BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the rule bus operators are supposed to follow is pickups only in the stop. If they pull away, its a violation to reopen the doors and let someone on.

If they see a passenger running for the bus and they close the door and pull away, which has happened, then I just file a complaint.  I know a B/O would use the excuse of well it's not safe, and to that I'd say, well what about all of the B/O's that pick up in the street?  I've almost been run over a few times now because of such carelessness.  I had to jump back on the curb because some guy came flying around the bus, but in all honesty, it's the B/O's job to pull into the curb.  The driver that came around the corner is assuming the bus isn't picking up anyone and is coming into a lane that appears to be open.

If they see a passenger running for the bus and they close the door and pull away, which has happened, then I just file a complaint.  I know a B/O would use the excuse of well it's not safe, and to that I'd say, well what about all of the B/O's that pick up in the street?  I've almost been run over a few times now because of such carelessness.  I had to jump back on the curb because some guy came flying around the bus, but in all honesty, it's the B/O's job to pull into the curb.  The driver that came around the corner is assuming the bus isn't picking up anyone and is coming into a lane that appears to be open.

I spoke to a driver regarding this, it's all to prevent lawsuits. If the person get injured on the street, the bus operators job is on the line

I spoke to a driver regarding this, it's all to prevent lawsuits. If the person get injured on the street, the bus operators job is on the line

I know and that's precisely why the bus should be pulled into the curb when making stops. It's half @ssed to say once the driver is out of the stop, he or she can't pick up, but yet you can have a driver make every pick-up in the street. No difference in either scenario.

If they see a passenger running for the bus and they close the door and pull away, which has happened, then I just file a complaint. I know a B/O would use the excuse of well it's not safe, and to that I'd say, well what about all of the B/O's that pick up in the street? I've almost been run over a few times now because of such carelessness. I had to jump back on the curb because some guy came flying around the bus, but in all honesty, it's the B/O's job to pull into the curb. The driver that came around the corner is assuming the bus isn't picking up anyone and is coming into a lane that appears to be open.

If an operator is observed opening the door after leaving the stop by an undercover rider, he can be disciplined.

It's not a joke. And it's an official rule.

As far as the operator not curbing the bus, there's many factors that are just reasoning for why the bus isn't all the way to the curb.

Obstructed stops, double parked vehicles , a lot of times, the BO HAS to double park so that the rear of the bus isn't in the intersection, if there's another vehicle in the stop taking up space.

People think BOs are jerks. But most of the time, they are covering their tails.

And some of the time, they are jerks.

Hope this gives some insight.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

If an operator is observed opening the door after leaving the stop by an undercover rider, he can be disciplined.

It's not a joke. And it's an official rule.

As far as the operator not curbing the bus, there's many factors that are just reasoning for why the bus isn't all the way to the curb.

Obstructed stops, double parked vehicles , a lot of times, the BO HAS to double park so that the rear of the bus isn't in the intersection, if there's another vehicle in the stop taking up space.

People think BOs are jerks. But most of the time, they are covering their tails.

And some of the time, they are jerks.

Hope this gives some insight.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

All true, and then there are some that just don't like having to pull in and out of the stop, so they just pick up practically in the middle of the street.  When there is nothing obstructing the stop, then that's what it is.  

All true, and then there are some that just don't like having to pull in and out of the stop, so they just pick up practically in the middle of the street. When there is nothing obstructing the stop, then that's what it is.

Being angled in the bus stop is highly frowned upon since that leaves the back of your bus open to accidents, especially when pulling out of stops.

They rather you pull up parallel to the stop instead of being angled into it.

Being angled in the bus stop is highly frowned upon since that leaves the back of your bus open to accidents, especially when pulling out of stops.

Yeah I know. That's exactly how I almost got ran over at 61st and 3rd trying to board a BxM1 bus...  <_<

I understand the whole thing about not opening the doors after leaving a stop. I have no problem if they say "no". What I hate is when they ignore you. I'm knocking on the door and you just gonna ignore me like I'm a desperate POS, then make me look stupid by pulling off. Some drivers open the door, and people say thank you. I HATE when the driver reopens the door for someone and they just walk to the back or don't pay.

So, to avoid the embarrassment, I'd make eye contact with them and give them a signal, no response I'll keep it moving, if they open the door, I'll run to the bus, say thank you, and pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they see a passenger running for the bus and they close the door and pull away, which has happened, then I just file a complaint.

Well, I can see the logic behind the general rule: If the bus pulling out means that the driver can make a certain traffic light while it's green instead of missing it, then (depending on the frequency of the bus, the length of the light cycle, and how many people are on board), in general it means the cumulative time saved by the people on board will be greater than the time lost by the person who missed the bus. Also, at some super-busy stops on frequent routes (e.g. Utica & Eastern on the B46), the B/O might want to just keep things moving, and close the doors as soon as there's a gap in passengers, because if he opens the door for some running passengers, more will get on and he might miss the next light.

If a B/O pulls out and ends up just sitting at a red light and it's not a busy stop, then I agree that's stupid, but the rules aren't nuanced enough to take such situations into account.

