BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as the Digital info screens go, remember this was just phase 2 of the pilot program for MTA to decide which manufacturer they will select. From what I am being told the decision has now been made and I'm just waiting on confirmation on the winner now. All new buses after this current order should come with them already installed.

5914 had its screen removed because it's Quill bound in short order.

Will we see more current buses retrofitted with them?

I wonder what on what other routes they'll pilot those Digital info screens, I saw a pic of it on Instagram. Looks interesting.

The first phase of the pilot was for the M34, and now phase two is wrapping up with the multiboro and multi systems testing. Next installations will be permanent, and should work on any route if a bus is transferred or loaned.

Hope that with whatever screen they go with, it's programmed to react a little faster for local stops that are like 2 blocks away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully that won't be an issue with the production versions.

Will we see more current buses retrofitted with them?

Yes. By the end of next year everything that's not up for retirement will have them. A good majority of the newest buses are scheduled on have them by the end of this year. The Next orders of BE40's, BYD60's, LFS', XD40's, XDE40's, XD60's, XDE60's, XE40's, and XN60's are all scheduled to have them at entry into service. Let's see if it happens! Remember I first posted on this program a year before it was supposed to happen and it didn't come to pass, now 3 years later the second pilot is just now wrapping up.

Hope that with whatever screen they go with, it's programmed to react a little faster for local stops that are like 2 blocks away.

The ones that were tested on C40LF 572 out of SC did ok with that from personal observations. My issue is how any of the screens will work with short turn trips as the ones on 572 would stop announcing and displaying stop info after reaching Brooklyn College despite being a Downtown trip.

This also applies to detours as well as drivers on other TAs (e.g. NICE) that have their fleet fitted with AVLs could manually select stops on a console and resume regular course while the test screens we have don't seem to have one.

Edited by Neko Boy With Glasse

I wasn't looking that closely to see which sticker it was (I was waiting in Bryant Park until my bus was due - you know how annoying it is waiting for the express bus along 6th Avenue with the endless and clueless people walking about), but even if it did have Wi-Fi, I wouldn't bother with it. I have an unlimited plan and frequently use my new phone has a hot spot when necessary. Much better than the Wi-Fi the (MTA) provides.

Really? Depending on your network coverage it has, the Transit's wifi is more faster and accurate than those of I don't wanna mention them.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Really? Depending on your network coverage it has, the Transit's wifi is more faster and accurate than those of I don't wanna mention them.

Well for browsing I've been using Verizon Wireless for years and have been very satisfied since I switched from AT&T and T-Mobile prior to that. Truth be told, I used to have everything with AT&T - wireless internet for home use and mobile and it was horrible.  The same old story... We have towers down...  <_< I think I made the switch around 2011... The only reason I didn't go with Verizon before that was because AT&T had more variety in cell phones, but when I switched to Verizon, I switched everything to them... FiOS for home and Verizon Wireless for the cell phone.  Very few issues, especially if you upgrade your phone every year or two. They have the best coverage in NYC for cell use.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Underground? T-Mobile Sucks. AT&T Good, especially if you have Net-10. And it's been a good year that I used it ever since I started working again. It works underground, deep 191' or out of range. No problems with me.

Verizon Wireless is the best in NYC, hands down.  The worst I get is 3G, and a quick reboot will get me back to 4G like that.  The Wi-Fi on the buses however tends to go in and out.

Underground? T-Mobile Sucks. AT&T Good, especially if you have Net-10. And it's been a good year that I used it ever since I started working again. It works underground, deep 191' or out of range. No problems with me.

As a long-time T-Mobile user of 10+ years, I very much disagree.

Verizon Wireless is the best in NYC, hands down.  The worst I get is 3G, and a quick reboot will get me back to 4G like that.  The Wi-Fi on the buses however tends to go in and out.

Eh, I feel like VZ has been slowly declining over the years. Certainly not as bad as AT&T or T-Mobile during their worst times, but not as good as it used to be.

On the other hand, I can't recall the last time I met someone on Sprint.

