BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Helpless feeling you get when you're waiting for a bus that you don't a] know & b] know when is being detoured....

I'm not going out of my way to find out where a bus is that's on a detour.... The worst part isn't even that - It's, even if you do find the street(s) where some route is being detoured on, you don't know where the actual stops are (or if it's going to make stops at all along the detoured route)......

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Helpless feeling you get when you're waiting for a bus that you don't a] know & b] know when is being detoured....

I'm not going out of my way to find out where a bus is that's on a detour.... The worst part isn't even that - It's, even if you do find the street(s) where some route is being detoured on, you don't know where the actual stops are (or if it's going to make stops at all along the detoured route)......

That's another thing. There seems to be two different things going with these detours. The website will say that corresponding stops will be made on such and such street, but good luck with that. Often times with these detours, the drivers have no intention of stopping, and if they do, you have to hail them down and they act as if there is no detour happening, as they open the door but reluctantly, so clearly they are not told that they need to be making such stops, or they don't want to. In any event, as I said earlier, this is another reason for decreasing ridership.

Last weekend in fact the M103 was on detour and there was nothing Northbound. I wound up walking up to 8th Street and getting the M102 there. Nice to do that with heavy bags. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

That's another thing. There seems to be two different things going with these detours. The website will say that corresponding stops will be made on such and such street, but good luck with that. Often times with these detours, the drivers have no intention of stopping, and if they do, you have to hail them down and they act as if there is no detour happening, as they open the door but reluctantly, so clearly they are not told that they need to be making such stops, or they don't want to. In any event, as I said earlier, this is another reason for decreasing ridership.

Last weekend in fact the M103 was on detour and there was nothing Northbound. I wound up walking up to 8th Street and getting the M102 there. Nice to do that with heavy bags. 

I've always gotten the sense that a lot of the b/o's are just as lost as the passengers when it comes to knowing where to stop on a detoured route.... Some won't stop along the detoured route at all, some will stop if the passengers on the bus raise enough of a stink about getting off...

As far as waiting (at some bus stop of a route traveling along its normal path) for a detoured bus, your chances of boarding it is even less (than alighting a detoured bus) if no one's alighting.... This is one of the main reasons I don't bother going on a Where's Waldo mission for a detoured bus.... Because even if I do find it, more often than not, it won't stop to pick me up anyway.... I kind of have to hope that someone's getting off where I'm waiting at, for me to get on... F*** all that....

I'll be blunt... When it comes to things like this, I don't adhere to any "updates" or whatever that's posted on the MTA site - I simply avoid that route altogether..... Yes there's decreasing ridership due to matters of the sort, exactly for the reason I just mentioned... I know I'm not the only person that avoids a route if I know beforehand that there's some parade going on or whatever.... In the 2nd paragraph of this post & all of the last reply, I was speaking from the vantage point of not knowing when/if a bus is being detoured.... Now if you're already on a bus that's being detoured, again, there's also this hope bullshit that you have to set your frame of mind to - because quite frankly, you don't know what the hell the b/o's going to do.....

I was on a QM15 once that went up via 10th Avenue (yes, 10th Avenue) going back to Lindenwood. I know there was a detour on 6 Avenue (they typically send buses onto Madison, but that wasn't the case). I figured that the bus would turn onto 8 Avenue as soon as it doesn't turn onto 6 Avenue. I knew something was wrong when the BO didn't turn onto 8 Avenue. The BO says he didn't know the detour (so anyone who actually went on the detour, whatever it was, ended getting passed because the BO took 10th Avenue). The BO also decided to use 44 Street instead of 42 Street to go back towards 6th Avenue.

Usually though, whenever there's a detour, most of the QM- passengers are let off at the same corners. But going back, those buses are often empty until 57 Street & 3 Avenue (since that stop is almost always never affected on detours).

