BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Wouldn't New Lots and Cypress Hills be a part of ENY too?

They're already subsections of East New York.....

To me, Cypress Hills is a separate neighborhood and New Lots is a subsection of ENY.

That mindset is very common... The fact that it's the least like the other subsections of ENY (demographically speaking; majority hispanic) has a lot to do with that.....

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're already subsections of East New York.....

That mindset is very common... The fact that it's the least like the other subsections of ENY (demographically speaking; majority hispanic) has a lot to do with that.....

To say this in liew. East New York is pretty big. It's borders include Bushwick, Brownsville and Canarsie. Sub neighborhoods: Cypress Hills, Spring Creek, New Lots, and Starrett City.

However, to me. I feel that Starrett should be more Canarsie than East New York, but geographically it is a subsection of East New York once u pass Penn Avenue or Louisiana Avenue which ever is first on the Canarsie end.

All the neighborhood maps show that ENY is big.

To say this in liew. East New York is pretty big. It's borders include Bushwick, Brownsville and Canarsie. Sub neighborhoods: Cypress Hills, Spring Creek, New Lots, and Starrett City.

However, to me. I feel that Starrett should be more Canarsie than East New York, but geographically it is a subsection of East New York once u pass Penn Avenue or Louisiana Avenue which ever is first on the Canarsie end.

All the neighborhood maps show that ENY is big.

To me, Starrett City is its own neighborhood as well (saying Starrett City is part of ENY is like saying Co-Op City is part of Baychester. I know Co-Op City is larger, but still) and extends no further north than Flatlands Avenue. That industrial area between Louisiana & Pennsylvania Avenue north of Flatlands is just ENY. (This is all IMO).

I remember meeting a girl from Cypress Hills, and I found it odd when she said she lived in ENY (I asked where, and she said "by the (J) train" or something along those lines, and I'm like "Oh, so Cypress Hills basically"). And she didn't seem like she was saying it for street cred or anything like that.

To me, Starrett City is its own neighborhood as well (saying Starrett City is part of ENY is like saying Co-Op City is part of Baychester. I know Co-Op City is larger, but still) and extends no further north than Flatlands Avenue. That industrial area between Louisiana & Pennsylvania Avenue north of Flatlands is just ENY. (This is all IMO).

I remember meeting a girl from Cypress Hills, and I found it odd when she said she lived in ENY (I asked where, and she said "by the (J) train" or something along those lines, and I'm like "Oh, so Cypress Hills basically"). And she didn't seem like she was saying it for street cred or anything like that.

You do have a point. I used to have family in Starrett City and remember as a kid I would always see a 69th pct and 75 pct in the areas in Starrett and there were times I would see an unmarked 69th pct working along the belt between Rockaway and Penn. I would always consider Starrett more of Canarsie extension but growing up I saw it more of East New York. Same for the industrial area most of it bordering Canarsie especially on the Foster Avenue and Avenue D ends through Louisiana Ave.

You do have a point. I used to have family in Starrett City and remember as a kid I would always see a 69th pct and 75 pct in the areas in Starrett and there were times I would see an unmarked 69th pct working along the belt between Rockaway and Penn. I would always consider Starrett more of Canarsie extension but growing up I saw it more of East New York. Same for the industrial area most of it bordering Canarsie especially on the Foster Avenue and Avenue D ends through Louisiana Ave.

I always thought Starrett City was an extension of Spring Creek. I remember that commercial advertising about the complex saying Starrett at Spring Creek

I always thought Starrett City was an extension of Spring Creek. I remember that commercial advertising about the complex saying Starrett at Spring Creek

There's always changes to that area. But both areas are subsections of East New York. Honestly, I never thought Spring Creek was it's own area. (IMO).

This maybe off topic but I was wondering which bus depot was the first to be open in Manhattan?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

There's no such thing as off-topic in a thread with no specific topic lol.

But to answer your question, it's kinda hard to answer since most bus depots started out as trolley barns and whatnot. If I had to take a wild guess, I would say either Hale or the old 12 St depot.

There's no such thing as off-topic in a thread with no specific topic lol.

But to answer your question, it's kinda hard to answer since most bus depots started out as trolley barns and whatnot. If I had to take a wild guess, I would say either Hale or the old 12 St depot.

Interesting I never knew that also my bad lol

Hey guys I have a quick question while passing through the neigborhood here at Manhattanville I notice that Manhattanville is almost done with it's repairs so I was wondering will the Mta ever try to expand the clearance area at Manhattanville depot so that MHV can recieve and store artics?

