BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Well other than waiting for traffic to go through the m66 can take an alternative route so it can get to the stops faster and Ohh ok. Quill has a lot of say as to which routes it wants why is that?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Alternate route to get to stops faster? Like where?

You do understand that the M66 runs along 66th & 67th Street on the East Side, and 65th & 66th Streets on the West Side.....and most of the stops are within those streets.

What exactly is the problem with the M66 anyway?  I only use it on weekends when I do use it to get from the Upper West to the Upper East Side, and it does okay, though the waits aren't the greatest at times.

That's what I'd like to know....the M66/M72 are a part of my delivery routes at times, and they seem to be okay. They both get caught in traffic on the transverse, but it's never usually catastrophically bad compared to other routes.

Edited by Cait Sith

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I'd like to know....the M66/M72 are a part of my delivery routes at times, and they seem to be okay. They both get caught in traffic on the transverse, but it's never usually catastrophically bad compared to other routes.

lol... The M72 on the other hand is atrocious.  I avoid that route at all costs.  I worked briefly on the Upper West Side years ago and found myself having to use it here and there to get back to the office from visiting job sites, etc.  Was horrible.  

They're basically trying to get folks to use the subway. Simple as that.  

I guess they are. 

At this point though, it would be much better to just make the entire M5 a local at all times, because stops at 58 and 56 Street were added southbound, and 66 Street is now a stop in both directions (it used to be a NB only stop). It makes every stop in the area around Columbus Circle (however, 61 Street is now a NB only LTD stop). At this point, it'll only be a limited for 6-7 blocks in Midtown, the section before getting to Riverside on the Upper West Side, and in Manhattanville. The route only skips 10 stops at this point. I'd rather have it make all stops instead. It's a relatively fast ride from Manhattanville to Columbus Circle anyway (for those trying to get to the subway).

If loads get imbalanced in Manhattanville between the M4 and the M5 at that point, have all the M4's in the peak direction operate limited (which doesn't make as many stops as the M5 LTD in Manhattanville).

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

Alternate route to get to stops faster? Like where?

You do understand that the M66 runs along 66th & 67th Street on the East Side, and 65th & 66th Streets on the West Side.....and most of the stops are within those streets.

Yea I know that but what got me thinking just now is why doesn't it become an SBS route that might work.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I guess they are. 

At this point though, it would be much better to just make the entire M5 a local at all times, because stops at 58 and 56 Street were added southbound, and 66 Street is now a stop in both directions (it used to be a NB only stop). It makes every stop in the area around Columbus Circle (however, 61 Street is now a NB only LTD stop). At this point, it'll only be a limited for 6-7 blocks in Midtown, the section before getting to Riverside on the Upper West Side, and in Manhattanville. The route only skips 10 stops at this point. I'd rather have it make all stops instead. It's a relatively fast ride from Manhattanville to Columbus Circle anyway (for those trying to get to the subway).

If loads get imbalanced in Manhattanville between the M4 and the M5 at that point, have all the M4's in the peak direction operate limited.

I think the whole thing stinks and I have basically stopped using the M5. I don't shop in certain areas any more on the West Side unless I'm getting on the BxM2 back to Riverdale afterwards.

Actually, so did I....

it's funny because a lot of these new local lines run with the same frequencies of an express bus.  The only difference is a bus here or there, but when you have local buses running with similar frequencies to that of a commuter bus, that tells you something about where local bus service is in this city and what the (MTA) thinks about service overall. With BusTime, they are trying to aim to run buses like subways, so if you use BusTime, perhaps the waits don't feel as bad.  I needed the M1 the other night.  The bus was running on 20 minute headways but was okay since I was able to catch my bus and not wait long.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

it's funny because a lot of these new local lines run with the same frequencies of an express bus.  The only difference is a bus here or there, but when you have local buses running with similar frequencies to that of a commuter bus, that tells you something about where local bus service is in this city and what the (MTA) thinks about service overall.

And that, my good sir, is quite unfortunate. Its not that people don't want to use buses, its more like we can't rely on them, so they find other means.

Wasn't the M5 a Quill route in the past? I swear I got on an artic on the M5 once about year or two ago. It might have been a rush hour supplement/school tripper or something because it only ran from South Ferry to 14th Street.

Do you guys think they'll interline an artic or two from the local M15 onto the M55?

Wasn't the M5 a Quill route in the past? I swear I got on an artic on the M5 once about year or two ago. It might have been a rush hour supplement/school tripper or something because it only ran from South Ferry to 14th Street.

Do you guys think they'll interline an artic or two from the local M15 onto the M55?

