BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

32 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Few notes about some artics runs:

The Q6 has some AM trips with one bus. The last trip seems to be from Jamaica around 10:40AM.

The Q7 is seeing some XD60s too. Recently saw the numbers of artics ranging from 1-3.

(Separate note, if you want to see a 6000 on these two routes you better start hunting now.)

1016 is doing AM trips on the Bx19 and is trackable.

Any idea what part of the AM 1016 is usually out? And is it going to be like 677 where it does one or two trips on the Bx19 and driver training for the rest of the day?

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

Any idea what part of the AM 1016 is usually out? And is it going to be like 677 where it does one or two trips on the Bx19 and driver training for the rest of the day?

I saw it out on bustime before 10AM, and this is the bus going to Bronx Park.

15 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I prefer the low floors because of the easy boarding and layout overall, but the drawback is feeeling every single bump... It's like your body takes the role of the shocks. I also hate the way these new buses jerk you around. If you don't hold on you can go flying for the smallest stops.

the new buses also don't have much power or a unique sound identity to them

13 hours ago, James Goodwin said:

MTA has been buying Low Floors in bulk since at least 2000, this is nothing new.

the only good low floors are the older Orion VII CNGs. Other than that, the buses all sound the same, and have a weak sound to them. The RTSs could get you from Riverdale Ave/263rd St to Riverdale Ave/231st St in 10 min. The hybrids take 20 min. Even Orion Vs had stronger sounding engines.  And those MCI Classics were speeding bullets going 70mph on the Deegan

On 10/20/2017 at 10:42 PM, danielhg121 said:

Does anyone know why a NICE bus has been sitting at Zerega?

Zerega? I know there's one sitting at the JFK vendor facility, but not Zerega....any pics?

11 minutes ago, 78 via Stew Leonards said:

You can't be serious. All of the new buses have higher horsepower than the older buses.

2 minutes ago, 78 via Stew Leonards said:

the only good low floors are the older Orion VII CNGs. Other than that, the buses all sound the same, and have a weak sound to them. The RTSs could get you from Riverdale Ave/263rd St to Riverdale Ave/231st St in 10 min. The hybrids take 20 min. Even Orion Vs had stronger sounding engines.  And those MCI Classics were speeding bullets going 70mph on the Deegan

That's one hell of an over-exaggeration. If the hybrids couldn't handle Riverdale, they wouldn't be on the Riverdale lines to begin with.

Also, sound isn't everything.

Just now, Cait Sith said:

Zerega? I know there's one sitting at the JFK vendor facility, but not Zerega....any pics?

You can't be serious. All of the new buses have higher horsepower than the older buses.

That's one hell of an over-exaggeration. If the hybrids couldn't handle Riverdale, they wouldn't be on the Riverdale lines to begin with.

Also, sound isn't everything.

Those RTSs were powerful rocketships, and I've ridden both the old and the new. The older buses had more speed, and power, and will probably get way more years than these newbies

6 minutes ago, 78 via Stew Leonards said:

Those RTSs were powerful rocketships, and I've ridden both the old and the new. The older buses had more speed, and power, and will probably get way more years than these newbies

I like the old equipment too, but this assessment is ridiculous, considering that the majority of RTSs can't get to 40mph faster than any of the newer buses. We're in the era of 6-speed transmissions in local buses, which provides more overall power output.

I get you have a bias against the new stuff, but it's best to not be one-sided.

Also, before we hit the era of Cummins buses.....all of our buses sounded mostly the same with Detroit Diesels. I'm not sure why this complaint is surfacing now.

Edited by Cait Sith

10 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:
On 10/20/2017 at 10:42 PM, danielhg121 said:

Does anyone know why a NICE bus has been sitting at Zerega?

Think he might be talking about it being at Cummins which is next door to Zerega. 

1 hour ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Hey @Via Garibaldi 8 or anyone else, what is the best way to make a complaint about a consistently bad express bus driver? Regular mail vs email?

Ps I like being able to tag users with the at symbol

It depends on the problem.  If it's ongoing, I will file a complaint online on the (MTA) website, then follow-up with my elected officials via e-mail detailing the problem, and letting them know that I've also been filing complaints with the (MTA) about the issue.  Of late the (MTA) has been so inundated with complaints about poor service that they simply can't even respond, but you will get an automated response stating that your complaint has been sent to the necessary parties to handle the issue.

We have a real big problem with one of the BxM1 Super Express buses.  We always get different drivers most of the time which means inconsistent service.  Some of them don't know the route.  Some BxM1 buses are supposed to skip Spuyten Duyvil entirely and run down Riverdale Avenue after 239th and Henry Hudson Parkway. It saves me at least 20 minutes overall. Every year there's an issue.  For a few weeks this year, I would go to get this bus and it was always running down Henry Hudson Parkway for the entire time down into Spuyten Duyvil.  I was livid because it meant a longer commute (I was already leaving earlier as it was because of poor express bus service) and I was determined to find out what was causing the problem.  The (MTA) claimed that they were sending out the bus. The problem was the driver didn't know the route and it also seemed as if they were not sending out a bus, so there were two issues at play and I was not accepting the idea of them trying to combine one bus to cover two buses which is what I suspect they would like to do. Anyway I raised hell, contacted my elected official and they took it from there. 

