BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Laughable.. Just send M96 / M106 to Tuskegee Airmen Depot... Tuskegee Airmen Depot can put articulated bus on M96 / M106.. Being funny. Why Manhattanville Depot can't handle articulated .. Who know the answer. . Why will Manhattanville Depot put articulated bus around the 5th avenue Line. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Laughable.. Just send M96 / M106 to Tuskegee Airmen Depot... Tuskegee Airmen Depot can put articulated bus on M96 / M106.. Being funny. Why Manhattanville Depot can't handle articulated .. Who know the answer. . Why will Manhattanville Depot put articulated bus around the 5th avenue Line.

Well since Manhattanville's routes all go to downtown and there's a lot of riders that go inside the bus so that's why articulated buses are needed in those routes.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Well since Manhattanville's routes all go to downtown and there's a lot of riders that go inside the bus so that's why articulated buses are needed in those routes.

If they can't fit the artics inside the building, there is no way they will run artics there unless the routes themselves move to a artic depot or the depot is modified for artics.

How can Manhattanville be modified to get artics?

If they can't fit the artics inside the building, there is no way they will run artics there unless the routes themselves move to a artic depot or the depot is modified for artics.

What do you think Manhattanville should do in terms of buses

The M96 is the only one that comes to mind, but not full time.  Definitely rush hours and weekends.

I commuted on Manhattanville routes for a decade. The 40-footers, with the exception of the M96, M60, and M101 when the depot had them, have pretty much always cut it. I can't think of any MHV route other than the M96 that needs artics now.

Well with ridership dipping the way that it has been, the Madison/5th Avenue lines are also feeling it, but definitely during the rush, I can recall buses being quite crowded, but that's likely due to traffic and long gaps in service. I will say that those lines aren't as crowded as they used to be for that reason, but before putting any artics on any line, the (MTA) first needs to address reliability along the corridor.  Looking at the (MTA) figures, the M1, M2, M3 and M4 have all lost either over a million riders or close to that when you look at the last five years, so if we look at service now, they may not need them except for parts of the rush since some folks I'm sure have switched to other alternatives.  

The M96 is the only one that comes to mind, but not full time. Definitely rush hours and weekends.

Well with ridership dipping the way that it has been, the Madison/5th Avenue lines are also feeling it, but definitely during the rush, I can recall buses being quite crowded, but that's likely due to traffic and long gaps in service. I will say that those lines aren't as crowded as they used to be for that reason, but before putting any artics on any line, the (MTA) first needs to address reliability along the corridor. Looking at the (MTA) figures, the M1, M2, M3 and M4 have all lost either over a million riders or close to that when you look at the last five years, so if we look at service now, they may not need them except for parts of the rush since some folks I'm sure have switched to other alternatives.

Well I think Manhattanville should send more buses on their line because sometimes people wait so long just for an M2,M3,or M4 to show up and not to mention the M5 as well.

Well I think Manhattanville should send more buses on their line because sometimes people wait so long just for an M2,M3,or M4 to show up and not to mention the M5 as well.

That's why it would be good to have artics, because the real issue is the headways stink and buses bunch too much.  It's bad enough to have long waits, but then to get on a bus that is insanely packed makes things even worse.  The buses at night from around 17:00 - 20:00 along Madison could definitely use artics.  They become quite crowded by the time they reach 50th and 57th.  

That's why it would be good to have artics, because the real issue is the headways stink and buses bunch too much. It's bad enough to have long waits, but then to get on a bus that is insanely packed makes things even worse. The buses at night from around 17:00 - 20:00 along Madison could definitely use artics. They become quite crowded by the time they reach 50th and 57th.

Yea exactly. But Manhattanville is apparently not capable of handling artics.

Manhattan vile (like the majority of other depots) were built at a time where articulated buses were a mere pipe dream. In order for it to be artic ready, the maintenance bay areas would have to be reconfigured to have room for the longer buses, along with having the proper lifts. Parking would also have to be changed since those buses take up more room, and there would be less space available.

Pretty sure you were banned before...

Manhattan vile (like the majority of other depots) were built at a time where articulated buses were a mere pipe dream. In order for it to be artic ready, the maintenance bay areas would have to be reconfigured to have room for the longer buses, along with having the proper lifts. Parking would also have to be changed since those buses take up more room, and there would be less space available.

Pretty sure you were banned before...

Oh interesting. As we look at the MTA now I don't think that will ever be possible.

It's not just about sending buses out. They have to be stationed in the right areas. You could double the frequency of all those lines, but if there's a huge traffic jam, none of those buses are getting through. Maybe have a couple of "gap buses" stationed at streets like 42nd Street, 59th Street, etc (and maybe a couple uptown by 110th Street in case an individual route had a severe delay). 

