BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Typical MTA apologist response. No, the buses are not dragging down the MTA.  Have you seen (and read comments on this forum) on how the MTA has destroyed bus service in parts of the system?

You better write a $500+ check to me at the 1st of every month so I can deposit my check in order to take out taxi money. 

Are you kidding me??? Even if you were to suggest that, that is insane, to put it lightly.

That would increase traffic (even more) in Manhattan, and push some to use the (already) overcrowded subway. It would have drastic effects. Many of the midtown buses do get used at some point (within Midtown) along the route, so the corridors you see for the most part get their riders. Typically, buses are empty when buses bunch (unless your route is the M5 or M55). 

And as for Queens, what exactly would you cut. Most of the bus service in Queens are necessary. With the subway knocked out or having a moment every other day, the express bus service being inadequate for most residents, and the LIRR being worse off for most riders, buses are vital to Queens. To suggest cuts in Queens without actually knowing where you would cut and what you would cut shows no comprehension of the commute for commuters. It's not always possible to use the subway, and not everyone has the money for an uber, or taxi. 

Also, how ironic that I hear this from someone who tries to conserve money as much as possible. 

SBS isn't needed everywhere in this system.

So basically shaft express bus riders even more, in order to benefit you. Got it.

The MTA will be the death of the MTA.

Couldn't have said it better...

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The (MTA) is already planning cuts to some lines in Manhattan mainly on the crosstown routes which is a mistake. The last thing we should be doing is encouraging people to use Uber causing more congestion on the roads. That is already happening, as people ditch both buses and subways for the service. We have a finite amount of streets for cars and we need to maximize that accordingly. Having a few people in Ubers doesn't do that efficiently in any way shape or form.

I would support consolidating them into loops instead of cuts. Like merging the M31 & M57 or the M66 and the M72 and reducing the number of stops by 14%.

Cutting them is a mistake in my eyes. I don't mind walking across the borough but I don't think others will be so enthusiastic.

People throw $25 a day at vagrants. They can throw that at an Uber or yellow cab. I just don't see Manhattan as deserving of buses below 110th Street. They're snobs in my eyes. And that has less to do with deep pockets and more about deep-seated egos.

Typical MTA apologist response. No, the buses are not dragging down the MTA.  Have you seen (and read comments on this forum) on how the MTA has destroyed bus service in parts of the system?

You better write a $500+ check to me at the 1st of every month so I can deposit my check in order to take out taxi money. 

I never intended to relate to my suggestion. I'd rather walk than take a taxi, ever.

I am no apologist. You can criticize me without being slanderous. I don't see any of your ideas materializing, do I?

BM5 via Woodhaven Bl, on 26 Jul 2017 - 10:52 PM, said:snapback.png

So basically shaft express bus riders even more, in order to benefit you. Got it.

Why are you making this about me?

If anything, your sarcasm is misguided as it was just a suggestion. This is a random topic thread. Transit will fail whether or not my ideas ever see the light of day.

The MTA will destroy itself.

But there are interventions that can be done to mitigate those failures. Corruption runs deep and no one person should ever be expected to fix what's always been broken.

I want to again remind you that I support the dissolution of the MTA into entities that can better serve the needs of New Yorkers across the state as I've said, publicly and privately, that the MTA is an agency designed to fail New Yorkers.

And as for Queens, what exactly would you cut. Most of the bus service in Queens are necessary. With the subway knocked out or having a moment every other day, the express bus service being inadequate for most residents, and the LIRR being worse off for most riders, buses are vital to Queens. To suggest cuts in Queens without actually knowing where you would cut and what you would cut shows no comprehension of the commute for commuters. It's not always possible to use the subway, and not everyone has the money for an uber, or taxi. 

You should have started on this thought instead of replying to me in a condescending way. Again, I was seeking input as it is never fair for one suggestion to be heard over others, although this is exactly what winds up happening.

So by all means, keep up that heat. I've had it hotter. I just wish you'd direct that energy toward something that actually drains the swamp.

I'm often asked if I work for the MTA when I give directions. "I'd never work with people who are pretty much dead inside with the cotton on their eyes nice and thick."

