BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Bro thats sad that they don't give those drivers time to learn routes. They should have the option for a veteran B/O to do overtime by letting him/her ride with a newbie along for their shift, until they become familiar with the route.

This is why bus service has problems. You got all these newbies that don't know where they are going, so they mess the schedule up and that produces bunching. Then some don't know how to maneuver around in traffic. The fact that they get paid to be late; you got the guys who are money hungry and will just run late all day. Dispatchers not doing their jobs during rush hour of putting buses in place(this is the best time since buses run frequent).

Bus service will never be near perfect. Even if there wasn't any traffic (explains why buses bunch at 2am).

With Staten Island, we learn (& drive) ALL the local routes with operators with no less than 3 or 5 years on the job in about four weeks (EXCEPT transfers from other boroughs), express is taught for about two weeks. Express is done a little differently, with a non-revenue bus.

All I will say is that it is a new experience for newbies - obviously and that we all have to start somewhere.

I believe that x1 trip was the new BO's first day or two on his own. Personally, it took me about two weeks to get all x1 stops committed to memory, I know them all and where my regulars get on/off.

Anyways in regards to onboarding new bus operators -

The first 10 days or so that a new B/O starts is really a "qualification" period, not necessarily a training. At Zerega we were told specifically that they are not a "school" and while they acknowledge (paraphrasing) that some people who would otherwise be safe and proficient operators would fall through the cracks and not make it because they need more time (beyond the ten days) to prove themselves. 

Once a B/O qualifies they will go into a four week depot line training programme as students to acclimate themselves to operating in revenue service. They are evaluated by the operator (who volunteers to have students) they work with that day.

Edited by 161NewYork

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Staten Island, we learn (& drive) ALL the local routes with operators with no less than 3 or 5 years on the job in about four weeks (EXCEPT transfers from other boroughs), express is taught for about two weeks. Express is done a little differently, with a non-revenue bus.

All I will say is that it is a new experience for newbies - obviously and that we all have to start somewhere.

I believe that x1 trip was the new BO's first day or two on his own. Personally, it took me about two weeks to get all x1 stops committed to memory, I know them all and where my regulars get on/off.

Anyways in regards to onboarding new bus operators -

The first 10 days or so that a new B/O starts is really a "qualification" period, not necessarily a training. At Zerega we were told specifically that they are not a "school" and while they acknowledge (paraphrasing) that some people who would otherwise be safe and proficient operators would fall through the cracks and not make it because they need more time (beyond the ten days) to prove themselves. 

Once a B/O qualifies they will go into a four week depot line training programme as students to acclimate themselves to operating in revenue service. They are evaluated by the operator (who volunteers to have students) they work with that day.

They aren't a school huh? Incredible. There needs to be a better support system for B/O's, but at the same time, I understand the point. It's a give and take situation. The B/O's are being paid to do a job, so it isn't just about showing and driving a bus, but also knowing the stops and providing courteous service.

It gets really scary, when a B/O asks, "Do I turn here?" or "Do I stop here?" For the most part, I've gotten, "Do I connect to this route?" I thought those paddles tell them everything they need to know.

Supposedly they've made the run sheets more "simple", with the only things listed being the main timepoints. I don't like that at all because too many B/O's run hot then sit around at the time points killing time, or they leave the terminal late on purpose to avoid running hot and then they NEVER get back on time. It leads to a chronic lateness/early problem.

Supposedly they've made the run sheets more "simple", with the only things listed being the main timepoints. I don't like that at all because too many B/O's run hot then sit around at the time points killing time, or they leave the terminal late on purpose to avoid running hot and then they NEVER get back on time. It leads to a chronic lateness/early problem.

That's exactly it. I've seen paddles with a thousand and one time points (assuming the route is really long like the M3 or M101). It's not like many of these routes have 2 or 3 mile non-stop stretches

That's exactly it. I've seen paddles with a thousand and one time points (assuming the route is really long like the M3 or M101). It's not like many of these routes have 2 or 3 mile non-stop stretches

I don't think it's acceptable to go running hot and then sit at a timepoint telling passengers you're 5 minutes early so we're sitting here. That means you've skipped a bunch of stops early.

All the paddle shows is their hour work with the pay. What time they report, the run #, pull out time for first half, the sign they are supposed to use for the route. Some time points along the route, their pull in time, swing time(break time), pull out time for second shift, more time points for their second shift, and their final pull in and clearing time(end of work time). At the bottom it lists transfers along whatever route they have and at which stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got word, the MTA will not be doing the Long Island Railroad Shuttles this summer. Governor saw that the runs were damn near 59+ hours each, and revoked the work.

Shuttles will be operated by Coach USA. Buses will come in from the midwest from Dillions and Butler to help out.

B/Os with 12 hour runs basically have that now...damnn Cuomo...

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Yeah but truth be told, they have the equipment to handle a shuttle of that size compared to us.