It's not just about sending buses out. They have to be stationed in the right areas. You could double the frequency of all those lines, but if there's a huge traffic jam, none of those buses are getting through. Maybe have a couple of "gap buses" stationed at streets like 42nd Street, 59th Street, etc (and maybe a couple uptown by 110th Street in case an individual route had a severe delay).

They're not going to do that.  What they will do and seem to want to do more of is cut service south of 42nd street, which drives me nuts.  They are literally trying to force the subway down people's throats that need or want bus service further south.  It's really annoying to say the least. A similar thing happens along Lexington and the short turns are even more random.  They have no problem having you ride a bus below 34th street and then suddenly radio to the driver to have the last stop be 23rd street.  It's one reason I'm not shocked at their M5/M55 proposal.  They seem to be under the impression that there are two segments that they are serving, or they're trying to make it that way by cutting service to 42nd, and having less service south of that.  For example, getting to 23rd street will now be more of a chore than ever.  The only half decent bus even with its bunching often times was the M5, and now you'll to transfer to get further south.  The M2 runs like crap which then forces you to the M1 and M3, and those two aren't much better.  There's the M4 but that runs to Penn Station.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

They're not going to do that. What they will do and seem to want to do more of is cut service south of 42nd street, which drives me nuts. They are literally trying to force the subway down people's throats that need or want bus service further south. It's really annoying to say the least. A similar thing happens along Lexington and the short turns are even more random. They have no problem having you ride a bus below 34th street and then suddenly radio to the driver to have the last stop be 23rd street. It's one reason I'm not shocked at their M5/M55 proposal. They seem to be under the impression that there are two segments that they are serving, or they're trying to make it that way by cutting service to 42nd, and having less service south of that. For example, getting to 23rd street will now be more of a chore than ever. The only half decent bus even with its bunching often times was the M5, and now you'll to transfer to get further south. The M2 runs like crap which then forces you to the M1 and M3, and those two aren't much better. There's the M4 but that runs to Penn Station.

All these buses need improvement and I don't think the MTA sees that.

Well 40 footers don't work if there's always traffic jams in some places because In the downtown area there's usually a lot of people and these bus routes get crowded and some buses might even skip the stop if they can't let people in because is full so I'm just saying Manhattanville should get some XD60 so it can help pick up more passengers and bring more reliable services in these areas.

All these buses need improvement and I don't think the MTA sees that.

Well 40 footers don't work if there's always traffic jams in some places because In the downtown area there's usually a lot of people and these bus routes get crowded and some buses might even skip the stop if they can't let people in because is full so I'm just saying Manhattanville should get some XD60 so it can help pick up more passengers and bring more reliable services in these areas.

What they've clearly decided to do is "restructure" all of those buses by cutting them to the bare bones.  The M1 quite frankly probably runs the worse in terms of how they come and the gaps, but the M2 isn't much better.  They have really destroyed service along the corridor instead of trying to address service issues and the result has been a severe decrease in ridership outside of rush hour.  

What they've clearly decided to do is "restructure" all of those buses by cutting them to the bare bones. The M1 quite frankly probably runs the worse in terms of how they come and the gaps, but the M2 isn't much better. They have really destroyed service along the corridor instead of trying to address service issues and the result has been a severe decrease in ridership outside of rush hour.

That's true but rush hour is just a mess someone has to do something about that.

That's true but rush hour is just a mess someone has to do something about that.

That and the incredibly slow drivers purposely hitting lights.  I mean seriously are the run times that bad?  The only time service runs quickly is late nights on weekends, otherwise it usually stinks.

That and the incredibly slow drivers purposely hitting lights. I mean seriously are the run times that bad? The only time service runs quickly is late nights on weekends, otherwise it usually stinks.

Yeah. I also sometimes here people complain about Manhattanville what's wrong with that depot? Can anyone fill me in on that situation?

Yeah. I also sometimes here people complain about Manhattanville what's wrong with that depot? Can anyone fill me in on that situation?

Every other Manhattanville bus going down 5th or Madison would always and without fail have a "NEXT BUS PLEASE" sign on it. In fact, that's Manhattanville's nickname: The "NEXT BUS PLEASE" depot.

I don't think any Manhattan routes besides the ones that currently have artics need them. Beside, the M103 should lose artics as far as i'm concerned.

Well I always see MCH helping Tuskegee Airmen in the morning on the M101 or M103 sometimes but don't know why.

I don't think any Manhattan routes besides the ones that currently have artics need them. Beside, the M103 should lose artics as far as i'm concerned.

I think either the M102 or M103 should go to MCH. In fact the M102 stops in front of MCH. Swap that with the M15 and make 100th Street full time SBS/Local.