BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WMATA has a similar style paint scheme and they put ad's on their buses so its not outside the realm of possibility...

I would agree with no ad's on the windows...

30226336171_d11c92c5f3_b.jpg

27555342862_d3d9c5fb0e_b.jpg

Those ads look neat though. It seems like the (MTA) has been trying to make the ads cover more and more of the bus which I find annoying. I don't see why the standard ads aren't enough. 

I swear, Kingsbridge driver changes take *forever*, most notably the Bx1 and Bx2 driver changes on Fordham, and the Bx9 at 225th and Broadway. The Bx9 driver change also involves a goofy double stop (2 separate stops at the same stop) going southbound.

The driver changes on the Bx12 OTOH are so much quicker, most of the time you don't even notice that a driver change even happened until after the bus has pulled away.

I swear, Kingsbridge driver changes take *forever*, most notably the Bx1 and Bx2 driver changes on Fordham, and the Bx9 at 225th and Broadway. The Bx9 driver change also involves a goofy double stop (2 separate stops at the same stop) going southbound.

My overall impression of both the Bx1 and Bx2 is that they appear to bunch a lot.  When waiting on the Grand Concourse for the BxM4, they always seem to arrive in packs and then nothing. Seems to be true of the Bx9 as well.

The driver changes on the Bx12 OTOH are so much quicker, most of the time you don't even notice that a driver change even happened until after the bus has pulled away.

I think the official name for that is "reliefs".

This is what happens when you have an old bus like the D60s in service. So today I was on the M101 and the Op was lowering the wheelchair and the wheelchair mover got stuck and couldn't move so right now the M101 is still there waiting for a Maintainance truck. a6b479a42438740f4d2a1164e5a6e412.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

This is what happens when you have an old bus like the D60s in service. So today I was on the M101 and the Op was lowering the wheelchair and the wheelchair mover got stuck and couldn't move so right now the M101 is still there waiting for a Maintainance truck. a6b479a42438740f4d2a1164e5a6e412.jpg

The M101 gets the garbage. They still get most of the high floor buses out of the M101, M102 and M103.

This is what happens when you have an old bus like the D60s in service. So today I was on the M101 and the Op was lowering the wheelchair and the wheelchair mover got stuck and couldn't move so right now the M101 is still there waiting for a Maintainance truck.

[iMAGE]

Had this happen to me on the Bx15 back in June. Sat at 125th/2 Av for a good amount of time because the ramp got stuck and we had to take the next one behind it. I think it's a combination of their age and the amount of wheelchair/walkers that those buses get. When it happened to me, there was at least 1-2 wheelchair riders at almost every stop on 125th. I'm still convinced to this day that the reason that lift crapped out was because of the amount of wheelchair passengers it picked up. 

The M101 gets the garbage. They still get most of the high floor buses out of the M101, M102 and M103.

This is both true and not true. Speaking as someone who uses the M101 pretty frequently, you'll see more Novas and Xcelsiors on that route on certain days and at certain times. Although I will admit, I've recently been getting more Galaxies on that route whenever I take it. 

Those ads look neat though. It seems like the (MTA) has been trying to make the ads cover more and more of the bus which I find annoying. I don't see why the standard ads aren't enough.

The only thing I can think of is that the larger ads give the MTA more ad revenue (which also kind of explains why the Manhattan buses are usually plastered with ads)

Had this happen to me on the Bx15 back in June. Sat at 125th/2 Av for a good amount of time because the ramp got stuck and we had to take the next one behind it. I think it's a combination of their age and the amount of wheelchair/walkers that those buses get. When it happened to me, there was at least 1-2 wheelchair riders at almost every stop on 125th. I'm still convinced to this day that the reason that lift crapped out was because of the amount of wheelchair passengers it picked up.

This is both true and not true. Speaking as someone who uses the M101 pretty frequently, you'll see more Novas and Xcelsiors on that route on certain days and at certain times. Although I will admit, I've recently been getting more Galaxies on that route whenever I take it.

This is the single only thing I like about low floor buses: if the flip ramp fails, the driver can flip it by hand no problem.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

I remember one time we had to leave a wheelchair passenger at a stop because the bus operator didn’t pull up to the curb. There were 2 Bx26’s operating back to back. First one was full to the brim but the second one pulled up away from the curb. When the first one pulled off, the second operator was like sry man, you gotta wait for the next one. I was just thinking why didn’t he pull up closer to the curb. The wheelchair guy was cursing out the bus driver and you could hear it as we drove off.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

That would make sense considering that the number of M101 buses out on the road usually is equal or more than the combined number of M102 and M103 buses out on the road,

Not always True

The M101 is one of the few local lines that I use and see a lot because I'm on the Upper East Side a lot and use it to get and from the BxM1. It tends to get more of the local floor buses during the rush. The older ones show up off-peak and on weekends.

The M101 is one of the few local lines that I use and see a lot because I'm on the Upper East Side a lot and use it to get and from the BxM1. It tends to get more of the local floor buses during the rush. The older ones show up off-peak and on weekends.

Vg8 most likely sees more M101 buses than I do (since I rarely go to the east village like in use to) and when I do I also see mostly low floors on that line as well.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

I remember one time we had to leave a wheelchair passenger at a stop because the bus operator didn’t pull up to the curb. There were 2 Bx26’s operating back to back. First one was full to the brim but the second one pulled up away from the curb. When the first one pulled off, the second operator was like sry man, you gotta wait for the next one. I was just thinking why didn’t he pull up closer to the curb. The wheelchair guy was cursing out the bus driver and you could hear it as we drove off.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

and that bus did not have wheelchair passengers already?