BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

No date has been released yet. But there are SBS fare machines installed already along 163rd and they are creating the bus island stop at Sheridan Avenue.

IIRC, it was supposed to be in September. They did release some type of schedule for the next few +SBS+ routes (I think the Q52/53 and B82 had set dates as well)

If an express bus is full, can passengers still board the bus or wait for another one to arrive? 

Traditionally, the rule is that unless it's the last bus of the day, you have to wait for the next one. However, that is not always followed.

You may be biased because you live near MTA Bus express routes. On those, from what I've heard, the B/Os try to avoid carrying standees. But out here in SI, I've been on plenty of SRO express buses (mostly the X17A/C/J, though the X10 can have its moments too. I don't even have to get started on the X1 and its variants lol)

Edited by checkmatechamp13

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IIRC, it was supposed to be in September. They did release some type of schedule for the next few +SBS+ routes (I think the Q52/53 and B82 had set dates as well)

You may be biased because you live near MTA Bus express routes. On those, from what I've heard, the B/Os try to avoid carrying standees. But out here in SI, I've been on plenty of SRO express buses (mostly the X17A/C/J, though the X10 can have its moments too. I don't even have to get started on the X1 and its variants.

If I had to stand on the express bus I would be pissed. Queens buses are never that bad. Although, I did see a Midtown bd  QM15 that was near SRO the other day and this was late in the rush like 8:40 AM. 

If I had to stand on the express bus I would be pissed. Queens buses are never that bad. Although, I did see a Midtown bd  QM15 that was near SRO the other day and this was late in the rush like 8:40 AM. 

That's the thing: In Queens, there's generally reasonable alternatives. You can generally take the bus to the subway (or in a pinch, make your way to the LIRR) and still get to Manhattan in a quick amount of time. But on Staten Island, the express bus is generally much faster, so people pile on.

That may change because of how abysmal the subway has been. I've been getting on BxM2 buses that have been much more crowded than usual. Same goes for the BxM1. In fact the other day, got on at the second stop and the bus was already pretty crowded. I'm not sure where all of these people are coming from either, but I've been lucky to get a decent seat. It seems as if people from North Riverdale and especially Yonkers are starting to use the bus with more frequency, and if that's the case, the BxM2 in particular will be crowded because that bus is generally heavily used in Central Riverdale and especially down in Spuyten Duyvil. The bus can empty out at Kappock and Johnson and at Kappock and Knolls Crescent alone.

We had a guy that lived in Yonkers (by Broadway in fact) taking the BxM2. He was asking me where he should get off (at Broadway and 230th or Riverdale Avenue and 263rd). I was wondering why he wasn't taking the BxM3...

Operation-wise...for subway shuttles, why doesn't the MTA maintain a yard full of "hot spares" retired from active service that can be pressed into service as shuttles at one central location and have drivers volunteering to work a shuttle report to that yard and pick up a bus (or relieve another driver from that pool of buses)? Approximately 200 or so buses could be maintained this way.

On weekends, there's plenty of buses to spare for planned shutdowns. But, I mean for things that are unplanned like the A derailment it isn't a bad idea. But, they seemed to fill in ok for that. They tend to throw the worst of the RTS they have on the M shuttle anyways lol. 200 I think is too much. Maybe about 25-30 in case of an emergency situation.

On weekends, there's plenty of buses to spare for planned shutdowns. But, I mean for things that are unplanned like the A derailment it isn't a bad idea. But, they seemed to fill in ok for that. They tend to throw the worst of the RTS they have on the M shuttle anyways lol. 200 I think is too much. Maybe about 25-30 in case of an emergency situation.

and what about an all hands on deck situation if say the whole subway had to shut down due to emergency?

Does anyone have more information about those electronic countdown clocks that are currently being put up at various stops in the city? The program started in Staten Island I believe back in 2015 and now has expanded.

As far as new stops that I see have them now, I know I saw the Q18 has one on 30th Ave and Steinway, the Q19 has one on Astoria Blvd and 31st. The Q69/Q100 has a few of them. The Q47 has one at the corner of 82nd St and Astoria Blvd. The Q7, Q41 and Q112 actually have one at the Rockaway Blvd Station. I also seen a couple on the M101/M102/M103 and I know of the M66 stop on 68th and Lexington just because I go to Hunter. I like them, they are a little big and out of place but they are helpful in my opinion, I don't necessarily have to whip out my phone and check bustime.

