BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/3/2017 at 11:27 PM, MysteriousBtrain said:

So I recently found a few codes from before 2010, most notably the Bx23:22181400_137691430305701_921830360318300

I always wondered about the NYCT Bx23. Looks like a route between Fordham Plaza and Mt Vernon. Based on the short-turns listed, I made a map of what the proposed route could look like:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1arsC76QgZ7sgHkczdsB8MOpCbxk&usp=sharing

What's the Limits of running NYCTA buses into Westchester there's only one stop that I know of in  Westchester on the :bus_bullet_bx16: at Sanford off Mundy.. Seems it's easier on the LI side Q5, Q85 and not sure if Q46 has any stops in L.I I'm barring the MTA BUS routes Q111,113,114 & BXM3 those routes were in place before MTA take over. I'd think the Mount Vernon side of the Bx23 would end at the border. 

Edited by RailRunRob

1 hour ago, RailRunRob said:

What's the Limits of running NYCTA buses into Westchester there's only one stop that I know of in  Westchester on the :bus_bullet_bx16: at Sanford off Mundy.. Seems it's easier on the LI side Q5, Q85 and not sure if Q46 has any stops in L.I I'm barring the MTA BUS routes Q111,113,114 & BXM3 those routes were in place before MTA take over. I'd think the Mount Vernon side of the Bx23 would end at the border. 

Q46 goes through Lake Success Road by LIJ/Northwell Hospital. However, I believe the stops are within the facility. 

Q111,113,114: They pass thru Nassau to get into Far Rockaway. 

Q5/85 at Green Acres Mall. Parking lots. No stops on Sunrise Highway heading towards Jamaica. Not to sure heading towards Green Acres. 

3 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Q46 goes through Lake Success Road by LIJ/Northwell Hospital. However, I believe the stops are within the facility. 

Q5/85 at Green Acres Mall. Parking lots. No stops on Sunrise Highway heading towards Jamaica. Not to sure heading towards Green Acres. 

Yep the Q5/85 has two stops on Sunrise eastbound. Just checked the Q46 has a few stops on the New Hyde Park side So if the MTA wanted to extend the Bx16 Into Pelham or New Rochelle are there any limitations?I think I remember hearing about Bx7 or 10 being extended into Yonkers at somepoint in the past.

Edited by RailRunRob

3 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

The Q114 makes stops in Nassau between mainland Queens and Far Rockaway. It serves the part of Inwood and Lawrence not covered by the n31 and n32 traveling between Hempstead and Far Rockaway.

Edited by NY1635

19 hours ago, NY1635 said:

The Q114 makes stops in Nassau between mainland Queens and Far Rockaway. It serves the part of Inwood and Lawrence not covered by the n31 and n32 traveling between Hempstead and Far Rockaway.

Very interesting that the Queens lines provide coverage into Nassau primarily the Q113 and Q114  

To one of the other posters. Thanks for pointing out the Eastbound stops on the Q5/85 for Green Acres. I always thought there were no stops along Sunrise after the turn from Hood Creek Boulevard going into the mall. 

As for the Q46- What stops on New hyde Park Road do they have? When I used to live in Queens Village and get to LIJ I would take the 88 to the 46 at Springfield and Union. That bus would take me into the LIJ Campus and stops within the property-parking lot area. I dunno what has change from then. But stops on New Hyde Park Road, I'm ????  

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Very interesting that the Queens lines provide coverage into Nassau primarily the Q113 and Q114  

To one of the other posters. Thanks for pointing out the Eastbound stops on the Q5/85 for Green Acres. I always thought there were no stops along Sunrise after the turn from Hood Creek Boulevard going into the mall. 

As for the Q46- What stops on New hyde Park Road do they have? When I used to live in Queens Village and get to LIJ I would take the 88 to the 46 at Springfield and Union. That bus would take me into the LIJ Campus and stops within the property-parking lot area. I dunno what has change from then. But stops on New Hyde Park Road, I'm ????  

