BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

For some weird reason, all 4 of the new XD60s at GH were on the Bx22 the entire day today. They didn't show up on any other route... just the Bx22. Yesterday as well, by 1 PM, 3 out of the 4 XD60s were on the Bx22 (with the other one on the Bx5). Just wanted to point that out...

Nothing weird about it. I find that on lines that get a lot of the older fleet, that those buses will see the newer fleet. That only makes sense. Why should passengers on some lines get the same run down buses over and over? People do pay attention and talk and complain. The buses should be used on lines where reliability has been problematic. The Bx22 and the Bx4A seem to get some really beat up buses likely taken off of the Bx12SBS and thrown on the local lines. Basically the Bx12SBS should not get all of the new buses while the other lines get the leftovers. Same deal has been happening with Kingsbridge. The M100 would often get the hand-me-downs. Since newer buses came in, a lot more of them see service on that line. Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is, until you consider that the Bx4/4A, Bx5, Bx12 Local, Bx39, Bx40, Bx41 Local, and Bx42 all use artics as well. Yesterday, there were three consecutive XD60's after like 1:30 PM or so departing Zerega Avenue (with the fourth on the Bx5).

Well the Bx12 should get their own fleet. I think it's total BS to go running new buses on that line constantly. The buses get run into the ground and everyone is paying to get on the rundown garbage from that line. I wouldn't be surprised if passengers from other lines spoke out similar to what happened on the Lex line and also with the X27 and X28 riders. We're all paying the same fare so new buses should be spread out across all lines. I'm sure the Bx4/4A and all of the other lines will see action as more of those new buses come out. Either way, some of the buses Gun Hill is sending out on the local lines outside of the Bx12 is appalling.

I'm of the belief that if the (MTA) has so many new buses coming in that they don't know what to do with... Well look around. There are plenty of buses around they could retire. I got on a local bus last week that was a disgrace. The hottest day of the year and no damn AC. No need to keep running buses like that when you have these new buses coming in. Get rid of the old ones OR if you want to keep them then maintain the damn things and fix the AC. If they're really improving the fleet then year after year, we should see fewer occurrences of such incidents. There should be enough new buses being rotated in that they can take those buses, fix them up and get them running properly. In 2017, riders are paying too much to keep dealing with conditions seen 20 years ago. Yes the fleet has improved, but the basics like AC and some level of cleanliness really is a must now and not a luxury.

Well the Bx12 should get their own fleet. I think it's total BS to go running new buses on that line constantly. The buses get run into the ground and everyone is paying to get on the rundown garbage from that line. I wouldn't be surprised if passengers from other lines spoke out similar to what happened on the Lex line and also with the X27 and X28 riders. We're all paying the same fare so new buses should be spread out across all lines. I'm sure the Bx4/4A and all of the other lines will see action as more of those new buses come out. Either way, some of the buses Gun Hill is sending out on the local lines outside of the Bx12 is appalling.

I'm of the belief that if the (MTA) has so many new buses coming in that they don't know what to do with... Well look around. There are plenty of buses around they could retire. I got on a local bus last week that was a disgrace. The hottest day of the year and no damn AC. No need to keep running buses like that when you have these new buses coming in. Get rid of the old ones OR if you want to keep them then maintain the damn things and fix the AC. If they're really improving the fleet then year after year, we should see fewer occurrences of such incidents. There should be enough new buses being rotated in that they can take those buses, fix them up and get them running properly. In 2017, riders are paying too much to keep dealing with conditions seen 20 years ago. Yes the fleet has improved, but the basics like AC and some level of cleanliness really is a must now and not a luxury.

It's not possible to assign buses just for one route, especially when Gun Hill has shortages and when the SBS fleet is shared with the 41 SBS. The 4 newer XD60'S just happened to run on the 22 for the most part (Some of then already ran on the 5 and the 12 SBS) New buses tend to run on one or two lines in a depot at first before spreading out, this isn't so much about passenger complaints like you're implying.

It's not possible to assign buses just for one route, especially when Gun Hill has shortages and when the SBS fleet is shared with the 41 SBS. The 4 newer XD60'S just happened to run on the 22 for the most part (Some of then already ran on the 5 and the 12 SBS) New buses tend to run on one or two lines in a depot at first before spreading out, this isn't so much about passenger complaints like you're implying.

