BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Might be a stupid question but what is the "SEE SIGN BELOW" dest used for?

It's usually used when the signage above is broken, or the route won't display or the code isn't there to display the route # and destination. In the old days, this was rather common where the sign would freeze or was just broken. I haven't seen it in a while. The last time it happened was on a BxM2 express bus. The sign was completely broken (nothing shown in the signage area). Bus reached 63rd and Broadway and I could see there was a problem and just got on. The driver didn't have a sign below (likely couldn't make one). Most people didn't make a big deal out of it except one passenger. I think they do a better job now with taking buses out of service and fixing those things than before. Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Notice I said Verizon Wireless and not Verizon. I only have them for cell service.  My thinking is they want to get people off of DSL and will keep jacking up their prices to do so, but they aren't rolling out FiOS fast enough either, so it's a mess.  I dumped my home internet once I got an unlimited data plan.  I just tether with my phone at 4G speeds.  Works beautifully whenever I need internet and now and days phones are a nice size, so don't even need the laptop most of the time anyway.  

FiOS is okay, and is way better than putting up with TWC/Spectrum/whatever at this point...

Verizon Wireless is still good for total national coverage. T-Mobile is far better if you do lots of international stuff, since Deutsch Telekom (their owner) has partnership agreements with what seems like every major carrier in every country for unlimited data access. But I have noticed that sometimes I will have no Verizon service but my T-Mobile friends will be going at full blast when we're in the city. In fact, when I was at GovBall earlier, the entirety of Randall's Island seemed to be a Verizon dead zone, but T-Mobile people were doing great.

The new VanHool (C2045s?) are pretty solid buses. I've rode the Atlantic Express, Academy, and North Fork Express ones and none of them ever rattled. They are pretty spacious, and are SMOOTH. I wonder what the relationship is like between VanHool and the MTA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Why Does The M100 Uses Ariculated Buses On Occasion

It needs to use more of them....

The new VanHool (C2045s?) are pretty solid buses. I've rode the Atlantic Express, Academy, and North Fork Express ones and none of them ever rattled. They are pretty spacious, and are SMOOTH. I wonder what the relationship is like between VanHool and the MTA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VanHool seems to build some damn good buses. Them Belgians know their stuff. B-)  As for MTA use, I'm not sure they're suited for city/commuter use, they're built to be road cruisers. [Touring coach]

I found the College Point express bus with the annunciator, 2859

6ZeYtPI.jpg

Those buses bring up nothing but hellish commutes... The sooner they retire them the better.  They've been using on the BxM2, and every time I put on BusTime I cringe and opt for the BxM1 instead since they both stop on the Upper East Side and get to Riverdale around the same time usually anyway.  This bus may have been on the QM20 last night.  Didn't pay attention, but it flew by before my bus came.

Those buses bring up nothing but hellish commutes... The sooner they retire them the better.  They've been using on the BxM2, and every time I put on BusTime I cringe and opt for the BxM1 instead since they both stop on the Upper East Side and get to Riverdale around the same time usually anyway.  This bus may have been on the QM20 last night.  Didn't pay attention, but it flew by before my bus came.

Lol, Yonkers only have three of them and are used during rush hours only. I don't know how that makes you avoid the BxM2 when the three buses only make up about 1% of the entire Yonkers fleet.

Edited by Kingsbridgeviewer382

Lol, Yonkers only have three of them and are used during rush hours only. I don't know how that makes you avoid the BxM2 when the three buses only make up about 1% of the entire Yonkers fleet.

They are used outside of the rush.  What I meant to say is I avoid the BxM2 if I see that the next bus is going to be one of those on BusTime. I have access to the BxM1 and BxM2 just about anywhere that I'm at since I usually am in between both lines, so if I'm on 34th street, I've walked from 6th to 3rd for the BxM1.  Same deal on the Upper East Side or other parts of Midtown.  They've been out for a while, and I've only taken them on the BxM1 in the morning if they come and don't appear on BusTime, otherwise I avoid them unless I'm in a rush.

Honestly I didnt notice anything wrong with this bus. Why dont people like them? How many older buses are at CP?

They're old hand-me-downs from Staten Island, which were horrible (no AC, tons of broken seats with nails or something sticking out of them, sunken seats...).  They seem to have refurbished these a little (thank God), but outside of that they need to go.  Those hard to read green rolling signs... Those buses have seen their share and then some.  Time for new ones with better amenities.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

They're old hand-me-downs from Staten Island, which were horrible (no AC, tons of broken seats with nails or something sticking out of them, sunken seats...). They seem to have refurbished these a little (thank God), but outside of that they need to go. Those hard to read green rolling signs... Those buses have seen their share and then some. Time for new ones with better amenities.

Wow.

I got 2856 this morning, another old bus.

No broken seats, fully functioning AC, clean, even has usb. CP probably takes better care of their buses. Though I agree the green signs are hard to read, but bustime and 3rd party appa can identify the bus number so theres that

Wow.

I got 2856 this morning, another old bus.

No broken seats, fully functioning AC, clean, even has usb. CP probably takes better care of their buses. Though I agree the green signs are hard to read, but bustime and 3rd party appa can identify the bus number so theres that

Not really.  I've been on my fair share of CP buses that could use some TLC.  I'm pretty sure that only the most decent buses were kept and then they underwent a full rehab (replacing broken seats, AC and anything else) before going into service at CP.  Those buses from Staten Island... I've been on buses where the shocks were totally done.  Guy kept the bus in service because otherwise we would've been waiting a while.  Guys that have driven CP buses have told me stories about their buses too, and sometimes they're so backed up in repairs that they send buses elsewhere to have them fixed.