BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gun Hill has more SBS wrapped LFSAs and I still manage to get an XD60 on the Bx12 SBS.

It's not a bad thing however, since I like the Xcelsiors better. Plus the doors open outward, which helps considerably when the buses reach sardine status (which can happen at any time after about 5:45 am)

For some dumb reason, they've unwrapped 5770.

1280-1282 have been unwrapped, rightfully so. Those buses need a break from SBS service.

You know, it would be a nice feature if Bustime could link with Google Maps. When you search for a route, you know where it shows the color of the route with the stop dots on the left side of the mobile app? Along that line, in between the dots(the stops) it would show red, yellow, or green in terms of traffic on the streets between those stops. I'm tired of people complaining about buses being late not knowing about traffic, etc.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

You know, it would be a nice feature if Bustime could link with Google Maps. When you search for a route, you know where it shows the color of the route with the stop dots on the left side of the mobile app? Along that line, in between the dots(the stops) it would show red, yellow, or green in terms of traffic on the streets between those stops. I'm tired of people complaining about buses being late not knowing about traffic, etc.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

It'd be nice, but that's Google's perogative, not MTA's. Doesn't Transit offer something like this?

Maybe someone could go film eastchester scrap yard. Considering gun hill still has 1023 and 1027, did their maintenance improve?

Sent from my iPad using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Gun Hill's maintenance is mediocre at best, and their cleaners are apparently nonexistent. Their 2003 artics look ready to go now, let alone 1023 and 1027.

They probably don't run those two buses in everyday service.

So NYCDOT added a "Drop Off Only" sign on the stop at Queens Boulevard & Woodhaven Boulevard in green color (for express buses). Is there something that is going on that I'm not aware of? The only thing I can think of is the QM10/QM12 and its variants (except the QM11), and the QM18 being rerouted via Queens Boulevard instead of via the LIE.

The one on Woodhaven southbound right before the entrance ramp? I got a QM11 there Monday morning, and a QM40 almost stopped for me but I waved it off. Though TBH I didnt look for the sign.

It would be silly to reroute them via Queens Blvd in the morning bc the LIE has the bus lane in the morning. In the evening maybe it would make sense for the QM10/12/40/42 since they come off the bridge but definitely not the 11 since it comes from downtown

I saw a QM11 on Queens Boulevard near Grand Avenue earlier. First off, what is going on that makes them take Queens Boulevard, and what route do they take to get to Queens Boulevard?

Was this in the evening or morning?

Edited by RestrictOnTheHanger

The one on Woodhaven southbound right before the entrance ramp? I got a QM11 there Monday morning, and a QM40 almost stopped for me but I waved it off. Though TBH I didnt look for the sign.

It would be silly to reroute them via Queens Blvd in the morning bc the LIE has the bus lane in the morning. In the evening maybe it would make sense for the QM10/12/40/42 since they come off the bridge but definitely not the 11 since it comes from downtown

Was this in the evening or morning?

This would be for the evening not the morning nor would the QM11 be affected if this happened as all downtown buses take the LIE.

1. The one on Woodhaven southbound right before the entrance ramp? I got a QM11 there Monday morning, and a QM40 almost stopped for me but I waved it off. Though TBH I didnt look for the sign.

2. Was this in the evening or morning?

1. The stop is on the south side of Queens Boulevard, at Woodhaven Boulevard (where the Q60 to South Jamaica and the Q59 to Rego Park stop). The one you're talking about is on Woodhaven Boulevard, at Hoffman Drive. 

2. This was in the evening.

What do you mean? It's been a mix like most of the Quill routes. No RTSes yesterday, not uncommon on a weekend.

Someone else in the M5/M55 split thread professed to seeing a ton of RTS' on the route.... The irony is, I have yet to see one.

While waiting for the express over on Battery yesterday, I saw 3 M55's in a 20 min span (two of which were heading northward) - all 3 of them were O7's..... The only RTS' I even saw were those doing the (1) shuttle to/from Chambers......

Edited by B35 via Church

Someone else in the M5/M55 split thread professed to seeing a ton of RTS' on the route.... The irony is, I have yet to see one.