What do you mean it's not possible? They're already doing it. The M86SBS has its own fleet. Now of course those buses won't run on the M86SBS forever, but the point is the (MTA) has a pretty good idea of mileage and the life expectancy of their fleet, so this shortage nonsense should go away/be less of an issue as more of the new fleet comes in long-term. Part of this fleet upgrade should be strategic in maximizing the fleets' usage, and they should be able to order buses and get things replaced better once this whole overhaul is done.

I'm not implying anything. It's been well document in the media that certain lines are receiving new buses after passenger complaints and the Lex line is one of them. Ulmer Park also received newer buses after passenger complaints. In other words, don't try to imply that buses are just assigned solely based on what Depot is short. Simply not true. When constituents complain enough about reliability, the (MTA) has to respond, and unlike you, I'm in contact with political leaders on these issues and attend meetings where I see what goes on. I was just in one the other evening in fact where it got heated about a project NJ Transit is undertaking. What you're referring to is different than what I'm discussing. Ultimately, yes the (MTA) will say what buses goes where, but to imply that passenger complaints don't influence that is absurd.

The fact that (MTA) Bus in the Bronx got those new express buses back in the day was also in part because the buses were falling apart and the people using the lines were raising hell.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

What do you mean it's not possible? They're already doing it. The M86SBS has its own fleet. Now of course those buses won't run on the M86SBS forever but the point is the (MTA) has a pretty good idea of mileage and how the life expectancy of their fleet so this shortage nonsense should go away as more of the new fleet comes in. Part of this fleet upgrade should be strategic in maximizing the fleet and they should be to order buses and get things replaced better once this whole overall is done.

I'm not implying anything. It's been well document in the media that certain lines are receiving new buses after passenger complaints and the Lex line is one of them. Ulmer Park also received newer buses after passenger complaints. In other words, don't try to imply that buses are just assigned solely based on what Depot is short. Simply not true. When constituents complain enough about reliability, the (MTA) has to respond.

The fact that (MTA) Bus got those new express buses back in the day was also in part because the buses were falling apart and the people using the lines were raising hell.

Lol, I should of stated just for Gun Hill as the M86 is the only SBS route for Tuskegee so it's easier to manage a small fleet for one route compared to Gun Hill handling two busy SBS routes.

Shortages are still going to be an issue even with a wave of new buses coming in, especially if a lot of them break down or have defects after a few days of service.

Also, I didn't say that Gun Hill got the 4 xcelsiors because they're short either, but seeing three of them on the 22 on a weekend doesn't showcase how passenger complaints lead to them being on the route. The other examples you gave are legit, but not the one for the 22.

Lol, I should of stated just for Gun Hill as the M86 is the only SBS route for Tuskegee so it's easier to manage a small fleet for one route compared to Gun Hill handling two busy SBS routes.

Shortages are still going to be an issue even with a wave of new buses coming in, especially if a lot of them break down or have defects after a few days of service.

Also, I didn't say that Gun Hill got the 4 xcelsiors because they're short either, but seeing three of them on the 22 on a weekend doesn't showcase how passenger complaints lead to them being on the route. The other examples you gave are legit, but not the one for the 22.

So in other words, you're trying to say that passengers don't complain about the poor shape of buses.

I'll just leave this here as an example:

http://www.bxtimes.com/stories/2015/12/12-bus-2015-03-20-bx_2015_12.html

Passengers complain far more than you think. These sorts of things usually don't make the news. Políticans field the complaints and take them to the (MTA). When it comes time for new buses, those complaints are taken into consideration. The (MTA) is not going to come out and say oh we're assigning these buses because of passenger complaints. As I said, there are a number of factors that come into play as to where buses go and no, these buses aren't indicative of anything since it's only one day, but generally speaking, they do have an impact.

So in other words, you're trying to say that passengers don't complain about the poor shape of buses.

I'll just leave this here as an example:

http://www.bxtimes.com/stories/2015/12/12-bus-2015-03-20-bx_2015_12.html

Passengers complain far more than you think. These sorts of things usually don't make the news. Políticans field the complaints and take them to the (MTA). When it comes time for new buses, those complaints are taken into consideration. The (MTA) is not going to come out and say oh we're assigning these buses because of passenger complaints. As I said, there are a number of factors that come into play as to where buses go and no, these buses aren't indicative of anything since it's only one day, but generally speaking, they do have an impact.

