BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

28 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Well I learned the hard way to not try to catch an express bus on 5th Avenue the same day as the tree lighting...

All sorts of nonsense with the police barricading the sidewalks and splitting them in two, turning a five block walk into a waste of fifteen minutes and then when I finally got to the stop, it was barricaded off too. Ended up just walking up to the first stop at 57th Street and waiting for the next X37.

Yes, do that or take the subway further down and get the X37 there... Luckily I don't have to leave until later but I will be avoiding that area entirely when I head to the Upper West Side.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/27/2017 at 9:44 PM, traildriver said:

Anyone following the holiday traffic drama at LaGuardia Airport?   People having to abandon their rides, and hoof it across the Grand Central Parkway with their bags in an attempt to catch their flights....

The new terminal construction has resulted in a real traffic gridlock nightmare.   The Port Authority and the MTA should have planned better, and set up a remote dropoff and pickup area, and only allowed buses to cross one of the access bridges into the airport, and serve the various terminals....or some such plan.....

That's becoming a normal thing rn especially with the construction going on. The only effective solution atm would be a private car ban. So only Buses, taxis, ride-share, and other essential vehicles allowed. 

On 11/27/2017 at 11:24 PM, Fresh Pond said:

I wasn' talking about bee-line or NICE bus...

Besides, all of bee-line buses have back doors that are automatically driver controlled (that's how they were spec'd)

that's kinda why I mentioned it, out of perspective or a seen-this-before viewpoint.

the (MTA) is known for custom orders, too. It's why the price of things go through the roof. Even the type of CBTC being implemented isn't exactly being used anywhere else in the world and was done to make up for the lack of space in tubes.

4 hours ago, paulrivera said:

The Bx12 is flying today, which is pretty unusual for a Friday. The Eagle teams must be out somewhere along the line, which seems to be the only time the 12 runs smooth as butter.

How does this work? Eagle Team stops all the Bx12 buses in either direction or both and pulls all the farebeaters off the bus, so the doors actually close on the first try. LMAO

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

There’s this Shuttle Bus running between Bay Plaza and Pelham Bay right now. I hope this bus becomes a permanent thing so I can avoid the SBS completely on days like this.

since my previous post, the 12 has since gone to complete shit.

It was terrible on Thursday. I saw LOCAL buses sardine packed in both directions and an SBS bus went off-route somehow as it made a left from WPR to pick up passengers heading east. For some reason something happens in the afternoon where buses go from running decently in the Morning to total crap. I think the B/O's get lazy and take long layovers on the Midday trips. 

42 minutes ago, JubaionBx12+SBS said:

It was terrible on Thursday. I saw LOCAL buses sardine packed in both directions and an SBS bus went off-route somehow as it made a left from WPR to pick up passengers heading east. For some reason something happens in the afternoon where buses go from running decently in the Morning to total crap. I think the B/O's get lazy and take long layovers on the Midday trips. 

It's a snowball effect for sure. You get traffic on Fordham, traffic near WPR, traffic on the Thruway, people that stubbornly wait for the SBS and let locals go by relatively empty, and it becomes a total disaster.

Also, people tell me there's this driver on the PM's that hates the crowding to the point that he'll take his bus out of service if there's anyone that stands in front of the white line. One time I saw him from a different bus dump all his riders at the foot of the 207th Street bridge and made everyone walk back to 10th Avenue to get the next bus.

2 hours ago, paulrivera said:

It's a snowball effect for sure. You get traffic on Fordham, traffic near WPR, traffic on the Thruway, people that stubbornly wait for the SBS and let locals go by relatively empty, and it becomes a total disaster.

Also, people tell me there's this driver on the PM's that hates the crowding to the point that he'll take his bus out of service if there's anyone that stands in front of the white line. One time I saw him from a different bus dump all his riders at the foot of the 207th Street bridge and made everyone walk back to 10th Avenue to get the next bus.

I probably had that guy the other night. I think he was a Hispanic guy. Very rude and ghetto. He addressed me as "boss", which I was not pleased about. He may have meant well but "sir" is the appropriate way to address a grown man who is a passenger on your bus, with an excuse me included,  as I am not one of your damn home boys from the streets.  Learn proper etiquette. I hate when people take certain liberties that they don't have. You don't know me and I don't know you...

He clearly was not raised to understand how to conduct himself in a professional setting. I was this close to reporting him. I just looked at him, moved up a little so he could see his mirror and then dared him to say another word because I found his behavior overall unacceptable. He slammed the door in the face of an older Asian lady trying to board and then motioned for her to go to the middle of the bus and board there, but she originally thought he was trying to drive off and leave her. After that he started threatening to take the bus out of service yelling "y'all gotta move to the back!" over and over again like some kind of nut job. I said to myself who in the hell is this guy that he talks to people using such ghetto language? Loud and rude. No please or anything. Talking to us like we're idiots. Just another example of an (MTA) worker with no sort of etiquette or home training. This is exactly why I'm an advocate for higher standards for the job. Probably some high school drop-out.  You just don't speak to people that way in such a setting.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

12 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I probably had that guy the other night. I think he was a Hispanic guy. Very rude and ghetto. He addressed me as "boss", which I was not pleased about. He may have meant well but "sir" is the appropriate way to address a grown man who is a passenger on your bus, with an excuse me included,  as I am not one of your damn home boys from the streets.  Learn proper etiquette. I hate when people take certain liberties that they don't have. You don't know me and I don't know you...