There was a weekend or two where all the QM's went up 3 Avenue. Both Madison and 6 Avenue were out. Virtually every stop is affected, and the BO's also race up 3 Avenue. Personally, I would prefer the QM's to use 8 Avenue instead of 3 Avenue if both Madison and 6 Avenue are out.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

I was on a QM15 once that went up via 10th Avenue (yes, 10th Avenue) going back to Lindenwood. I know there was a detour on 6 Avenue (they typically send buses onto Madison, but that wasn't the case). I figured that the bus would turn onto 8 Avenue as soon as it doesn't turn onto 6 Avenue. I knew something was wrong when the BO didn't turn onto 8 Avenue. The BO says he didn't know the detour (so anyone who actually went on the detour, whatever it was, ended getting passed because the BO took 10th Avenue). The BO also decided to use 44 Street instead of 42 Street to go back towards 6th Avenue.

Usually though, whenever there's a detour, most of the QM- passengers are let off at the same corners. But going back, those buses are often empty until 57 Street & 3 Avenue (since that stop is almost always never affected on detours).

There was a weekend or two where all the QM's went up 3 Avenue. Both Madison and 6 Avenue were out. Virtually every stop is affected, and the BO's also race up 3 Avenue. Personally, I would prefer the QM's to use 8 Avenue instead of 3 Avenue if both Madison and 6 Avenue are out.

I've even been burned at 3rd and 57th. They had some race going on along 6th and the QM buses were all over the place. The first QM15 back to Lindenwood didn't even follow any detour. He only showed up on BusTime in Queens. I immediately filed a complaint then and there. The next QM15 then comes up 3rd Avenue to 57th. The only reason I caught that bus was because it was stuck at the light, otherwise I would've missed two QM15s. Meanwhile other QMs were running along 57th. People didn't know what was going on and became disgusted and started scattering to whatever they could.

¡Jesucristo! - Where's Goro & E. Honda when you need them again? I could use the extra hands..... SMH; 10th av. from 6th....

Incompetence at its finest & I don't necessarily blame the b/o either.... I'm assuming this was on a weekend, but if this was during the onset of, or during the PM rush (having to deal w/ the conga line of NJT buses along 10th well short of 42nd, trying to get first dibs on prime real estate inside PABT.... LOL!), god help you.... I don't see how pax. on the M11 put up with that mess 5 days a week.

This is most certainly the type of shit that has people giving up on buses (and really, slowly, the MTA altogether)....

Edited by B35 via Church

¡Jesucristo! - Where's Goro & E. Honda when you need them again? I could use the extra hands..... SMH; 10th av. from 6th....

Incompetence at its finest & I don't necessarily blame the b/o either.... I'm assuming this was on a weekend, but if this was during the onset of, or during the PM rush (having to deal w/ the conga line of NJT buses along 10th well short of 42nd, trying to get first dibs on prime real estate inside PABT.... LOL!), god help you.... I don't see how pax. on the M11 put up with that mess 5 days a week.

This is most certainly the type of shit that has people giving up on buses (and really, slowly, the MTA altogether)....

I took photos along 10th Ave a while back during rush hour, the PA conga line is usually one lane while traffic flows smoothly on the left side of 10th Ave.

How hard is it for West Farms to just keep the SBS XN40s on the Bx6? I mean might as well let people get used to it, you got all these SBS wrapped buses on these routes and people thinkin a route like the Bx36 or Bx8 is turning SBS. Consistency and logic does not mix well with the MTA. I don't wanna hear "the Bx6 SBS aint start yet so buses can go wherever". [emoji19] They got all those C40LFs and Orion VIIs on the Bx6 but got SBS XN40s on all other routes. Dumb...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was on a Saturday, so I avoided whatever shitshow occurs there on weekdays. Apparently there was detour for the QM2, QM4, QM5, and QM6, but for whatever reason forgot to post a detour for the QM15. The BO couldn't even turn onto 8 Avenue because the traffic agents were telling the bus to go straight, and he had to call dispatch to get a route. 

How hard is it for West Farms to just keep the SBS XN40s on the Bx6? I mean might as well let people get used to it, you got all these SBS wrapped buses on these routes and people thinkin a route like the Bx36 or Bx8 is turning SBS. Consistency and logic does not mix well with the MTA. I don't wanna hear "the Bx6 SBS aint start yet so buses can go wherever". [emoji19] They got all those C40LFs and Orion VIIs on the Bx6 but got SBS XN40s on all other routes. Dumb...

