BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

X21 or X22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or the X23, X24, X30 X31 (evenings only) or X17J... The only North Shore route is the X30 and that's probably the easiest one to use in terms of having more options to leave Staten Island.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

As a long-time T-Mobile user of 10+ years, I very much disagree.

As does this T-Mobile user, who celebrates his fourth anniversary with them this August.

I've made several runs between the city and Albany as of late, and while the data portion still needs work upstate, the calls all pass as long as you're not a slow driver.

I just get on whatever via NJ bus shows up first along 57th Street in midtown. I been on both the 21 and 22 before, like them both but prefer the 21 cause it serves ETC.

And what's at ETC that interests you so much? 

As does this T-Mobile user, who celebrates his fourth anniversary with them this August.

I've made several runs between the city and Albany as of late, and while the data portion still needs work upstate, the calls all pass as long as you're not a slow driver.

Their data has always sucked.  I rarely have slow downs with my unlimited data plan until I reach say 25GB, and the reason it's that high is because I use my phone as a hot spot at home, so streaming highlights of games and music can eat up data pretty quickly.  I put it on one of the highest settings for the best quality too.  :D

Or the X23, X24, X30 X31 (evenings only) or X17J... The only North Shore route is the X30 and that's probably the easiest one to use in terms of having more options to leave Staten Island.

Bro I'm from S.I, you know that. I was just saying those routes as those are the best ones IMO to ride.

Yeah, but what he said, any of those routes will take you over the Goethals.

Now when are they gonna start on a new Outerborough Crossing? <_<

Oh its coming. Its in the design phase right now.

Bro I'm from S.I, you know that. I was just saying those routes as those are the best ones IMO to ride.

Yeah, but what he said, any of those routes will take you over the Goethals.

Of course I know that.  That was really for him since he doesn't live on the island.  I'm still wondering why he would schlep all the way to the ETC.  I suppose for the different bus routes, but that's a long way back to where ever he's going.

Of course I know that. That was really for him since he doesn't live on the island. I'm still wondering why he would schlep all the way to the ETC. I suppose for the different bus routes, but that's a long way back to where ever he's going.

True, if anything, he take the X17J, you have the mall and a few ferry routes, and the S79.

Now that I think about it, ETC has a lot of express routes that come to it, along with the 74/84, 59/89, and 79. So its definitely for the different routes. He can then take the 74 to the ferry or the 79 to Bay Ridge which makes sense.

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

The ETC is a great place to wait for a bus, I always use to get off there after riding an express bus to use the bathroom (which isn't open to the public anymore sadly) plus it has MVM and indoor waiting if the weather isn't too nice. Usually got off there and transferred to the 79 or X1 - Subway back to BK. BTW I rode all the TA operated via NJ express buses years ago plus I know how to use a bus map lol. I'm not completely clueless about SI bus network, been on all the ferry - North shore routes except for the S42. Rode most of SI local network except for like 3 or 4 routes

Edited by trainfan22

The ETC is a great place to wait for a bus, I always use to get off there after riding an express bus to use the bathroom (which isn't open to the public anymore sadly) plus it has MVM and indoor waiting if the weather isn't too nice. Usually got off there and transferred to the 79 or X1 - Subway back to BK. BTW I rode all the TA operated via NJ express buses years ago plus I know how to use a bus map lol. I'm not completely clueless about SI bus network, been on all the ferry - North shore routes except for the S42. Rode most of SI local network except for like 3 or 4 routes

I would agree that a good SI fantrip should include the S79. It's a good bus overall: Frequent, quick, etc. I can't stand the ferry, and taking the X30 to the S53/93 just wouldn't be as good as the S79 (the S53 is slower, and the S93 isn't as quick as the S79, nor as frequent).

Yeah, the annoying thing about the S42 is that it basically ends in the middle of nowhere. So you have to walk back down the hill to Jersey Street to catch the S52 (not a particularly pleasant area) or walk down the other hill on Lafayette to the S44 (or maybe hang out with the B/O for a few minutes until he makes his return trip, but the problem is a lot of them do one trip and deadhead back to the ferry or to the depot). 

Funny enough I was working by that area today....boy they really need to come up with a better detour for the S44 around that construction on Bement. They have it running Cary-Bement-Castleton-Broadway-Henderson. Way too long and time-consuming. Just have it take Cary to Broadway to Henderson and call it a day.

I would agree that a good SI fantrip should include the S79. It's a good bus overall: Frequent, quick, etc. I can't stand the ferry, and taking the X30 to the S53/93 just wouldn't be as good as the S79 (the S53 is slower, and the S93 isn't as quick as the S79, nor as frequent).

Yeah, the annoying thing about the S42 is that it basically ends in the middle of nowhere. So you have to walk back down the hill to Jersey Street to catch the S52 (not a particularly pleasant area) or walk down the other hill on Lafayette to the S44 (or maybe hang out with the B/O for a few minutes until he makes his return trip, but the problem is a lot of them do one trip and deadhead back to the ferry or to the depot).

Funny enough I was working by that area today....boy they really need to come up with a better detour for the S44 around that construction on Bement. They have it running Cary-Bement-Castleton-Broadway-Henderson. Way too long and time-consuming. Just have it take Cary to Broadway to Henderson and call it a day.

