BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

That makes no sense given the (MTA)'s push to phase out these high floor artics. So you're saying they are short of buses?

Pretty much. They've been borrowing +Select buses from Hale and 100th Street as of late.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Edited by Cait Sith

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With drivers that I'm cool with they'll outright off to drop me off where ever, regardless of when it is, esp. if no one is on the bus.  On occasion their offer my work for my commute, but usually that's not the case,  and yes, you have some B/Os that are outright a-holes because they play the sexist crap where they will make exceptions for females but not males.  What irks me though is passengers that think they're supposed to receive car service.  We have a guy like that on the BxM2. He may or may not be an (MTA) worker, but he is disabled and since his building isn't exactly where the bus stop is located, he often requests the bus to stop literally in the middle of the Henry Hudson Parkway Service Road.  Some drivers do it and pull as close to the curb as possible to accommodate him since he's a regular, and others don't, citing safety.  He got really angry with a buddy of mine and started filing complaints saying that his request was during times when you can request a stop.  The B/O countered that the area he wanted to get off at wasn't safe (definitely isn't) and he didn't want him getting injured trying to get off. Eventually the guy apologized for being so obnoxious and has since just requested to get off at the actual bus stop.  His building is only a short walk away, but I suppose with his disability it is still a hassle.

What route is this?

He seems to be talking about unofficial drop-offs... Usually that's the BxM4... Depends on the driver though... We have lots of newbies now and most are by the book.

I was talking about you specifically as I bolded part of your statement, but I think Turtle answered the question.

I never really noticed until today, but 5987 is A LOT faster than the 7000 series XD40s. Being on a 74xx after riding 5987 feels slow and horrible. Why can't they adjust the Allisons on the XD40s? Those buses are way to slow when accelerating.  

Artics generally have more power than their 40ft variants. The engine and the transmission is more powerful (Cummins ISL9 380HP compared to a 330HP and an Allison WB-500R Gen V compared to a WB-400R Gen V) than their 40ft counterparts.

A proper comparison would be artic to artic.

Still think it's more of a function of the operators not putting the pedal down fully.

Our XD40s are a bit slower on early acceleration than the old ISL-05s on the D40LFs (and those D40s make up the bulk of the fleet on the streets).  And in the progression, the 2003-05 D40LFs are the fastest, the 2010 D40LFs with ISL-07s are a bit slower, and the XD40s a bit slower than both of those.  And let's remember that the XDs are lighter than the oldies to boot.

From the one audio clip someone posted here of an MTA XD accelerating, there was no question that the operator didn't have his foot completely down because you could tell from the downshifts -- there wasn't complete "spin-out".

Even on our busiest routes (which would be comparable to most of yours when considering distance between stops, traffic conditions, traffic lights) where stops are made pretty much every 2 blocks, DDOT operators do flat-foot on pull-out even if someone is waiting 2 blocks ahead.  Then again, they also wave people to get inside the door, close it and foot immediately goes down -- and Detroit riders know they have to hold on while fiddling at the farebox.

Still think it's more of a function of the operators not putting the pedal down fully.

Our XD40s are a bit slower on early acceleration than the old ISL-05s on the D40LFs (and those D40s make up the bulk of the fleet on the streets). And in the progression, the 2003-05 D40LFs are the fastest, the 2010 D40LFs with ISL-07s are a bit slower, and the XD40s a bit slower than both of those. And let's remember that the XDs are lighter than the oldies to boot.

From the one audio clip someone posted here of an MTA XD accelerating, there was no question that the operator didn't have his foot completely down because you could tell from the downshifts -- there wasn't complete "spin-out".

Even on our busiest routes (which would be comparable to most of yours when considering distance between stops, traffic conditions, traffic lights) where stops are made pretty much every 2 blocks, DDOT operators do flat-foot on pull-out even if someone is waiting 2 blocks ahead. Then again, they also wave people to get inside the door, close it and foot immediately goes down -- and Detroit riders know they have to hold on while fiddling at the farebox.

There's that too. But our 40fters are geared rather stupidly. The 4800s we have are geared properly and take off even with the operator not applying all the pressure, the 7100s are horrible in that regard.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

As per BusTime, 8341 is running on the Bx12 +SBS. SMH  -_-

Gun Hill really runs those artics into the ground.  I see that they use the earlier low floor buses on the Bx4A and Bx22 a lot while I wait for the BxM6 and those buses look like garbage.  So old and beat up already and only 6 years old!  Ridiculous.  Give them a repaint at least...

As per BusTime, 8341 is running on the Bx12 +SBS. SMH  -_-

As well as 8326 and a few Next Gens.

There's also some 40ft buses on the B44-SBS. This could all be in prep for the snow today, although I doubt there's going to be much.

Edited by r142a 7795

As well as 8326 and a few Next Gens.

There's also some 40ft buses on the B44-SBS. This could all be in prep for the snow today, although I doubt there's going to be much.

It's good i'm not out there riding this route today then. The artics are sardine cans most of the time so 40 footers, yikes.

There are several 40 footers on most of the artic routes, so its not that big of a deal...

Edited by r142a 7795

Actually, our snowstorm that dumped a pretty even average of 10 inches across the region hit at the perfect time -- on a Sunday.  Most of the DDOT buses were running only 5 minutes down until about 2pm (snow started before dawn).  After that, things did get to 20+ minutes down, but that wasn't even really horrible, especially since most of the routes run 45-60 minute headways -- and it was close to the times when customer counts begin to drop.  But there were still bright spots of "on-time" buses especially on the heavier routes.

Artics (still only have 10) are only used weekdays so that wasn't a concern and even if the storm came today (Monday), extra 40s would have probably been put out at least during AM/PM Peak to cover.

Plus Michigan law won't allow use of chains -- even on buses -- so once a good 4-5" are mushed on the roads, those "all-season" tires don't do anything except spin.  AND bus routes are NOT a priority (even in suburbia where SMART only runs 13 routes on Sunday) to be cleaned -- especially with the number of ecomentalists who "care" about Mother Earth ....... the freeways are for all those cars.

I'm becoming quite concerned at the rate in which eastbound Bx12 SBS buses are being short-turned at Pelham Bay. In the past I would see at most one bus in an extreme bunching scenario get turned around but these days they're not afraid to end multiple trips within the same hour at PBP and keep them moving, if that even. I've seen some buses terminate there and just go out of service while the driver chills around. 

I'm becoming quite concerned at the rate in which eastbound Bx12 SBS buses are being short-turned at Pelham Bay. In the past I would see at most one bus in an extreme bunching scenario get turned around but these days they're not afraid to end multiple trips within the same hour at PBP and keep them moving, if that even. I've seen some buses terminate there and just go out of service while the driver chills around. 

At least for a saavy rider (who doesn't need to save their transfer for anything), it lets them get over to the Bx5/Bx23/Bx29/Q50 to complete their trip (and those riders can also hop on one of those buses back to PBP and have a better shot at catching the Bx12)