Apparently, it is very hard, lol. As of lately, the SBS XN40s have been on the Bx6 more or less. However, they initially were everywhere (the Bx17, Bx21, Bx31, Bx35, Bx36 LIMITED, plus any others I missed). 

It was on a Saturday, so I avoided whatever shitshow occurs there on weekdays. Apparently there was detour for the QM2, QM4, QM5, and QM6, but for whatever reason forgot to post a detour for the QM15. The BO couldn't even turn onto 8 Avenue because the traffic agents were telling the bus to go straight, and he had to call dispatch to get a route. 

Apparently, it is very hard, lol. As of lately, the SBS XN40s have been on the Bx6 more or less. However, they initially were everywhere (the Bx17, Bx21, Bx31, Bx35, Bx36 LIMITED, plus any others I missed). 

Speaking of which, are the some of the WF C40s still going to be used for SBS duty along with the XN40s?  

I mean for right now they only care about providing service moreless. Since there is no specific fleet requirement in place yet why not spread the buses around so they get even wear and tear? The last thing we may want is those SBS XNs used up so much so early.

I may not know too much about the Bronx. However, right now the (MTA) is concerned about making service on the other forementioned lines at West Farms right now. With all the delays with the bus deliveries right now. The least that can be done is spread the buses to other routes.

Right now citywide it's hard to make service. You have subway disruptions in Brooklyn leading to shuttle buses and they are borrowing from Staten Island (YUK) to make service.

I may not know too much about the Bronx. However, right now the (MTA) is concerned about making service on the other forementioned lines at West Farms right now. With all the delays with the bus deliveries right now. The least that can be done is spread the buses to other routes.

Right now citywide it's hard to make service. You have subway disruptions in Brooklyn leading to shuttle buses and they are borrowing from Staten Island (YUK) to make service.

Oh please. It's not that complicated. There's shortages, but we've had a rather cool summer which means fewer buses breaking down and fewer emergencies.  That shuttle set up really hasn't been a big deal either which has helped.

If you're talking about the N/R shuttles, Brooklyn isn't borrowing buses. Staten Island got the work as well, just like how they got the work for the E/F shuttles in Queens.

Oh please. It's not that complicated. There's shortages, but we've had a rather cool summer which means fewer buses breaking down and fewer emergencies.  That shuttle set up really hasn't been a big deal either which has helped.

The summer climate hasn't been that much of a factor at all. But with West Farms case, that depot is the only depot where both their newest and oldest artics are falling apart for some reason.

Edited by Cait Sith

The summer climate hasn't been that much of a factor at all. But with West Farms case, that depot is the only depot where both their newest and oldest artics are falling apart for some reason.

Which is pathetic for the reasons we mentioned.  Their maintenance must be up there with Tuskegee, which isn't saying much. lol

Tuskegee is actually much better than them at this rate lol.

I've noticed that Tuskegee has been putting out more of the new buses (thank God), but they apparently don't wash them.   Likely going to let them run for a while before they even consider that.  It's amazing to me that some depots still hand-wash their buses. Yonkers still does that. A much smaller depot, but it shows in terms of how much cleaner the buses are.

I've noticed that Tuskegee has been putting out more of the new buses (thank God), but they apparently don't wash them. Likely going to let them run for a while before they even consider that. It's amazing to me that some depots still hand-wash their buses. Yonkers still does that. A much smaller depot, but it shows in terms of how much cleaner the buses are.

Which depots in Manhattan ranking them by good to bad maintenance would you put in order?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

They're all kind of equal. Quill used to be on top, but they've been running their LFSAs into the ground.

I understand what you mean literally last week I went downtown and I saw an Rts in which the whole bottom half of the bus was looking like it may come off at some point it was horrible to see it in that condition.

I understand what you mean literally last week I went downtown and I saw an Rts in which the whole bottom half of the bus was looking like it may come off at some point it was horrible to see it in that condition.

I would have to disagree on that because I've gone to downtown myself and I see MJQ Rts clean and good maintenance and I also see those Orion 7 with that good maintainance also. But yeah sometimes they might be lacking on the maintenance but mainly Quill is a good depot and it's probably better then MHV maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk