BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Yeah, I've heard "Boss" thrown around. You'll usually hear the guys at the Halal carts, or at the deli say that. Doesn't bother me. I don't even remember the last time I called someone by "sir" lol. Maybe it's just me.

The halal guys I go to usually say "brother" or "buddy".

8 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

You're getting mad over "Boss"? That's like a standard New York greeting. I've been called that many times by both customers and workers.

Plus, with the way he likes to gloat about everything on here(I guess to make up for something else, who knows), you'd think he actually is one.....

If I don't know you, I'm not with anyone addressing me with 'G'....

"Boss", I personally don't mind.... I've never been in a situation where anyone addressed me as such, was on anything other than being cordial....

Dog/dogg/dawg is somewhere in the middle; depends what's being said before or after it.... Whatever direction the needle's moved in, will dictate what & how my response will be made after being addressed as such.....

This wasn't mentioned, but I also get "big man" a lot.... This is in the same category as "boss" is to me....

Now if we're on here talking about professionalism per se, then none of these mentioned above should be tolerated....

----------------

As for "sir", it goes two ways with me..... From an older person, I see this as a sign of respect..... However, the increased use of "sir" by younger folks in this generation (and I've said this before on this forum) still strikes me as condescension in a lot of cases.... There's a tinge of sarcasm to it that makes me wanna haul off & hurt somebody; as if I'm getting mocked for being your elder.... It's in the category of a limp ass handshake (even though a handshake itself is a sign of respect); you may as well not shake my hand at all.... I've gotten a LOT of that after interviewing people, but that's neither here nor there....

10 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

.... I don't even remember the last time I called someone by "sir" lol. Maybe it's just me.

I'm quoting this post for a specific reason....

Everyone's gonna have there preferences/breaking points on these types of things, but AFAIC, I can't bring myself to ever addressing anyone as anything aforementioned; G', "boss", "dog...", "big man", "buddy", "brother", "sir/maam/madame...".... When it comes to speaking to people IDK face to face, I'm robotic as hell - I'm not going to use any of these phrases because quite frankly, I'm not in it to try to maintain that type of rapport with anyone.... Believe me, I'm not in it to try to soften anyone up, I want your responses to be "real" (to be... "real", I want you out of my face as quick as possible - but to go about life not dealing with anyone is unrealistic)..... And more importantly, you don't know how people are going to take those sorts of things, so you don't open that door.....

6 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Plus, with the way he likes to gloat about everything on here(I guess to make up for something else, who knows), you'd think he actually is one.....

No I'm not compensating for anything.  My attitude is the American way.  I've worked hard my entire life and sacrificed, which allows me to "gloat".  That's how I look at it.  I've earned my way.  A lot of people are modest about everything and fake in terms of just being honest.  That's not me.  I'm blunt and direct and yes it comes off as arrogant, but I'm fine with that.   It's like the athletes that train hard and sacrifice and when they win it all they gloat.  Same thing in my book.  Everyone hates the Patriots, but the truth is they work their @sses off and they're talented as hell.  Ultimately people will hate you regardless.

30 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

If I don't know you, I'm not with anyone addressing me with 'G'....

"Boss", I personally don't mind.... I've never been in a situation where anyone addressed me as such, was on anything other than being cordial....

Dog/dogg/dawg is somewhere in the middle; depends what's being said before or after it.... Whatever direction the needle's moved in, will dictate what & how my response will be made after being addressed as such.....

This wasn't mentioned, but I also get "big man" a lot.... This is in the same category as "boss" is to me....

Now if we're on here talking about professionalism per se, then none of these mentioned above should be tolerated....

----------------

As for "sir", it goes two ways with me..... From an older person, I see this as a sign of respect..... However, the increased use of "sir" by younger folks in this generation (and I've said this before on this forum) still strikes me as condescension in a lot of cases.... There's a tinge of sarcasm to it that makes me wanna haul off & hurt somebody; as if I'm getting mocked for being your elder.... It's in the category of a limp ass handshake (even though a handshake itself is a sign of respect); you may as well not shake my hand at all.... I've gotten a LOT of that after interviewing people, but that's neither here nor there....

I'm quoting this post for a specific reason....

Everyone's gonna have there preferences/breaking points on these types of things, but AFAIC, I can't bring myself to ever addressing anyone as anything aforementioned; G', "boss", "dog...", "big man", "buddy", "brother", "sir/maam/madame...".... When it comes to speaking to people IDK face to face, I'm robotic as hell - I'm not going to use any of these phrases because quite frankly, I'm not in it to try to maintain that type of rapport with anyone.... Believe me, I'm not in it to try to soften anyone up, I want your responses to be "real" (to be... "real", I want you out of my face as quick as possible - but to go about life not dealing with anyone is unrealistic)..... And more importantly, you don't know how people are going to take those sorts of things, so you don't open that door.....

Yes, we are going through a generational shift IMO.  The younger generation in general is becoming less formal and more informal, so the idea of anyone using "sir" in a professional setting seems unnecessary and they do use it in a sarcastic mocking manner, but I'm from the old school. I address customers and others in a formal setting using sir and mam because that's how I was raised to show respect to others.  What each person deems as respectful will vary. I'm sure I come off as rigid, and I'm fine with that because it's a question of one's own values and standards.  

I'm similar in not being overly friendly with people that I don't know (I think it's a vibe thing where you sense how things should be with each person in terms of boundaries) and I think we both totally get where each other is coming from being roughly around the same age.  I have this space if you will that I don't think people should invade when we don't know each other.  As I said earlier, if we know each other, things like boss won't bother me depending on who is saying it and how it is said, but you have some that take liberties that they should not take.  There's being friendly and there is crossing the line and being sarcastic and disrespectful, which is perhaps where I felt this guy was going. If his overall attitude was more laid back I likely wouldn't had an issue with it, but he was clearly trying to show that "we" were on "his" bus and were going to do things on his terms with his yelling and threatening to take the bus out of service.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yes, we are going through a generational shift IMO.  The younger generation in general is becoming less formal and more informal, so the idea of anyone using "sir" in a professional setting seems unnecessary and they do use it in a sarcastic mocking manner, but I'm from the old school. I address customers and others in a formal setting using sir and mam because that's how I was raised to show respect to others.  What each person deems as respectful will vary. I'm sure I come off as rigid, and I'm fine with that because it's a question of one's own values and standards.  

I'm similar in not being overly friendly with people that I don't know (I think it's a vibe thing where you sense how things should be with each person in terms of boundaries) and I think we both totally get where each other is coming from being roughly around the same age.  I have this space if you will that I don't think people should invade when we don't know each other.  As I said earlier, if we know each other, things like boss won't bother me depending on who is saying it and how it is said, but you have some that take liberties that they should not take.  There's being friendly and there is crossing the line and being sarcastic and disrespectful, which is perhaps where I felt this guy was going. If his overall attitude was more laid back I likely wouldn't had an issue with it, but he was clearly trying to show that "we" were on "his" bus and were going to do things on his terms with his yelling and threatening to take the bus out of service.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from.... I'm more salutary in writing than I am vocally though... I only parrot salutations vocally if someone greets me as such, first... You won't find me initiating any Good Mornings/afternoons/nights (I've even gotten into spats with family members in the past over this).... If I don't know your name, I'll either grab your attention by saying "excuse me" (without the sir or madam after it), then commence saying/asking whatever I need to.... Or just look in your direction, make sure eye contact is maintained for some period of time, then come right out with my question/statement..... I'm not doing the whole boss, dawg, brother, big man shit....

I don't know about you, but I don't care if I come off as rude, curt, disrespectful, overbearing (ask MassTransitHonchkrow about this one), stoic, rigid, robotic, "too serious", etc.... I mean hell, I've been in conference calls where I've been told to "lighten up - and I'm sitting there like, I'm here to put food on my plate, not to try to pander & pucker up on buttcheeks..... FOH.

"You could be a little more respectful".... My response to that is usually "good for you", or "that's nice".... Usually get that from women.