While waiting for the express over on Battery yesterday, I saw 3 M55's in a 20 min span (two of which were heading northward) - all 3 of them were O7's..... The only RTS' I even saw were those doing the (1) shuttle to/from Chambers......

Same here. In fact I've only seen hybrids on both lines.  I took the M5 earlier today.  Not a terrible load, but nothing shocking either.  Looked like what the old M5 carried in Midtown.  What is alarming to me is how few New Yorkers you see on the buses these days.  Just about 90% of the people that were on the bus or boarded were tourists.

Same here. In fact I've only seen hybrids on both lines.  I took the M5 earlier today.  Not a terrible load, but nothing shocking either.  Looked like what the old M5 carried in Midtown.  What is alarming to me is how few New Yorkers you see on the buses these days.  Just about 90% of the people that were on the bus or boarded were tourists.

The M5 won't have RTSes since they don't have that bus model in Manhattanville.

I think today a lot of the lines are slow in the ridership department, since it's cold and it's the Sunday before a Monday holiday, which implies that people either went out of town for the weekend or are waiting until tomorrow or next weekend to go out on the city bus. I was on the Bx12 SBS today and both buses I was on only had about 50 people at most, while Bay Plaza itself wasn't terribly crowded (more people shop Saturdays usually.)

As far as overall ridership goes, maybe they can trim some service in Manhattan and perhaps give some more service to the outer boroughs, where the buses are bursting at the seams a lot of the time.

I think today a lot of the lines are slow in the ridership department, since it's cold and it's the Sunday before a Monday holiday, which implies that people either went out of town for the weekend or are waiting until tomorrow or next weekend to go out on the city bus. I was on the Bx12 SBS today and both buses I was on only had about 50 people at most, while Bay Plaza itself wasn't terribly crowded (more people shop Saturdays usually.)

As far as overall ridership goes, maybe they can trim some service in Manhattan and perhaps give some more service to the outer boroughs, where the buses are bursting at the seams a lot of the time.

LOL... Manhattan isn't all that rosy either.  There are quite a few lines that could use more buses, OR artics during parts of the day.  You're right though, a lot of local bus lines outside of Manhattan could use more service.  

That has been their philosophy in Manhattan, and it's an unmitigated failure. Headways are so long that ridership drops, so headways are increased, and ridership drops further. A brand new route like the M55 only has a bus every 15 minutes at its absolute peak. The peak M12 is every 24 minutes, and nearly every run is every 30 minutes. They cannot do much worse for Manhattan service. 

That has been their philosophy in Manhattan, and it's an unmitigated failure. Headways are so long that ridership drops, so headways are increased, and ridership drops further. A brand new route like the M55 only has a bus every 15 minutes at its absolute peak. The peak M12 is every 24 minutes, and nearly every run is every 30 minutes. They cannot do much worse for Manhattan service. 

That's been their philosophy city-wide.  The issue is outside of Manhattan, some people simply can't afford cabs and the like.  In Manhattan I see plenty of people that will jump in a cab if a bus isn't there in 5 minutes.  It comes down to economics.  In some areas it's also an issue of topography and a lack of a subway.  There are others who have options and use them.  I use the local bus IF it's around, but I don't need them per se.  I think that's the thing with more people.  They have alternatives and use them.

FWIW, the one M55 trip I took was an RTS. I was actually a little bit surprised when I saw it, but I guess they have to put them somewhere lol

This sentiment behind that sentence is very problematic. In the case of said route, packed buses are so common that 50 people on a bus is looked at as underperforming when it is not. The off-peak loading guidelines called for buses to average a fully seated load at and above a 6 minute headway. For an LFSA a fully seated bus would be 52 people so a 50 passenger bus is almost right on the nose of 100% guideline capacity. Outside of rush hour no one would look at a bus carrying 50 people (artic or not) and say that bus is undercrowded and could use more people. Except, with the Bx12 SBS where buses should be averaging 50 people folks like you and I would make mention of the less than terrible crowding as if it's special. Riders on no route should be that desensitized to overcrowding to where buses carrying fully seated loads on a Sunday are seen as nearly equivalent to empty. I feel part of the MTA's willingness to cut service and the loss of ridership resulting from it stems from a desire to have routes doing so well that the riders are desensitized to crowding. That is a huge problem.