BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

33 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It seems like they keep changing them, and not for the better...

The MTA has not been happy with the other signs(that's currently on the SBS novas) because of their failure rate and the cost to repair them. The reliability of those signs sucks.

I think it moreso has to do with the fact that some of those new buses do not have the new M79 SBS codes. Sometimes, when a bus does not have the new codes and the operator puts the appropriate code on the bus, it'll just stay blank on those. A sign that's not on doesn't always mean that they are broken.

1 minute ago, Cait Sith said:

The MTA has not been happy with the other signs(that's currently on the SBS novas) because of their failure rate and the cost to repair them. The reliability of those signs sucks.

I think it moreso has to do with the fact that some of those new buses do not have the new M79 SBS codes. Sometimes, when a bus does not have the new codes and the operator puts the appropriate code on the bus, it'll just stay blank on those. A sign that's not on doesn't always mean that they are broken.

I guess that's possible too.  In those cases, would the entire bus be unable to display anything (side and back on the bus)? I didn't bother to check when I got off.

22 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Those Luminator signs are absolute garbage. I don't know what they did to those signs on the XD40 batch that CS has, but multiple buses have been getting these large green boxes stuck on their destination signs. It's one thing when it happens to one bus, it's completely different when 5+ buses are experiencing the same issues with their signs. 

2 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

The MTA needs to go back to Luminator possibly for the option orders.  I believe the 5364-5438 MTA bus order has Luminator. 

Can the font be decreased a bit with those Hanover signs? 

Those were Axion signs. Those they didn't have a problem with. But the issue is that Luminator owns Axion, and with that, they won't be going back to them because of the many problems that the Luminator Spectrum signs have been going through, along with Axion's association with Luminator.

3 minutes ago, R188 7857 said:

Those Luminator signs are absolute garbage. I don't know what they did to those signs on the XD40 batch that CS has, but multiple buses have been getting these large green boxes stuck on their destination signs. It's one thing when it happens to one bus, it's completely different when 5+ buses are experiencing the same issues with their signs. 

That used to be a fairly common occurrence in Manhattan. From CS, I used to see that often with 7390.

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

Those were Axion signs. Those they didn't have a problem with. But the issue is that Luminator owns Axion, and with that, they won't be going back to them because of the many problems that the Luminator Spectrum signs have been going through, along with Axion's association with Luminator.

Yikes. That I didn't know. But yes. Those Axion signs are excellent.  Just only wish that acquisition didn't happen tho. From reading everything so far the spectrums are being problem prone. 

I totally forgot the 5364-5373 also do have Axion signs. 

I've only got to see the white color signs on the Q70 XD40's only a handful of times. 

1 hour ago, R188 7857 said:

I know 7405 has one green box... haven't seen it on other routes.

About the signs, I personally liked the Q44 Nova LFS destination sign. The Q44 XD60 letters are so blocky but the blue color is better. Wished they would keep the font from the Nova Bus.

3 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I rode the X68 yesterday, and geez, it kept playing those loud, annoying automated "thank you for riding with the MTA" messages while everyone was trying to sleep. I've never heard those announcements on the QM's. 

Yes that's because the X68 uses newer MCIs.  CP's express buses go up to 2007, which is the cut-off for those stupid automated announcements. The MCI buses from 2008 on have them, so on occasion I deal with them when I use the BM1, BM3 or BM4.

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yes that's because the X68 uses newer MCIs.  CP's express buses go up to 2007, which is the cut-off for those stupid automated announcements. The MCI buses from 2008 on have them, so on occasion I deal with them when I use the BM1, BM3 or BM4.

Well, I guess that's one reason not to want replacement buses. Unless they don't have them play on any new orders going forward. I can't imagine anyone likes listening to them. 

I had quite an entertaining ride on the B42, bus dwelled at one stop for quite some time because the driver was brickering with someone, most likely someone was standing in front of the white line and refused to move. 

Of course this delay caused quite a few passengers to get Aggy voicing their frustration out loud, two B42 buses passed us while we were stuck at the stop.

We finally get moving and rider yells out to report the driver's badge number to the MTA, another rider yells F*** all that ain't nobody got time for that F*** the MTA.

Somebody had to get off at the very next stop, someone wanted to get on which cause more delays and a 3rd B42 passed us.

A few stops later someone is standing too close to the back door and the drivers tells him to move, the passenger replies "drive the bus a$$ hole" he also tells the driver to "suck pu$$y" he stands there for a bit longer before finally moving, passenger gets off at the very next stop and yells to the driver "suck a dikk driver" and then gets off the bus.

One of the most eventful bus rides I ever had and to think, it happened on a short route like the 42. Also the driver probably lost all his recovery time as 3 42s passed us and a 4th bus was a block away when I got off. Dude had to be way behind schedule.

1 hour ago, Brillant93 said:

How did the old private bus lines such as Geen Lines and Command bus collected their fares? I know they didn't have metrocards so did they have machines that just took coins?

They had fare boxes just like the NYCT buses, I used my MetroCard to pay my fare on Green line buses when they were still around.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

One of the most eventful bus rides I ever had and to think, it happened on a short route like the 42. Also the driver probably lost all his recovery time as 3 42s passed us and a 4th bus was a block away when I got off. Dude had to be way behind schedule.

At that point, he might as well just sit there until it's time to do his following round-trip.

I think during the summer and when it’s at the end of the year buses should adjust their schedule. The reason being is that when school is out and people are going on vacation traffic isn’t as bad during most of the year. I know this happens only when there are certain holidays. Correct me if I’m wrong though.

On 12/28/2017 at 4:16 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

Well, I guess that's one reason not to want replacement buses. Unless they don't have them play on any new orders going forward. I can't imagine anyone likes listening to them. 

No one wants to hear that nonsense, at least not on express buses. As usual, its more corporate BS, with their subliminal programming. I understand the need to give useful info, but those announcements are largely unnecessary on the express bus.

20 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

How did the old private bus lines such as Geen Lines and Command bus collected their fares? I know they didn't have metrocards so did they have machines that just took coins?

Used mine on Command Express bus BM1 and BM2 back in the day. Those rides were bumpy and some buses weren't governed. 

1 minute ago, Future ENY OP said:

Used mine on Command Express bus BM1 and BM2 back in the day. Those rides were bumpy and some buses weren't governed. 

They still had buses from the 1980s and they looked so old imo. I often thought those buses looked like school buses just with white paint and green strips. When the MTA took over they got those buses out of there fast. I remember during the take over they shifted lots of old private buses around. I rode so many bus models from tribeca coach, queens surface, Jamaica lines and so on. It was interesting though. 

I got to ride an RTS on one of the 3rd Ave routes today:D it felt like an vintage bus as outside of snow Storms they haven't ran there since the 90s or early 2000s, it was so cool seeing RTS and hybrids working the 100th street routes, it almost felt like an alternate reality. 

I also saw an RTS on the M100, 5198 I believe.