I only said that the new Xd60's on the 22 wasn't really related to complaints. I do know that a lot of passengers complain about the lack of quality buses on their routes. It's just that the new XD60'S at Gun Hill ran on one route for the most part at first, just like so many newly delivered buses beforehand. Edited by Kingsbridgeviewer382

I only said that the new Xd60's on the 22 wasn't really related to complaints. I do know that a lot of passengers complain about the lack of quality buses on their routes. It's just that the new XD60'S at Gun Hill ran on one route for the most part at first, just like so many newly delivered buses beforehand.

Yeah of course, but I still would not count out Gun Hill getting this latest batch in general because of passenger complaints on lines like the Bx22. Yes, those buses will be spread around. They don't have a choice but to, but I also don't think it's just a coincidence. I find that usually certain lines will be flooded for a bit with new buses as a way to let folks on different lines see them and use them and they'll make their way around. Now some of that is indeed scheduling too and putting buses on lines that are short.

Yeah of course, but I still would not count out Gun Hill getting this latest batch in general because of passenger complaints on lines like the Bx22. Yes, those buses will be spread around. They don't have a choice but to, but I also don't think it's just a coincidence. I find that usually certain lines will be flooded for a bit with new buses as a way to let folks on different lines see them and use them and they'll make their way around. Now some of that is indeed scheduling too and putting buses on lines that are short.

This was a last minute change as these were supposed to be Grand Ave units for the M shuttle, before realizing that the artics weren't needed. The few XD60's are there at least until the new Nova articulated units come to Gun Hill.

The new buses also go around for driver training and you want drivers on all routes familiar with the bus. I don't think these new buses are any special and I would hold off on new Bx12 buses until the next batch comes in. Let the other GH routes get in on something although some don't need artics.

This was a last minute change as these were supposed to be Grand Ave units for the M shuttle, before realizing that the artics weren't needed. The few XD60's are there at least until the new Nova articulated units come to Gun Hill.

Understood, but it's not as if Gun Hill doesn't need them. I personally wish these buses went elsewhere, as I'm not a fan of how Gun Hill maintains their fleet, but at the same time, they have their hands full with some lines. Hopefully regular new fleet will allow them to pull the older buses and get them freshened up as needed.

The new buses also go around for driver training and you want drivers on all routes familiar with the bus. I don't think these new buses are any special and I would hold off on new Bx12 buses until the next batch comes in. Let the other GH routes get in on something although some don't need artics.

Except Gun Hill operators don't need driver training with these buses. They're practically the same thing as their older counterparts, just with a slightly different transmission modification.

As for the whole Bx22 scenario, drivers probably got to pick their buses. It's a weekend after all, and depending on the dispatcher, some can be lenient with the bus choices.

On the contrary, the idea of them getting those buses because of passenger complaints was not even a factor as to why they get them. If we were to use that logic, every depot would end up with a new bus somehow, because passengers complaint endlessly about bus conditions everywhere in the five boroughs.

They lost buses to West Farms(who knows what the hell is going on with their artic fleet these days), and got nothing in return.

They were short, simple as that. From a logical standpoint, it made sense to send those buses to Gun Hill to ease the burden, considering that operators are already trained on the XD60s. They can get them out to service as quickly as possible.

Edited by Cait Sith

Wow, where to begin:

Listen, if you're trying to clap back at me with that last bit it won't work. Amazing how anything you do not like to here is automatic slander.

Why is this about you? Because you're the one who mentioned it.

Also, asking that something needs to be done isn't just a mere suggestion. Most people on here already know about your desire to conserve, and your plethora of trips that you make, and whatnot.

Listen, people need to go to places. You can't just mess with their commutes because of your personal beliefs. You can continue walking across Manhattan, but not everyone has the personal free time to be roaming in the streets.

That express bus pass cut now makes sense, especially with your statements above. Listen, snobs are everywhere, not just within one income bracket. Your comments come off as someone who envies anyone who makes more money than you. Everyone is a snob below 110 Street, you have got to be joking. Yourr ideas would not only hurt the "snobs", but all the working-class/middle class people taking buses to get to work, to access medical care, or other destinations. Nice way to give the middle finger to those people too.

I'm glad your ideas are not touching the light of day anytime soon.

No you weren't. Its clearly obvious with your "snob" statement that you have resentment towards those people. To propose everything you "proposed", saying that snobs are located below 110 Street in Manhattan after stating said cuts to Manhattan buses (merging services together is still a cut), and then saying it is just a proposal? Outta my face with all of that.

The rest of that latter quote, please come back to me when you practice what you preach.