Are these electronic countdown clocks being put up at every stop located at a major intersection or is it just being put at a handful of stops?

Edited by NewFlyer 230

Does anyone have more information about those electronic countdown clocks that are currently being put up at various stops in the city? The program started in Staten Island I believe back in 2015 and now has expanded.

As far as new stops that I see have them now, I know I saw the Q18 has one on 30th Ave and Steinway, the Q19 has one on Astoria Blvd and 31st. The Q69/Q100 has a few of them. The Q47 has one at the corner of 82nd St and Astoria Blvd. The Q7, Q41 and Q112 actually have one at the Rockaway Blvd Station. I also seen a couple on the M101/M102/M103 and I know of the M66 stop on 68th and Lexington just because I go to Hunter. I like them, they are a little big and out of place but they are helpful in my opinion, I don't necessarily have to whip out my phone and check bustime.

Are these electronic countdown clocks being put up at every stop located at a major intersection or is it just being put at a handful of stops?

Those clocks are generally being funded by different districts. Don't expect to see them everywhere, but they will be placed at high traffic areas.

There's a couple of them along the Bx3 route as well...

I think my question got caught in with a discussion, what were the left rights on the (M) shuttle buses and the (E) / (F) shuttle buses?

I only know some of it since I never actually rode it.

From 71st Avenue, its straight until Briarwood, F train shuttles go straight onto Queens Blvd until Hillside, Left on Hillside and straight to 179.

Es turn right onto the Van Wyck Expressway Service Road and heads straight to Jamaica Hospital. Depending on the operator, they'll either do a loop via turning right onto 89th, another right onto 134th and another right onto Jamaica Avenue, and then go straight to either 144th Place or 146th Street(I think it's 146th), left on Archer then straight to Jamaica Center, or from Jamaica Hospital, straight down the service road to Atlantic, left onto Atlantic, left back onto the service road and right onto Archer and then straight to Jamaica Center.

I don't know where they turn around, but Es start at Jamaica Center, straight down Archer to Sutphin, proceed from Sutphin to turn onto 138th Street, then left onto Jamaica Avenue, right onto the service road. Straight on the service road until Queens Blvd, left on Queens Blvd and straight to 71st Avenue.

I don't know the F's turnarounds, but it's practically simple, 179, straight down hillside, right on Queens Blvd and straight down Queens Blvd to 71st.

I only know some of it since I never actually rode it.

From 71st Avenue, its straight until Briarwood, F train shuttles go straight onto Queens Blvd until Hillside, Left on Hillside and straight to 179.

Es turn right onto the Van Wyck Expressway Service Road and heads straight to Jamaica Hospital. Depending on the operator, they'll either do a loop via turning right onto 89th, another right onto 134th and another right onto Jamaica Avenue, and then go straight to either 144th Place or 146th Street(I think it's 146th), left on Archer then straight to Jamaica Center, or from Jamaica Hospital, straight down the service road to Atlantic, left onto Atlantic, left back onto the service road and right onto Archer and then straight to Jamaica Center.

I don't know where they turn around, but Es start at Jamaica Center, straight down Archer to Sutphin, proceed from Sutphin to turn onto 138th Street, then left onto Jamaica Avenue, right onto the service road. Straight on the service road until Queens Blvd, left on Queens Blvd and straight to 71st Avenue.

I don't know the F's turnarounds, but it's practically simple, 179, straight down hillside, right on Queens Blvd and straight down Queens Blvd to 71st.

Adding on... For the turnarounds:

(E) shuttles run on Archer, terminate at 150th Street (near the Q4, 5, 42, etc. layover).  Then for the turnaround, the shuttles turn left onto 153rd Street, right on Jamaica Avenue, right on Parsons Blvd, right on Archer, then start service and head back to Forest Hills.

(F) shuttles run through Hillside, turning right on 175th Street, followed by a left on Jamaica Avenue, then another left on 179th Place, layover, then left on Hillside and back to Forest Hills.

As for the turnaround near Forest Hills, they turn at 70th Road (some turn onto 108th Street first, then 70th Road to Queens Blvd).

