BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Lol, their fleet is all CNG. You won't see a 20 year old CNG bus since the fuel tanks are only good for 15 years. Therefore you have to get new buses often. 

And that's a good thing. There is nothing great about holding on to buses with no AC in the dead of summer. We need to get out of that habit and invest more monies.  15 years should be the new standard or even less (I'd go with 10 - 12 years) and then replace those buses with new ones. 

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's interesting how all the new XD60s Gun Hill has are effectively exclusive to the Bx22...

It's as if they don't want the buses to be trashed or run to the ground on a higher ridership route, or run through any shady neighborhoods....

Edited by paulrivera

It's interesting how all the new XD60s Gun Hill has are effectively exclusive to the Bx22...

It's as if they don't want the buses to be trashed or run to the ground on a higher ridership route, or run through any shady neighborhoods....

LOL The Bx22 goes through the crappy parts of Castle Hill so there's a shady neighborhood.  The part away from the projects is "ok".

It’s pretty high ridership when it comes to schooltime. Schoolkids use it like crazy. It’s not a phenomenon when a fordham plz bus starts his run late so he doesn’t have to pick up the fordham crowd and lets the crushloaded bedford pk one take everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

It’s pretty high ridership when it comes to schooltime. Schoolkids use it like crazy. It’s not a phenomenon when a fordham plz bus starts his run late so he doesn’t have to pick up the fordham crowd and lets the crushloaded bedford pk one take everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Use what like crazy? the Bx22?

LOL The Bx22 goes through the crappy parts of Castle Hill so there's a shady neighborhood.  The part away from the projects is "ok".

Castle Hill is the best compared to the other areas their artic routes run through..

Bx4: The Hub and Soundview

Bx5: Hunts Point and Soundview

Bx12: Fordham and Inwood, plus very high ridership

Bx40/42: Most of the route west of the Square is pretty seedy

Bx41: The whole route is pretty seedy tbh

So for buses that are pretty much loaners, it makes sense to keep them on the Bx22. There are less chances for the buses to get trashed compared to the rest of the routes.

I saw someone on Instagram saying that the Bx6 Select Bus Service will be rolling out August 20th. Is this true?

Looking at Trip Planner on the MTA website (which typically has the routes ahead of schedule for about a month after the date that one plans their trip), there is no mentions of Bx6 SBS service, and the runtimes look the same as they are currently scheduled.

Of course, it could be that Trip Planner did not have the updated route. IMO, it appears to be a bit too "soon" though, so we'll have to see.

Castle Hill is the best compared to the other areas their artic routes run through..

Bx4: The Hub and Soundview

Bx5: Hunts Point and Soundview

Bx12: Fordham and Inwood, plus very high ridership

Bx40/42: Most of the route west of the Square is pretty seedy

Bx41: The whole route is pretty seedy tbh

So for buses that are pretty much loaners, it makes sense to keep them on the Bx22. There are less chances for the buses to get trashed compared to the rest of the routes.

I don't ride the local buses outside of Riverdale at all with any regularity, and the Bx10 or Bx20 to Metro-North is basically it for a few stops when I'm too lazy to walk or the shuttle bus isn't running, so you're probably right in your assessment. Tonight I was actually in Parkchester. I didn't want to charge another $40 cancellation fee to the kid's parent for changing the meeting location since she's really nice, so I agreed to come up there for the session after work. As I waited for the BxM6 to get back to Manhattan, I saw 4 Bx22 buses pass, two in each direction. Two new buses each way and two of the old high floor buses each way. They seemed to be alternating between those run down DH60 buses and the new ones.  Apparently there was some sort of event going on by the Met Oval which had part of it closed on the way up there with the BxM6. Didn't think the new buses had anything to do with that. Sometimes for certain events, the (MTA) will use new fleet.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Back in the day, the Ridgewood bound B52 bus route ran on Quincy Street. I remembered when we used to transfer from the B46 to the B52 to head over to my cousin's house in Bushwick, we had to walk up the block and around the corner on Quincy for the B52...

The B26 always ran on Halsey St in both directions. Halsey St is definitely tighter than Gates Av. Especially North of Broadway...

Back in the day, the Ridgewood bound B52 bus route ran on Quincy Street. I remembered when we used to transfer from the B46 to the B52 to head over to my cousin's house in Bushwick, we had to walk up the block and around the corner on Quincy for the B52...

The B26 always ran on Halsey St in both directions. Halsey St is definitely tighter than Gates Av. Especially North of Broadway...

Have you seen Gates Av north of Central Av? One day on Gates and Knickerbocker I saw a bus driver having to back his bus up, back to the space where the bus stop is just to make room for an oncoming bus.

Have you seen Gates Av north of Central Av? One day on Gates and Knickerbocker I saw a bus driver having to back his bus up, back to the space where the bus stop is just to make room for an oncoming bus.

Gates Avenue is tighter than Halsey. There are some tight spots on Halsey. However, Gates Avenue is another story and it's starts from Bushwick Avenue to Wyckoff-Gates.

Last night I was driving on the Whitestone Expressway by Linden Place and the movie theater when I saw an X80 sitting on the service road by the shopping center across the expressway from the movie theater.   I see that it runs express from Lex125th and Randall's Island but I don't think there was any concerts there on a Tuesday night.  And what would it be doing in College Point?  Maybe it runs out of the CP depot?

Last night I was driving on the Whitestone Expressway by Linden Place and the movie theater when I saw an X80 sitting on the service road by the shopping center across the expressway from the movie theater.   I see that it runs express from Lex125th and Randall's Island but I don't think there was any concerts there on a Tuesday night.  And what would it be doing in College Point?  Maybe it runs out of the CP depot?

Could've been some B/O playing around with the signs.  Several years ago, there was an express bus driver out of Ulmer Park Depot that would come flying down 5th Avenue near 23rd street with a B36 Avenue U destination sign.  He would then turn onto 23rd and lay over somewhere near 3rd Avenue.  

Could be a certain operator...

Another Summer Stroll on 3rd Avenue

Planned Detour 

B37 buses rerouted from 3 Av between Bay Ridge Pkwy and Shore Rd
5 PM to 11:30 PM, Friday, Aug 4

Due to a local event, buses run via 4 Av making corresponding stops in both directions.

Show Reroute Details

Northbound
Via 3 Av
Right on Marine Av
Left on 4 Av
Left on Bay Ridge Pkwy
Right on 3 Av then regular route

Southbound
Via 3 Av
Left on Bay Ridge Pkwy
Right on 4 Av
Right on Shore Rd then regular route
Edited by Around the Horn

I rode the Q85 to Green Acres earlier. Not a bad ride, but it seems that operators are given too much time to reaxh certain points as my bus sat and waited for a few minutes. Plus, I wonder why Q5/Q85 LTD's don't go to the mall.

The limiteds are designed to bring people from the residential parts of SE Queens to/from the subway during rush hour, so it makes sense why those go to the parts of Rosedale that they do as opposed to going to the mall. It's simpler to just have locals go to the mall and limiteds go to Rosedale instead of trying to mix and match.

Now whether there should perhaps be some reverse-peak (AM eastbound and PM westbound) limited-stop service going to/from Green Acres I can't say.