BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

On 10/31/2017 at 6:27 PM, trainfan22 said:

I noticed that kids don't throw eggs at buses during Halloween anymore. Back in the day egged buses were common.

On 10/31/2017 at 8:26 PM, Future ENY OP said:

These kids today are mostly into video games and not really too much on the mischief side of things.  I did the same thing back in the days in Flatbush and in East New York. 

On 10/31/2017 at 8:22 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

For what? I was the Upper West Side a little while ago. Aside from obnoxious kids everywhere, no problems at all. I used to go out with my friends and hurl eggs on Halloween. Kids of today... Ugh... <_<

For a lot of kids growing up in our generation, I'll tell you exactly why egg throwing died practically overnight..... Stores started rejecting the sale of eggs to kids around Halloween time in the late '90s/early 2000's... I remember that like it was yesterday.... Yeah, there were always workarounds (getting older friends/family members to purchase eggs or whatever), but there was only but so much of that you were going to do year-in & year-out....

In laymens, the "tradition" of chucking eggs at shit around Halloween time had gone & passed.... It never caught on to today's generation of kids....

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Has Cashless Tolling had an effect on Local and Express Bus services which use MTA's tolled crossings? (ie, M60, Q50, Q44, etc)

I haven't noticed much change on travel time for the express buses that use the QMT in the AM. Not many drivers in the HOV lane had EZPass problems when the booths were up. 

Today was a huge traffic jam because of the investigation at West Street. Thankfully, I just had to get to my Staten Island job in the morning, but I heard there were 3 hour delays. When I had to get to my night class, I checked and the Gowanus was still red (heavy traffic), so I took the SIR to the ferry. Coming back, thankfully everything was cleared up.

15 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

For a lot of kids growing up in our generation, I'll tell you exactly why egg throwing died practically overnight..... Stores started rejecting the sale of eggs to kids around Halloween time in the late '90s/early 2000's... I remember that like it was yesterday.... Yeah, there were always workarounds (getting older friends/family members to purchase eggs or whatever), but there was only but so much of that you were going to do year-in & year-out....

In laymens, the "tradition" of chucking eggs at shit around Halloween time had gone & passed.... It never caught on to today's generation of kids....

Not quite sure if that's the case.

This was taken on Halloween, this was one of a few cars on this E hit with eggs. Folks are getting bold.

23031287_10156715643919348_1008682455966

And then, this happened.

Also saw a few cars egged up on the walk home.

It still happens, but I don't think its as rampant as like 15 years ago.

22 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Not quite sure if that's the case.

This was taken on Halloween, this was one of a few cars on this E hit with eggs. Folks are getting bold.

23031287_10156715643919348_1008682455966

And then, this happened.

Also saw a few cars egged up on the walk home.

It still happens, but I don't think its as rampant as like 15 years ago.

You call that bold? I didn't see one incident of that, and I was on the (4)(5) and (1) trains that night.  Later I got the BxM2 home and all was well.  If all that was hit was (E) trains, that likely means that it was the same individuals.

Kind of shocked but not surprised the Q110 still uses artics in the rush. Found 5391 while waiting for the Q6 XD60 and tracked 5425 on the Q110 just now. So that means that now, MTA artics can be found on the Q6, Q7, Q64, Q110, Q10, Q52, Q53, Q111, Q113, and Q114.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain
Fixed Glitch in post

49 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Kind of shocked but not surprised the Q110 still uses artics in the rush. Found 5391 while waiting for the Q6 XD60 and tracked 5425 on the Q110 just now. So that means that now, MTA artics can be found on the Q6, Q7, Q64, Q110, Q10, Q52, Q53, Q111, Q113, and Q114.

One of those might be an interline with the Q64. I saw three on the the line last week and one of them wen to the Q64 later in the evening.

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

And then, this happened.

Looks like we won't be able to read it, it redirects me to a discontinue notice:

November 2, 2017

Dear DNAinfo and Gothamist Readers: 

Today, I've made the difficult decision to discontinue publishing DNAinfo and Gothamist. Reaching this decision wasn't easy, and it wasn't one I made lightly.

I started DNAinfo in 2009 at a time when few people were investing in media companies. But I believed an opportunity existed to build a successful company that would report unbiased neighborhood news and information. These were stories that weren't getting told, and because I believe people care deeply about the things that happen where they live and work, I thought we could build a large and loyal audience that advertisers would want to reach.

A lot of what I believed would happen did, but not all of it. Today, DNAinfo and Gothamist deliver news and information each day to over half a million people's email inboxes; we have over 2 million fans across our social channels; and each month, we have over 15 million visits to our sites by over 9 million people. But more important than large numbers of visits and fans, we've reported tens of thousands of stories that have informed, impacted, and inspired millions of people. And in the process, I believe we've left the world a better place.

But DNAinfo is, at the end of the day, a business, and businesses need to be economically successful if they are to endure. And while we made important progress toward building DNAinfo into a successful business, in the end, that progress hasn't been sufficient to support the tremendous effort and expense needed to produce the type of journalism on which the company was founded. I want to thank our readers for their support and loyalty through the years. And I want to thank our employees for their tireless effort and dedication.

I'm hopeful that in time, someone will crack the code on a business that can support exceptional neighborhood storytelling for I believe telling those stories remains essential.

Sincerely, 

Joe Ricketts 
Chief Executive Officer

Either way, what exactly was it linked to?

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You call that bold? I didn't see one incident of that, and I was on the (4)(5) and (1) trains that night.  Later I got the BxM2 home and all was well.  If all that was hit was (E) trains, that likely means that it was the same individuals.

Ever since Halloween I've spotted dozens of buses that were egged. Maybe it doesn't happen as often, but it still happens. There were XD60s on the 44 with eggs all over the window and I've seen other buses with egg on them as well. 

Just now, R188 7857 said:

Ever since Halloween I've spotted dozens of buses that were egged. Maybe it doesn't happen as often, but it still happens. There were XD60s on the 44 with eggs all over the window and I've seen other buses with egg on them as well. 

That's good to hear.  All I saw were tons of people everywhere, but no eggs.  I was in Manhattan and then in Riverdale, but my area is always quiet.

5901 has a different voice doing the "please exit though the rear door" announcement. This bus also has the screens and automated announcements announcing the route, quite a few buses around the system has the latter, but this is the first time I been on one with a different rear door announcement.

Lol at the E train getting egged, that line doesn't even go outside, someone bought eggs underground to throw at trains lol.

Wasn't 7281 the bus that was backed into in downtown Brooklyn about a year ago by the ENY OG hybrid?  If it was, I saw it in service on the Q58 today freshly painted BTW. 

And 3982,  the bus that was not secured by the rookie driver from the Q58 by Myrtle/Palmetto and rolled down the street for 3 blocks finally being stopped by a church building, was also on the Q58 today, repainted as well BTW.

On 11/2/2017 at 5:20 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Looks like we won't be able to read it, it redirects me to a discontinue notice:

'That's What Happens,' Says Driver Who Ran Over Teen 3 Times for Egging Car

By Jeanmarie Evelly | November 2, 2017 12:27pm

@jeanmarieevelly

TwitterFacebookEmailMore

The victim suffered a fractured skull base, multiple spinal fractures, bruised lungs and other injuries.

View Full Caption

DNAinfo/Alan Neuhauser

LONG ISLAND CITY — The driver who ran over a 17-year-old for egging his car on Halloween night told a shocked witness "that's what happens" after repeatedly crushing the teen under the wheels of his minivan, leaving him with skull and spinal fractures, authorities said.

Keith Richard, 50, of Long Island City, was arraigned Wednesday on attempted murder and other charges following the incident Tuesday night, in which he pulled a U-turn to drive his Dodge minivan onto the sidewalk on Jackson Avenue near 23rd Street and struck the teen, who was with a group egging his car, police said.

► READ MORE: Driver Mows Down Teen Who Threw Eggs at His Car on Halloween, Police Say

An eyewitness told police that after Richard ran over the victim, he reversed his van over him again before driving forward over the teen a third time, according to the criminal complaint. 

Richard stopped his minivan about half a block away, where the bystander told him that he might have killed the teen, the complaint says.

"That's what happens," Richard replied, according to the complaint.

The teen was taken to Elmhurst Hospital and treated for a fractured skull base, multiple spinal fractures, bruised lungs, a broken right femur, a pelvic fracture and a broken right ankle, officials said.

Richard fled the scene but was arrested shortly after, police said. He was charged with second-degree attempted murder, first-degree assault, leaving the scene of an incident and reckless driving. 

He was ordered held without bail and is due back in court Nov. 14, records show.

Richard's defense attorney did not immediately return a call seeking comment. 

33 minutes ago, P3F said:

'That's What Happens,' Says Driver Who Ran Over Teen 3 Times for Egging Car

By Jeanmarie Evelly | November 2, 2017 12:27pm

@jeanmarieevelly

TwitterFacebookEmailMore

The victim suffered a fractured skull base, multiple spinal fractures, bruised lungs and other injuries.

View Full Caption

DNAinfo/Alan Neuhauser

LONG ISLAND CITY — The driver who ran over a 17-year-old for egging his car on Halloween night told a shocked witness "that's what happens" after repeatedly crushing the teen under the wheels of his minivan, leaving him with skull and spinal fractures, authorities said.

Keith Richard, 50, of Long Island City, was arraigned Wednesday on attempted murder and other charges following the incident Tuesday night, in which he pulled a U-turn to drive his Dodge minivan onto the sidewalk on Jackson Avenue near 23rd Street and struck the teen, who was with a group egging his car, police said.

► READ MORE: Driver Mows Down Teen Who Threw Eggs at His Car on Halloween, Police Say

An eyewitness told police that after Richard ran over the victim, he reversed his van over him again before driving forward over the teen a third time, according to the criminal complaint. 

Richard stopped his minivan about half a block away, where the bystander told him that he might have killed the teen, the complaint says.

"That's what happens," Richard replied, according to the complaint.

The teen was taken to Elmhurst Hospital and treated for a fractured skull base, multiple spinal fractures, bruised lungs, a broken right femur, a pelvic fracture and a broken right ankle, officials said.

Richard fled the scene but was arrested shortly after, police said. He was charged with second-degree attempted murder, first-degree assault, leaving the scene of an incident and reckless driving. 

He was ordered held without bail and is due back in court Nov. 14, records show.

Richard's defense attorney did not immediately return a call seeking comment. 

Unbelievable. That's what happens. Sicko... <_<

On 11/2/2017 at 3:10 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Quite sure whoever did that was one of these "grown kids" (someone slightly younger than the both of us are, or someone in that mid 20's age group), or some actual kid that had outside influence from someone of our generation..... I can't fathom some kid (or some group of kids) did that on their own w/o influence.... These kids out here are on a different level of mischievous, and egg throwing doesn't fit the bill (thank god)....

I wouldn't call that bold either, but I for one am glad that I haven't seen one instance of egg yolk being splattered on any street, sidewalk, bldg., or anyone else's property otherwise that entire week... Not in the city here, nor through the parts of Nassau I drive though before I hit the entrance ramp.... Not one... Having to worry about some jackasses dropping eggs (or worse) off some overpass never came to mind either....

Matter fact, had it not been for that picture Cait posted, it's been at least a handful of years since now I've seen/read any instance of egg throwing..... I haven't exactly went searching for any stories either, but I can't chalk up whatever occurrences of egg throwing still going on, still being traditional (which is a good thing)....

Kinda like going to some nightclub in 2017 & some teen/20 something is doing the electric slide or something.... Like stop joker.... Just stop.... It's dead.... Go to bed.

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Quite sure whoever did that was one of these "grown kids" (someone slightly younger than the both of us are, or someone in that mid 20's age group), or some actual kid that had outside influence from someone of our generation..... I can't fathom some kid (or some group of kids) did that on their own w/o influence.... These kids out here are on a different level of mischievous, and egg throwing doesn't fit the bill (thank god)....

I wouldn't call that bold either, but I for one am glad that I haven't seen one instance of egg yolk being splattered on any street, sidewalk, bldg., or anyone else's property otherwise that entire week... Not in the city here, nor through the parts of Nassau I drive though before I hit the entrance ramp.... Not one... Having to worry about some jackasses dropping eggs (or worse) off some overpass never came to mind either....

Matter fact, had it not been for that picture Cait posted, it's been at least a handful of years since now I've seen/read any instance of egg throwing..... I haven't exactly went searching for any stories either, but I can't chalk up whatever occurrences of egg throwing still going on, still being traditional (which is a good thing)....

Kinda like going to some nightclub in 2017 & some teen/20 something is doing the electric slide or something.... Like stop joker.... Just stop.... It's dead.... Go to bed.

LMAO@electric slide. I haven't heard of that in a while...