BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Where exactly does the B35 originate in Brownsville?

The map says that it originates/terminates at Hegeman Avenue and Mother Gaston Boulevard. However, the bus timetable shows Rockaway Avenue as the terminal (and also suggests that buses loop at Mother Gaston and back to Rockaway and originate there). There's more time built in the schedule between Church Avenue/Kings Highway and Rockaway Avenue going towards Brownsville (15-16 minutes compared to 10-12 minutes going to Sunset Park). 

I know the B35's go out to Mother Gaston from Sunset Park, but do they pickup from Mother Gaston Boulevard going to Sunset Park, or do I have to go to Rockaway Avenue to catch it.

Thinking this is possibly a VERY recent change, I see this post & immediately went to the timetable to check the date on it - I see that it reads September 4th....

I've taken the B35 from M. Gaston (after having walked from the (L)) since then, and absolutely none of it is the case.

EB buses are not looping at M. Gaston to terminate at Rockaway av, back west...

Rockaway av, in no way, shape, or form, is a passenger terminal on the B35....

The first pickup stop and the last dropoff stop is at Hegeman/Mother Gaston.

Edited by B35 via Church

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that that's the reason, it just sucks that I essentially have to hoof it from the Q27 to Northern if I want to go anywhere, particularly in the winter.

It's a shame that the subways only got as far as Flushing and Jamaica. You wouldn't even need to extend the subways very far to eliminate most of the Flushing and Jamaica backtracking; to Broadway LIRR on the (7), Springfield/Hillside on the (F), and Farmers on the (E) would be enough to eliminate most backtracking IMO.

It's a shame cause Queens is a subway desert for being the biggest boro. There are only two major lines that even serve Queens (Queens Blvd & Flushing) So it kinda makes sense that most of the bus service would short turn in order to serve the subway. 

Anyone know why the Bx41 is running on 3 Avenue south of 161 Street? 

I was on the Bx15 last month, and saw an SBS on 3 Avenue, and thought it was a snow delay. However, I took the Bx41 SBS last week, and the bus went on 161 Street, and turned onto 3 Avenue. All local and SBS buses are running on 3 Avenue, and there's machines there on 3 Avenue for the SBS. 

Jeez, who thought this was a good idea?  <_<

Have you also seen the SBS mess in Peter Cooper Village as well?

They should have colored the M55 light green (like the M50) as it provides some sort of contrast amongst the other colors as well.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

Anyone know why the Bx41 is running on 3 Avenue south of 161 Street? 

I was on the Bx15 last month, and saw an SBS on 3 Avenue, and thought it was a snow delay. However, I took the Bx41 SBS last week, and the bus went on 161 Street, and turned onto 3 Avenue. All local and SBS buses are running on 3 Avenue, and there's machines there on 3 Avenue for the SBS. 

It's been like that for a while now (over a year now). Seems to be due to construction... Annoying as hell if you need the subway.... Luckily Metro-North is running more frequently so I'll be using that when I need to be near Boricua College.

Have you also seen the SBS mess in Peter Cooper Village as well?

They should have colored the M55 light green (like the M50) as it provides some sort of contrast amongst the other colors as well.

That light green apparently is still *reserved* for crosstown routes....

....as far as the SBS depiction on these bus maps, it'll come to a point where they'll use the differing colors for SBS routes - just like crosstown routes ceased being only [light green or blue] when the M15 SBS was first depicted on the map:

- The M8 went from blue to skyblue

- The M14 stayed light green

- The M16 (before it became the M34a) was light green

- The M21 went from blue to orange

- The M22 went from blue to skyblue

- The M23 went from light green to skyblue (before it became SBS)

- The M34 went from blue to, purple IINM (again, before it became SBS)

- The M42 went from blue to red

- The M50 stayed light green

- The M57 went from blue to skyblue

- The M66 went from light green to orange

- The M72 went from blue to light green

- The M79 went from light green to red

- The M86 went from blue to orange IINM (yet again, before it became SBS)

- The M96, 106, and 116 all stayed light green

Can Manhattanville have Artics? Also what's with the whole situation between RTS's and Manhattanville depot?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I've seen 2 artics parked up at Manhattanville in the past. However, I think they can't have artic ops. They have a similar situation like East New York and most recently Flatbush with clearance issues. Also, where do you assign artics on the crosstown lines along Madison Avenue.

I don't like idea of Madison Avenue and 5th Avenue for artics.

Well Manhattanville needs artics because the 96 route is always packed on school days trust me I know people are always pushing and complaining so that's why I'm saying why can't Manhattanville have artics

I've seen 2 artics parked up at Manhattanville in the past. However, I think they can't have artic ops. They have a similar situation like East New York and most recently Flatbush with clearance issues. Also, where do you assign artics on the crosstown lines along Madison Avenue.

Well Manhattanville needs artics because the 96 route is always packed on school days trust me I know people are always pushing and complaining so that's why I'm saying why can't Manhattanville have artics

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app Well Manhattanville needs artics because the 96 route is always packed on school days trust me I know people are always pushing and complaining so that's why I'm saying why can't Manhattanville have artics

The 96 is horrendous. I would use the M86. Better headways and more space since they use artics.

Can Manhattanville have Artics? Also what's with the whole situation between RTS's and Manhattanville depot?

I don't know for certain if they can't, but I have a theory as to why they don't have artics currently. The routes they do don't carry as heavily as TA, MJQ, Hale, and the Bronx garage routes, especially at all times. Now if a route like the M104 (just using this one for example) saw a huge spike in ridership similar to say, the Q113/114's, then the TA might shift some there from either Manhattan or the Bronx if the circumstances warrant it. Another reason is the lack of hybrid artics. If you were to send an XD60 to MHV for repairs, the mechanics may not have the necessary tools or experience to repair it.

Edited by DaTransitMan4608

I don't know for certain if they can't, but I have a theory as to why they don't have artics currently. The routes they do don't carry as heavily as TA, MJQ, Hale, and the Bronx garage routes, especially at all times. Now if a route like the M104 (just using this one for example) saw a huge spike in ridership similar to say, the Q113/114's, then the TA might shift some there from either Manhattan or the Bronx if the circumstances warrant it. Another reason is the lack of hybrid artics. If you were to send an XD60 to MHV for repairs, the mechanics may not have the necessary tools or experience to repair it.

Oh ok but hold on Manhattanville can't repair an artic if it were to go there? Also what can Manhattanville handle other than hybrids?

I do. Those 40 footers simply don't cut it at times.

I do. Those 40 footers simply don't cut it at times.

I commuted on Manhattanville routes for a decade. The 40-footers, with the exception of the M96, M60, and M101 when the depot had them, have pretty much always cut it. I can't think of any MHV route other than the M96 that needs artics now.

Edited by MHV9218