BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the way though 2018. Funny you say that as I'm going over the delivery schedule right now. Lol maybe I will post it..... Is that something you all would be interested in?

Sure, why not. Sounds interesting to me lol

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

One place that needs some sort of bus priority signal is at 3rd Avenue & 55th Street. The way the M101/102/103 has to cut all the way to the far left after the 55th Street stop is horrendous and is an accident waiting to happen. It's a huge safety hazard.

One place that needs some sort of bus priority signal is at 3rd Avenue & 55th Street. The way the M101/102/103 has to cut all the way to the far left after the 55th Street stop is horrendous and is an accident waiting to happen. It's a huge safety hazard.

That along with the express buses coming out of 55th during the rush. Everyone blocks the box, and causes madd delays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That along with the express buses coming out of 55th during the rush. Everyone blocks the box, and causes madd delays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those buses are incredibly annoying.  Sometimes I get the BxM1 and they get caught in that mess because so many buses come out at the same time.  Would be good if they could reconfigure 57th for that, but likely not to happen.

X21 really needs more buses, especially during the PM rush. Took it yesterday, first bus was SRO at 7th ave, second bus was SRO, so I walked to Madison, extreme long line. Bus was gonna get full at that stop. So I walked to 1st Ave and got a seat. Bus was SRO by time we hit 8th Ave, where there were about 7 standees.

It should be every 15 mins from 4-6pm. X17J riders are taking it instead since it's a direct link to the ETC instead of going around by the mall, etc, down Richmond Ave. Then you also have some X1, X5, and X7 riders that would normally get on around 36th to 47th that are taking it who live along Richmond Ave between Hylan and ETC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Who wouldn't want to take the X21, it's one of the few routes the MTA did right. 

Those buses are incredibly annoying.  Sometimes I get the BxM1 and they get caught in that mess because so many buses come out at the same time.  Would be good if they could reconfigure 57th for that, but likely not to happen.

The problem is too many Queens Buses are there, I'd rather shift those 3rd av buses to 2nd av and have them use the tunnel. 

i saw in someone's video that they have island style bus stops i think on 3rd ave? care to explain to me please

Yeah... That's only for 57th and 3rd.  For years I always wondered why one had to backtrack from 61st or walk from 55th to transfer at 57th since it is a major intersection. Well the problem was traffic.  The DOT reconfigured the entire intersection to streamline traffic on 3rd, as well as the cars that needed to go to Queens.  The island was added because traffic continuing along 3rd moves to the left and it creates a safe environment for everyone.  Without that island I would not feel comfortable waiting there.  Too many cars flying from all different directions. They seem to be taking a page out of street designs in Europe.  3rd and 57th is basically laid out just like streets in Downtown Florence (Italy).  Works pretty well overall though the merging and switching to get into the correct lanes is a problem, but traffic moves MUCH better than before.  

The problem is too many Queens Buses are there, I'd rather shift those 3rd av buses to 2nd av and have them use the tunnel. 

We're talking about the SI express buses that layover on 55th.  I don't think the Queens express buses are an issue since they are coming straight up 3rd Avenue in that area. The 3rd Avenue service is a lot faster than 6th to be honest.  3rd is wide (used to be a two way street) so traffic generally moves better (I know from using the BxM1 versus traffic along 6th with the BxM2 and the other QM express buses).

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Yeah... That's only for 57th and 3rd.  For years I always wondered why one had to backtrack from 61st or walk from 55th to transfer at 57th since it is a major intersection. Well the problem was traffic.  The DOT reconfigured the entire intersection to streamline traffic on 3rd, as well as the cars that needed to go to Queens.  The island was added because traffic continuing along 3rd moves to the left and it creates a safe environment for everyone.  Without that island I would not feel comfortable waiting there.  Too many cars flying from all different directions. They seem to be taking a page out of street designs in Europe.  3rd and 57th is basically laid out just like streets in Downtown Florence (Italy).  Works pretty well overall though the merging and switching to get into the correct lanes is a problem, but traffic moves MUCH better than before.  

We're talking about the SI express buses that layover on 55th.  I don't think the Queens express buses are an issue since they are coming straight up 3rd Avenue in that area. The 3rd Avenue service is a lot faster than 6th to be honest.  3rd is wide (used to be a two way street) so traffic generally moves better (I know from using the BxM1 versus traffic along 6th with the BxM2 and the other QM express buses).

You're definitely right about the 3rd Av buses being faster, but the problem I have is that whole area, around 3rd AV and 57th st is just a giant clusterf*** of buses. PM rush can be hell and part of the problem is too many buses. 

You're definitely right about the 3rd Av buses being faster, but the problem I have is that whole area, around 3rd AV and 57th st is just a giant clusterf*** of buses. PM rush can be hell and part of the problem is too many buses. 

The only way that you can really mitigate that problem is to prohibit cars entirely during certain parts of the day.

All the way though 2018. Funny you say that as I'm going over the delivery schedule right now. Lol maybe I will post it..... Is that something you all would be interested in?

If you get a chance YES PLEASE!!! Would be cool to see it.

ok... and supposedly they want to do those island style bus stops on the woodhaven sbs well they better put bollards so some errant car doesn't crash into the bus stop

Who wouldn't want to take the X21, it's one of the few routes the MTA did right. 

Yeah.....about that x21.....it wasn't entirely the MTA's idea....they just took the idea from folks down at S.I(Charleston to be exact) and rebranded it to their own, with some changes.

Queens Expresses aren't the issue at all. I very much agree with the SI buses though. They tend to double park on the left side or park there and it causes problems on the left side of 3rd Avenue.

As for waiting for a bus on the island stop. With how slow traffic is over there, I don't think a major accident would involve that island platform.

Yeah.....about that x21.....it wasn't entirely the MTA's idea....they just took the idea from folks down at S.I(Charleston to be exact) and rebranded it to their own, with some changes.

Queens Expresses aren't the issue at all. I very much agree with the SI buses though. They tend to double park on the left side or park there and it causes problems on the left side of 3rd Avenue.

As for waiting for a bus on the island stop. With how slow traffic is over there, I don't think a major accident would involve that island platform.

It doesn't always crawl. There are times that I've had to scurry to get across the street. That island comes in handy.

You could just only wish if certain local and express bus lines throughout the city were ran the way the x21 is ran. Take good ideas than sprinkle some (MTA) thoughts and service would be a bit better.

I want to learn a little about Staten Islands bus history. From the year 2000-present, what routes used to exist local/express wise? I'm trying to find some documents but all I came up with were the X6, X13, X18, X20, and S60.

Edit: just found borough maps from 2005

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

I want to learn a little about Staten Islands bus history. From the year 2000-present, what routes used to exist local/express wise? I'm trying to find some documents but all I came up with were the X6, X13, X18, X20, and S60.

Some of the North Shore routes were fairly new like the X30. I think that one started in the early 2000s. That route was put in place after Jazimah's abysmal attempt to run express bus service with broken down buses, leaving passengers stranded on the side of the road in NJ. The X16 as well is another one.

Now when are they gonna start on a new Outerborough Crossing? <_<

You mean the Triboro project?

If I may ask, there's an overgrown with weeds rail bed below the Rockaway Blvd viaduct. I never looked right going uptown because I was always on the port side of the car going north.

What was that for?

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

You mean the Triboro project?

If I may ask, there's an overgrown with weeds rail bed below the Rockaway Blvd viaduct. I never looked right going uptown because I was always on the port side of the car going north.

What was that for?

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

No i mean the bridge between SI and NJ known as the 'Outerbridge Crossing'. I was responding to the discussion about the new Goethals Bridge

In 2010 that was when they had a bunch of service cuts. The S60 was combined with the S66, the S54 had its weekend service cut, the S76 had its weekend service cut (and later brought back), and the S40/90 used to run to Howland Hook (if you go way back to the early 90s, the S48/98 used to run there). 

Express bus-wise, all the routes you listed were eliminated in 2010 (and the X16 as VG8 mentioned).

Some of the North Shore routes were fairly new like the X30. I think that one started in the early 2000s. That route was put in place after Jazumah's abysmal attempt to run express bus service with broken down buses, leaving passengers stranded on the side of the road in NJ. The X16 as well is another one.

Nah, the X16 was around for a while. I have an old 1993 bus map that shows the X16 running. 

And no, JAzumah is relatively new to the SI transportation scene (he ran the #144 bus to Bayonne & Hoboken). The "via NJ" routes (X17J, X22, X23, X24, X30) were all run by Academy, with the exception of the X31.

In 2010 that was when they had a bunch of service cuts. The S60 was combined with the S66, the S54 had its weekend service cut, the S76 had its weekend service cut (and later brought back), and the S40/90 used to run to Howland Hook (if you go way back to the early 90s, the S48/98 used to run there). 

Express bus-wise, all the routes you listed were eliminated in 2010 (and the X16 as VG8 mentioned).

Nah, the X16 was around for a while. I have an old 1993 bus map that shows the X16 running. 

And no, JAzumah is relatively new to the SI transportation scene (he ran the #144 bus to Bayonne & Hoboken). The "via NJ" routes (X17J, X22, X23, X24, X30) were all run by Academy, with the exception of the X31.

I didn't say the X16 was around after 2000, but it still hasn't been around that long in my book. You can dispute the Jazmuah story if you like but it is one that various express bus passengers tell vividly that lived on Staten Island well before you did. I don't think they have a reason to lie. The X30 was not around that long, that's for sure.