BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On RTS 5082 B6 westbound and a sensor is making a beeping noise ... the driver isn't making any attempt to assess the source of the noise...Does anyone have a clue what could be wrong? I mean he is driving has if nothing is wrong so may be it's a check engine noise,I got no clue help!!! Thanks

The question I more have is, how far north does East Harlem span..... I've heard too many different answers.

According to Wikipedia, it's the area North of the Upper East Side from 96 St to the 140's. East of 5 Av.

Probably never got around to changing it. On BusTime it says "East Harlem" and Harlem in other places.

Same deal with the B12 and 25. One says East New York the other says Broadway Junction when they end in the same area.

I have no photos or anything at the moment to prove it, but a little while ago, what I swear had to be one of them museum fleet buses drove down my street. If it wasn't an MTA museum bus, someone was joy riding a classic GMC product through Ridgewood. 

I would have chased after it, but I would have looked really silly running down the street holding my dinner plate. 

To be fair, I just confused Broadway Junction to be a (very small) section of ENY so techemically both are right IMO.

Another one is the S98 saying Mariners Harbor while the S48 says Arlington Holland Avenue. Though I consider the relationship between Arlington & Mariners Harbor to be similar to that of City Line & ENY

To me, Cypress Hills is a separate neighborhood and New Lots is a subsection of ENY.

In any case, another messed up Sunday with the Staten Island express buses. I was on the (J) coming from Essex Street, and was checking BusTime. These were basically the times of the scheduled buses:

X1:

3 buses coming at 3:14PM (they were supposed to come at 2:26, 2:46, and 3:06PM)

X10:

Buses came at 2:17PM, 2:27PM, and 3:05PM (they were supposed to come at 12:44PM, 1:24PM, and 2:24PM).

X17:

The 2:41PM bus was a no-show (I was checking BusTime the whole time I was on the (J), and it said "No buses en-route", then "10.6 miles+layover), and eventually said it was at 57th Street, waiting to depart at 3PM.

So yeah, the more these types of insane delays happen, the more I agree with the MTA's plan to cut back off-peak service to Downtown. With all the parades in Midtown, it's throwing the schedule out the window. Even with the GOs, I'd rather have reliable service every 20-30 minutes from Downtown, instead of getting to Downtown and having to seriously consider the ferry as an option because the buses are delayed over an hour.

Last week, my brother called me and asked if I could give him advice on how to get home: I saw the X10 that he wanted to catch was still heading uptown from Battery Place, and just advised him to take the ferry. By the time he walked in the door, that X10 was barely getting into Staten Island (and apparently, the last X17 was a no-show according to BusTime anyway)

http://pix11.com/2017/09/18/very-serious-collision-involving-2-buses-in-flushing-causes-traffic-delays/

FLUSHING, Queens — One person is dead and at least 16 people injured, including seven in critical condition, after a "very serious" collision involving two buses, which sent one into a building that later caught fire in Flushing Monday morning. A city bus and coach bus collided at Main Street and Northern Boulevard, causing one of the buses to crash into a building, according to police. The crash occurred around 6:18 a.m., FDNY said. One person was found dead at the scene, fire officials said at a morning news conference. There are at least "16 reported injuries at this time," FDNY tweeted around 7:15 a.m. At least seven people are in critical condition, FDNY later said. The crash is considered "very serious," and is causing "heavy traffic delays," police tweeted. There is a "heavy presence of emergency personnel" in the area, NYC's Office of Emergency Management tweeted. The following buses are facing delays because of the incident, according to the MTA: Q13, Q16, Q19, Q20A, Q20B, Q25, Q25Ltd, Q28, Q34, Q44-SBS, Q65, Q65Ltd, Q66 and QM3. It was not immediately known which MTA bus was involved. The coach bus was operated by Dahlia. PIX11 has reached out for comment from both.

http://pix11.com/2017/09/18/very-serious-collision-involving-2-buses-in-flushing-causes-traffic-delays/

FLUSHING, Queens — One person is dead and at least 16 people injured, including seven in critical condition, after a "very serious" collision involving two buses, which sent one into a building that later caught fire in Flushing Monday morning. A city bus and coach bus collided at Main Street and Northern Boulevard, causing one of the buses to crash into a building, according to police. The crash occurred around 6:18 a.m., FDNY said. One person was found dead at the scene, fire officials said at a morning news conference. There are at least "16 reported injuries at this time," FDNY tweeted around 7:15 a.m. At least seven people are in critical condition, FDNY later said. The crash is considered "very serious," and is causing "heavy traffic delays," police tweeted. There is a "heavy presence of emergency personnel" in the area, NYC's Office of Emergency Management tweeted. The following buses are facing delays because of the incident, according to the MTA: Q13, Q16, Q19, Q20A, Q20B, Q25, Q25Ltd, Q28, Q34, Q44-SBS, Q65, Q65Ltd, Q66 and QM3. It was not immediately known which MTA bus was involved. The coach bus was operated by Dahlia. PIX11 has reached out for comment from both.