New Hyde Park as in New Hyde Park, NY, I'm referring to  Lakeville Road which is on the L.I side of the border correct?. To the point that NYC routes seem to have no limitations operating outside the City's walls.

sFBLkXb.png

Edited by RailRunRob

1 hour ago, RailRunRob said:

New Hyde Park as in New Hyde Park, NY, I'm referring to  Lakeville Road which is on the L.I side of the border correct?. To the point that NYC routes seem to have no limitations operating outside the City's walls.

sFBLkXb.png

Yes. That is correct. Is that North Shore Towers is located also? 

The North Shore Towers is complicated because part of it is in Lake Success (Long Island), hence the QM6's destination sign since it picks up and drops off inside the North Shore Towers. Part of it is also in Queens in Floral Park. The complex and the country club/golf course is so big that the confusion is understandable.

10 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

The Q46 and QM6 have bus stop signs designed by NICE since the n25 also uses Lakeville Road to serve the Hospitals on it's way to/from Great Neck.

44 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

How many Long Islanders drive over for the QM6?

Very few.... The ones that do, tend to park in that small plaza just west of the diner on Union Tpke/Lakeville...

There are simply more LI-ers driving over for the QM5/QM8 though, AINEC.... They park & ride over there by the Q30's last stop (HHE/LNP)...

Being more specific, they come right off the LIE & park over here
(inside Little Neck Plaza (the strip mall) to the right, or in those little parking spaces to the left)

Edited by B35 via Church

8 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

NICE and Queens bus routes have historically kind of coexisted, since NICE used to be MTA Long Island Bus.

There are restrictions on Long Island routes (closed door in Queens), but NYCT/MTAB routes do not have this restriction. It's good that NYCT buses can go to major employment and retail destinations right outside the borders (LIJ, Green Acres Mall). However, they only go a short distance outside, because the effects on runtime and reliability would be very bad; the NICE buses that do run into the city have pretty long runtimes compared to city routes even with closed door operation. And NICE is probably one of the least reliable operators in the metro area.

39 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Very few.... The ones that do, tend to park in that small plaza just west of the diner on Union Tpke/Lakeville...

There are simply more LI-ers driving over for the QM5/QM8 though, AINEC.... They park & ride over there by the Q30's last stop (HHE/LNP)...

Being more specific, they come right off the LIE & park over here
(inside Little Neck Plaza (the strip mall) to the right, or in those little parking spaces to the left)

I didn't think so, but I could see the QM5 and QM8. The QM8 serves Downtown and has Super Express trips, and the QM5 can be more frequent. I think the QM6 would be more attractive if it didn't terminate inside of the North Shore Towers, but that would never happen. Those folks would raise hell.

1 hour ago, bobtehpanda said:

NICE and Queens bus routes have historically kind of coexisted, since NICE used to be MTA Long Island Bus.

There are restrictions on Long Island routes (closed door in Queens), but NYCT/MTAB routes do not have this restriction. It's good that NYCT buses can go to major employment and retail destinations right outside the borders (LIJ, Green Acres Mall). However, they only go a short distance outside, because the effects on runtime and reliability would be very bad; the NICE buses that do run into the city have pretty long runtimes compared to city routes even with closed door operation. And NICE is probably one of the least reliable operators in the metro area.

Probably? NICE is the least reliable transit system

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The North Shore Towers is complicated because part of it is in Lake Success (Long Island), hence the QM6's destination sign since it picks up and drops off inside the North Shore Towers. Part of it is also in Queens in Floral Park. The complex and the country club/golf course is so big that the confusion is understandable.

75% of it is on the Qns side all the Towers for sure. The Extreme eastern end Marcus Ave is on the Long Island side. So you go in the L.I to go back into Qns essentially to gain entrance. 

Edited by RailRunRob

12 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Not to bring any sort of politics into the mix. However, the (MTA) needs to come back and revamp the Long Island bus network it should be at the expense of a new county executive. 

Ed Mangano's NICE bus network has really caused so much havoc that there is no reliability   In service. I believe the (MTA) still owns Rockville Centre depot. They need to reactivate it and have bus ops there (easier said than done). However, it would create some normalcy within the regional bus network. NYC to Nassau.