BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

SEPTAs 2003-2004 D40LFs. 55xx-58xx, how do those buses roar like that?!? Those are the only D40s that sound like that ever. I love Xcelsiors, but I hate the fact that hybrid Xcelsiors are gonna replace those. Wish some modern day diesel buses could have that sound. The MTA Prevost are loud, but these new local buses are too quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of then were repowered to a Cummins ISL engine after being overhauled, and they have wide exhaust pipes

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know exactly which RTS bus numbers still have the side signs on the bottom of the window like in this video? I usually see them on Jamaica and East New York bus depots, but are there others?

IIRC, all Nova Bus RTSs originally had those signs on the bottom while their TMC and GMC counterparts had them on the top, but I am assuming the Nova Bus RTSs had the signs moved up after their predecessors retired because it blocked drivers and passengers' views?

Does anyone know exactly which RTS bus numbers still have the side signs on the bottom of the window like in this video? I usually see them on Jamaica and East New York bus depots, but are there others?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwxRB5Y0REU

IIRC, all Nova Bus RTSs originally had those signs on the bottom while their TMC and GMC counterparts had them on the top, but I am assuming the Nova Bus RTSs had the signs moved up after their predecessors retired because it blocked drivers and passengers' views?

4900-4987 have the side display at the bottom.

Someone said on the forums that they are not allowed.

The BxM9 runs out of an (MTA) Bus depot (Eastchester), and CP is also an (MTA) Bus depot.  Those old buses will eventually be retired once the new express buses come in for (MTA) Bus, which is why they were transferred to (MTA) Bus in the first place.  I believe the rule is that (MTA) Bus can't send new buses over to NYCT, but they can send them over to other (MTA) Bus depots as needed.  Likely has to do with contractual obligations.  

These old buses were once NYCT buses that were pushed out by the Prevosts, so they were refurbished, and sent over to (MTA) Bus to keep down the age of the fleet and allow them to pull some other buses that needed to be refurbished. There's sort of a pecking order in play here.  NYCT can send over their leftovers to (MTA) Bus, as was seen with the local buses at Eastchester.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2878 is on the BxM9. I thought older CP buses weren't allowed on that route.

The 2100s they had at the time were not allowed because one broke down on the middle of 23rd Street, causing major traffic and delays. They didn't want to risk that happening a 2nd time after that.

The 2800s will be seeing a bit of rehab work done to them. They'll be here longer than expected.

Edited by Cait Sith

The 2100s they had at the time were not allowed because one broke down on the middle of 23rd Street, causing major traffic and delays. They didn't want to risk that happening a 2nd time after that.

The 2800s will be seeing a bit of rehab work done to them. They'll be here longer than expected.

lol... Even the 2800s should go given what Staten Island put those buses through.  The shocks on those buses leave a lot to be desired.  Rides like an old bus for sure, especially when coming around turns.  Thank God they're mainly used for the rush.  

lol... Even the 2800s should go given what Staten Island put those buses through.  The shocks on those buses leave a lot to be desired.  Rides like an old bus for sure, especially when coming around turns.  Thank God they're mainly used for the rush.  

They've actually worked on those quite a lot. They ride much better compared to how they were in Staten Island.

X21 really needs more buses, especially during the PM rush. Took it yesterday, first bus was SRO at 7th ave, second bus was SRO, so I walked to Madison, extreme long line. Bus was gonna get full at that stop. So I walked to 1st Ave and got a seat. Bus was SRO by time we hit 8th Ave, where there were about 7 standees.

It should be every 15 mins from 4-6pm. X17J riders are taking it instead since it's a direct link to the ETC instead of going around by the mall, etc, down Richmond Ave. Then you also have some X1, X5, and X7 riders that would normally get on around 36th to 47th that are taking it who live along Richmond Ave between Hylan and ETC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888