Makes sense. Well thats good for bus depots, don't have to worry about shortages, they can focus on regular subway shuttles.

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

I don't think it's acceptable to go running hot and then sit at a timepoint telling passengers you're 5 minutes early so we're sitting here. That means you've skipped a bunch of stops early.

It might've meant the difference between some of those passengers on-board catching a connecting bus or not. I'd rather they hold at a timepoint than just some random stop (and I'd rather they hold at a stop than just drive slowly between timepoints). 

Like for example, one time on the S44, I caught a nice empty bus who went a couple of stops, and then sat there for like 6-7 minutes while an S89 passed us. If he had made it to Forest Avenue (the next timepoint) I could've just jumped on that S89 and kept going (since he was holding at a local-only stop). Or if he had just held at Victory (another timepoint), the S89 would've came first and I would've been on it anyway.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

Question: if the B24 terminates at Greenpoint Avenue and Manhattan Avenue (as indicated by BusTime, the B24 timetable and the bus stop signs in the neighborhood), then why does the destination sign for the B24 say "GREENPOINT WEST ST"?

And then that begs the question: why does the B24 stop at Manhattan Av on the northwest corner then continue to West Street and loop back around to Manhattan Av and terminate there on the southwest corner, as opposed to just terminating at West Street?

Question: if the B24 terminates at Greenpoint Avenue and Manhattan Avenue (as indicated by BusTime, the B24 timetable and the bus stop signs in the neighborhood), then why does the destination sign for the B24 say "GREENPOINT WEST ST"?

And then that begs the question: why does the B24 stop at Manhattan Av on the northwest corner then continue to West Street and loop back around to Manhattan Av and terminate there on the southwest corner, as opposed to just terminating at West Street?

It sometimes depends on the run, and how empty the bus is to a degree.

I have seen times where buses went straight to West Street with people on-board, and other times where buses would drop off at Manhattan Avenue and just come back around both in service and not in service. A part of me thinks that they go straight back to the depot, deadhead back to the Bridge Plaza or interline with another run when they come back NIS. Often times, I have seen buses come back empty from West Street in service. My assumption is that they don't really pick up any people from the West Street Side until they get to Manhattan Avenue.

Too many b/o's doing too many things (whether instructed to do so or not) on that end of the route & I'd like an answer to the overall gist of what you're asking, myself.... Now the MTA's been improving things when it comes to the destination signs on the buses, but this route in-particular is one they have to eventually have to get around to (and quite frankly, clear up the ambiguity of what the end terminals are)....

Most the Greenpoint bound B24's I see tend to empty out/stop dead at the Leonard stop (leaving people to walk the 1/2 block or w/e to Manhattan av) instead of the actual Manhattan av stop (on the NW corner there).... Where they layover at anywhere b/w there & the Williamsburg bound stop at Manhattan av (on the SW corner) is anyone's guess from that point.... I've even seen buses layover on Franklin, before the turn....

Too many b/o's doing too many things (whether instructed to do so or not) on that end of the route & I'd like an answer to the overall gist of what you're asking, myself.... Now the MTA's been improving things when it comes to the destination signs on the buses, but this route in-particular is one they have to eventually have to get around to (and quite frankly, clear up the ambiguity of what the end terminals are)....

Most the Greenpoint bound B24's I see tend to empty out/stop dead at the Leonard stop (leaving people to walk the 1/2 block or w/e to Manhattan av) instead of the actual Manhattan av stop (on the NW corner there).... Where they layover at anywhere b/w there & the Williamsburg bound stop at Manhattan av (on the SW corner) is anyone's guess from that point.... I've even seen buses layover on Franklin, before the turn....

I've seen two buses on Friday evening lay over at that spot. I had to deliver a package to some gallery nearby, and saw two different buses lay over on Franklin. What kills me about the B24 is how that line has a tendency to bunch at times....the line as a whole is a very strangely set up route.

On a similar note, after I was done with those deliveries, I walked along the Queens-bound portion of the B32 route. It was interesting to see the kind of usage the line gets at Greenpoint Avenue, India Street and the rest of the stops going towards the Pulaski Bridge.

(I also didnt realize until that day, that it was the same bridge you see before you enter/after you leave the Queens-Midtown tunnel, I'm an idiot.)

Edited by Cait Sith

It sometimes depends on the run, and how empty the bus is to a degree.

I have seen times where buses went straight to West Street with people on-board, and other times where buses would drop off at Manhattan Avenue and just come back around both in service and not in service. A part of me thinks that they go straight back to the depot, deadhead back to the Bridge Plaza or interline with another run when they come back NIS. Often times, I have seen buses come back empty from West Street in service. My assumption is that they don't really pick up any people from the West Street Side until they get to Manhattan Avenue.

