BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

When did 9445 get it? I know 9444 got it a while back. This is surprising as I would think they should've installed those signs on the 9600 which should be younger [iirc].

I was told that 9445 has it but I haven't seen it myself. IIRC the only reason 9444 got it is cuz the original sign broke

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oic. Given the RTSs retired, I would think they could've just taken one from those than to give 9444 a new one. Unless maybe they want to test the sign? Either way, it doesn't make sense to give any new signs to that bus group since they won't be on there for long. May as well give them to buses that will be here for a while longer like the 4900-5200s.

from subchat

This morning I saw a 4200 with what looks like a camera in the front windshield, I also saw 4615 like this but in that case I thought I was seeing things lol.

I looked on Google and none of photos I saw of MTA NGs have this white camera looking object in the front windshield... Can anyone shed light on this?

@Trainfan*: I'll keep an eye out for them.

Would've responded on that thread if not for the usual deuchebag ruining threads with his a**holeish comments.

Edited by Grand Concourse

^^^^ I was the one that started that thread on BC! :cool: :P

Anyways, I wonder if they really are refitting the Hybrids @ FLA with camaras, the two buses I saw sure looked like they had camaras in the front, I saw the 4200 up close on the B49 and could'nt tell If I saw actual camaras inside the bus or knobs on the bars, but I know fo shaw I saw a stange looking thing in the windshield of these buses that looks like a camara. Would make sense, RTSs are getting old and the company that made the cams went outta business.

Sorry, i forget the handle names b/w forums. But next time I ride a NG, i'll keep an eye out for them. I think I saw 4615, but didn't think anything of it. If I knew of this sooner, I would've taken a closer look at it. If they are 'road view' cameras, then that's great. Give the vids to the NYPD and crack down on the wreckless drivers on the road.

^^^^ I was the one that started that thread on BC! :cool: :(

Anyways, I wonder if they really are refitting the Hybrids @ FLA with camaras, the two buses I saw sure looked like they had camaras in the front, I saw the 4200 up close on the B49 and could'nt tell If I saw actual camaras inside the bus or knobs on the bars, but I know fo shaw I saw a stange looking thing in the windshield of these buses that looks like a camara. Would make sense, RTSs are getting old and the company that made the cams went outta business.

Some do have him...most likely those are bus lane camers since I seen a bus on the M15 +select with one...even inside the bus (the one I saw on the LFSA) there was cameras in it

Edited by Fresh Pond

So I was riding the N4 to Lynbrook after I dropped my bike off at the shop... as usual, the N4 to Freeport was late and two were bunched up, an Orion V and one NG... I got on the V, #1678, and it was leaning to the left so I had to literally jump to get on the bus. When I got on, a woman was talking with an NYCT employee that was onboard, but I couldn't hear them.

When I got to Lynbrook, the N25 going to Lynbrook was fine, but when that bus operator started her run back up to Great Neck, she got held up behind a line of an N31 and 32. The 31 ran by the three that were waiting for them because of the 32, and the 32 picked those people up. The N25, meanwhile, left Lynbrook on time but was stuck at the light by Merrick Road! That light by Peninsula and Hempstead Avenue has completely messed the traffic pattern up and holds traffic of all kinds up from Merrick. When the N25 came by, it was stuck at the light for at least three minutes... but the bus operator bought this huge drink from the White Castle right by the LIRR station and was pouring stuff into it while we waited at the lights.

Speaking of the 'dashboard' cams... I think I saw one on RTS 5190 today.

Also saw 9643 pass by, [*was indoors], but it sounded a little quieter than when I last heard it.

=

9445 does NOT have Hanover LEDs, I just saw it on the B62, they are green.

Thanks for the correction. That would be a waste to give that bus 'range' those new signs.

Edited by Grand Concourse

9129 has this deep sounding growl to it...it sounds like a big oversized 19 ton cat lol

Around the time Eastchester started doing Q50 (at that time QBx1) runs. That bus also saw some time at College Point before being sent back to Casey Stengel.

IIRC, its 5105-5112. 9444 & 9445 out of Grand Avenue also have them

I was told that T9445 has it but I haven't seen it myself. IIRC the only reason 9444 got it is cuz the original sign broke

I think I have finally come to terms with those NGs being at Fresh Pond lol...except for 3991. It has no A/C and the driver had to open every window last night :eek:

Ah, I see...thanks for clearing that up

Coming home, I find myself ditching the B8 @ 86th Street walk down a few blocks to take the B6 home more and more.... The B8 blows in the afternoon, it hits this hellish traffic on 18th Ave near the (F) train. Yes, the B6 hits traffic between Ocean Parkway and E16th Street, but its much more bareble than the 18th Ave traffic.

I also I hate the bustime ish on the B63, due to that fact that it uses a dedicated fleet of VII CNGs for the B63.... Which equals less VIIs on the other Gleason routes, a VII CNG is just as rare as a V CNG SMH. Its gets boring riding C40s all the time, prior, it was a nice mix between the VIIs and the NF with a V CNG once in the blue moon. :mad::P