BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read too far as usual.

I meant in the sense that each depot would somehow get a new bus just to comply with the complaints if it was taken that seriously.

But, since we were talking about Gun Hill's temporary usage of the new XD60s, that's evidently a non-issue seeing as the main reason they got them is because they were short buses. They're gonna give them up eventually, so the whole point about passenger complaints about cleanliness in regards to the new XD60s in Gun Hill temporarily is relatively moot.

They'll be getting their own new buses, they aren't keeping these.

Yeah but that point is irrelevant to even bring up because the fact still remains that there are cases in which buses are assigned because of customer complaints, and there is no over reading into anything. That is a fact, and when buses have been received by depots, politicians have made announcements of such new buses being delivered. Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

But, since we were talking about Gun Hill's temporary usage of the new XD60s, that's evidently a non-issue seeing as the main reason they got them is because they were short buses. They're gonna give them up eventually, so the whole point about passenger complaints about cleanliness in regards to the new XD60s in Gun Hill temporarily is relatively moot.

They'll be getting their own new buses, they aren't keeping these.

How many months behind schedule is this LFSA order for Kingsbridge, Gun Hill and MJQ?  Something tells me that these buses will stay in The Bronx at the least till early 2018, that's if they don't hurry with this 92 bus order. The CNG order with JG & WF is nearing the end.

I always wonder. I used to used to see a few RTSs here and there on the B8 and B35. What changed? Did MTA just decided to let JC Depot only have CNGs or...

The depot became a CNG depot. Gleason is like the prima donna or the depots in Brooklyn. They get all of the new stuff. Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I always wonder. I used to used to see a few RTSs here and there on the B8 and B35. What changed? Did MTA just decided to let JC Depot only have CNGs or...

The ones from a few years ago were just loaners from Ulmer Park.

The depot became a CNG depot. Gleason is like the prima donna or the depots in Brooklyn. They get all of the new stuff.

Hardly the case

The depot became a CNG depot. Gleason is like the prima donna or the depots in Brooklyn. They get all of the new stuff.

Yeah, no... Have you been on a Gleason Orion 7? They're horrendous.

Also, Gleason doesn't get diesel fuel deliveries anymore (or something like that) so they are forced to be picky, not like Ulmer Park, which would have a collective conniption if they were even suggested to get an Orion of any kind, or suggested to remove their RTS's.

The ones from a few years ago were just loaners from Ulmer Park.

Hardly the case

By that logic, West Farms is the prima donna depot of the Bronx.

Yeah, no... Have you been on a Gleason Orion 7? They're horrendous.

Also, Gleason doesn't get diesel fuel deliveries anymore (or something like that) so they are forced to be picky, not like Ulmer Park, which would have a collective conniption if they were even suggested to get an Orion of any kind, or suggested to remove their RTS's.

Once those old buses are replaced, they'll have some of the newest fleet around in Brooklyn.

By that logic, West Farms is the prima donna depot of the Bronx.

West Farms has far more older buses than Gleason does.

Last time I checked Gleason doesn't get all the new stuff. The new stuff goes to West Farms and other formentioned depots in the Bronx before it passes down to the other boroughs. But since we're talking about CNG. West Farms first, Gleason 2nd

Last time I checked Gleason doesn't get all the new stuff. The new stuff goes to West Farms and other formentioned depots in the Bronx before it passes down to the other boroughs. But since we're talking about CNG. West Farms first, Gleason 2nd

Just look at Gleason's bus roster. They got 210 buses that are all pretty new.  Once the buses from 2003 is gone (there's only 44 left and I imagine some of those buses are mainly hanging around for the (M) shuttle), they'll have some of youngest buses around in Brooklyn.  They are indeed the crème de la crème of the depots, and generally have always been.  Those 2003 buses are garbage, yes, but the point is they don't have buses rolling around that are almost 20 years old like a few depots do in Brooklyn. We can argue about the quality of the buses that they have all day, but in terms of fleet age, they in my mind always seem to get their share of the newer buses before the other depots in Brooklyn.  Fresh Pond, Flatbush and Ulmer Park get whatever is left usually, which is annoying.  I hope in the future this changes. All depots should have fleet that is in decent shape, with good AC, clean seats, etc.  I think we're moving in the right direction in terms of buses being replaced when needed.  

Just look at Gleason's bus roster. They got 210 buses that are all pretty new. Once the buses from 2003 is gone (there's only 44 left and I imagine some of those buses are mainly hanging around for the (M) shuttle), they'll have some of youngest buses around in Brooklyn. They are indeed the crème de la crème of the depots, and generally have always been. Those 2003 buses are garbage, yes, but the point is they don't have buses rolling around that are almost 20 years old like a few depots do in Brooklyn. We can argue about the quality of the buses that they have all day, but in terms of fleet age, they in my mind always seem to get their share of the newer buses before the other depots in Brooklyn. Fresh Pond, Flatbush and Ulmer Park get whatever is left usually, which is annoying. I hope in the future this changes. All depots should have fleet that is in decent shape, with good AC, clean seats, etc. I think we're moving in the right direction in terms of buses being replaced when needed.

