BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

So I was coming from the Lower East Side, and checking BusTime for the Battery Place express bus stop while I was on the (J) train. I was on the train, and saw that it said X10 6 minutes and 16 minutes, and X17 20 minutes and 32 minutes (I think it was 2:08PM, because I remember thinking the X10 would come at 2:14PM). I get out at Broad Street, run over towards Broadway, and see a bus that says "Next Bus Please". I figured it was the X10 since it was running late (though in hindsight, it could've been an X1). So I figure it wasn't too bad, since in about 14 minutes an X17 wouid come (heading outbound, the X17 is about 15 minutes faster). so it would be about a break even.

Anyway, I go into the Bowling Green station to combine some MetroCards, come out a few minutes later, and check BusTime, and it says the X10 & X17 are both about 8-9 minutes away (it said 1 mile, which would put them around the Worth Street area). I check again about 10 minutes later, and it still says they're about 8-9 minutes away. Around 2:40pm or so, the X10 comes, and I wave it off. At this point, I see the follower of the X17 is catching up, so if crowding is an issue, there would be one right behind it essentially.

So around 2:45pm, an X17 comes, and he has standees. I tell the B/O not to worry since there's another bus a couple of minutes behind him. He asks "Really? Where is he?" I say he's around Rector Street, so he asks some passengers if they want to get off, and 3 of them do. He thanks me for the information and pulls off. Around 2:50pm, the other X17 comes, and we pass the first one on the Gowanus. When we get to SI, I get off the bus, and wave to the driver of the other X17 as he pulled in behind. 

Long story short, whatever it was around Worth Street caused 20 minute delays on the X10 & X17 (I also saw 2 X1s pass by a couple of minutes apart, and 2 X27s and an X28). On a side note, I got burned by the (J) in the morning. I got to Broad Street, and the train pulled into the southbound platform and left without any announcement (usually, they announce if they're going to leave from the southbound platform). I should just get on at Fulton Street wherever possible to avoid this (maybe even take the (4)(5) a couple of stops if I'm coming from the ferry), because that gets annoying.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/26/2017 at 11:52 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It isn't "off-topic" since this is the Random Thoughts thread for buses. lol Anywho, you (MTA) Bus?  I can only hope that MCI wins the upcoming bid. The later Prevosts are okay, but they still aren't as well built as MCI buses are, and I think the MCI buses are more comfortable.

Honestly IDC whoever get's the order. Both MCI and Prevost make good buses IMO I just hope that these buses have full outlets with USB ports instead of USB ports only. 

Yesterday night, a :bus_bullet_b82: bus operator showed up very late to relieve his fellow operator. The bus was stalled for a half hour. I boarded a :bus_bullet_b6: and walked the rest of the way to my stop.

It took another 15 minutes for the operator to catch up with me. As I left the 7-eleven at East 105th and Flatlands, he finally passed me.

I think there should be consequences for this kind of bs. Not fair to riders, DEFINITELY not fair to colleagues.

34 minutes ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

Yesterday night, a :bus_bullet_b82: bus operator showed up very late to relieve his fellow operator. The bus was stalled for a half hour. I boarded a :bus_bullet_b6: and walked the rest of the way to my stop.

It took another 15 minutes for the operator to catch up with me. As I left the 7-eleven at East 105th and Flatlands, he finally passed me.

I think there should be consequences for this kind of bs. Not fair to riders, DEFINITELY not fair to colleagues.

Were there any traffic issues last night, b/c I can tell you there were was traffic in Canarsie + there's repaving going on Rockaway, parts of Flatlands on the canarsie and Spring Creek sections. 

Just a friendly message: There are going to be instances that a bus can show up to 30 mins late b/c that bus left the terminal early and if you run extremely HOT that's trouble.

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Were there any traffic issues last night, b/c I can tell you there were was traffic in Canarsie + there's repaving going on Rockaway, parts of Flatlands on the Canarsie and Spring Creek sections. 

Just a friendly message: There are going to be instances that a bus can show up to 30 mins late b/c that bus left the terminal early and if you run extremely HOT that's trouble.

Nope. This was a purely tardy moment centered around a no-show bus operator. Glenwood Road had a few snags but nothing else was preventing us from leaving.

I can accept late buses for any other reason, but the driver that was supposed to be relieved was suffering too. I boarded at Midwood so I can't account for that.

A few months ago, I was on a n/b B49 and we pulled into Ocean Pkwy & Avenue U. Relief Operator was tardy by 30 minutes. Apparently, she was traveling on a B3, dunno if it was late but I think it wasn't even the first B3 to arrive, it was maybe the second or third one. Later on, along the route, we were passed by an empty B49. Smh, I would understand if you were several minutes late but not 30 minutes late. Made the bus ride miserable. The original operator was pissed as well cause he can't leave the bus unattended. 

That happened to me on the B8 before, bus got stuck at 18th & 86 cause the relief driver wasn't there, driver made everyone get on the follower bus. B8 relief/relieved  drivers take the D train to JG depot, well that what one of the hawk drivers did years ago before they changed it.

I wouldn't be surprised if 82 relief drivers sometimes take the L train from eny depot to Caransie Rock Park where the 82 relief is at. I seen B15 reilefs ride the J train to flushing ave...

12 hours ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

10 hours ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

Nope. This was a purely tardy moment centered around a no-show bus operator. Glenwood Road had a few snags but nothing else was preventing us from leaving.

I can accept late buses for any other reason, but the driver that was supposed to be relieved was suffering too. I boarded at Midwood so I can't account for that.

How do you know if the operator was purposely late? They could have been held up traveling to the relief, which they have to do on public. If the bus/train gets snagged, then there will definitely be a delay to getting to the relief point. There are already consequences for being late/no-show, when it's the op's fault. If it's known that the relief operator is going to be late from jump, it is definitely a dispatcher's job to advise the Command Center and/or the bus operator to be relieved with instruction to mitigate the possible delay in service. Also, the best option may not always to be keep the operator going in service, especially when they have a second half that they still have to do.

6 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

With these last few posts about late relief B/Os I have an honest question.  Does anyone know if the operators are interlined with other lines? Just curious about that procedure.  Carry on. 

Depends on how the run is set up.