He clearly was not raised to understand how to conduct himself in a professional setting. I was this close to reporting him. I just looked at him, moved up a little so he could see his mirror and then dared him to say another word because I found his behavior overall unacceptable. He slammed the door in the face of an older Asian lady trying to board and then motioned for her to go to the middle of the bus and board there, but she originally thought he was trying to drive off and leave her. After that he started threatening to take the bus out of service yelling "y'all gotta move to the back!" over and over again like some kind of nut job. I said to myself who in the hell is this guy that he talks to people using such ghetto language? Loud and rude. No please or anything. Talking to us like we're idiots. Just another example of an (MTA) worker with no sort of etiquette or home training. This is exactly why I'm an advocate for higher standards for the job. Probably some high school drop-out.  You just don't speak to people that way in such a setting.

Not saying this operator is in the right because it seems there are better ways to say things, I do have to say though, the MTA no longer wants employees to say sir or ma’am, or ladies and gentlemen, it’s offensive now to say things like that. Employees have gotten in trouble for calling someone sir, when the person said they were female and made a big stink about it. Filed a complaint and everything. So while he still could have said it better, sir or ma’am or miss, out as far as what Transit employees can say.

1 hour ago, petabread said:

Not saying this operator is in the right because it seems there are better ways to say things, I do have to say though, the MTA no longer wants employees to say sir or ma’am, or ladies and gentlemen, it’s offensive now to say things like that. Employees have gotten in trouble for calling someone sir, when the person said they were female and made a big stink about it. Filed a complaint and everything. So while he still could have said it better, sir or ma’am or miss, out as far as what Transit employees can say.

Well "dawg" "boss" or "G" is just as bad quite frankly. I had a meeting the other day with a mid-sized international bank at their office. Just imagine me and my colleague walking in and saying "Yo what's up dawg?" I have filed a complaint about that before. The guy sees me at the bus stop and then almost blows by me until I put my hand up and then addresses me completely inappropriately. The only reason the guy driving the Bx12 the other night did that was because I was in the Bronx and they think they can address people any old way because no one will file a complaint. A B/O admitted as as much to me during a conversation we were having, so they are very aware of what they are doing.

No B/O in Manhattan on say the Upper East Side would yell at their passengers because they would be pulled from service immediately. 

15 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

This is just racist and stupid. The last person to complain about not being called sir by one of those pesky colored folk was probably in Montgomery during Jim Crow. Filing a complaint for being told "what's up dog" is eye-wateringly stupid, and the kind of thing that makes B/Os hate passengers in the first place. Embarrassing post.

16 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Well "dawg" "boss" or "G" is just as bad quite frankly. I had a meeting the other day with a mid-sized international bank at their office. Just imagine me and my colleague walking in and saying "Yo what's up dawg?" I have filed a complaint about that before. The guy sees me at the bus stop and then almost blows by me until I put my hand up and then addresses me completely inappropriately. The only reason the guy driving the Bx12 the other night did that was because I was in the Bronx and they think they can address people any old way because no one will file a complaint. A B/O admitted as as much to me during a conversation we were having, so they are very aware of what they are doing.

No B/O in Manhattan on say the Upper East Side would yell at their passengers because they would be pulled from service immediately. 

Those are pretty dumb reasons to report an operator, all because he had a different way of addressing and/or greeting you.

Edited by Cait Sith

27 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Those are pretty dumb reasons to report an operator.

If it was appropriate they would be using it when addressing passengers on the subway and elsewhere. I've never had this occur on Metro-North.  I also made no sense for him to threaten repeatedly to take the bus out of service when people were moving in and doing what they could given the crowded conditions. That's just stupid.

34 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

This is just racist and stupid. The last person to complain about not being called sir by one of those pesky colored folk was probably in Montgomery during Jim Crow. Filing a complaint for being told "what's up dog" is eye-wateringly stupid, and the kind of thing that makes B/Os hate passengers in the first place. Embarrassing post.

Interesting. I've never addressed my customers as "dawgs".  "That" is embarrassing.

4 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

You're getting mad over "Boss"? That's like a standard New York greeting. I've been called that many times by both customers and workers.

No, I listed several things that were done that were rude. I've had drivers use "boss" with me before, but I've rode their bus before and they've always been courteous and spoke in a courteous manner. The tone that he used was not appropriate, threatening to take the bus out of service if we didn't jump to his every command, yelling out orders. There's a way to do anything. Paulrivera noted that he's become quite popular with passengers and it isn't because he is so professional.

No one passing judgment was there to really say what is and isn't appropriate behavior, and when others complain about professionalism here, I give them the benefit of the doubt, so I'm comfortable with my assessment.