this notion that the bus is solely for the poor, or that it's not trendy like the subway (I hope J. Cole's music video that he shot aboard a bus in Queens changes that somewhat, it's called "False Prophetz" if you'd like to check it out. It's a good song.) They don't take the time to realize their multi-modal alternatives when they move here and think that when the subway craps out, uber is a cheaper/more convenient option. As someone who uses Uber frequently down here in the 'burbs, I will tell you first hand, it's not that convenient and frequent usage will blow a hole in your pocket. If I was living in say, the Bronx, I'd learn my alternatives and take advantage of them as I see fit. 

If I was living in the Bronx and needed to get from say, West Farms to 125th and the (2)(5) were running Express and I'm not in a hurry:

Okay, no big deal. I'll just hop the Bx40/42 to Burnside and get the (4) or take the 40/42 to 3rd Ave for the Bx15 or Webster for the 41 and take either to The Hub. I have an unlimited so it won't hit my pockets.  

If a transplant was living in the Bronx and needed to get from say, West Farms to 125th and the (2)(5) were running Express and wasn't in a hurry:

They won't even consider the bus an option. They'll dial up an uber and spend about $10-15 to get down there. They probably had an unlimited as well. 

I watched one of those NowThis-type videos on Facebook that talked about how Uber and Lyft posed a threat to public transit, which would in turn would hurt low-income communities that rely on buses. I'll link it in a little bit. 

EDIT: I couldn't find the video, but in my search for it I came across this article. http://www.forbes.com/sites/tarunwadhwa/2014/11/13/will-lyft-and-ubers-shared-ride-service-put-public-transit-out-of-business/#7c68e0581f58

Edited by DaTransitMan4608

That was one thing that irked me when I was dorming last year. I must've been the only student in my dorm that used the bus, I think one other student did but not as regularly as I did. 

That's my main gripe with these transplants that move to New York from other parts of the country. They seem to have this notion that the bus is solely for the poor, or that it's not trendy like the subway (I hope J. Cole's music video that he shot aboard a bus in Queens changes that somewhat, it's called "False Prophetz" if you'd like to check it out. It's a good song.) They don't take the time to realize their multi-modal alternatives when they move here and think that when the subway craps out, uber is a cheaper/more convenient option. As someone who uses Uber frequently down here in the 'burbs, I will tell you first hand, it's not that convenient and frequent usage will blow a hole in your pocket. If I was living in say, the Bronx, I'd learn my alternatives and take advantage of them as I see fit. 

If I was living in the Bronx and needed to get from say, West Farms to 125th and the (2)(5) were running Express and I'm not in a hurry:

Okay, no big deal. I'll just hop the Bx40/42 to Burnside and get the (4) or take the 40/42 to 3rd Ave for the Bx15 or Webster for the 41 and take either to The Hub. I have an unlimited so it won't hit my pockets.  

If a transplant was living in the Bronx and needed to get from say, West Farms to 125th and the (2)(5) were running Express and wasn't in a hurry:

They won't even consider the bus an option. They'll dial up an uber and spend about $10-15 to get down there. They probably had an unlimited as well. 

I watched one of those NowThis-type videos on Facebook that talked about how Uber and Lyft posed a threat to public transit, which would in turn would hurt low-income communities that rely on buses. I'll link it in a little bit. 

EDIT: I couldn't find the video, but in my search for it I came across this article. http://www.forbes.com/sites/tarunwadhwa/2014/11/13/will-lyft-and-ubers-shared-ride-service-put-public-transit-out-of-business/#7c68e0581f58

I listened to that song a few days ago (saw the video yesterday). Nicely crafted, I liked it (better than most hip-hop music that's trending right now). However, I don't know if that's what those transplants typically listen to (quite frankly, IDK even know what types of music they generally listen to).