I remember what you're talking about. I think those were just extra runs or supplements, but the M5 has always run out of MV.

I remember what you're talking about. I think those were just extra runs or supplements, but the M5 has always run out of MV.

Yeah, Quill ran precious few extras a few summers back on the M5. Had to do with the (1). I think I have a photo of an LFSA M5 somewhere, definitely a few RTS M5s. One of an LFSA M5 signed as an M20, too. Shane got video, I believe. 

How?

Maybe he's thinking the B/Os will drag the line moreso than other depots.

It takes express buses about 20 minutes from say 23rd or 14th street down to Battery Park City, so I don't know how they came up with such a schedule for local buses.  Just insane.  They obviously don't expect many people to ride.

They're basically trying to get folks to use the subway. Simple as that.  

All I have to say is I expected this type of schedule.  Bare bones service.  

Yeah, the M5 schedule now has it in the 40-50 minute range for most of the day, which seems more realistic for a typical trip. 

Bare bones would be the basic 30 minute headways you see on the M12. I was thinking something along the lines of the M20, which is a step above basic headways. 

But yeah, the M6 used to run every 10-12 minutes the whole day (with the M1 helping out along Broadway as well). 

I guess they are. 

If loads get imbalanced in Manhattanville between the M4 and the M5 at that point, have all the M4's in the peak direction operate limited (which doesn't make as many stops as the M5 LTD in Manhattanville).

The M4 vs. M5 stops in Hamilton Heights (Manhattanville is south of 135th Street) can be changed. I haven't had much of a reason to use the M5 at my time at CCNY (though I have used the M4 a few times to get up there from Madison Avenue), so I can't say much for the usage of the 140th & 152nd Street stops, but if that's an issue, you can just drop them from the M5.

I would personally rather have it bypass 61st Street completely, bypass 56th Street (but stop at 58th Street), and then just stop at 50th, 42nd, 34th, and then the terminal at 31st & 6th. There's enough local buses along both 5th & 6th to make up for those few local stops.

MJQ is a depot that runs with heavy traffic and it still finds a way to get the passengers on time so for the M66 and M55 that is coming out i think it's good that they send it to Quill depot.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

Made this completely fictional Orion VII roster for fun about 3 months ago, never got around to posting it. In this situation, the MTA buys the Orion VII buses from the PA, Bee-Line, Academy, and Roosevelt Island to retire the 1996 RTS. One can fantasize. :)

MTA Orion VII Diesel

3563                1          MTA Bus

6970-69991     30        NYCT Transit (GA)

7000-7089       90        NYCT Transit

MTA Orion VII HEV

3500-3562       63        MTA Bus

3564-3783       220      MTA Bus

3784-37872     4          MTA Bus (JFK/FR)

3788-37913     4          MTA Bus (JFK/FR)

6365-6489       125      NYCT Transit

6490-6905       416      NYCT Transit

6906-69194     14        NYCT Transit (MQ)

6950-69565     7          NYCT Transit (GAàB32, B39)

MTA Orion VII NG HEV

3800-4278       479      MTA Bus; NYCT Transit

4279-42986     20        MTA Bus (LGA)

42997               1          MTA Bus (JFK/FR)

4330-4702       373      MTA Bus; NYCT Transit

4703-47048     2          MTA Bus (JFK/FR)

4705-47069     2          MTA Bus (JFK/FR)

MTA Orion VII CNG

7560-7684       125      NYCT Transit

7685-7819       135      NYCT Transit

1 PANYNJ #4977-4979; #4987-5000; #731-743       30        Orion 7.501

2 Bee-Line #200-203                                                  4          Orion 7.501 HEV

3 RIOC #1-4                                                                4          Orion 7.501 HEV

4 PANYNJ #721-727; #4980-4986                             14        Orion 7.501 HEV

5 PANYNJ #701-707                                                  7          Orion 7.502 HEV

6 PANYNJ #744-763                                                  20        Orion 7.501 NG HEV

7 RIOC #7                                                                   1          Orion 7.501 NG HEV

8 RIOC #5-6                                                                2          Orion 7.501 NG HEV

9 Academy #2190-2191                                              2          Orion 7.501 NG HEV

Total                           2195

MTA                           2111

Diesel              121

CNG                260

Hybrid             1730

Acquisitions                84

Academy         2

Bee-Line         4

PANYNJ         71

RIOC               7

Edited by GojiMet86

Is this^ true?

Made this completely fictional Orion VII roster for fun about 3 months ago, never got around to posting it. In this situation, the MTA buys the Orion VII buses from the PA, Bee-Line, Academy, and Roosevelt Island to retire the 1996 RTS. One can fantasize. :)