BM5, I agree with you 100% on this.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

What do you mean it's not possible? They're already doing it. The M86SBS has its own fleet. Now of course those buses won't run on the M86SBS forever, but the point is the (MTA) has a pretty good idea of mileage and the life expectancy of their fleet, so this shortage nonsense should go away/be less of an issue as more of the new fleet comes in long-term. 

Well that's how it works in theory lol. Since the M86 is TU's only SBS route, that's much easier to control. For instance, I've already seen Quill put LFSA with the luggage racks for the M60 SBS on the M23 and M34 for example.

Well that's how it works in theory lol. Since the M86 is TU's only SBS route, that's much easier to control. For instance, I've already seen Quill put LFSA with the luggage racks for the M60 SBS on the M23 and M34 for example.

That makes sense though because they are all SBS buses and mainly crosstown ones that shouldn't rack up too much mileage. The only thing that will happen is those M86SBS buses will take a beating. 86th Street is just atrocious, especially from Lex to about 2nd. They are finally putting in new sidewalks, but the streets themselves remain war zones. I imagine they'll repave them in the coming months.

Except Gun Hill operators don't need driver training with these buses. They're practically the same thing as their older counterparts, just with a slightly different transmission modification.

As for the whole Bx22 scenario, drivers probably got to pick their buses. It's a weekend after all, and depending on the dispatcher, some can be lenient with the bus choices.

On the contrary, the idea of them getting those buses because of passenger complaints was not even a factor as to why they get them. If we were to use that logic, every depot would end up with a new bus somehow, because passengers complaint endlessly about bus conditions everywhere in the five boroughs.

They lost buses to West Farms(who knows what the hell is going on with their artic fleet these days), and got nothing in return.

They were short, simple as that. From a logical standpoint, it made sense to send those buses to Gun Hill to ease the burden, considering that operators are already trained on the XD60s. They can get them out to service as quickly as possible.

That may be true in this case, but let's not try to simplify things and say that passenger complaints have no bearing on what depots get what. That is simply NOT true.

Passengers sure as hell have a say in getting new buses. You make as if the buses pay for themselves. They are paid for with taxpayer money.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

That may be true in this case, but let's not try to simplify things and say that passenger complaints have no bearing on what depots get what. That is simply NOT true.

Passengers sure as hell have a say in getting new buses. You make as if the buses pay for themselves. They are paid for with taxpayer money.

Clearly didn't say that. I said in this situation, it was not a factor.

Stop reading too far into posts. This is the 2nd time in this discussion that you did.

Even so, them getting those new buses is temporary, so it fits into the narrative. They are getting new buses, they just aren't keeping these.

Edited by Cait Sith

Honestly, Gates Avenue is too tight to have a bus line run over it. Buses spend most of the time maneuvering from double parking or making room for upcoming traffic. Would be better if they maybe would remove a side of parking, to make the avenue wider.

Same problem exists a few blocks down with the B26 unfortunately....

It's even worse on the Q41 b/w Atlantic & 109th.... I find it annoying as a passenger when b/o's have to situate buses as close to the curb as possible so buses & other traffic heading in the other direction can pass.... Some streets should only be one way.

Same problem exists a few blocks down with the B26 unfortunately....

It's even worse on the Q41 b/w Atlantic & 109th.... I find it annoying as a passenger when b/o's have to situate buses as close to the curb as possible so buses & other traffic heading in the other direction can pass.... Some streets should only be one way.

Definitely, I've seen one way streets way wider then that.

Clearly didn't say that. I said in this situation, it was not a factor.

Stop reading too far into posts. This is the 2nd time in this discussion that you did.

Even so, them getting those new buses is temporary, so it fits into the narrative. They are getting new buses, they just aren't keeping these.

You're the one that said the following:

If we were to use that logic, every depot would end up with a new bus somehow, because passengers complaint endlessly about bus conditions everywhere in the five boroughs.

I stand by what I said.

You're the one that said the following:

If we were to use that logic, every depot would end up with a new bus somehow, because passengers complaint endlessly about bus conditions everywhere in the five boroughs.

I stand by what I said.

Read too far as usual.

I meant in the sense that each depot would somehow get a new bus just to comply with the complaints if it was taken that seriously.

But, since we were talking about Gun Hill's temporary usage of the new XD60s, that's evidently a non-issue seeing as the main reason they got them is because they were short buses. They're gonna give them up eventually, so the whole point about passenger complaints about cleanliness in regards to the new XD60s in Gun Hill temporarily is relatively moot.

They'll be getting their own new buses, they aren't keeping these unless something drastic happens with their fleet altogether.

Edited by Cait Sith