BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

No greater feeling after walking 8 miles looking for apartments to list at the start of one's real estate career than being the first person off a ferry that was 10 minutes late and watching all the buses leave as you get to the top of the St George bus ramps.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No greater feeling after walking 8 miles looking for apartments to list at the start of one's real estate career than being the first person off a ferry that was 10 minutes late and watching all the buses leave as you get to the top of the St George bus ramps.

It's ridiculous that they don't hold the buses (and trains) for late ferries, since people coming from the ferry terminal are the main source of ridership for them.

Edited by P3F

It's ridiculous that they don't hold the buses (and trains) for late ferries, since people coming from the ferry terminal are the main source of ridership for them.

Since another boat was 5-10 minutes behind us, instead of making bus riders downline wait another two minutes for us to board, the dispatchers opted to double load the 7:45 buses.

I dunno how these people keep their jobs.

You're depending on SI local buses to make your appointments? That will be interesting. I can see it now. Tales of the local bus broker. lol

You're depending on SI local buses to make your appointments? That will be interesting. I can see it now. Tales of the local bus broker. lol

Nah, Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn - Fulton and Brighton Lines.

This happened when I was going home to St George.

Edited by Deucey

Nah, Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn - Fulton and Brighton Lines.

This happened when I was going home to St George.

You're lucky. There was a realtor representing a few apartments in my building. She was coming from Brooklyn all the up to Riverdale. Took a while but she got both places filled at $1,800. Not a bad deal on commission.

Depends on the time of day. If you're talking middays, I'd actually say the majority of ridership comes from intra-island riders. Students, people going shopping, etc. If you take a route like the S48, off-hand, you see heavy ridership westbound at Victory & Bay, Forest & Broadway, and Forest & Richmond. In the evenings, though I'd agree that most of the ridership comes from the ferry terminal.

Since another boat was 5-10 minutes behind us, instead of making bus riders downline wait another two minutes for us to board, the dispatchers opted to double load the 7:45 buses.

I dunno how these people keep their jobs.

Nah, let's be realistic, if you were the first person to get out to the ramps, it would've taken another five minutes for them to board everybody, at which point, the buses would've been 15 minutes late heading out (matter of fact, at the Mariners Harbor Civic Association meeting, we were actually talking about buses bunching to and from the ferry).

In your case, the 7:45pm S52 is designed to just miss the people coming off the 7:45pm arrival (those people are supposed to take the 7:50pm S42 or 8:00pm S52). So that bus should've just loaded up and left instead of waiting for arrivals from that ferry.

The only routes that should've had buses held should've been the S44, S48, and maybe the S42 (since it's basically a short-turn S52).

I didn't say the X16 was around after 2000, but it still hasn't been around that long in my book. You can dispute the Jazmuah story if you like but it is one that various express bus passengers tell vividly that lived on Staten Island well before you did. I don't think they have a reason to lie. The X30 was not around that long, that's for sure.

He ran the #144 with crap service, but he never ran those "via NJ" express bus lines I mentioned. Those went from Academy to Atlantic Express and eventually back to Academy. 

Depends on the time of day. If you're talking middays, I'd actually say the majority of ridership comes from intra-island riders. Students, people going shopping, etc. If you take a route like the S48, off-hand, you see heavy ridership westbound at Victory & Bay, Forest & Broadway, and Forest & Richmond. In the evenings, though I'd agree that most of the ridership comes from the ferry terminal.

Nah, let's be realistic, if you were the first person to get out to the ramps, it would've taken another five minutes for them to board everybody, at which point, the buses would've been 15 minutes late heading out (matter of fact, at the Mariners Harbor Civic Association meeting, we were actually talking about buses bunching to and from the ferry).

In your case, the 7:45pm S52 is designed to just miss the people coming off the 7:45pm arrival (those people are supposed to take the 7:50pm S42 or 8:00pm S52). So that bus should've just loaded up and left instead of waiting for arrivals from that ferry.

The only routes that should've had buses held should've been the S44, S48, and maybe the S42 (since it's basically a short-turn S52).

He ran the #144 with crap service, but he never ran those "via NJ" express bus lines I mentioned. Those went from Academy to Atlantic Express and eventually back to Academy.

Well I'm sure the people that he left stranded on the side of the road in NJ would beg to differ. While we're speaking about him, how unprofessional to continuously run services so poorly and leave people stranded (literally).

---

Random thought. Whatever happened to that guy in Bay Ridge running express bus service? Is he still around or did he come already?

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

So apparently the old express buses with the green signage can't fit "BxM18" into one reading on the back sign...

I just saw pictures of one of the 2900s where the sign splits into two readings "BxM" then "18".

lol... They tend to run those in the evening during the earlier runs. I always see newer buses on the BxM18 in the morning...