I mean, the only area where those transplants are more likely to use the bus is areas along and near the Williamsburg waterfront, since there's no other way of going north or south by subway unless you make your way into Manhattan, and all that nonsense. However, the green taxis are there as well, and they probably make some good money out there (which hinders bus ridership). Even then, the B62's service has been cut down; I remember the headways being every 15 minutes all day on Sundays, now it's 20 minutes during some parts, and 15 minutes only in the afternoon.

Given how much I already spend between Metro-North and the express bus, I try to avoid using cabs unless I'm being reimbursed for them or I can write them off come tax time.  The other night I had a meeting Downtown and the (F) train was a disaster.  I had gone as far south as I could with the (D) (Broadway/Lafayette).  After 30 minutes and only two (F) trains coming by with each train packed and people left behind, I gave up and took a cab the rest of the way.  Cost me about $15.00 with tip, plus I had to direct the damn guy since he didn't know the street, but he got me to my meeting just in time so it was worth it.  However, when I added up the cost for the cabs I took just for that night, I spent about $50.00 (just for 3 cab rides).  The other thing with cab rides in Manhattan is if there's traffic you have to pay to sit in it, and still tip the guy for the inconvenience, so when do I use them, I'm always mindful of where I'm at in the city to avoid that nonsense. Of course there are times when I do use cabs for one reason or another, but I try not to blow money on them frivolously.  $50 - 100 gets you a nice lunch or dinner...

The thing is most of these folks either have their parents paying their rent & giving them money OR they have like 5 roommates. lol If you don't have a rent or mortgage to pay, that frees up a lot of money. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Given how much I already spend between Metro-North and the express bus, I try to avoid using cabs unless I'm being reimbursed for them or I can write them off come tax time.  The other night I had a meeting Downtown and the (F) train was a disaster.  I had gone as far south as I could with the (D) (Broadway/Lafayette).  After 30 minutes and only two (F) trains coming by with each train packed and people left behind, I gave up and took a cab the rest of the way.  Cost me about $15.00 with tip, plus I had to direct the damn guy since he didn't know the street, but he got me to my meeting just in time so it was worth it.  However, when I added up the cost for the cabs I took just for that night, I spent about $50.00 (just for 3 cab rides).  The other thing with cab rides in Manhattan is if there's traffic you have to pay to sit in it, and still tip the guy for the inconvenience, so when do I use them, I'm always mindful of where I'm at in the city to avoid that nonsense. Of course there are times when I do use cabs for one reason or another, but I try not to blow money on them frivolously.  $50 - 100 gets you a nice lunch or dinner...

The thing is most of these folks either have their parents paying their rent & giving them money OR they have like 5 roommates. lol If you don't have a rent or mortgage to pay, that frees up a lot of money. 

Good points. I don't have that kind of money to spend, so I make sure to remember alternate routes, first using other subway lines and then going upstairs for a bus. I have an unlimited most of the time so I pay no fare penalty switching to another bus but i like to say in the subway if possible because its usually faster than the time it takes to wait for a bus plus trip time.

I like how the newer On the Go kiosks now have BusTime installed for nearby bus routes, so you can make an informed decision while still on the platform.

Good points. I don't have that kind of money to spend, so I make sure to remember alternate routes, first using other subway lines and then going upstairs for a bus. I have an unlimited most of the time so I pay no fare penalty switching to another bus but i like to say in the subway if possible because its usually faster than the time it takes to wait for a bus plus trip time.

I like how the newer On the Go kiosks now have BusTime installed for nearby bus routes, so you can make an informed decision while still on the platform.

In some cases, it's best to use the bus or subway because there are times when it is nearly impossible to get a cab and the ones available try to charge double the fare.  I once had a guy propose $35.00 from Grand Central to the Union Square area.  I told him there was no way in hell I was paying that.  Suffice it to say he wasn't picking up any fares but kept trying to overcharge anyway as I saw him driving up and down 42nd street. lol  What he was proposing was almost triple what I normally pay...

On the BxM2 late nights, there are some people that will request a stop.  I usually don't bother with it unless the driver offers or I know the driver and don't feel like walking.