Eh, I feel like VZ has been slowly declining over the years. Certainly not as bad as AT&T or T-Mobile during their worst times, but not as good as it used to be.

i hear verison is expensive AF and yet their quality is crap  and i just switched from sprint to metro/t-mobile sprint is lying like crap just to get people into their services 

also while i am here just wondering who ever rode the N shuttle what was their left right routing?

Edited by BreeddekalbL

i hear verison is expensive AF and yet their quality is crap  and i just switched from sprint to metro/t-mobile sprint is lying like crap just to get people into their services 

also while i am here just wondering who ever rode the N shuttle what was their left right routing?

Notice I said Verizon Wireless and not Verizon. I only have them for cell service.  My thinking is they want to get people off of DSL and will keep jacking up their prices to do so, but they aren't rolling out FiOS fast enough either, so it's a mess.  I dumped my home internet once I got an unlimited data plan.  I just tether with my phone at 4G speeds.  Works beautifully whenever I need internet and now and days phones are a nice size, so don't even need the laptop most of the time anyway.  

From Queensborough Plaza:

Load on Queens Plaza South at 28 St

Right on 28 St

Left on 42 Rd

Left on Jackson Av, then Northern Blvd

Left on 31 St

Right on 24 Av

Left on 35 (?) St

Left on 21 Av

Left on 31 St to stand on Ditmars 

From Ditmars:

Load on Ditmars Blvd between 31 St and 33 St

Right on 33 St

Right on 24 Av

Left on 31 St

Right on Northern

Right on Queens Plaza N to stand at Queensborough Plaza subway entrance

As a long-time T-Mobile user of 10+ years, I very much disagree.

As a new T-Mo customer for about 15 months now I would agree with you. It's totally different from Sprint, and when I switched last March I took my same Sprint iPhone to them and it was like I had a brand new phone. My Srint signal was HORRIBLE in the subway and along the Brighton Line which is above ground. I can FaceTime,Ed from Coney Island to Propect Park now.

As a new T-Mo customer for about 15 months now I would agree with you. It's totally different from Sprint, and when I switched last March I took my same Sprint iPhone to them and it was like I had a brand new phone. My Srint signal was HORRIBLE in the subway and along the Brighton Line which is above ground. I can FaceTime,Ed from Coney Island to Propect Park now.

Sprint is garbage! Had it all my life and the last 5 years it went downhill. Service is terrible everywhere, even in service zones. Also, Sprint is the only carrier that doesn't have the videocall feature for android phones. They lie to their customers. It's not worth it. #boycottsprint

Not sure if this was mentioned or not, but the new-ish bus stops with the countdown clocks that are in Staten Island and parts of Manhattan are now hitting Woodhaven Blvd. There's a stop below Rockaway Blvd that has it.

They're expanding. There's one installed (or being installed) at 3rd Avenue and 50th Street.

Sprint is garbage! Had it all my life and the last 5 years it went downhill. Service is terrible everywhere, even in service zones. Also, Sprint is the only carrier that doesn't have the videocall feature for android phones. They lie to their customers. It's not worth it. #boycottsprint

You are damn right. From 2006-2010, I was with Nextel/Sprint, and the only good thing was them walkie talkie (remember that? It was when this site was a rookie), now, there gabarge! Worthless piece of trash.

Not sure if this was mentioned or not, but the new-ish bus stops with the countdown clocks that are in Staten Island and parts of Manhattan are now hitting Woodhaven Blvd. There's a stop below Rockaway Blvd that has it.

That stop is specifically at Sutter Avenue / Cross Bay Blvd going North. Took a picture of it the other day but it appears my phone did not save the image. 

Finally got a CP MCI with WiFi. Weirdly, they forgot to put the sticker on the side of the bus. It worked pretty well, except my cloud services wouldn't connect, as they said the security certificate was out of date or something like that with the MTA WiFi. Oh well. Still a huge game changer/improvement for my productivity time on the bus. 

Finally got a CP MCI with WiFi. Weirdly, they forgot to put the sticker on the side of the bus. It worked pretty well, except my cloud services wouldn't connect, as they said the security certificate was out of date or something like that with the MTA WiFi. Oh well. Still a huge game changer/improvement for my productivity time on the bus.

So how did you find out? Just searched for a Wi-Fi signal?