BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

10 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

How do you know if the operator was purposely late?

Because the one that was supposed to leave specifically said so.

Verbatim.

"I'm supposed to have been relieved. He asked for a ten minute head start and here we are. I can't go home, and neither can they."

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

It was a brake fire. An incident that involves either manufacturer does not sway their decision on which one to pick.

That sounds awful.

The last time I witnessed a bus catch fire was while I was checking my mail at the East Yonkers PO. Fire trucks, ambulances, AAR, backlogged 7's, charred rear, the whole scenario.

Funny fact: The bus number was 511.

23 minutes ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

Because the one that was supposed to leave specifically said so.

Verbatim.

"I'm supposed to have been relieved. He asked for a ten minute head start and here we are. I can't go home, and neither can they."

Where was the dispatcher? There's usually one there plus the swing bus in Canarsie.  Neither was there on Saturday when you mentioned this? 

3 hours ago, James Goodwin said:

So I rode the B74 a few days ago and I must say, 3 buses for a 2 mile route is overkill.

It's actually 3.1 miles long, including the entire loop from Coney Island to Bayview Avenue and back. I also just learned that one trip usually takes 21 minutes.

I can run 5 kilometers (3.1 miles) for cross country races in under 19 minutes.

That means I can literally run faster than this bus... wut

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Where was the dispatcher? There's usually one there plus the swing bus in Canarsie.  Neither was there on Saturday when you mentioned this? 

Not sure why we're hung on that technicality. This isn't about communication. This is about tardiness (no-show).

I previously stated that I witnessed a B82 with pax** pass the 7-eleven I exited on East 105th & Flatlands. Upon combing my mind, that was false. The bus I waited on was not a Nova***, which is what passed me. It was far newer.

I stated earlier that this did not occur where the bus terminates. The nearest "dispatch" was the Rockaway Parkway (L) station. I'm not sure if they deal with buses.

**pax = passengers

***= the oldest ones in the system which have the lift in the rear. It is literally a museum piece. The one I was on was likely an older version built by New Flyer but without the Excelsior wrap.

2 hours ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

It's actually 3.1 miles long, including the entire loop from Coney Island to Bayview Avenue and back. I also just learned that one trip usually takes 21 minutes.

I can run 5 kilometers (3.1 miles) for cross country races in under 19 minutes.

That means I can literally run faster than this bus... wut

I don't see the big deal. The bus makes actually goes to Sea Gate but doesn't terminate until it reaches the subway station, so it's 17-24 minutes to go from end to end.

43 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Why do the QM10/40/12/42 use the LIE in the PM instead of Queens Blvd? Seems silly to go spend time getting to the LIE instead of staying on QB, the first stop at Woodhaven under the bridge should be moved to Queens Blvd and Woodhaven

It's not like Queens Blvd is that much better.  I took the QM6 a few weeks ago, and God did it take forever to reach Union Turnpike and Main Street.  Too many lights. Kind of like what the QM2 does taking Northern all the way going towards Bay Terrace. I find that annoying too.  Should be a faster way to reach Whitestone.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

4 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Why do the QM10/40/12/42 use the LIE in the PM instead of Queens Blvd? Seems silly to go spend time getting to the LIE instead of staying on QB, the first stop at Woodhaven under the bridge should be moved to Queens Blvd and Woodhaven

Queens Blvd during the PM is worst than the LIE, especially between Roosvelt Ave and the approach to the Queensboro Bridge.

12 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's not like Queens Blvd is that much better.  I took the QM6 a few weeks ago, and God did it take forever to reach Union Turnpike and Main Street.  Too many lights. Kind of like what the QM2 does taking Northern all the way going towards Bay Terrace. I find that annoying too.  Should be a faster way to reach Whitestone.

The way I see it is QB is a hit or miss, the LIE is always bad during rush, and Northern Blvd is a pure nope at all times of the day. 

6 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

These kids are different now. However, you still have to stand your guard. 

For what? I was the Upper West Side a little while ago. Aside from obnoxious kids everywhere, no problems at all. I used to go out with my friends and hurl eggs on Halloween. Kids of today... Ugh... <_<

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

For what? I was the Upper West Side a little while ago. Aside from obnoxious kids everywhere, no problems at all. I used to go out with my friends and hurl eggs on Halloween. Kids of today... Ugh... <_<

These kids today are mostly into video games and not really too much on the mischief side of things.  I did the same thing back in the days in Flatbush and in East New York. 

34 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

These kids today are mostly into video games and not really too much on the mischief side of things.  I did the same thing back in the days in Flatbush and in East New York. 

Yep. I grew up in South Brooklyn (Sheepshead Bay/Manhattan Beach area). Either hung out with friends in Sheepshead Bay or in Manhattan Beach and went on the avenue and threw eggs. 

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yep. I grew up in South Brooklyn (Sheepshead Bay/Manhattan Beach area). Either hung out with friends in Sheepshead Bay or in Manhattan Beach and went on the avenue and threw eggs. 

I seee you have done your fair share of dirt like half of these buses on the road :lol:

16 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I noticed that kids don't throw eggs at buses during Halloween anymore. Back in the day egged buses were common.

Things have change since the 1980s. Most of my high school years (say the last two) was spent on working. Other than Mischief night on 10/30 (before it was right on Halloween night), I remember having one of my favorite buses (9046-CO, 4407-WA, 9277-GH, and 4494-CO) got hit with eggs big time. My streak of not getting hit with one came to an end in 1992. when I was living in Richmond Hill (102-104 on the {(J)}(Z) skip stop station.). Since then, 50s have put a halt on this thang. Here in Philly yesterday, at the Girard Station on the Broad Street Subway, spots of eggs can be seen. from the egg fight that happened after school. I missed the action, because I was in the suburbs after 1:30p. 

Has Cashless Tolling had an effect on Local and Express Bus services which use MTA's tolled crossings? (ie, M60, Q50, Q44, etc)

22 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Why go out and throw eggs, when you can go on Snapchat and show off your Halloween Filters?

Edited by N6 Limited