68th street gets people to Hunter College so it isn't bad of a terminus but I get your point.  It seems as if a large amount of people use it for stops before that anyway.  

I would have to agree with NewFlyer 230. 42nd Street would be a more optimal terminal. One of the biggest complains since the M98 cuts was the lack of subway line transfers. 68th Street only offers the (6), which is already overcrowded to the teeth during the rush hour. 42nd Street offers more subway connections just a block or two away. Grand Central alone would be beneficial to the route.

But the Q53 couldn't handle Woodhaven by itself. So we had to add another LTD.

So there's a big difference between Lexington/3 Avs and Woodhaven/Cross Bay? Give me a break

They just had to add another LTD, to spare the axing of the Q21.... The Q52 is that 21 LTD.....

So this really all boils down to the Q21.

The Q21 extension (to QCM) cut into Q11 service, and prior to that, the Q53 (the rendition that first saw LTD stops along woodhaven, instead of going straight to the Wildlife Refuge from Hoffman) cut into the ridership of the Q11... The latter I never had a problem with, it's the former I have an issue with....

Basically, all that was needed was the local Q11 & the LTD Q53.... Now you have this over-saturation of LTD service & a very noticeable lack of local service along Woodhaven, and I firmly believe that is by design.....

Unlike with the M98, notice the Q52 nor the Q53 is seeing any bastardization.... Yeah, because they want M101 LTD's to be crushloaded, the M98 gone, and the Q52/53 SBS'd.....

During rush hour, you have the M1, M2, and M4 all running limited down 5th/Madison Avenue, so I don't think it's an issue of having two limiteds on one corridor. (Heck, I can name you a bunch of SI corridors that fit that description lol)

And the way I see it, the Q52 is basically a short-turn Q53. I don't really see the M98 as a short-turn M101 (whether we're talking about the old version to 34th Street or the present version to 68th Street)

I get the sense they don't really want to run that route (M98); hell, I felt that way even before the cutback to 67th/68th.... But as it is, the MTA does little things like this to thwart riders away from taking a route (route truncation to where a route's much less useful, significant enough span reduction &/or headway increases)..... Then when enough riders no longer consider utilizing a route of sorts that already suffers from low ridership, then there's their justification right there to axe it...... I happen to think VG8's onto something with that LTD thing....

To your other point, I don't see neither one of them as being short turns to their other respective LTD routes (Q52 to the Q53, M98 to the M101)....

pair 1] Most the folks along Woodhaven/Cross Bay are not riding past the mall; turnover is ridiculous at QCM for the Q53.....So as such, the Q52 IMO is nothing more than an unnecessary 2nd LTD along Woodhaven.... Worse, if we're to talk about the Rockaway portion, the demand is by far & large for the Q53......

pair 2] As for the M98 & M101, I see them as two separate routes.... One that the MTA wants everyone along that corridor to cram on, and one the MTA wants to fail & eventually can.....

As someone who actually lives near the M98 and takes it on occasion when not on an express bus, i'll make a few points:

You can't comment on the route when you don't live in the borough or ride the route (see the avatar with a B in it)

The M101 is not easy to get to. There's Fort George Hill by the first stop and Yeshiva University along Amsterdam Avenue. Taking the M98 away would only overcrowd the M4 even more and likely make some M101's (those that choose to take it) even worse.

The M98 should experimentally be full-time. If it doesn't work, cut it back to part-time. It sees enough ridership to warrant this and definitely has no business being eliminated. It really gets crowded along 178th.

Avatar with a B in it... Yeah, alright...

I'm going comment on any route I have rode many times before, regardless of where I don't live; silly prerequisite to try to impose on someone & silence them with.....

For someone who's more proximal to the M98 & takes it on occasion or whatever, one would think you have a hell of a lot more to add than how so difficult it is to get to the M101, how crowded the M4 would supposedly be, and how crowded the M98 gets along 178th (which was never disputed anyway).... Have someone read your post, they'd think the M98 only served Washington Heights.....