Update: 3 dead, over 15 injured.

FLUSHING, Queens — One person is dead and at least 16 people injured, including seven in critical condition, after a "very serious" collision involving two buses, which sent one into a building that later caught fire in Flushing Monday morning. A city bus and coach bus collided at Main Street and Northern Boulevard, causing one of the buses to crash into a building, according to police. The crash occurred around 6:18 a.m., FDNY said. One person was found dead at the scene, fire officials said at a morning news conference. There are at least "16 reported injuries at this time," FDNY tweeted around 7:15 a.m. At least seven people are in critical condition, FDNY later said. The crash is considered "very serious," and is causing "heavy traffic delays," police tweeted. There is a "heavy presence of emergency personnel" in the area, NYC's Office of Emergency Management tweeted. The following buses are facing delays because of the incident, according to the MTA: Q13, Q16, Q19, Q20A, Q20B, Q25, Q25Ltd, Q28, Q34, Q44-SBS, Q65, Q65Ltd, Q66 and QM3. It was not immediately known which MTA bus was involved. The coach bus was operated by Dahlia. PIX11 has reached out for comment from both.

XD40 7436 out of CS. Bus got slammed by said Dahlia Bus which ran the red light. 7436 was on the Q20A.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

FLUSHING, Queens (WABC) -- Three people were killed and 15 injured when an MTA bus and a charter bus collided in Queens early Monday.

The Q20 bus collided with the Dahlia charter bus at Main Street and Northern Boulevard in Flushing around 6:15 a.m., and authorities were investigating reports that the charter bus had run a red light.

The NYPD and FDNY responded to the scene and began removing passengers.

All of the victims were quickly taken off the buses, with the exception of one of the drivers, who was pinned in the bus and needed to be extricated. One person was pronounced dead at the scene after being found underneath one of the buses, leading authorities to believe that person may have been a pedestrian.

The victims were rushed to area hospitals, where two of them passed away and five remain listed in critical condition. The driver of the private bus and a passenger on the MTA bus were identified as those who died at the hospital.

The MTA driver, a 10-year veteran, "is in the hospital in non-critical condition, he's being spoken to," authorities said.

The flames were quickly extinguished, but there is extensive damage to the structure.

The cause of the crash is under investigation, but one witness who was in a car that was nearly struck by the charter bus said it was speeding and ran several lights.

"I looked up, and I see this bus fly right by us," Sheila Baez said. "He flew, we was at the red light, he flew right by us. He passed the red light...speeding. He went past the red light, he went passed the other red light, and smacked into the bus. He hit the bus...He ended up on the sidewalk, then smacked into the building. That's what we saw."

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio visited the accident scene, calling it "a really tragic morning here in Queens."

Another Dahlia charter bus was involved in a 2016 bus crash on Interstate 95 in Connecticut that injured 36 people.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Edited by FLX9304

Well this is bus bunching on another level... FIVE BxM2 buses running together, THREE BxM1s packed up and THREE BxM18s running together.  The BxM18 is the biggest offender. The bus runs ever 30 minutes, so that means the 16:15, 16:45 and 17:15 buses are all running together and have yet to reach 42nd street.

There are SEVEN BxM7 buses running on the expressway, SIX BxM9 buses running up Madison, and EIGHT BxM8 buses.

BxM8_zps8gxx6h2v.jpg

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Well this is bus bunching on another level... FIVE BxM2 buses running together, THREE BxM1s packed up and THREE BxM18s running together. The BxM18 is the biggest offender. The bus runs ever 30 minutes, so that means the 16:15, 16:45 and 17:15 buses are all running together and have yet to reach 42nd street.

The express bus gods aren't happy with you today.

The express bus gods aren't happy with you today.

I actually had to get off of my BxM1 bus and continue with the subway because we were stuck on the Upper East Side and I gave myself almost two hours to get in.  I think I may stick with taking the subway over to Metro-North since I have to be somewhere later on.

I actually had to get off of my BxM1 bus and continue with the subway because we were stuck on the Upper East Side and I gave myself almost two hours to get in. I think I may stick with taking the subway over to Metro-North since I have to be somewhere later on.

Didn't think you'd come to that considering your preference of not using the subway.

Didn't think you'd come to that considering your preference of not using the subway.

Well I spent a considerable amount of money this weekend ($60.00 at Crate and Barrel for two items for my apartment), and then over $130 for food and other goodies, so yeah I'd like to cut back a bit. lol Besides I have an unused e-ticket so I'd essentially ride for free.