Darius McCollum saw the booth as a shiny toy. All I see is blood everywhere and the same pained faces, same worn out places...

How do you operators cope with the trauma of running over a track intruder? It just happened at 72nd Street an hour ago too.

Hopefully not by lashing out at those who see transit differently than you but depend on it just as much.

Wow, where to begin:

I would support consolidating them into loops instead of cuts. Like merging the M31 & M57 or the M66 and the M72 and reducing the number of stops by 14%.

Cutting them is a mistake in my eyes. I don't mind walking across the borough but I don't think others will be so enthusiastic.

People throw $25 a day at vagrants. They can throw that at an Uber or yellow cab. I just don't see Manhattan as deserving of buses below 110th Street. They're snobs in my eyes. And that has less to do with deep pockets and more about deep-seated egos.

I never intended to relate to my suggestion. I'd rather walk than take a taxi, ever.

I am no apologist. You can criticize me without being slanderous. I don't see any of your ideas materializing, do I?

Listen, if you're trying to clap back at me with that last bit it won't work. Amazing how anything you do not like to here is automatic slander.

Why are you making this about me?

If anything, your sarcasm is misguided as it was just a suggestion. This is a random topic thread. Transit will fail whether or not my ideas ever see the light of day.

The MTA will destroy itself.

But there are interventions that can be done to mitigate those failures. Corruption runs deep and no one person should ever be expected to fix what's always been broken.

I want to again remind you that I support the dissolution of the MTA into entities that can better serve the needs of New Yorkers across the state as I've said, publicly and privately, that the MTA is an agency designed to fail New Yorkers.

Why is this about you? Because you're the one who mentioned it.

Also, asking that something needs to be done isn't just a mere suggestion. Most people on here already know about your desire to conserve, and your plethora of trips that you make, and whatnot.

Listen, people need to go to places. You can't just mess with their commutes because of your personal beliefs. You can continue walking across Manhattan, but not everyone has the personal free time to be roaming in the streets.

That express bus pass cut now makes sense, especially with your statements above. Listen, snobs are everywhere, not just within one income bracket. Your comments come off as someone who envies anyone who makes more money than you. Everyone is a snob below 110 Street, you have got to be joking. Yourr ideas would not only hurt the "snobs", but all the working-class/middle class people taking buses to get to work, to access medical care, or other destinations. Nice way to give the middle finger to those people too.

I'm glad your ideas are not touching the light of day anytime soon.

You should have started on this thought instead of replying to me in a condescending way. Again, I was seeking input as it is never fair for one suggestion to be heard over others, although this is exactly what winds up happening.

So by all means, keep up that heat. I've had it hotter. I just wish you'd direct that energy toward something that actually drains the swamp.

I'm often asked if I work for the MTA when I give directions. "I'd never work with people who are pretty much dead inside with the cotton on their eyes nice and thick."

Darius McCollum saw the booth as a shiny toy. All I see is blood everywhere and the same pained faces, same worn out places...

How do you operators cope with the trauma of running over a track intruder? It just happened at 72nd Street an hour ago too.

Hopefully not by lashing out at those who see transit differently than you but depend on it just as much.

No you weren't. Its clearly obvious with your "snob" statement that you have resentment towards those people. To propose everything you "proposed", saying that snobs are located below 110 Street in Manhattan after stating said cuts to Manhattan buses (merging services together is still a cut), and then saying it is just a proposal? Outta my face with all of that.

The rest of that latter quote, please come back to me when you practice what you preach.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

I took the X63 for the first time today. Decent ride. I might start fanning some of the QM Express routes soon.

QM routes are really different from the X routes in Queens x routes are far better in terms of quality the QM routes use older buses and have unreliable service. (But people have said they've been getting better and since I've been taking the LIRR recently I can't confirm that.)

But if you're interested my favorite QM routes are the QM2/2SPEXP/20/20SPEXP/32, QM3, QM5/5SPEXP/35, and QM7/8/8SPEXP

QM routes are really different from the X routes in Queens x routes are far better in terms of quality the QM routes use older buses and have unreliable service. (But people have said they've been getting better and since I've been taking the LIRR recently I can't confirm that.)

