BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

True--and the same for the 1 AV reading.

My favorites still are the TwinVision RTS signs, which were never reprogrammed when the names changed. Still the "M14 VIA AV A" and D, which is always a treat to see when they come out in the wintertime. I don't think those ever got reprogrammed since the buses were delivered in 1999. Shame those signs are getting replaced so fast.

Then those buses might have the pre-2010 routes still on them...

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hudson pier was on West side hwy and 15th st.

Quill is on West side and 40th St.

Hudson pier building is still standing, but seems like there is construction going on.

And I was the poster who was hearing whispers about the 86 being sent to MQ.

I'll tell ya this, lots of operator's are going to Flee TU this winter bid.

That's probably a good thing. TU has some of the nastiest drivers around.  I had one guy literally slam the doors on me when I tried boarding an M86SBS bus at Lex and 86th.  I usually don't confront drivers, but I was so infuriated that I went all the way up to the front to give him a few choice words and filed a complaint then and there on my phone. He had the nerve to say "Well you're on the bus aren't you?" after slamming the door on me not once but twice.  Like hello people are getting on the damn bus.  Jerk. 

Most likey if you boarded at the rear, the operator doesn't have control of the sensors. It will close, and re open if it senses someone there, and keeps trying to close...

Nonetheless, he could've been more polite.

Also he may switch over to Quill when the bid happens. Just to chase the route. (If he likes it that much)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

That's probably a good thing. TU has some of the nastiest drivers around.  I had one guy literally slam the doors on me when I tried boarding an M86SBS bus at Lex and 86th.  I usually don't confront drivers, but I was so infuriated that I went all the way up to the front to give him a few choice words and filed a complaint then and there on my phone. He had the nerve to say "Well you're on the bus aren't you?" after slamming the door on me not once but twice.  Like hello people are getting on the damn bus.  Jerk. 

The operators don't control the sensors in the rear of the bus 

The operators don't control the sensors in the rear of the bus 

That's besides the point.  You look to see if people are getting on.  You don't rely on "sensors".  He had barely pulled into the stop before he was already closing the doors.  His bus was practically empty which means he didn't want to pick up anybody. I know the deal.

He controls the sensors. He presses for the sensors to activate and if they detect no one there, they will close. Clearly, they’re controlled by the driver because I’ve sat at stops with the back doors open with no one in the way. So the bus doesn’t just open and close its doors automatically.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

He controls the sensors. He presses for the sensors to activate and if they detect no one there, they will close. Clearly, they’re controlled by the driver because I’ve sat at stops with the back doors open with no one in the way. So the bus doesn’t just open and close its doors automatically.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Exactly.  And he sure as hell closed the front door first then started closing the back ones as if he didn't want more people getting on.  I don't know what the rush was  because one bus had just come and picked up almost all of the people waiting while his bus was almost empty.  That's one issue with the M86.  In the evenings especially during the rush they can come in packs of four.  First bus is crushloaded, the next is full but not insanely crowded and then the last two are almost empty.

Thats not how the back doors work. I'll explain it using the Novas:

When you turn the door handle to rear on the local buses, the back doors will unlock (green light comes on) and will stay unlocked until someone touches the tape/bar, in which the doors will open and stay open. When the operator turns the handle to close, the doors will start to close. If the sensor picks up something in the doorway, the doors will automatulically reopen and reclose as many times as it needs until they're closed and locked.

On SBS buses/buses set in SBS mode, the doors automatically unlock and open once the driver turns the handle to rear. As with the local buses,once the handle gets turned to close, the doors will close and recycle if the sensor catches something in the door area.

This move is gonna shake up a few things in the city.

MQ may have to send some Orions over to 100st.

Im not sure how many buses the 31 will require.. we all know the RTS will not be sent over there most likely.

MQ has trips that deadhead up to 92nd St. So im sure TU will have deadhead trips to 54th St.

Relief points will have to be changed up on both routes for convenience reasoning.

Lots of bus moves by year end I'm sure.

Thats not how the back doors work. I'll explain it using the Novas:

When you turn the door handle to rear on the local buses, the back doors will unlock (green light comes on) and will stay unlocked until someone touches the tape/bar, in which the doors will open and stay open. When the operator turns the handle to close, the doors will start to close. If the sensor picks up something in the doorway, the doors will automatulically reopen and reclose as many times as it needs until they're closed and locked.

On SBS buses/buses set in SBS mode, the doors automatically unlock and open once the driver turns the handle to rear. As with the local buses,once the handle gets turned to close, the doors will close and recycle if the sensor catches something in the door area.

Agreed, also it's very hard to see someone running for the bus in those mirrors. If a person is out of view, we will assume that everyone has boarded and we will leave the stop.

(In this case, the operator may have assumed that there weren't many people waiting to board, being that a previous bus has just left the location)

We also have strict instructions to leave the stop if passengers are not ready to board with their SBS tickets.

Many operators are courteous enough to hold the bus. However, we actually have instructions to leave. To keep the SBS service as rapid as possible.

Just some insight i thought I'd share

Agreed, also it's very hard to see someone running for the bus in those mirrors. If a person is out of view, we will assume that everyone has boarded and we will leave the stop.

(In this case, the operator may have assumed that there weren't many people waiting to board, being that a previous bus has just left the location)

We also have strict instructions to leave the stop if passengers are not ready to board with their SBS tickets.

Many operators are courteous enough to hold the bus. However, we actually have instructions to leave. To keep the SBS service as rapid as possible.

Just some insight i thought I'd share

No one was running for the bus because we already had our tickets and purposely waited for that bus because I had BusTime on and knew another was coming, so no point in riding a packed bus. Point is we never even had a chance to board because before we could make it one more the doors, he was already closing them.