As for the my bus shit, that's something else altogether & I've long grown tired of that crap from these b/o's.... It isn't much more than a foot stomping, temper tantrum throwing tirade that only portrays their lack of self dam esteem.... Matter fact, I forgot which day it was earlier this past week, but when I was picking up some acquaintances at the RR station (Mineola), I heard one of those NICE drivers bickering with some passenger, talking about get off my bus, The dude didn't pay his fare or something, I don't know... It was the same day when some switch at Merillon av apparently went defunct or whatever (what else is new w/ the LIRR).... I was laughing to myself, seeing a platform filled from end to end with ranger & islander fans due to the delay that night... Then I said aloud, "and this is why I stopped taking this"....

I'm not a bible thumper, but there's a passage that goes, do onto others as you would have them do onto you... Something like that.... So be there as it may, I'm a big proponent of leaving people alone..... It's nothing that I was necessarily taught, but more inherent....

Edited by B35 via Church

On 12/3/2017 at 6:25 AM, B35 via Church said:

On 12/3/2017 at 7:15 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

When I was growing up, my parents forced me in to using sir and madam, because it is a sign of respect. Furthermore, it was required by my employers when I worked in the summer. So when I say it believe me, I mean it as a sign of respect. However, if I were to mock/disrespect you, I'd like most other people in my age group would just call you out right then and there. 

The problem I see is that people that are older than me believe that I'm young and dumb, while people younger than me think I'm out of date. This is a problem that has always existed and will always exist for that matter. This is really just a never ending cycle, every generation has their own problem, and we love to judge every generation for their own problems, but not our own for what we do. 

2 minutes ago, IAlam said:

When I was growing up, my parents forced me in to using sir and madam, because it is a sign of respect. Furthermore, it was required by my employers when I worked in the summer. So when I say it believe me, I mean it as a sign of respect. However, if I were to mock/disrespect you, I'd like most other people in my age group would just call you out right then and there. 

The problem I see is that people that are older than me believe that I'm young and dumb, while people younger than me think I'm out of date. This is a problem that has always existed and will always exist for that matter. This is really just a never ending cycle, every generation has their own problem, and we love to judge every generation for their own problems, but not our own for what we do. 

Very good post.  I realize my way of thinking is "outdated", but it all comes down to how you were raised and the type of environment that you're in.  Your generation and mine for that matter tend to be a lot more informal, so using boss is now seen as the norm.  

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Very good post.  I realize my way of thinking is "outdated", but it all comes down to how you were raised and the type of environment that you're in.  Your generation and mine for that matter tend to be a lot more informal, so using boss is now seen as the norm.  

That is true there is always a grey area that needs to be looked into. A lot of times things I do like, not greet people, have more to do more with my anti-social tendencies than being disrespectful.  

Just now, IAlam said:

That is true there is always a grey area that needs to be looked into. A lot of times things I do like, not greet people, have more to do more with my anti-social tendencies than being disrespectful.  

Something else I just thought about.  It used to be that just about all of the drivers were OLDER than me, and that's been the case for years now. Only recently have the guys that I've been getting been younger than me, so there's an adjustment there too, greetings being one of them.  I get the impression that a lot of the old-timers are retiring or will be soon.

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Something else I just thought about.  It used to be that just about all of the drivers were OLDER than me, and that's been the case for years now. Only recently have the guys that I've been getting been younger than me, so there's an adjustment there too, greetings being one of them.  I get the impression that a lot of the old-timers are retiring or will be soon.

I mean it's so surprise they've done their time. After a certain point everyone looks forward to retirement.

But, I'll agree with you and the adjustment. The first time I went to a family party and was excluded by the kids for being too old felt weird. They did their own thing without the rest of the college / highschool students. It was the first time that I realized that I was getting older. 

On 12/2/2017 at 2:23 PM, Cait Sith said:

Those are pretty dumb reasons to report an operator, all because he had a different way of addressing and/or greeting you.

I know this lesson well. I kinda just fire back now. If they're taking their bad day out on me, I'll be sure to make it worse.