But if you're interested my favorite QM routes are the QM2/2SPEXP/20/20SPEXP/32, QM3, QM5/5SPEXP/35, and QM7/8/8SPEXP

Part of it is due to the QM's using the LIE. Some of the QM's on the outbound use the service road instead since the portion through Maspeth is one of the choke points on the outbound route. Another choke point is the turn from Van Dam onto Borden Avenue. The QM18 and QM21, which go along that path, should use Queens Boulevard since it's more free-flowing, and they eventually turn back onto Queens Boulevard.

The QM10/QM12 and friends should also use Queens Boulevard. There's already a drop-off only marker at Queens Boulevard and Woodhaven Boulevard (which is not far from the inbound stop anyways). 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

Why can't they just Kneecap those dollar vans?

To accomplish what? More people driving directly to work/school, being dropped off (by some relative or w/e) at some subway station, or taking uber's, etc...

Surely you know that the people that resort to dollar vans are people that have long been fed up with bus service at minimum....

Wow, where to begin:

Listen, if you're trying to clap back at me with that last bit it won't work. Amazing how anything you do not like to here is automatic slander.

Why is this about you? Because you're the one who mentioned it.

Also, asking that something needs to be done isn't just a mere suggestion. Most people on here already know about your desire to conserve, and your plethora of trips that you make, and whatnot.

Listen, people need to go to places. You can't just mess with their commutes because of your personal beliefs. You can continue walking across Manhattan, but not everyone has the personal free time to be roaming in the streets.

That express bus pass cut now makes sense, especially with your statements above. Listen, snobs are everywhere, not just within one income bracket. Your comments come off as someone who envies anyone who makes more money than you. Everyone is a snob below 110 Street, you have got to be joking. Yourr ideas would not only hurt the "snobs", but all the working-class/middle class people taking buses to get to work, to access medical care, or other destinations. Nice way to give the middle finger to those people too.

I'm glad your ideas are not touching the light of day anytime soon.

No you weren't. Its clearly obvious with your "snob" statement that you have resentment towards those people. To propose everything you "proposed", saying that snobs are located below 110 Street in Manhattan after stating said cuts to Manhattan buses (merging services together is still a cut), and then saying it is just a proposal? Outta my face with all of that.

The rest of that latter quote, please come back to me when you practice what you preach.

You must not have gotten the memo a few months ago....

The dude really thinks he has carte blanche to say whatever nonsense he wants to without having it go unchecked.... When the latter ends up happening, that person becomes the big bully - regardless of what's retorted in any level of dissenting discourse (happened to a few of us on here)..... Too stuck in his own bubble; his wants & desires should trump everyone else's actual transit needs..... It's far removed from just being suggestions with him.... It's the mindset & that much is clear - picked up on that shit during his (then) never-ending easy pay metrocard masturbatory session.....

I'm not getting into any specifics of this latest episode of his, as what's been said in responses by you & VG8 is all that needs to be said.... Well that, and I simply refuse to entertain his stupidity any further.... You all can continue to try to pound some sense of logic & reality into this character.....

I took the X63 for the first time today. Decent ride. I might start fanning some of the QM Express routes soon.

Miss fanning that route... I like that ride as well; would always ride it down to the end (a block away from Huxley), then do the whole Q113 (before the Q114 became a thing) to the (A) bit to get back to Brooklyn....

Anyway, how far down did you take it?

Part of it is due to the QM's using the LIE. Some of the QM's on the outbound use the service road instead since the portion through Maspeth is one of the choke points on the outbound route. Another choke point is the turn from Van Dam onto Borden Avenue. The QM18 and QM21, which go along that path, should use Queens Boulevard since it's more free-flowing, and they eventually turn back onto Queens Boulevard.

The QM10/QM12 and friends should also use Queens Boulevard. There's already a drop-off only marker at Queens Boulevard and Woodhaven Boulevard (which is not far from the inbound stop anyways). 

I whish express bus operators were given free range on where to go for the express portions. Most of them already know faster routes and can probably agree as a whole on a better route for every line.

Edited by IAlam