Anywho enough of that. I will be using the M79SBS over the M86SBS. Used it tonight. A very civilized ride and not nearly as packed as the M86SBS. Boarded at Madison. Was very quick to Columbus and 81st.

Hudson pier was on West side hwy and 15th st.

Quill is on West side and 40th St.

Hudson pier building is still standing, but seems like there is construction going on.

Why?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

So yesterday I caught the 5:08pm QM2 Super Express to Whitestone and I have a couple of thoughts:

1. Going crosstown is very annoying.  It's just bumper to bumper along 36th Street (obviously this is how it is), but it kind of dispels the notion that the MTA doesn't want to extend more service downtown because trips to Whitestone are already long from Midtown as it is.  On most days it probably takes just as long to get across from 6th to tunnel/bridge as it does to get up the FDR. 

2. I was otherwise impressed that it only took about 60 minutes to get from 6th/36th to the first stop Whitestone Expwy/Linden.  Though I think most of that comes from not having to make the other stops along 6th and 59th street.  I can't really decide if one route is better over the other.  It would probably be faster during off-peak times grossly outside of the rush hour range to drive down 2nd ave and take the Midtown Tunnel to either the BQE or Van Wyck.  But I was also tracking a 3rd Ave QM32 bus that started its run at 5:10pm and it was only maybe 5 minutes behind us at the first stop running via Northern Blvd. 

My work schedule is changing soon and it doesn't make sense to stick around for the Super Express buses.  I think my best bet is probably just to take the QM32 because it's much easier going up 3rd Ave then having to go across from 6th (obviously).  I can't imagine how awful it must have been back when buses were running via 8th Avenue back in the day.

So yesterday I caught the 5:08pm QM2 Super Express to Whitestone and I have a couple of thoughts:

1. Going crosstown is very annoying.  It's just bumper to bumper along 36th Street (obviously this is how it is), but it kind of dispels the notion that the MTA doesn't want to extend more service downtown because trips to Whitestone are already long from Midtown as it is.  On most days it probably takes just as long to get across from 6th to tunnel/bridge as it does to get up the FDR. 

2. I was otherwise impressed that it only took about 60 minutes to get from 6th/36th to the first stop Whitestone Expwy/Linden.  Though I think most of that comes from not having to make the other stops along 6th and 59th street.  I can't really decide if one route is better over the other.  It would probably be faster during off-peak times grossly outside of the rush hour range to drive down 2nd ave and take the Midtown Tunnel to either the BQE or Van Wyck.  But I was also tracking a 3rd Ave QM32 bus that started its run at 5:10pm and it was only maybe 5 minutes behind us at the first stop running via Northern Blvd. 

My work schedule is changing soon and it doesn't make sense to stick around for the Super Express buses.  I think my best bet is probably just to take the QM32 because it's much easier going up 3rd Ave then having to go across from 6th (obviously).  I can't imagine how awful it must have been back when buses were running via 8th Avenue back in the day.

Yes, that's one reason why the 3rd Avenue branches see so much ridership.  When 6th Avenue is a mess and the BxM18 is a mess, I just go with the BxM1 and try to get one that skips Inwood, as I don't want a tour of Upper Manhattan, not to mention the traffic up there.  That is always my backup plan. Last night I was on the Upper West Side.  Walking from my client, I checked BusTime in disbelief because a bus that should've arrived was almost 20 minutes behind schedule.  An M79 came and I thought about taking that over to the BxM1, but since there were two BxM2's I got the first one which surprisingly wasn't packed.

Something I do when I'm on the Upper East Side is if the BxM2 is a mess coming up 6th, I just walk over to 3rd for the BxM1.  3rd Avenue flows the best overall because the street is so wide since it used to be a two-way street.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Yeah, 6th Avenue can be pretty congested compared to 3rd Avenue during the PM rush. There is also a lot more foot traffic. It can take a while for the crosswalks to clear. For example, the 34th Street/6th Avenue intersection gets very crowded. Now, while the first stop on the Queens-bound express buses isn't until 36th, the crowds just prevent buses from making the turn. I don't think I've seen more than 2 buses making that turn at a cycle during the PM.

It would appear to be that since last year that the rampant farebeating amongst kids has gotten much worse (unless I've been living under a rock and this has been a problem for years, only exposed to me by riding other routes)

Nothing new. During a survey last Friday, I counted 147 people entering back doors on every B35 that stopped at Church and Flatbush. Then I counted about 39 people who got fed up with waiting for the bus jump in dollar cabs. That was a total of 196 lost fares. How long was I there? Only 45 minutes.... Smh

Nothing new. During a survey last Friday, I counted 147 people entering back doors on every B35 that stopped at Church and Flatbush. Then I counted about 39 people who got fed up with waiting for the bus jump in dollar cabs. That was a total of 196 lost fares. How long was I there? Only 45 minutes.... Smh

...and how many of those dollar cabs got pulled over by undercover's :lol:

....creep wit me, as I crawl through the hood

maniac, lunatic - call him snoop east-wood

kickin dust, as I bust - f*** peace...

and... the mothaf***in punk po-lice!....

#realhiphop #fukkautotune

They were out there around 5-6pm yesterday & the day before (don't know about monday or tuesday, as I didn't take mass transit).... For me, it's just another day in the neighborhood with what goes on w/ the B35...

Edited by B35 via Church

On RTS 5082 B6 westbound and a sensor is making a beeping noise ... the driver isn't making any attempt to assess the source of the noise...Does anyone have a clue what could be wrong? I mean he is driving has if nothing is wrong so may be it's a check engine noise,I got no clue help!!! Thanks