BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Ummmm.... I'm infering that whatever LFSA's haven't been transferred already from Stengel will be retired from SBS service. I just got on 5908, the bus seems like it got cleaned thoroughly and has new CLEAR stickers with "no entry unless authorized".

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. Going with what East New York posted, I guess the CP and Yonkers buses are mostly at the bottom of the list to go out to ZA for upgrades

Funny. I went to Whole Foods by Bryant Park a little while ago, and had some time to kill before the next BxM2 came, and while I waiting, just about every QM express bus had that Wi-Fi sticker, including the CP buses. Several QM2's, QM20's had them, and the QM5's too, so you're bound to get on one with it.

All of Staten Island's Prevost along with Ulmer Park have WiFi and USB ports. Idk about the MCIs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew about the Prevosts from using the X27, X28 and Staten Island express buses. Those are newer so it was easy to take care of those.

Ummmm.... I'm infering that whatever LFSA's haven't been transferred already from Stengel will be retired from SBS service. I just got on 5908, the bus seems like it got cleaned thoroughly and has new CLEAR stickers with "no entry unless authorized".

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

LOL the SBS buses have those stickers too

Funny. I went to Whole Foods by Bryant Park a little while ago, and had some time to kill before the next BxM2 came, and while I waiting, just about every QM express bus had that Wi-Fi sticker, including the CP buses. Several QM2's, QM20's had them, and the QM5's too, so you're bound to get on one with it.

I knew about the Prevosts from using the X27, X28 and Staten Island express buses. Those are newer so it was easy to take care of those.

Are you sure it was a WiFi sticker, and not a USB sticker? Id love to get a bus with WiFi, but still nothing.

Are you sure it was a WiFi sticker, and not a USB sticker? Id love to get a bus with WiFi, but still nothing.

I wasn't looking that closely to see which sticker it was (I was waiting in Bryant Park until my bus was due - you know how annoying it is waiting for the express bus along 6th Avenue with the endless and clueless people walking about), but even if it did have Wi-Fi, I wouldn't bother with it.  I have an unlimited plan and frequently use my new phone has a hot spot when necessary. Much better than the Wi-Fi the (MTA) provides.

From the "Select Bus Service" wiki page:

Which routes have these, and are there any pics of this?

I've seen this once on the Q44 a couple days ago I just thought the blue pixels on the sign was broken lmao. But this was during the day and not at night.

All of Staten Island's Prevost along with Ulmer Park have WiFi and USB ports. Idk about the MCIs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen Some of the oldest MCI's with both Wifi and USB stickers.

I have never seen Wifi on any of the QM buses, but USB ports on an occasional bus. 

^

They have some stickers that say USB only.

The Q47 has been running via Grand Avenue and 69 Street instead of Calamus Avenue & 74 Street for the longest time now, and they still don't have that on the Queens bus map. 

I feel like this route change is permanent, because it was diverted a few years ago, and was slated to return to the regular route a year ago. I don't really mind the route, but at least make it accurate, especially since this is a (very) long-term detour. 

I wasn't looking that closely to see which sticker it was (I was waiting in Bryant Park until my bus was due - you know how annoying it is waiting for the express bus along 6th Avenue with the endless and clueless people walking about), but even if it did have Wi-Fi, I wouldn't bother with it. I have an unlimited plan and frequently use my new phone has a hot spot when necessary. Much better than the Wi-Fi the (MTA) provides.

Ha! Yes, I can always tell who is a tourist looking for those hop on/hop off buses but is standing in the express bus line.

I've seen this once on the Q44 a couple days ago I just thought the blue pixels on the sign was broken lmao. But this was during the day and not at night.

I've seen Some of the oldest MCI's with both Wifi and USB stickers.

I have never seen Wifi on any of the QM buses, but USB ports on an occasional bus.

^

They have some stickers that say USB only.[/quote​]

Today was the first time I caught buses with USB both going into the city and coming back.

Took a ride on 6043 tonight, op was hauling down Lex with no traffic. Those things move, but jesus, the ride is ass minus. I thought I had a few broken bones and got a few inches shorter by the time I got off. I was sitting on the high floor section too, which is what was so crazy to me. No RTS ever, ever rode like that, and the D60s shook and vibrated but not as nervous as that. Anybody else experienced that level of bumpiness? Pretty bad for a brand new bus that was fine in every other way.

i do have a random question 

since the newer buses  orion 7's and what ever came in after where i am in fla we have gilligs and when we had the DE35LFS 

there is a seems to be like a space for the wheel well and i tend to notice people like to dump their stuff on it and apparently some like to dump their strollers on there shouldn't they keep their strollers with them in the seats? what are TA rules on that?

5643354584_3896f0be90_b.jpg

look to the right of picture (who ever picture this is your acknowledged if you are on here)

i do have a random question 

since the newer buses  orion 7's and what ever came in after where i am in fla we have gilligs and when we had the DE35LFS 

there is a seems to be like a space for the wheel well and i tend to notice people like to dump their stuff on it and apparently some like to dump their strollers on there shouldn't they keep their strollers with them in the seats? what are TA rules on that?