That was the route of the shuttles I rode on the 15th. Speaking of which, the (E) shuttles caused major delays on Jamaica Avenue. There were roughly 20 or so shuttles lined up around the block from Archer and 153rd over to Parsons, around to Jamaica and back again to 153rd. All of those buses were on the one eastbound lane on Jamaica Avenue, so pretty much no traffic could get through that block for a while...

and what about an all hands on deck situation if say the whole subway had to shut down due to emergency?

It has happened before whereas there was an entire subway shutdown in 1989 blackout. They used an entire fleet of the 6000 series fishbowls and the freshly rebuilt blitzes as subway replacements in Manhattan, while the RTS buses and the 9000 series Flxibles covered regular bus services. The last of the 1975 Flxibles remaining covered the Bronx subways, as they was on their last legs. At one point the line at 125th Street & Lexington Ave M101/102 stop was cramped up that it stretched as far as 123rd St.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Then what will become of the :bus_bullet_m14a: ?

SBS 14 after the L train comes back up, should become SBS 14D because the volume of people is plentiful.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Guessing not all buses have emoji enabled.

I believe that terminates in a different spot other than the :bus_Bullet_m14d: .

On those, from what I've heard, the B/Os try to avoid carrying standees.

Isn't carrying any standees on an Express or Coach bus against federal law?

Honestly I can't for the Bx6 to get SBS. That courthouse traffic is horrible in the mornings. Today it took 13 minutes to get from Yankee Stadium to Sheridan Avenue (1 stop away mind you). It usually happens but since they are making the eastbound tunnel bus only, maybe it will speed up travel time in the mornings. 

I always thought the :bus_bullet_bx4: was a more worthy candidate too since it operates between two hotspots (Westchester Sqaure and The Hub no pun intended) and like the M14, has a spinoff route, the :bus_bullet_bx4a: .

Edited by MassTransitHonchkrow

I'm not sure if I've ever seen the BxM4 on such a lengthy detour. A few times I needed it during one of those Dominican parades on parts of the Concourse and boy did I learn my lesson, which is take Metro-North or change your business plans and do them another day.

When I took the :bus_bullet_bxm3: from Getty Square one day, traffic got diverted because of an accident near the exit ramp on the Willis Avenue bridge. Thankfully we did NOT get lost.

But I do remember a Bee-Line operator taking a #5 bus down Dobbs Ferry Road by mistake. Halfway down, she says, "S*** I'm not on the #6 today!" and we make the tightest U-turn a Neoplan can make.

In somebody's driveway oval back toward Tarrytown Road.

We gave the riders at Manhattan Avenue a heart attack when they saw us go down the wrong way. They told us.

Edited by MassTransitHonchkrow

Agree.  I just think SC needs drivers that learn to shut up and drive. Those guys do too much damn yapping on the weekends. It's like hey don't you see how few people are on the buses now compared to before.  There's a reason for that...  <_<

I doubt any operator's talkative nature would drive me away. If anything, it'd be the other way around. I just find NYCT operators to be lifeless and stoic. Like they don't exist sometimes.

Probably why freeloaders skim right by without eye contact because they know the driver won't call them out.

I'm all for eyes on the road, but not with brains out the window though.

Vets have amazing stories to tell. It's how they pass the time. a lot of Bee-Line bus staff are vets too. and neighbors.

Wow, so I caught a Prevost on the last northbound S89 of the evening. I was at the Eltingville SIR station and thought it was just another X1/4/5 bus, but then I saw it said "Bayonne" and I'm like damn lol (It scrolled Limited -----> Bayonne ----> 34th Street/HBLR station)

Hmm I thought they fixed the local bus shortage already. Either way nice catch I would love to ride a prevost on the S89.

Hmm I thought they fixed the local bus shortage already. Either way nice catch I would love to ride a prevost on the S89.

It's not always a bus shortage. Remember that some Express runs are interlined with Local/Limited runs and that some B/O's will keep the same bus for their next trip thus, saving time rather than switching buses at the depot. Just a few weeks ago, I saw an MCI on the S89. Edited by S78 via Hylan

Is it me or the og hybrids have had crappy ac this summer? Well the ones out of eny at least, I remember riding ice cold ogs during of summer of 2010 out of that same depot, I wonder what's up.

Agreed. Not to go off topic here but it's funny to me how the R32 trains I've ridden have better AC than the R160s.