I can think of other routes that empty out near the terminal and the buses are only using that area to reach a turnaround loop (e.g. The S62 in Travis). I don't see the point in having an asymmetrical pattern, though. If somebody lived in that area or was say, coming off the ferry, what's the point in making them walk those extra blocks? If the B/Os deadhead somewhere, just have them call the last stop West Street and turn around and go wherever they need to go (and vice versa if they happen to be deadheading to that part of the B24 route)

I've seen two buses on Friday evening lay over at that spot. I had to deliver a package to some gallery nearby, and saw two different buses lay over on Franklin. What kills me about the B24 is how that line has a tendency to bunch at times....the line as a whole is a very strangely set up route.

On a similar note, after I was done with those deliveries, I walked along the Queens-bound portion of the B32 route. It was interesting to see the kind of usage the line gets at Greenpoint Avenue, India Street and the rest of the stops going towards the Pulaski Bridge.

(I also didnt realize until that day, that it was the same bridge you see before you enter/after you leave the Queens-Midtown tunnel, I'm an idiot.)

A good portion of the Williamsburg end of the route is a bit of a chokepoint; you gotta deal with the truck route that is Metropolitan av, as well as the bridge approach (Meeker) & the bridge itself.... This is what throws everything out of whack with the B24.....

Lol... I used to walk that bridge a lot; on a good (brisk) day, I still would... Matter fact, I did it about a month or so ago when I last took the B43 from Broadway to the last stop..... Although it was long overdue, it looks kind of weird now that they have separate lanes for peds & bicyclists....

The B62 I've pretty much given up on.... If I'm coming from Flushing or whatever, I take the (7) the extra stop to Court Sq for the B32, over getting off at QBP for the B62... I've had it with the BS that involves as many buses arriving at QBP & turning around & going OOS, instead of going in service, downtown bound..... I'm inclined to believe you have riders that have caught onto that too - as I have noticed more people waving off/letting B62's go, to wait for the B32 at the infamous 11th st stop back towards Bk..... Not to mention the asinine double parking that has always plagued Manhattan av. also being a factor.... A route with a higher headway feeling more reliable - imagine that...

While I still think more should be done with the B32 in terms of increasing its footprint, the fact that it's taken the amt. of riders off the B62 that it has, one should have seen coming..... As for (riding) the B24, to me it's always had that odd feel to it - regardless of the fact that the route is structured how it is..... Can't really explain it.

The service span on the B32 is ridiculous. You're gonna tell me a bus through the Williamsburg waterfront stops running at 9:00PM? And its every 30 minutes? Nonsense. 

That route needs 15 minute headways and an increased service span pronto...

That's what they give all these dinky shuttles; you don't get the full enchilada with a starter kit....

I hate the fact that service ends at 9pm also, but being objective, I'm not so sure if buses should be running too late in that area (yet).....

Now a headway increase I'm fully with you on; every 15 may be too big of a jump yet, but I'm quite certain 20 at the minimum would make a world of difference for those folks.....

The service span on the B32 is ridiculous. You're gonna tell me a bus through the Williamsburg waterfront stops running at 9:00PM? And its every 30 minutes? Nonsense. 

That's what they give all these dinky shuttles; you don't get the full enchilada with a starter kit....

I hate the fact that service ends at 9pm also, but being objective, I'm not so sure if buses should be running too late in that area (yet).....

Now a headway increase I'm fully with you on; every 15 may be too big of a jump yet, but I'm quite certain 20 at the minimum would make a world of difference for those folks.....

The B32 will have 20 minute headways in the AM rush starting next month. At the very least something's being added (although I agree that 30 minute headways is not the way to go).

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

That's the same with the East New York-Spring Creek shuttle. But, that route necessarily needs to be extended plus some increased headways.

That's the same with the East New York-Spring Creek shuttle. But, that route necessarily needs to be extended plus some increased headways.

Nice avatar.... I still have one of those in my old wallet (of old coins).... Good times man, good times....

The B32 will have 20 minute headways in the AM rush starting next month.

At the very least something's being added (although I agree that 30 minute headways is not the way to go).

Well there you go.

As i said in the sbs thread to speed up the buses they should enforce once the doors close they are GONE especially those who already pulled away from the stop. what do you say?

I'd say it's pretty damn rude and I'd file a complaint as I have in the past. Yesterday, I'm walking over to get the X28 back to the city, and I'm thinking damn, just missed it, so I slow down, since I was tracking the bus on BusTime and only saw one of them appear on it. Next thing I know, there's ANOTHER X28. I said no way am I missing this one. He had left the stop, but I was not interested in waiting God knows how long for the next one. I knocked on his door as if to say can you let me on? He hesitated originally, but then agreed to open the door. He seemed puzzled as to why I didn't get the other one, and I explained that I had just missed the guy ahead of him and thanked him for letting me on, and he said that he was glad he could help out. I'm sure it saved me at least 30 minutes to an hour commuting and waiting.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8