5643354584_3896f0be90_b.jpg

look to the right of picture (who ever picture this is your acknowledged if you are on here)

Yes it is a problem and the (MTA) has tried to address it by putting notices on it. I don't ride the local buses enough during the heat of rush hour to say if this continues to be a problem.

The new buses (and the ones coming from their 4 year maintenance) have bars over them in the shape of an upsidd down "V". So you try to place your stuff on top, it will simply roll off the wheel well.

You're not supposed to place items there because in the event of an accident, swerving, hard braking, etc., those items can become projectiles. That and everyone who does place their stuff there just stands hovering over it and block up the aisle. Shoot, two people had an argument on my bus this week over this.

The new buses (and the ones coming from their 4 year maintenance) have bars over them in the shape of an upsidd down "V". So you try to place your stuff on top, it will simply roll off the wheel well.

You're not supposed to place items there because in the event of an accident, swerving, hard braking, etc., those items can become projectiles. That and everyone who does place their stuff there just stands hovering over it and block up the aisle. Shoot, two people had an argument on my bus this week over this.

lol... I've seen the same thing.  I don't understand what happened to putting your stuff on the floor in between your knees? <_< Some of these people come on with such ridiculous things. I can see a few bags, but they come on with large strollers and such and then become irate if the driver asks them to fold it up.  We had this on the M86 some months ago. Lady acted as if she didn't know what the driver was talking about when he asked her over the loud speaker since was she was all the way in the back, and instead of folding up the carriage, she actually got off of the bus.  

Another driver on the M15 though became hostile.  He refused to move the bus and demanded that the carriage was folded up.  Some people on the bus were annoyed and shocked by his behavior and didn't seem to understand the big deal.  I understood though. My main issue was how nasty and condescending he was.  He actually got off of the bus, walked to the back of the bus and was yelling from outside like a military sergeant, as if he was trying to embarrass the couple with their kids.  Completely unnecessary. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Maybe, its just me, but I've only ever seen people put their stuff (folded strollers, shopping bags, etc) down while they are paying and then they pick it up right after.

On crowded school trippers, I've even seen kids sit there.

Oh I see it all of the time on the Manhattan lines.  It's like people lack common sense.

I know that destination signs on the buses have improved, but still needs some improvement.

Especially the destination sign for the southbound B17 and Q17......

Yeah, I know there are better things to talk about, but its a random thought that popped up after riding the Q17 to "Archer Ave"...

I'm normally not out and about at 11pm, but I was coming back from the Yankee game earlier and I noticed a crowded Bx12 SBS heading eastbound. I can understand a packed bus heading westbound with people leaving Bay Plaza as the mall closes, but someone needs to explain to me how that happens on an eastbound trip that hadn't even reached Jerome at that point...

Did I mention the mall closes at 10pm? Where the hell are these people even going?

I'm normally not out and about at 11pm, but I was coming back from the Yankee game earlier and I noticed a crowded Bx12 SBS heading eastbound. I can understand a packed bus heading westbound with people leaving Bay Plaza as the mall closes, but someone needs to explain to me how that happens on an eastbound trip that hadn't even reached Jerome at that point...

Did I mention the mall closes at 10pm? Where the hell are these people even going?

The only thing that pops into my head is City Island. It's the holiday weekend, and knowingly the Bx12 doesn't head in that direction until later in the summer. Or people getting off at White Plains Road for the (2)(5) or Fordham Plaza. Just some obvious reasons. I may be wrong.

I guess they're either going home from shopping or nightlife in Inwood, or they're going to Fordham for nightlife or whatever. That, and evening buses can be crowded in general with people coming home from Manhattan and whatnot.

Or there was some kind of delay and there was an empty bus (or two) a couple of minutes behind it.

The only thing that pops into my head is City Island. It's the holiday weekend, and knowingly the Bx12 doesn't head in that direction until later in the summer. Or people getting off at White Plains Road for the (2)(5) or Fordham Plaza. Just some obvious reasons. I may be wrong.

City Island that late? Not really. The place is busy in the summer, but not that late at night. That's generally a very quiet, safe area. Not exactly known for clubs but rather seafood restaurants, and they're all on City Island Avenue anyway. Orchard Beach is another hot spot in the summer.

When I take the BxM1 via Inwood, I always see people waiting for the Bx12. You know Washington Heights and Inwood are areas where the Dominicans NEVER sleep. lol You can go by there 01:00 in the morning as I have and see the barbershops still open with guys getting haircuts and old dudes playing dominoes on the sidewalk, not to mention loud music everywhere. Just crazy. Could never live in an area like that. Between that and the various non-discreet clubs, those are not areas conducive to sleeping. ¡Hoy se bebe! lol Edited by Via Garibaldi 8