I find that most people resort to using the fixed/regular stops....

All jokes aside, I find that the main people that (inadvertently) use request a stop are actually..... drunks..... Well that & rowdy teenagers/young adults coming back from some party.... But regular nightly commuters, nah...

Before I started doing a bunch of late night fanning many moons ago, I would have thought that demographic would have been heavily female requesting to get off at a corner that isn't a bus stop or w/e, but I find that even they tend to ring the bell to get off at a fixed stop.....

I would just send it back down to 34 St. I wouldn't make it run all day though

42nd is a nice compromise, but I would still also revert the full routing of the M98.... Don't know about all day per se, but I actually wish it did have a broader span..... Cutting it to end it around Hunter college is flat-out bullshit...

I would have to agree with NewFlyer 230. 42nd Street would be a more optimal terminal. One of the biggest complains since the M98 cuts was the lack of subway line transfers. 68th Street only offers the (6), which is already overcrowded to the teeth during the rush hour. 42nd Street offers more subway connections just a block or two away. Grand Central alone would be beneficial to the route.

More transfer options but more delayed buses. Guess it would be a question of which passengers preferred. I saw two this morning back-to-back. If they could address how they ensure buses doing Northbound trips afterwards could be on-time, it would be worth it.

More transfer options but more delayed buses. Guess it would be a question of which passengers preferred. I saw two this morning back-to-back. If they could address how they ensure buses doing Northbound trips afterwards could be on-time, it would be worth it.

I'm not familiar with the traffic because I'm usually walking around the UES...

Would running the M98 on Park Av improve reliability?

I'm not familiar with the traffic because I'm usually walking around the UES...

Would running the M98 on Park Av improve reliability?

Sure, but there's one problem...NIMBY's

It runs via Park briefly but that would not happen below 96th street. Park Avenue is one of the wealthiest avenues in NYC and they have very few bus stops anywhere near Park Ave (below 96th street for that reason). Even bike kiosks are always off of Park.

I couldn't find the person who said it, but if it's extended to Midtown, it should be for the direct service to the businesses, etc. The transfers are really secondary at that point. Anybody from Washington Heights (whether they're Washington Heights residents or transferring from the GWB Bus Terminal) taking it that far down is likely taking the M98 to avoid transferring, and people from the UES who need to transfer already have the M101/102/103 (and it doesn't seem that bus-bus transferring is really common among Manhattan bus riders anyway. Bus-subway transfers are a different story of course, especially on the crosstown buses)

For those of you who use the late evening/Night buses, do many customers use the Request-A-Stop or does pretty much everyone just use the established stops?  Even though it's been awhile since I used the real late buses, around here some Detroit routes could use that program because of abandoned structures and low illuminated stops.\

Technically, they say that Request-A-Stop is not available on +SBS+ routes, limited-stop routes, and express routes. I've heard that excuse from the MTA's customer service representatives when I complained that one of the last S93 drivers of the night basically made me walk in the grass along Victory Blvd because he didn't want to drop me off outside the CSI gate. The MTA's response was that it's not available on limited-stop buses, even though the S93 runs local west of Jewett.

It makes sense not to have it on the limited-stop/express portions of the limited/express routes because there's usually alternatives in those areas (and obviously it doesn't make sense to have an express bus randomly get off the highway and drop somebody off). But once they're running on their local portions, I don't see why that shouldn't happen. Most B/Os at that time of night are reasonable, but you have some of those annoying "by the book" operators who just like to bust chops.

