BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

It would be interesting if the BusTime app or BusTracker can be used as a visual to show just how bad service is performing on any given route. You could have one overlay that shows the buses moving at the rate they would if they all followed the schedule to a tee (something like the TRAVIC client someone posted to SubChat) and in the same app an overlay showing the real-time service. Obviously the bus symbols would need to be differentiated between the schedule based feed and the real-time one but having that kind of feature in a tracking app would sure be a wake up call to folks.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be interesting if the BusTime app or BusTracker can be used as a visual to show just how bad service is performing on any given route. You could have one overlay that shows the buses moving at the rate they would if they all followed the schedule to a tee (something like the TRAVIC client someone posted to SubChat) and in the same app an overlay showing the real-time service. Obviously the bus symbols would need to be differentiated between the schedule based feed and the real-time one but having that kind of feature in a tracking app would sure be a wake up call to folks.

Aside from visualizing the disparity between the real-world runtimes and the schedule, no one cares. Someone using Transit or Google Maps wants to know where their bus is now, not where it is hypothetically. If the hypothetical bus doesn't show up for the user of the app, they don't blame the MTA, they think the app is busted and they switch to an app showing the real-time ones only.

The other issue with displaying information like that is that it would be very computationally intensive, for both the app and the MTA. In fact I believe someone had to take down a site displaying every real-time bus in the five boroughs on the same map, because of the amount of data it was requesting every second.

Edited by bobtehpanda

The thing is, what purpose would it serve in practice? Maybe it would let them know to expect extra crowding compared to how the service is normally scheduled, but that's about it. If I see the next bus is 15 minutes away, I want to know "What can I do about it?" (Walk, use an alternate bus line or alternate form of transportation). The fact that there should be a bus coming in 2 minutes according to the schedule doesn't do me any good.

I don't see what's wrong with the apps that we have now.  Whoever is going to track their bus already is and once you use the apps enough, you get a feel for how accurate they are and how to adjust your commute accordingly.  If I know that there isn't a bus for another 20 minutes, I may just jump in a cab or run an errand and then go to the stop so as to mitigate a long wait.  

My app idea wasn't meant with the general commuter in mind. It was meant for the very niche group of folks who would want to play watchdog and put the MTA's feet to the fire regarding the quality of service being provided. Basically, folks like us. I never said that a major tech company should produce such a thing, just some tech-savvy transit watchdog type. With the way the MTA is going, there needs to be a group of studious watchdogs (with all the tools possible) on their case making sure the service provided is up to snuff because lots of times the service is inexcusable. 

So apparently there was an RTS on the M101 earlier this evening. No idea why that was on there...

There still is; 5202 is on the M101 (however only running to 96 Street).

EDIT: As I look at the M103, there's a southbound gap between E. 9 Street and E. 109 Street. There's also 3 buses going close to each other on the UES, couldn't they short-turn one at 42 Street or something.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

Two oddities:

- Artic traveling EB along ENY av (well, it turns into Jamaica at that point)... Couldn't see the logo, as I was already on the B12 as it was making the left turn off Alabama.....

- Bus w/ a Flatbush depot logo on it was parked at the B20 SB bus stop @ Alabama (under the el there).... It was there from the time I got to the B12 stop, to the time I finally got on a bus (about 40 mins, after letting 2 packed ass buses fill up; was not attempting to board them shits)... For all I know, its probably still there....

Two oddities:

- Artic traveling EB along ENY av (well, it turns into Jamaica at that point)... Couldn't see the logo, as I was already on the B12 as it was making the left turn off Alabama.....

- Bus w/ a Flatbush depot logo on it was parked at the B20 SB bus stop @ Alabama (under the el there).... It was there from the time I got to the B12 stop, to the time I finally got on a bus (about 40 mins, after letting 2 packed ass buses fill up; was not attempting to board them shits)... For all I know, its probably still there....

That Flatbush unit could of been one of the earlier B12 school trippers. Those tend to park near that bus stop.

Two oddities:

I do remember seeing 4721 on the RFK yesterday...

There still is; 5202 is on the M101 (however only running to 96 Street).

EDIT: As I look at the M103, there's a southbound gap between E. 9 Street and E. 109 Street. There's also 3 buses going close to each other on the UES, couldn't they short-turn one at 42 Street or something.

One of those southbound buses wasn't on BusTime. Caught me by surprise when I was doing last-minute deliveries last night. I was waiting for an M102 when that showed up.

Who would I go to push for the BusTime countdowns that have been installed at stops along various SBS routes to be installed at a bunch of Bx12 SBS stops? It's a travesty that such a feature was implemented without the busiest route in the city being addressed.

The Bx12 aint the busiest anymore. The B46 took that title.

^Disregard this, looked at the wrong information. My apologies.

Edited by Cait Sith

The Bx12 aint the busiest anymore. The B46 took that title.

Again? Lol....

------------

Anyway, I originally came here to share what happened this past Wednesday... After getting fed up with the (F) (there was some kind of delay at 75th around 5pm that day, that had trains crawling from Sutphin, to 71st - a ride that took a whopping 37 mins), getting off at 21st Queensbridge instead of Church, I went to my backup plan & wanted to take the B32 to the B46.....

Here's the kicker... Whenever I take the B32 towards WBP, I have this habit of always looking to see if there's an oncoming B43 (here is where I should've stuck to my guns & rode the full 32 out instead).... There was an oncoming bus in the distance, so I got off... B43 Lefferts gardens Prospect park sta (or whatever the signage exactly says) right? Nope..... By time I got off the bus & crossed the street to go around the corner to the B43/B62 stop, the signage had changed to Not in Service..... I was livid, and had to suppress the anger I already had, to not ending up getting into a fight w/ some a**hole Lance Armstrong-ing on the sidewalk that almost hit me.... So I walked it out to the (G), and surprise, surprise - a plethora of commuters are walking up the steps as I'm walking down them - meaning, I just missed the train... Great.

So the train arrives, and I shit y'all not - this train was so packed (all 4 cars), that the car that I ended up entering, had a guy's face pressed up against the glass part of the door.... I was going to let that train go if enough people didn't disembark, but luckily, enough from that car did..... Alright, so we get to Broadway.... Walk up the steps to commence the wait for a B46 (for those that don't know, only B46 locals run north of Dekalb now)..... I Waited...

...and waited.... and waited....

Guess what? Nothing showed up in 32 minutes..... Yep, the almighty B46 has no buses heading in any singular direction around 6:30pm for at least a 1/2 hour.... The first time I looked at the schedule on the pole there, a lady then states that she's been "f***ing standing here" (her words) for 15 minutes.... If I take her word for it, that means that there were no SB 46's for about 45 minutes? The f***? And it wasn't like I saw a sea of WBP bound B46's either - From the time I got off the (G) to the time I walked to the Flushing av (well, technically thornton/throop) stop, I only saw 5 buses... After I reached the McDonalds, I turned around to see if infact any SB B46's were in the distance... And, there weren't any.

The best part of the whole (broken) commute was that the B43 was on the right side of Broadway (forget what side street that is)... So I hoofed it (once I saw 3 people already at the stop, there was no need to run) to the stop... and that's all she wrote.

Some of this is my fault, some of it isn't..... After doing what I had to get done whilst in Jamaica:

- Yeah I could've taken the (J) to Alabama for the B12

- Yeah I could've taken the Q24 or Q56, for the same B12

- Yeah I should've stayed on that (F) to Church

- Yeah I could've stayed on that B32 to catch a B46 (armchair QB-ing would have me believing this one wouldn't have made a difference anyway)

- Yeah I could've waited for a B43 (at Manhattan/Freeman) - one that was actually going to Lefferts Gardens....

But I'm not taking responsibility for epic delays on a train.... Not taking responsibility for a b/o miraculously being in service one minute, and then POOF - not in service, the next..... Not taking responsibility for no buses arriving along Broadway in the needed direction in 32 minutes.... Nope..... And now that I say that, it's actually worse than 32 minutes (even if I ignore the lady's 15 minute claim), because there was not one bus in that direction that passed by as I was walking to the B43, nor one in the see-able distance either....

Forgot to mention that in my walk to the B43, I actually considered taking the B48 - made my way to the stop & looked at the posted schedule - noted that the next bus was to arrive 12 mins after the fact... Basically, I was hoping for lightning in a bottle & got carpet burn instead....

In any case, F*** you, MT-lle (pronounced M-T-yay) - for those that know what llello is.

end transmission...