I agree with this all.

Also, that detour with the 44 makes it feel like the 52 near Sand Lane where it goes around by Norway. Heading towards the ferry, turning left on Broadway, then right on Henderson would be much smoother.

I guess they gotta show people why the bus is being detoured, lets them see that the road is blocked off.

I'd argue ETC is the best place to wait for & easily catch a bus in SI (that includes the Ferry.... I suppose it's for safety reasons, but I abhor the way each lane is blocked off by a wall

I like the S79, but Hylan itself is boring as shit to me.... If it weren't for the fact that the S78 spans the length of the island (making for a nice long ride), I would have no interest in it....Whenever riding in SI, I like to hit up the south shore the most (which usually means the S74 or S78, if I'm not talking about riding weekday express buses) & the north shore secondly (shout out to the S40's... except for the S44; shouldn't be a thing)... Most of Mid-Island in general I find to be rather boring (I really only like riding the S61)......

Do they consider Howland Hook as part of the West shore or the North Shore?

I'd argue ETC is the best place to wait for & easily catch a bus in SI (that includes the Ferry.... I suppose it's for safety reasons, but I abhor the way each lane is blocked off by a wall

I like the S79, but Hylan itself is boring as shit to me.... If it weren't for the fact that the S78 spans the length of the island (making for a nice long ride), I would have no interest in it....Whenever riding in SI, I like to hit up the south shore the most (which usually means the S74 or S78, if I'm not talking about riding weekday express buses) & the north shore secondly (shout out to the S40's... except for the S44; shouldn't be a thing)... Most of Mid-Island in general I find to be rather boring (I really only like riding the S61)......

Good question.  I never thought of it as part of the North Shore, perhaps because it's basically industrial.  I find that whole area to be weird and third world looking, especially Mariners Harbor along South Avenue.  It's all the West Shore to me, even if it is technically part of the North Shore.  It's certainly no Westerleigh, West Brighton or Randall Manor, that's for sure.

And what's at ETC that interests you so much? 

Their data has always sucked.  I rarely have slow downs with my unlimited data plan until I reach say 25GB, and the reason it's that high is because I use my phone as a hot spot at home, so streaming highlights of games and music can eat up data pretty quickly.  I put it on one of the highest settings for the best quality too.  :D

whenever I go joy riding to SI ETC is always my desired destination. With easy connections to the X1 and S79, and nearby proximity to The SI Mall, and the SIR make it a great destination. One way or another I always end up there. 

That's crazy. Those buses are never out on weekends.

CP runs them on weekends. 

Interesting I wonder if WF is going to wrap a few of the C40LFs for SBS in the mean time... Until the XN60s arrive...? Branding wise it makes sense but this is the MTA so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't lol

They're gonna probably end up using the XN40s

CP runs them on weekends. 

Probably a very rare occasion, as they don't send them out on the weekends. Back when SC had those buses, one unit was once sent out on Saturday for whatever reason (it was during the winter). IDK if it was one entire run, but it was out all day (from about 10-11AM and as late as 9 PM). I only noticed it because I saw two BM1 buses on bustime, and had to see what was up (by the time I got Midtown, it did a BM2 trip). 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

In general, it's considered part of the North Shore.

Basically, the general consensus is that anything north of the Staten Island Expressway is the North Shore, and south of it is Mid-Island. Most people would consider the West Shore to be the Mid-Island areas along the West Shore Expressway (so Bloomfield & Chelsea definitely. Travis, depends on who you ask since it's mostly residential, especially east of the West Shore Expressway. But at the same time, it's so isolated from the rest of the Mid-Island. But with Willowbrook Park, everything's kind of isolated. You have Willowbrook on the north/east side, Bulls Head on the west side, and Heartland Village on the south side, which some people consider a subsection of New Springville, so Travis isn't so much of an outlier in that sense). 

South Shore, as you probably know would be anything south of Arthur Kill Road/Richmond Road (until up around New Dorp, which I would personally classify as Mid-Island because of how heavily commercial it is, but I think more people consider it to be the South Shore). 

I've seen people divide Mid-Island into the East Shore and West Shore (so the East Shore would basically be everything east of Todt Hill, and the West Shore would be Todt Hill, the Greenbelt, and everything west of it).

I've seen Graniteville/Mariners Harbor/Arlington/Old Place included in some West Shore studies, but in general, those would be considered North Shore neighborhoods.

Good question.  I never thought of it as part of the North Shore, perhaps because it's basically industrial.  I find that whole area to be weird and third world looking, especially Mariners Harbor along South Avenue.  It's all the West Shore to me, even if it is technically part of the North Shore.  It's certainly no Westerleigh, West Brighton or Randall Manor, that's for sure.

The irony of somebody trying to dissociate a "third-world" area from the North Shore, as if the North Shore isn't considered the "ghetto" side of the island....so if Arlington & Mariners Harbor are the West Shore, what does that make Port Richmond and Stapleton (and West Brighton along Richmond Terrace or Castleton Avenue)?

Edited by checkmatechamp13