BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Does anyone know what schedule the MTA runs the day after Christmas?

Sunday service, therefore this year there will be double Sunday service.

Around here, both DDOT and SMART will run regular weekday on 26 December.  Only routes I see any lower volumes on are going to be commuter ones, but even those will still see some decent ridership because of people wanting to take Friday before New Year's off.

It's going to be a decent travel day anyways, so I think MTA should run at least Saturday schedules.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm becoming quite concerned at the rate in which eastbound Bx12 SBS buses are being short-turned at Pelham Bay. In the past I would see at most one bus in an extreme bunching scenario get turned around but these days they're not afraid to end multiple trips within the same hour at PBP and keep them moving, if that even. I've seen some buses terminate there and just go out of service while the driver chills around. 

There's this dispatcher at the Inwood end that loves doing that shit in the afternoon. Every bus you see pulling in he'll tell them to do something whenever there's problems.

"Deadhead to Fordham Plaza.

Turn at Pelham Bay.

Deadhead to University.

Turn at Pelham Bay.

Deadhead to Valentine.

Deadhead to Sedgwick.

Turn at Pelham Bay."

There's also the ones at the Bustrek bunker controlling the Bay Plaza end:

"Deadhead to Pelham Bay.

Deadhead to Edson."

Sunday service, therefore this year there will be double Sunday service.

We'll I guess I'll stay in on the 26th. Does the same apply to January 2nd this year?

Screens are on the 44 now. 5265 and 5903 have it, and the announcements aren't in yet but the signs with the ads and GPS are working. 

5265 had working announcements, on the outside at least. 

We'll I guess I'll stay in on the 26th. Does the same apply to January 2nd this year?

5265 had working announcements, on the outside at least. 

The announcement system is glitchy. I managed to get 5903 (again) on the way back home, and the announcements just suddenly stopped working. Don't know what's up. I have a recording of it though, I'll probably post it. 

I for one as an operator do not understand why the Maintenance division has so much control and say over what kinds of buses that the operator drives. 

RTS is the one bus that the majority of operators try to avoid. 

Although bus fans love it, we have to drive in uncomfortable positions, oddly shaped dangerous mirrors, rear loading wheelchair lifts, sometimes very poor defrosting fans, not to mention poor loading with passengers and most of those RTS' cannot kneel with a heavy load. 

You will be stuck. 

For all of those reasons mentioned, I find in inexplicable that the Maintenance dept turns away buses that benefit operators who have to drive them for 8 hours. 

The most they do is test drive them .

I for one as an operator do not understand why the Maintenance division has so much control and say over what kinds of buses that the operator drives. 

Although bus fans love it, we have to drive in uncomfortable positions, oddly shaped dangerous mirrors, rear loading wheelchair lifts, sometimes very poor defrosting fans, not to mention poor loading with passengers and most of those RTS' cannot kneel with a heavy load. 

You will be stuck. 

For all of those reasons mentioned, I find in inexplicable that the Maintenance dept turns away buses that benefit operators who have to drive them for 8 hours. 

Valid point 

You will be stuck. 

MHM... Especially the Operator Compartment area.. Very tight and less leg room. I notice the Nova's driver compartment is not to spacey as well.

We need to start a new movement of bringing high floor buses back to the MTA. Make them a new trend again. Make the MTA Great Again

Don't be ridiculous.  High floor buses make boarding A LOT slower given all of the elderly and disabled people that ride. Bad idea all around.  What exactly would be gained anyway?

You will be stuck. 

Not to mention terrible wheelchair lifts that take FOREVER to get people on and off OR better yet don't work/break down... I think if Cuomo has his way those buses may leave sooner than the (MTA) may like.  He seems to be all for modernizing the fleet and making the commutes of passengers (and operators) more comfortable.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

You will be stuck.

Maintenance has no control over what buses go where. Where buses are placed is more of a logistical decision. The bosses take into account how many different types of buses are at a specific depot, do the new buses share common parts with the buses currently at the depot, is there anything specific that maintenance personal need to be trained on before the buses arrive, and several other factors. The only people that have a direct say in which buses come to their depots are the bosses at Quill and ENY. Other than that, the MTA will make their decision based on several factors that can effect the safe and reliable operation of the buses in passenger service.

Maintenance has no control over what buses go where. Where buses are placed is more of a logistical decision. The bosses take into account how many different types of buses are at a specific depot, do the new buses share common parts with the buses currently at the depot, is there anything specific that maintenance personal need to be trained on before the buses arrive, and several other factors. The only people that have a direct say in which buses come to their depots are the bosses at Quill and ENY. Other than that, the MTA will make their decision based on several factors that can effect the safe and reliable operation of the buses in passenger service.

I don't understand why they have so much pull anyway?  I mean what makes Quill and ENY so special from any other depot?  I think that whole policy should change.  Seems like ENY in particular gets whatever it wants and complains constantly about their fleet like spoiled brats, while other depots deal with hand-me-downs and make it work.

Don't be ridiculous.  High floor buses make boarding A LOT slower given all of the elderly and disabled people that ride. Bad idea all around.  What exactly would be gained anyway?

People are more likely to move to the back because there's no additional steps, so it lets you fit more people onto the bus. In areas like Staten Island where the elderly/disabled don't make up a large percentage of riders, that benefits of that tend to outweigh the benefits of quicker boarding. 

People are more likely to move to the back because there's no additional steps, so it lets you fit more people onto the bus. In areas like Staten Island where the elderly/disabled don't make up a large percentage of riders, that benefits of that tend to outweigh the benefits of quicker boarding. 

Given the way that the (MTA) moves around buses, it makes sense to use low floor buses all around.  Not only that but wheelchairs are A LOT easier to pick up with the ramp.  The only thing that the (MTA) should do is re-configure the back of the buses to make them more conducive to people that want or need to stand back there.  

This modernizing of the fleet doesnt make the buses more comfortable to ride. In fact, these low floors are not as roomy, and they have terrible suspensions. Also sucks the fun and enjoyment out of riding a New York City bus

I can agree on that but I think that's a result of shoddy construction.  I must admit that you feel EVERY bump on those buses.

Low floor buses also dont have a unique sound to them

That's more to do with the engine than the bus itself, the Orion CNGs at JG & WF have a very unique sound IMO. The old C40s did as well. Matter of fact the green sign Orion CNGs and old C40s sound nothing alike every though they have the exact same power train. 

That's more to do with the engine than the bus itself, the Orion CNGs at JG & WF have a very unique sound IMO. The old C40s did as well. Matter of fact the green sign Orion CNGs and old C40s sound nothing alike every though they have the exact same power train. 

Not quite. The Orion VIIs have the Series 50G EGR and the C40s had a regular Series 50