If your elected officials really give a damn and you have a community that's involved, it makes a difference in the type of transportation you receive, that I can say.  Things aren't perfect here, but they're much better than when I was on Staten Island.  There we have drivers out of Castleton that would consistently leave early even if they were the last bus of the morning, leaving numerous passengers stranded or forcing them into longer commutes going to other express bus lines. The real kicker was when they started cutting express bus service out there, some of the same guys that were running hot had the nerve to complain about the fact that they would likely lose their jobs.   I said to myself well maybe you should've thought about that when you were running hot and making us late for work. <_<

16 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

What's your definition of "consistently bad?"

In my book, late buses, buses missing from BusTime only when certain drivers are driving (I catch on fast to that routine and I document it and make sure I report the exact times, Bus numbers, the route, and anything else needed to show that there's a pattern. It's very easy to figure out when it's deliberate if you use BusTime regularly and know how it works, especially in my case since I was quite involved with the BusTime team at the beginning - we used to correspond regularly about issues directly via e-mail), drivers that make no effort to avoid traffic and sit in it when they have alternative ways to travel between the pick-up and drop-off segment, drivers that consistently arrive 20 minutes late even though they are at the terminal on-time, and ones that simply refuse to pull into the curb so you have step into the street and risk getting run over to get on the bus. Those are my biggest pet peeves for express bus service and usually what I file complaints about. For $6.50 we understand that buses will be late, but when it's ongoing and there's no effort made to correct the problem, that's when I lose it.  I usually also follow up my complaints with my elected officials so that they can put the heat on the (MTA) and Yonkers Depot in particular.  Service has been "ok" of late, but this morning, my BxM1 bus was not on BusTime...

Thanks VG8

1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

What's your definition of "consistently bad?"

Somewhat similar to VG8 said, one driver almost daily leaving late on a bus that is supposed to have a 10 minute headway. Sometimes she wont show up at all. 

It messes up the service on that bus and the subsequent buses. She is also rude to boot. 

All of the other College Point depot drivers that ive met do their job properly and courteously except for this one. 

5 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Thanks VG8

Somewhat similar to VG8 said, one driver almost daily leaving late on a bus that is supposed to have a 10 minute headway. Sometimes she wont show up at all. 

It messes up the service on that bus and the subsequent buses. She is also rude to boot. 

All of the other College Point depot drivers that ive met do their job properly and courteously except for this one. 

She's one of those calling herself going by the book because she's likely been written up before for running hot, so now she purposely leaves late. Problem with that is that bus and the one after it probably get slammed.  An express bus line that has 10 minute headways can be downright nasty if a bus is late or missing.  Wouldn't be surprised if one bus was SRO or close to it, and then with traffic being what it is for $6.50, that is not a fun commute at all.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

12 minutes ago, James Goodwin said:

Off topic, but anyone think bus company will get MCI D4500 CTEs?

It isn't "off-topic" since this is the Random Thoughts thread for buses. lol Anywho, you (MTA) Bus?  I can only hope that MCI wins the upcoming bid. The later Prevosts are okay, but they still aren't as well built as MCI buses are, and I think the MCI buses are more comfortable.

2 minutes ago, James Goodwin said:

No, you guys have the wrong idea. I'm new to the community.

Well apparently some people have their doubts.  BTW, I don't know who in the hell Ricky Coolan is, but apparently other people around here do. I'm just busting balls since I was told that we now have people back here that were banned before under several other names, so if you're one of those people, welcome back! :D

Just now, GojiMet86 said:

Hmmm, I don't know, R62CNG/2004OrionVIICNG/jgood6195/depotofrelax/James Goodwin.

I see you still like to ask a lot of questions.

My favorite one is "depotofrelax". :lol:

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

11 hours ago, 78 via Stew Leonards said:

You don't like the sound of the Nova LSFA artics? To me those are the best sounding of the newer bus models... I agree the newer New Flyers (The Xcelsior models)  are a little bland, only cool sound they have brake release sound on the Coumo wrapped buses. Read on here our newer buses aren't fast cause of how the TA spec the transmissions... ISL/Allison powered buses are very fast if they don't gear them to be slower to improve fuel economy. The 1700s in Nassau were rockets when they were new.

This new guy is writing too good to be depotofrelax...

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

She's one of those calling herself going by the book because she's likely been written up before for running hot, so now she purposely leaves late. Problem with that is that bus and the one after it probably get slammed.  An express bus line that has 10 minute headways can be downright nasty if a bus is late or missing.  Wouldn't be surprised if one bus was SRO or close to it, and then with traffic being what it is for $6.50, that is not a fun commute at all.

The offending driver never had standees, but was close to it a few times.

She needs to go. 

I still consider myself lucky, the other bus lines that make stops in the area have headways between 15 and 30 minutes if you separate branches. 

I've always wondered to myself - how are those Q111 services to Cedarhurst still in operation? I don't think that they're funded by Nassau County at all, and it's not well publicized, nor is it frequent. Is anything stopping the MTA from discontinuing the service?

1 hour ago, 67thAve said:

I've always wondered to myself - how are those Q111 services to Cedarhurst still in operation? I don't think that they're funded by Nassau County at all, and it's not well publicized, nor is it frequent. Is anything stopping the MTA from discontinuing the service?

I’ve always wondered the same thing myself. I think there is a school down there if I’m not mistaken so I think that’s why service ran there in the first place. The MTA recently cut a trip or two to and from there not to long ago, so that is proof that it ain’t used that well. I think they should call it a day and just axe that mini extension all together.