I also notice whenever I'm on an artic the drivers tend to straighten out the bus as much as they can whenever they're pulling into a stop.

Oh wow, I didn't know B63's Have signs to Atlantic Avenue and short-turned there.

There's a bunch of short turn signs for the B63. Off the top of my head, there's the one for Atlantic Av and ones for the school on 18 St-7 Av, 36 St, 39 St-5 Av, 86 Street and there used to be ones for Bergen St and Bay Ridge Av but I don't know if they're still there.

Question: Saw LGA XD40 7448 working the Q70 SBS with the older Q70 Limited signage. When destination signs for a new SBS route are programmed, do they overwrite the Limited sign program or do they assign the SBS program a new code

I was in Flushing for an internship, and wanted to stay at a friends for easy access. I just rode the Q44 for the first time, LOVED IT! I love Xcelsiors, but nope, these new XD60s are garbage, I waited for a Nova, 5913. Mann, those LFSAs are loud on the inside, the B/O was honestly whippin the bus. I've never seen an artic driven like that before. I'm also loving the automated announcements now, everything was just great tonight.

I hope these new LFSAs coming in sound just like the last batch, with that HVAC roar, not that annoying whining XD60 nonsense.

Speaking of those announcements and screens, they're starting to get messed up. 5911 had a frozen screen when I was on it today, and 5915 was just weird. It kept restarting every time it loads up, so it would completely blackout and then start up again and play the announcement. As soon as it plays the announcement, it goes black again and repeated the whole ride. Sometimes, instead of blacking out and restarting, the computer would blue screen (they had Windows 8 or 10 in German I'm pretty sure) and then start back up. Weird stuff. 

Edited by R188 7857

I was in Flushing for an internship, and wanted to stay at a friends for easy access. I just rode the Q44 for the first time, LOVED IT! I love Xcelsiors, but nope, these new XD60s are garbage, I waited for a Nova, 5913. Mann, those LFSAs are loud on the inside, the B/O was honestly whippin the bus. I've never seen an artic driven like that before. I'm also loving the automated announcements now, everything was just great tonight.

I hope these new LFSAs coming in sound just like the last batch, with that HVAC roar, not that annoying whining XD60 nonsense.

Now this is a post I can fully agree with. The XD60's are shiny and new but that's the end of that. The annoying brake interlock and the whining really gets on your nerves. Those bus operators have become pros when it comes to handling the LFSA, that's really the only vehicle they operate and they can haul serious ass. The HVAC roar is awesome along with the occasional engine backfire.May I ask what portion of the route you were riding in? I know the Main St corridor south of Downtown Flushing is really where it shines, but there is also a 20mph curve coming off the Whitestone Br that ops take at like 40 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Now this is a post I can fully agree with. The XD60's are shiny and new but that's the end of that. The annoying brake interlock and the whining really gets on your nerves. Those bus operators have become pros when it comes to handling the LFSA, that's really the only vehicle they operate and they can haul serious ass. The HVAC roar is awesome along with the occasional engine backfire.May I ask what portion of the route you were riding in? I know the Main St corridor south of Downtown Flushing is really where it shines, but there is also a 20mph curve coming off the Whitestone Br that ops take at like 40 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Exactly! If they do order more Xcelsiors, just make them ZFs. The MTA bus batch is a great batch of XD60s. I dont understand the point of getting Allisons, just to put LBSS on it, when ZFs are cheaper.

I rode the Q44 Jamaica bound from Union-31st to Sutphin-Jamaica for the LIRR.

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

They practically sound like the newest LFSs we have.

Totally agreed..... that noise sucks monkeyballs.

And those flerkin' interlocks..... what is it with the (MTA) and these crazy interlocks?? The 7000s, now these XD60s..... what a nuisance [emoji19][emoji19]

I'm not crazy about the new LFSA's either TBO.

Edited by Missabassie

They practically sound like the newest LFSs we have.

I'd take that, the 2015 Novas sound pretty damn good too. Especially that 4th gear howl they make.

Totally agreed..... that noise sucks monkeyballs.

And those flerkin' interlocks..... what is it with the (MTA) and these crazy interlocks?? The 7000s, now these XD60s..... what a nuisance [emoji19][emoji19]

I'm not crazy about the new LFSA's either TBO.

Yeah all that interlocking nonsense is ridiculous. The new Novas jerk every time before the bus moves. The Orion VII diesels have the best ones.

So let me get this straight: You were tracking the bus on BusTime, and eventually see two Bay Ridge-bound buses heading your way, but the first one to show up actually was signed as heading to 60th Street (in which case, BusTime should've made that distinction, unless that decision was made at the last minute)? So I guess that explains how it got ahead (since people heading south of 60th just waved it off). 

I do agree that buses should be short-turned according to ridership patterns.

Yes, I was tracking it, and the first bus that passed was signed to "60 ST". Must have been a very sudden decision, because there were people getting off and switching buses at 60 Street. Where the bus went after, IDK (certainly not back to the depot, as it continued south on Fort Hamilton Parkway well into the 70s.