And join them on their round trip back. ):-}

6 hours ago, IAlam said:

Yeah, that's all fine & good, and I don't know how old you claim to be - but if you were to ever address me as "sir", and you're infact younger than I am, just know that there's going to be some scrutiny on my end on just how sincere you really are with it....."Sir" simply means more to me coming from an elder than from someone younger, because to me, it holds more weight & that's not going to change... It's no different than if some elder were start talking about "that latest app'" & what not, compared to someone younger... I'm going to take the younger person more seriously, as we are in the technology era & they have to be far more in tune with it..... Heathcliff Ebenezer what's his face wasn't on Transit (the app) to see how long his conestoga would arrive, to carry his tobaccy chewing ass off into the sunset !!!

So it is what it is with that.

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

....and you're gonna be hearing more of these informal greetings when that happens.

iAlam wants to bring up the fact that judgments b/w generations exist, well here's a doozy of one..... The difference in levels of respect between the two current youngest generations are by far the worst between any other two generations I've been alive to experience - and I don't see that getting any better..... We went from younger folks not even being able to be in the dam room when elders were talking, to younger folks having adult conversations at much younger ages & lashing out at their elders without any hesitancy or care in the world, on top of it....

10 minutes ago, Kingjunior34 said:

Why are some bus routes only and fully limited 

Other routes provide the local service. The B103 runs local in Canarsie and then limited once it gets into areas served by the B6, B41, and B37. The Q50 is covered by the Bx5 in The Bronx and Flushing-bound routes in Queens. And a similar situation with most of the other routes.

13 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Other routes provide the local service. The B103 runs local in Canarsie and then limited once it gets into areas served by the B6, B41, and B37. The Q50 is covered by the Bx5 in The Bronx and Flushing-bound routes in Queens. And a similar situation with most of the other routes.

FYI. B103 is limited throughout the route including Canarsie. The whole entire route is limited. B100 is local. 

14 hours ago, Kingjunior34 said:

Why are some bus routes only and fully limited 

Historically speaking, some "LTD only" routes were created as compromises due to discontinuation of rail service....

14 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Other routes provide the local service. The B103 runs local in Canarsie and then limited once it gets into areas served by the B6, B41, and B37....

Even though it makes as many stops in Canarsie that it does, it still doesn't run local (like, say, the B35 LTD west of McDonald or the B6 LTD west of Coney Island av.).... There are stints along Av. M where stops are about 4-5 blocks apart; buses could be making more stops along Av. M if it were a local,,,,

--------

Nobody puts it like this, but the B17 is quote-unquote the Canarsie local..... The B42 of course is a local service also, but it's viewed/utilized as a shuttle (even if folks aren't going to/from the (L) )....

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

What's going on with the installation of WiFi on express buses? I thought it is supposed to be on every single one by the end of the month. Barely 1/4 of CP buses seem to have it.  

Well from my understanding, Wi-Fi on express buses is a pilot program, not something that would be on every express bus, and they may be looking at it from a demographic point of view in terms of income levels.  The higher the income level, the less likely those people will use Wi-Fi.  I noticed that a lot of Eastchester express buses have it, but with the exception of Country Club and parts of Throggs Neck which are upper middle class, the other areas served are working class to middle class, people that perhaps would use it, as they would be watching their money a bit more. 

However, I don't think any of the Yonkers express buses have Wi-Fi, and quite frankly, when I tried it several months ago on a BxM6 express bus out of Eastchester Depot going back to Manhattan, it was so spotty and horrid that I wouldn't bother with it. Just about all of the CP express buses go through Northeast Queens, which is generally upper middle class overall, so I don't see that many people using it.  What I have seen is people charging their phones on the QM2, QM5 and QM6.  I have an unlimited data plan with Verizon, but my speeds are supposedly slowed down sometimes because I stream NHL games on my phone when I'm traveling, and since I always do that set on the highest viewing quality possible, watching games regularly eats up bandwith quickly, so initially I thought I would use free Wi-Fi here and there to cut back a bit, but it's not secure, so since the speeds are still near 4G quality from my experiences, I don't bother using any hot-spots save for ones in my office since those are secure. Whatever I use for the month I use, since it is supposed to be unlimited.  What I use more so is the charging on the express buses. Those are God send.  I just walk around with a USB cable if I'm going to be commuting via the express bus for long periods of time (I don't even bother with the adapter) and my phone is charged fast (the newer phones charge up really good even with them not charged directly into a wall).