Speaking of express buses, what's the story with the guy in Bay Ridge? Did he fold already?

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

lol... They tend to run those in the evening during the earlier runs. I always see newer buses on the BxM18 in the morning...

Speaking of express buses, what's the story with the guy in Bay Ridge? Did he fold already?

I haven't heard of that guy since that article came out, so I'm assuming he folded.

You're lucky. There was a realtor representing a few apartments in my building. She was coming from Brooklyn all the up to Riverdale. Took a while but she got both places filled at $1,800. Not a bad deal on commission.

Especially if it was an exclusive and she was at 50% or higher split with the broker.

I got 6 to do before I can get to 50%. Shits harder than selling insurance (my previous career).

Especially if it was an exclusive and she was at 50% or higher split with the broker.

I got 6 to do before I can get to 50%. Shits harder than selling insurance (my previous career).

Well they did all sorts of crap to get those units closed.  While they are nice, quite frankly for the square footage, they are not worth $1,800.00 (these are lofts with balconies), but they marketed them as true 1 bedrooms to charge $1,800.00, and since they were gut renovated, they found a few suckers to go for it by throwing in a few freebies. lol If priced right, I think you'll be fine. I mean it's a lot of leg work for you, but this is the season to close on them if you're going to do it.  I closed on my first place here in the states in the dead of winter (January).  Went up to Riverdale God knows how many times on the express bus speaking with the broker about XY and Z.  It was like a second job. If you have a reasonable management company, you'll be fine.

Is there a particular reason why the M66 and M72 only use RTS's?

IIRC it's pretty much because of the 65th Street Transverse and because they don't want to run the risk of having the hybrids scratch their batteries inside the tunnels there.

Edited by r142a 7795

IIRC it's pretty much because of the 65th Street Transverse and because they don't want to run the risk of having the hybrids scratch their batteries inside the tunnels there.

That's basically the reason.  At some point they'll have to switch to different buses though. Can't use those RTS buses forever...

Buses can fit in there guys. It's politics. Quill doesn't wanna get rid of the RTS until it retires, and that's why along with East New York they have notoriously has the best RTS fleets since the 80's. A piece of history will be gone, so a long time ago someone floated the rumor online that other buses can't go through there. It's true the RTS is the lowest and for safety reasons especially when I comes to inexperienced drivers, MTA has granted Quill's request and keep them all RTS runs. That day however is coming to an end in 2019 and completely in 2020. Unless MTA overhauled some buses that era is coming to an end. The only buses that we have are hybrids, the LFS and the XD40. Something will going on those lines.

East New York cried like babies when they brought the LFS in and took the RTS. Now EN went from having 0 to having more that 50 of the best buses in the city. Quill drivers would probably call in sick if they did it there! Lol Hell, EC drivers sure did and demanded they keep a few RTS or they weren't coming in to work..... People don't play about these buses have have lied or made up rumors just to get them....

Quill was supposed to be RTS free almost 4 years ago. Then again, the only buses that are supposed to still be here are 4900-5249, but we still have 21 years old buses running out of Queens. MTA told them you can get new buses or keep these and have been really against sending any 94/95/9600 series buses. They said fine... We will keep the old stuff then. A veteran driver at JK always keeps an RTS out late and they are not even wantwd on the streets after rush. They aren't even needed at EN, Quill or Ulmer at night, but whoever wants them can usually get them...

This is the most iconic bus ever, even more so than the Fishbowl at this point and MTA has has tried to keep them as long as possible and will now go down in history as the best maintainer of the RTS AND the Detroit Diesel ever.

I'm gonna miss that damn bus in recenue...... But it's ok, I've consulted with TMC, and Nova and worked as a contractor for Millennium. I've had one of my own and I'm getting another one so I will be A-OK! #DreamsFulfilled

Edited by East New York

Buses can fit in there guys. It's politics. Quill doesn't wanna get rid of the RTS until it retires that's why along with East New York they have notoriously has the best RTS fleets since the 80's. A piece of history will be gone, so a long time ago someone gloated the rumor online that other buses can't go through there. It's true the RTS is the lowest and for safety reasons especially when I comes to inexperienced drivers, MTA has granted Quill's request and keep them all RTS runs. That day however is coming to an end in 2019 and completely in 2020. Unless MTA overhauled some buses that era is coming to an end. The only buses that we have are hybrids, the LFS and the XD40. Something will going on those lines.

That's what I figured, I've seen LFSAs deadhead through there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Very interesting. Thank you for the rundown, ENY. Would I be correct in speculating that XDE40s will probably be their replacements?

I doubted because Manhattanville are supposed to get all 75 orders of XDE40's if Im correct. Plus 10 more I think.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk