BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

21 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Anything that isn't the front door, function as back doors.... The b/o will either [open the front door only] or [open the front doors, along with the back door].... In your case, he/she only opened the front door - and under the condition you give (an obstruction), rightfully so.....

There is no "SBS mode" where every single door opens (regardless of any situation), if that's what you may have been thinking....
Artics (operating as SBS' or not) aren't any less prone to having someone yell BACK DOOR whenever the b/o doesn't open them....

Thanks B35. I learn something new every day. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/23/2017 at 11:24 PM, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

How exactly do the doors work when a bus is in SBS mode?

I thought when the B/O makes a stop and opens the doors, all 2 or 3 doors open automatically. 

I was on a Q53 today where the B/O only opened the front door at one stop because of an obstruction. 

To further explain...

There is an "SBS mode" on the buses, but depending on the bus, it's actually labeled as such.

A simpler definition would be rear door mode. I'l break it down:

Passenger controlled

The regular way the back doors are controlled. Once the driver turns the door handle to rear, the back door(s) unlock and the passenger pushes the door open themselves. Usually they would slam back closed (Novas not included) unless someone pushed the tape/bar/strip in which they would stay open until the driver puts the handle back to close.

Driver controlled (SBS mode)

In this mode, once the driver turns the handle to rear, the back doors (the middle door on the artics count as a back door lol) open automatically and stay open until the handle gets put back to closed. Depending on the bus, it' called something different (touch tape bypass on the RTS, SBS mode on the Novas, etc), but it's all the same thing. Buses doing SBS routes (and to a lesser extent shuttle buses) are supposed to have their buses like this.

All it takes is a simple flip of a switch on the driver's panel. In your case, the driver turned the door handle to where the front doors would only open.

But like B35 said, that still doesn' stop people from yelling at the backdoors to open lol

4 hours ago, Fresh Pond said:

To further explain...

There is an "SBS mode" on the buses, but depending on the bus, it's actually labeled as such.

Passenger controlled

The regular way the back doors are controlled. Once the driver turns the door handle to rear, the back door(s) unlock and the passenger pushes the door open themselves. Usually they would slam back closed (Novas not included) unless someone pushed the tape/bar/strip in which they would stay open until the driver puts the handle back to close.

In this mode, once the driver turns the handle to rear, the back doors (the middle door on the artics count as a back door lol) open automatically and stay open until the handle gets put back to closed. Depending on the bus, it' called something different (touch tape bypass on the RTS, SBS mode on the Novas, etc), but it's all the same thing. Buses doing SBS routes (and to a lesser extent shuttle buses) are supposed to have their buses like this.

All it takes is a simple flip of a switch on the driver's panel. In your case, the driver turned the door handle to where the front doors would only open.

But like B35 said, that still doesn' stop people from yelling at the backdoors to open lol

That's because the average passenger likely doesn't realize the difference. When I'm on an SBS bus, I know that the doors automatically open, and that on a regular artic, the back doors have to be pushed. It would make more sense to just have all buses like this. The SBS lines have that setup likely because people board through all doors, while on the regular lines, they want to deter people from using all doors to board and not pay. That's the only logic I can find behind it.

14 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

I saw they are changing the q65 terminal routing under the guise of a "DOT iniative" but why though?

I thought they already done this. The Q65 used to turn left down 14th road and then had to make a right turn on 111th street and then a left on 14th Ave to it terminal. However about a year ago they changed the routing where the Q65 travels northbound to 14th Ave and then left straight down to 110th Ave to it's terminal which I assume is slightly faster. 

18 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

I saw they are changing the q65 terminal routing under the guise of a "DOT iniative" but why though?

The DOT did a study of the area and decided to screw the buses over rather than address the dollar cab issue.

On 11/24/2017 at 10:40 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

Couldn't even let me post my shot? Sheesh.

Anyway.

23795819_10156790991439348_7323946791445

I came across this while I was going to work a few nights ago. For some dumb reason. The DOT decided to fiddle with the area underneath the Jamaica LIRR Station. Instead of dealing with the cabs that cause 80% of the traffic problems, they instead choose to screw with the buses instead by moving the pick-up stop for the Q65 across the street heading south.

I get the fact that the buses also tend to cause issues when there's a bunch of them parked along that area, but its not as bad as the cabs that intentionally block buses from going to the stops(primarily the Q8 and the Q41), causing some serious traffic problems. The DOT's refusal of dealing with the cabs in the area is more than evident, and blatant at that.

On 11/25/2017 at 8:56 PM, Cait Sith said:

Anyway.

I came across this while I was going to work a few nights ago. For some dumb reason. The DOT decided to fiddle with the area underneath the Jamaica LIRR Station. Instead of dealing with the cabs that cause 80% of the traffic problems, they instead choose to screw with the buses instead by moving the pick-up stop for the Q65 across the street heading south.

I get the fact that the buses also tend to cause issues when there's a bunch of them parked along that area, but its not as bad as the cabs that intentionally block buses from going to the stops(primarily the Q8 and the Q41), causing some serious traffic problems. The DOT's refusal of dealing with the cabs in the area is more than evident, and blatant at that.

The real problem is that the AirTrain addition to the station was half-baked. Instead of putting a dedicated drop off lane on like 94th or something, they put a curb cut on Sutphin (not even in front of the AirTrain building...) and called it a day.

Really, the taxis should be moved to 94th. But the taxis over there are lowkey a cartel anyways.

On 11/25/2017 at 11:56 PM, Cait Sith said:

Anyway.

So this is the Q65 terminal move BreeddekalbL was talking about.

The taxis are definitely a huge problem in Jamaica. They park up in the bus stops and they add to the clutter. I think the police and the dot should start cracking down on these taxi drivers because it makes no sense that they are causing stops to be switched around and they prevent buses from coming into the bus stop, which means that they have to stand out in the middle of the street.

The old Q8 and Q41 (now the Q6 stop) on the corner of Sutphin and Archer Ave used to be the worst by far because you could see three vans and or cars parked up waiting for people.

On 11/25/2017 at 1:36 AM, Fresh Pond said:

To further explain...

Passenger controlled

It's worth noting once again that this is not tied to SBS explicitly. Bee-Line and NICE buses do this on all their routes, the latter mandating it (not allowing pax to exit without driver OK).

On 11/25/2017 at 11:56 PM, Cait Sith said:

Anyway.

The Q65 gets shafted because it, along with the Q25 and Q34, were recently extended over to the Sutphin Blvd for the Air-Train. It used to terminate at Jamaica Ave and 160th Street before the area got redeveloped.

Edited by NY1635

On 11/24/2017 at 10:58 AM, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

The fareboxes are programmed differently between local and express buses only. Similar buses will never charge a differential because they cost the same between each other.

If you program a farebox to take $2.75, it will take $2.75. If you program a farebox to take $6.50, it will take $6.50. If the data from a cheaper farebox [example=S4494 NE] is imprinted and put against one that charges more [example=X17J NE], the math is done to make it add up.

It is, by no means whatsoever, a glitch. 

Another example:

Bee-Line buses don't have to increase the fare alongside the city, but they choose to do so so as not to create a situation like this, but between the local buses of different agencies. They could keep the fare at $2.25 if they chose to, but transfers between city and Bee-Line buses would cost 50 cents (between their own buses, it'd be free though).

That app is a calculator. Use the formula I mentioned. It works with any calculator. Bonuses are applied at two rides or higher at the rate of refill x 1.05 = total after bonus.

I've been on an X17J before that was charging standard fare instead of premium fare. After the first few ppl dipped, she realized the error and corrected it. I even checked at ETC to be sure I was never charged the UP charge.
I will admit tho I idk if the bus was signed up as anything else at time because I got on before her sign was displayed on the bus. But I kinda doubt it because I remembered seeing the bus earlier during layover displaying X17J.

3 hours ago, NY1635 said:

The Q65 gets shafted because it, along with the Q25 and Q34, were recently extended over to the Sutphin Blvd for the Air-Train. It used to terminate at Jamaica Ave and 160th Street before the area got redeveloped.

11 years isn't recent. They got extended to Sutphin Blvd in 2006.

Regardless, that's a non-factor as to why they got shafted. I'm willing to bet that it's mostly because the DOT would rather not deal with the TLC.

3 hours ago, IAlam said:

I've been on an X17J before that was charging standard fare instead of premium fare. After the first few ppl dipped, she realized the error and corrected it. I even checked at ETC to be sure I was never charged the UP charge.
I will admit tho I idk if the bus was signed up as anything else at time because I got on before her sign was displayed on the bus. But I kinda doubt it because I remembered seeing the bus earlier during layover displaying X17J.

haaaa sneaky

Anyone following the holiday traffic drama at LaGuardia Airport?   People having to abandon their rides, and hoof it across the Grand Central Parkway with their bags in an attempt to catch their flights....

The new terminal construction has resulted in a real traffic gridlock nightmare.   The Port Authority and the MTA should have planned better, and set up a remote dropoff and pickup area, and only allowed buses to cross one of the access bridges into the airport, and serve the various terminals....or some such plan.....

12 hours ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

It's worth noting once again that this is not tied to SBS explicitly. Bee-Line and NICE buses do this on all their routes, the latter mandating it (not allowing pax to exit without driver OK).

I wasn' talking about bee-line or NICE bus...

Besides, all of bee-line buses have back doors that are automatically driver controlled (that's how they were spec'd)

13 hours ago, traildriver said:

Anyone following the holiday traffic drama at LaGuardia Airport?   People having to abandon their rides, and hoof it across the Grand Central Parkway with their bags in an attempt to catch their flights....

The new terminal construction has resulted in a real traffic gridlock nightmare.   The Port Authority and the MTA should have planned better, and set up a remote dropoff and pickup area, and only allowed buses to cross one of the access bridges into the airport, and serve the various terminals....or some such plan.....

They're doing more than hoofing.  They have to literally walk on the highway with their luggage and try to avoid being run over by other cars.  The only response that the (MTA) and the DOT has is to make the Q70 free, but that line doesn't even use artics.  I personally would avoid La Guardia and go to JFK.

MTA bus catches on fire in the Bronx

POSTED 8:47 AM, NOVEMBER 27, 2017, BY YASMIN SARA MERCHANT, UPDATED AT 08:46AM, NOVEMBER 27, 2017

Video: http://pix11.com/2017/11/27/mta-bus-catches-on-fire-in-the-bronx/

THE BRONX — An MTA bus caught on fire in the Bronx on Monday morning.

According to the FDNY, the fire was reported at 6:53 a.m. The bus was near the intersection of East 158 Street and Grand Concourse.

There were no reported injuries or transports and the fire has been placed under control.

It is not known at this time what caused the fire.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

MTA bus catches on fire in the Bronx

POSTED 8:47 AM, NOVEMBER 27, 2017, BY YASMIN SARA MERCHANT, UPDATED AT 08:46AM, NOVEMBER 27, 2017

Video: http://pix11.com/2017/11/27/mta-bus-catches-on-fire-in-the-bronx/

THE BRONX — An MTA bus caught on fire in the Bronx on Monday morning.

According to the FDNY, the fire was reported at 6:53 a.m. The bus was near the intersection of East 158 Street and Grand Concourse.

There were no reported injuries or transports and the fire has been placed under control.

It is not known at this time what caused the fire.

Should've been a Next Gen.

Well I learned the hard way to not try to catch an express bus on 5th Avenue the same day as the tree lighting...

All sorts of nonsense with the police barricading the sidewalks and splitting them in two, turning a five block walk into a waste of fifteen minutes and then when I finally got to the stop, it was barricaded off too. Ended up just walking up to the first stop at 57th Street and waiting for the next X37.