Saturday I took the BM3 to Brooklyn.  Charged my phone up on my way back to the city and didn't need another charge for the whole day, and this was roughly a good eight hours of running errands, shopping, and jumping on subways and express buses in between.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Earlier today I seen a B6 during rush hour and the middle and front was crushloaded with people standing in the staircase (it was an RTS), what's funny was, the past the rear door their was plenty of space, people not moving past the rear door is an issue on HF buses as well, kinda reminded me of those ads on Green Lines buses where all the people piled up on top of each other while a rider exited the rear of the bus comfortably.

On 12/6/2017 at 10:33 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Well from my understanding, Wi-Fi on express buses is a pilot program, not something that would be on every express bus, and they may be looking at it from a demographic point of view in terms of income levels.  The higher the income level, the less likely those people will use Wi-Fi.  I noticed that a lot of Eastchester express buses have it, but with the exception of Country Club and parts of Throggs Neck which are upper middle class, the other areas served are working class to middle class, people that perhaps would use it, as they would be watching their money a bit more. 

However, I don't think any of the Yonkers express buses have Wi-Fi, and quite frankly, when I tried it several months ago on a BxM6 express bus out of Eastchester Depot going back to Manhattan, it was so spotty and horrid that I wouldn't bother with it. Just about all of the CP express buses go through Northeast Queens, which is generally upper middle class overall, so I don't see that many people using it.  What I have seen is people charging their phones on the QM2, QM5 and QM6.  I have an unlimited data plan with Verizon, but my speeds are supposedly slowed down sometimes because I stream NHL games on my phone when I'm traveling, and since I always do that set on the highest viewing quality possible, watching games regularly eats up bandwith quickly, so initially I thought I would use free Wi-Fi here and there to cut back a bit, but it's not secure, so since the speeds are still near 4G quality from my experiences, I don't bother using any hot-spots save for ones in my office since those are secure. Whatever I use for the month I use, since it is supposed to be unlimited.  What I use more so is the charging on the express buses. Those are God send.  I just walk around with a USB cable if I'm going to be commuting via the express bus for long periods of time (I don't even bother with the adapter) and my phone is charged fast (the newer phones charge up really good even with them not charged directly into a wall).

Saturday I took the BM3 to Brooklyn.  Charged my phone up on my way back to the city and didn't need another charge for the whole day, and this was roughly a good eight hours of running errands, shopping, and jumping on subways and express buses in between.

I just wish they added full outlets to every seat. I made the mistake of buying a gaming laptop and that requires a lot of juice. Using my laptop for the duration of the entire trip can drain 1/2-2/3 of my battery life. 

A few routes are still running arctics. Namely the Bx4, Bx4A, Bx5, and M60 SBS (To be fair, the Bx4 and Bx4A are both operating one OG and NG respectively). Maybe those Bx routes are less hilly than the others so they kept arctics out there? I'm not sure...

M14A/D, M23 SBS, M34 SBS, M34A SBS, M86 SBS all are 100% arctics, or have arctics mixed with 40 footers.

----------------

Seems the Bx is primarily like last year, save for the RTS. Loaners or arctic downgrades so far:

Bx1: NG/LFS

Bx2: NG/OG/LFS, 4683, 6861, 6896

Bx3: 6864

Bx4/A/5: See above

Bx7: 3850, 7317

Bx9: NGs

Bx10: 6868

Bx12: NGs, LFS

Bx12 SBS: NGs, LFS, 6894

Bx22: C40LFs, VII CNGs, XN40s

Bx39: NGs, LFS

Bx40: C40LFs, VII CNGs, 4079

Bx41: NGs

Bx41 SBS: NG/LFS

Bx42: C40LFs, VII CNGs, XN40s

Queens MTAB:

Q6: 498

Q9: 516

Q10: 8933, 8969, 8994

Q52 SBS: 501, 513

Q110: 4155

Q111: 4153, 4654

Q113: 4638

Q114: 4649

There were C40LF on the Q60 and Q8 earlier.

Manhattan's primarily a mix of OGs from FP, EN, MV, OF, NGs from MQ, MV, OF, RTS from MQ.

M100 has 6856

B44 SBS and the M Shuttle are XD40s, 

Edited by Orion6025