Edited by B35 via Church

Those are ridership figures from 2015. The B46 claimed the top spot last year.

We have no available ridership figures from 2016 to confirm this so until April, my point stands. It would be nice if the MTA got the numbers out earlier or did what CTA does and posted month by month ridership reports. It would be much easier to follow the trends in usage if the reports were posted on a monthly basis.

Given the trends in usage these days I would not expect to see any big differences from 2015 unless some of the high ridership routes losing passengers took big dips again. 

Anyway, I originally came here to share what happened this past Wednesday... After getting fed up with the (F) (there was some kind of delay at 75th around 5pm that day, that had trains crawling from Sutphin, to 71st - a ride that took a whopping 37 mins), getting off at 21st Queensbridge instead of Church, I went to my backup plan & wanted to take the B32 to the B46.....

Here's the kicker... Whenever I take the B32 towards WBP, I have this habit of always looking to see if there's an oncoming B43 (here is where I should've stuck to my guns & rode the full 32 out instead).... There was an oncoming bus in the distance, so I got off... B43 Lefferts gardens Prospect park sta (or whatever the signage exactly says) right? Nope..... By time I got off the bus & crossed the street to go around the corner to the B43/B62 stop, the signage had changed to Not in Service..... I was livid, and had to suppress the anger I already had, to not ending up getting into a fight w/ some a**hole Lance Armstrong-ing on the sidewalk that almost hit me.... So I walked it out to the (G), and surprise, surprise - a plethora of commuters are walking up the steps as I'm walking down them - meaning, I just missed the train... Great.

So the train arrives, and I shit y'all not - this train was so packed (all 4 cars), that the car that I ended up entering, had a guy's face pressed up against the glass part of the door.... I was going to let that train go if enough people didn't disembark, but luckily, enough from that car did..... Alright, so we get to Broadway.... Walk up the steps to commence the wait for a B46 (for those that don't know, only B46 locals run north of Dekalb now)..... I Waited...

...and waited.... and waited....

Guess what? Nothing showed up in 32 minutes..... Yep, the almighty B46 has no buses heading in any singular direction around 6:30pm for at least a 1/2 hour.... The first time I looked at the schedule on the pole there, a lady then states that she's been "f***ing standing here" (her words) for 15 minutes.... If I take her word for it, that means that there were no SB 46's for about 45 minutes? The f***? And it wasn't like I saw a sea of WBP bound B46's either - From the time I got off the (G) to the time I walked to the Flushing av (well, technically thornton/throop) stop, I only saw 5 buses... After I reached the McDonalds, I turned around to see if infact any SB B46's were in the distance... And, there weren't any.

The best part of the whole (broken) commute was that the B43 was on the right side of Broadway (forget what side street that is)... So I hoofed it (once I saw 3 people already at the stop, there was no need to run) to the stop... and that's all she wrote.

Some of this is my fault, some of it isn't..... After doing what I had to get done whilst in Jamaica:

- Yeah I could've taken the (J) to Alabama for the B12

- Yeah I could've taken the Q24 or Q56, for the same B12

- Yeah I should've stayed on that (F) to Church

- Yeah I could've stayed on that B32 to catch a B46 (armchair QB-ing would have me believing this one wouldn't have made a difference anyway)

- Yeah I could've waited for a B43 (at Manhattan/Freeman) - one that was actually going to Lefferts Gardens....

But I'm not taking responsibility for epic delays on a train.... Not taking responsibility for a b/o miraculously being in service one minute, and then POOF - not in service, the next..... Not taking responsibility for no buses arriving along Broadway in the needed direction in 32 minutes.... Nope..... And now that I say that, it's actually worse than 32 minutes (even if I ignore the lady's 15 minute claim), because there was not one bus in that direction that passed by as I was walking to the B43, nor one in the see-able distance either....

Forgot to mention that in my walk to the B43, I actually considered taking the B48 - made my way to the stop & looked at the posted schedule - noted that the next bus was to arrive 12 mins after the fact... Basically, I was hoping for lightning in a bottle & got carpet burn instead....

In any case, F*** you, MT-lle (pronounced M-T-yay) - for those that know what llello is.

end transmission...

Glad to know that I am not the only impulsive commuter in the world. I have a habit to getting off trains or buses for a "quicker" commute, only to have Satan take over and make me regret choices I've made. I guess it's the Aries in me.