I have never been on a bus where someone has used the Request-A-Stop, but then again in my area buses stop every two blocks, so it wouldn't really make a difference (since a block is a total of two minutes of walking, if that)

On the S44, I see it used a lot by Davis Avenue (the traffic light after Bard heading westbound). Even if the light is green, people will hold up the bus and ask the B/O to stop there. But otherwise, I usually just see B/Os being more lenient about letting people off at red lights just before the normal stop. (Honestly, the policy should be a little more flexible during the day with regards to that, but whatever)

Or you can just walk to East 180th in that case (or take the Bx21 to either East 180th Street or The Hub)

But basically, I see it as a mixed bag. On one hand, some of those people would've otherwise taken the bus, but on the other hand, having a service like Uber means that some of these people will use that as an alternative to buying a car. Once they have a car, they're a lot less likely to be using mass transit for those local trips. (Now trips into Manhattan may be a different story)

I get the sense they don't really want to run that route (M98); hell, I felt that way even before the cutback to 67th/68th.... But as it is, the MTA does little things like this to thwart riders away from taking a route (route truncation to where a route's much less useful, significant enough span reduction &/or headway increases)..... Then when enough riders no longer consider utilizing a route of sorts that already suffers from low ridership, then there's their justification right there to axe it...... I happen to think VG8's onto something with that LTD thing....

To your other point, I don't see neither one of them as being short turns to their other respective LTD routes (Q52 to the Q53, M98 to the M101)....

pair 1] Most the folks along Woodhaven/Cross Bay are not riding past the mall; turnover is ridiculous at QCM for the Q53.....So as such, the Q52 IMO is nothing more than an unnecessary 2nd LTD along Woodhaven.... Worse, if we're to talk about the Rockaway portion, the demand is by far & large for the Q53......

pair 2] As for the M98 & M101, I see them as two separate routes.... One that the MTA wants everyone along that corridor to cram on, and one the MTA wants to fail & eventually can.....

The demand is higher for the Rockaway Park portion, but at the same time, the Q53 basically has double the frequency of the Q52, so it's not like the Q52 is tremendously overserved. And turnover might be high at the QCM, but at the same time, that doesn't negate the fact that the Q53 route physically begins at Woodside (in other words, it's a backup in case there's traffic along Broadway in Elmhurst).

Would you feel any differently if the Q52 was a local? (No change in the physical route, but all local stops from QCM to Arverne). One of the things is that the Q52 basically provides extra limited-stop capacity along Woodhaven, but at the same time, some of that demand (i.e. the need for that limited-stop capacity to begin with) is due to the crappy local service.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

Technically, they say that Request-A-Stop is not available on +SBS+ routes, limited-stop routes, and express routes. I've heard that excuse from the MTA's customer service representatives when I complained that one of the last S93 drivers of the night basically made me walk in the grass along Victory Blvd because he didn't want to drop me off outside the CSI gate. The MTA's response was that it's not available on limited-stop buses, even though the S93 runs local west of Jewett.

It makes sense not to have it on the limited-stop/express portions of the limited/express routes because there's usually alternatives in those areas (and obviously it doesn't make sense to have an express bus randomly get off the highway and drop somebody off). But once they're running on their local portions, I don't see why that shouldn't happen. Most B/Os at that time of night are reasonable, but you have some of those annoying "by the book" operators who just like to bust chops.

With drivers that I'm cool with they'll outright off to drop me off where ever, regardless of when it is, esp. if no one is on the bus.  On occasion their offer my work for my commute, but usually that's not the case,  and yes, you have some B/Os that are outright a-holes because they play the sexist crap where they will make exceptions for females but not males.  What irks me though is passengers that think they're supposed to receive car service.  We have a guy like that on the BxM2. He may or may not be an (MTA) worker, but he is disabled and since his building isn't exactly where the bus stop is located, he often requests the bus to stop literally in the middle of the Henry Hudson Parkway Service Road.  Some drivers do it and pull as close to the curb as possible to accommodate him since he's a regular, and others don't, citing safety.  He got really angry with a buddy of mine and started filing complaints saying that his request was during times when you can request a stop.  The B/O countered that the area he wanted to get off at wasn't safe (definitely isn't) and he didn't want him getting injured trying to get off. Eventually the guy apologized for being so obnoxious and has since just requested to get off at the actual bus stop.  His building is only a short walk away, but I suppose with his disability it is still a hassle.