Some parts of your statement. I will agree here. Yes, it is annoying that other parts of the Brooklyn Division doesn't get to see fresh new buses once it rolls out the lot. However, as of late if not all of Brooklyn Division has gotten brand new buses and the next set of XD40's are slated for most of Brooklyn. So more new buses.

Only thing I would like to see more is the artic distribution sent over to Brooklyn as new and not give junk from the Bronx and Manhattan to Brooklyn. I can only guess the best maintenance does come from the Brooklyn Division CMF's. East New York and Grand Avenue.

Some parts of your statement. I will agree here. Yes, it is annoying that other parts of the Brooklyn Division doesn't get to see fresh new buses once it rolls out the lot. However, as of late if not all of Brooklyn Division has gotten brand new buses and the next set of XD40's are slated for most of Brooklyn. So more new buses.

Only thing I would like to see more is the artic distribution sent over to Brooklyn as new and not give junk from the Bronx and Manhattan to Brooklyn. I can only guess the best maintenance does come from the Brooklyn Division CMF's. East New York and Grand Avenue.

Those other Brooklyn buses should be seeing enough new buses to get rid of the old ones. My point is Gleason gets LARGE batches of new buses, while the other depots get mainly hand-me-downs and some new buses.

Those other Brooklyn buses should be seeing enough new buses to get rid of the old ones. My point is Gleason gets LARGE batches of new buses, while the other depots get mainly hand-me-downs and some new buses.

Keep in mind that Gleason went through a 8 year dry spell of not getting any buses by the time the C40's were arriving in 2011-12. In between that time, other Brooklyn depots got new buses as they came in. And it's also been 4 years since the last of the new C40's came to Gleason so on paper, Gleason seems to get new things when in reality the depot gets a bunch of new units before waiting a couple of years for new ones, especially as a CNG depot that can't refuel diesel buses in mass quantities like West Farms can.

Keep in mind that Gleason went through a 8 year dry spell of not getting any buses by the time the C40's were arriving in 2011-12. In between that time, other Brooklyn depots got new buses as they came in. And it's also been 4 years since the last of the new C40's came to Gleason so on paper, Gleason seems to get new things when in reality the depot gets a bunch of new units before waiting a couple of years for new ones, especially as a CNG depot that can't refuel diesel buses in mass quantities like West Farms can.

That's all fine and good, but the reality is once those old buses are retired, their oldest buses will be from 2011.  Compare that to the other Brooklyn depots with buses from the 90s and it's not even close.

That's all fine and good, but the reality is once those old buses are retired, their oldest buses will be from 2011.  Compare that to the other Brooklyn depots with buses from the 90s and it's not even close.

It is close. The buses are from the late 90s, they're soon to be retired, and the only depot where they make up more than 1/3 of the fleet is Ulmer (by the depot's choice). JG had no new buses from 2003 until 2011, and their O5 CNGs and MTAB hand-me-downs were there for a while. I calculated the ages a while back, but JG never does badly.

It is close. The buses are from the late 90s, they're soon to be retired, and the only depot where they make up more than 1/3 of the fleet is Ulmer (by the depot's choice). JG had no new buses from 2003 until 2011, and their O5 CNGs and MTAB hand-me-downs were there for a while. I calculated the ages a while back, but JG never does badly.

Yeah I will admit that those buses were garbage, but still overall, they're usually taken care of.

1/3 of FB's buses are RTS's from the 90's as well.

Those 2003 buses are garbage, yes, but the point is they don't have buses rolling around that are almost 20 years old like a few depots do in Brooklyn. We can argue about the quality of the buses that they have all day, but in terms of fleet age, they in my mind always seem to get their share of the newer buses before the other depots in Brooklyn.  

Lol, their fleet is all CNG. You won't see a 20 year old CNG bus since the fuel tanks are only good for 15 years. Therefore you have to get new buses often. 

Lol, their fleet is all CNG. You won't see a 20 year old CNG bus since the fuel tanks are only good for 15 years. Therefore you have to get new buses often. 

And that's a good thing. There is nothing great about holding on to buses with no AC in the dead of summer. We need to get out of that habit and invest more monies.  15 years should be the new standard or even less (I'd go with 10 - 12 years) and then replace those buses with new ones. 

It's interesting how all the new XD60s Gun Hill has are effectively exclusive to the Bx22...

It's as if they don't want the buses to be trashed or run to the ground on a higher ridership route, or run through any shady neighborhoods....

Edited by paulrivera