Hey guys I have a quick question while passing through the neigborhood here at Manhattanville I notice that Manhattanville is almost done with it's repairs so I was wondering will the Mta ever try to expand the clearance area at Manhattanville depot so that MHV can recieve and store artics?

Not part of any current plans right now

I don't think it is in the immediate plans for the (MTA) to place ads on the new incoming buses. I would always remember in the past when new buses would come in. Within a month of the deliveries you see the buses get slapped with an ad.  We had the XD60's from (MTA) bus for well over a year and not even a rear ad is on with exception of 5364. 

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I don't think it is in the immediate plans for the (MTA) to place ads on the new incoming buses. I would always remember in the past when new buses would come in. Within a month of the deliveries you see the buses get slapped with an ad.  We had the XD60's from (MTA) bus for well over a year and not even a rear ad is on with exception of 5364. 

Sightly off topic but none of the SC C40's have ads on them either, they even took the ads off of some of the Orion CNG's there. When I was in Flushing I didn't see any on the CP C40's either.

Edited by trainfan22

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Sightly off topic but none of the SC C40's have ads on them either, they even took the ads off of some of the Orion CNG's there. When I was in Flushing I didn't see any on the CP C40's either.

You are absolutely correct. Only ads I've seen from SC are the ones that came from Gleason and West Farms. Some 76xx buses.  There are some C40's from College Point that have ads when I frequent in Jamaica. 

In unrelated news. Flatbush and Ulmer Park just got in a new set of 30x240 super king ads. 

On 9/26/2017 at 5:32 PM, Around the Horn said:

Took the X27 home today for the first time in years... Those Prevosts are pretty nice and the ride from Lower Manhattan was smooth and quick, under 30 minutes, which just slightly beats (J)(Z)>(N)>B9 on a good day

How could you do the (J)(Z)>(N)>B9  anywhere close to 30 minutes, even on a good day? That's like two trains and a bus... If you live near Shore Road, I think it's crazy that you schlepp all the way over to 4th Avenue.   The walk to 4th depending on where you are on Shore Rd is a PITA plus it is a little hilly in parts.  When I considered moving back to Brooklyn and was going to move on Shore Rd and 92nd, the thing that deterred me was there was no express bus service on the weekends at that time since it hadn't been restored yet.  Had it been running, I likely would've moved back to Brooklyn and stayed in Bay Ridge versus moving to Riverdale.  In any event, considering where I would've been and how atrocious the B16 is, there was no way I was taking the bus to the subway or walking from there.  

Oddly enough though, my old boss bought an apartment down there.  I recommended Bay Ridge to him (it's one of the best neighborhoods left with the old school South Brooklyn vibe), and he was trying to start a family and wanted to move from Brooklyn Heights.  I saw him waiting for the X27 a years ago when I was still living on Staten Island and chuckled to myself.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

How could you do the (J)(Z)>(N)>B9  anywhere close to 30 minutes, even on a good day? That's like two trains and a bus...

Well now that Bay Ridge Avenue is closed, during rush hour they'll either hold a B9 for connecting passengers or bring a bus from around the corner to shuttle people down, so thats about 10 minutes with little to no wait time, and the (N) is about 15-18 minutes, the (J)(Z) pretty much follow their schedule to the letter, so I as long as I'm at Fulton Center when it says so, thats a quick 5 minutes or less up to Canal... So its 30-32 minutes during rush hour if I make great connections... usually though its around 40...

I was on Facebook today, there was an idea of having a bus running the entire length of Broadway in Queens. There was suggestions of having the Q104 do it and have the Q18 go down 48 St to compensate the loss of the 104. This is all because the (R) went express between Roosevelt and Queens Plaza. I suppose it could work. Similar to when the (N) goes express between Astoria Blvd and Queensboro Plaza.

So there's construction at CSI which means they're basically ending the S93 at the front gate (they drop off at the loop bus terminal just behind the gate so people can easily transfer to the loop bus if they don't want to walk, and then go to the front gate MTA stop when it's time to depart). 

So with any luck that construction will take a while. 

11 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

So there's construction at CSI which means they're basically ending the S93 at the front gate (they drop off at the loop bus terminal just behind the gate so people can easily transfer to the loop bus if they don't want to walk, and then go to the front gate MTA stop when it's time to depart). 

So with any luck that construction will take a while. 

So they are basically doing the old S93 route?